2020 yz85 or used 2010-2017ish ktm85 sx

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2020 3:47 AM

So my son wants to start racing this year and training and all that. Right now we only have him a little beginner bike it’s a 01 rm80. It is a decent starter bike but other than that it sucks. We really want a ktm but there prices are through the roof so... we have a budget I can get either a 2020 yz85 or I can try to find a used ktm85 and hope that it is okay and I don’t know what year I’ll be able to get on that. Anyone here know what I should do?

|

7/6/2020 4:33 AM

Id go with the brand new bike.

|

7/6/2020 4:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 4:39 AM

YZ. He needs seat time and that Yamaha will be rock solid. Used KTMs are a crap shoot and you dont want that thing in the shop or on the stand while hes begging you to go ride. Itll sap his desire. Believe me I know.

That Yamaha is plenty of motorcycle for him.

|

7/6/2020 4:40 AM

nascarnate326 wrote:

Id go with the brand new bike.

Yeah. The new YZ is a great bike. Also, being brand new means no problems at all.
Keep the air filter clean, engine oil every 10/15 hours and run it with clean gas, 33:1.

|

7/6/2020 5:00 AM

Get the brand new YZ. Then if you start taking racing seriously upgrade to the latest generation SX/TC.

|

7/6/2020 5:06 AM

The KTM is that much more than the Yamaha?

|

'20 CRF250R
'20 KTM SX-E5
'18 CRF50
'15 PW 50
(2) STACYC 16eDrives

7/6/2020 5:09 AM

soopah noviss wrote:

The KTM is that much more than the Yamaha?

I mean yea it really is. The brand new ktm is $5,999 and the Yamaha is $4,699

|

7/6/2020 5:52 AM

BeastKid7147 wrote:

I mean yea it really is. The brand new ktm is $5,999 and the Yamaha is $4,699

You can buy a lot of gas, top ends, tires, sprockets/chains, race fees and practice days for $1300. Or maybe some lessons for your boy.

|

7/6/2020 5:58 AM

soopah noviss wrote:

The KTM is that much more than the Yamaha?

BeastKid7147 wrote:

I mean yea it really is. The brand new ktm is $5,999 and the Yamaha is $4,699

kage173 wrote:

You can buy a lot of gas, top ends, tires, sprockets/chains, race fees and practice days for $1300. Or maybe some lessons for your boy.

Yep exactly. So I guess from all your guys suggestion I’m just gonna go with the yz85

|

7/6/2020 6:06 AM

BeastKid7147 wrote:

I mean yea it really is. The brand new ktm is $5,999 and the Yamaha is $4,699

kage173 wrote:

You can buy a lot of gas, top ends, tires, sprockets/chains, race fees and practice days for $1300. Or maybe some lessons for your boy.

BeastKid7147 wrote:

Yep exactly. So I guess from all your guys suggestion I’m just gonna go with the yz85

Wont regret😉

|

7/6/2020 6:28 AM

kage173 wrote:

You can buy a lot of gas, top ends, tires, sprockets/chains, race fees and practice days for $1300. Or maybe some lessons for your boy.

BeastKid7147 wrote:

Yep exactly. So I guess from all your guys suggestion I’m just gonna go with the yz85

MZ193 wrote:

Wont regret😉

Thanks for the help guys❤️

|

7/6/2020 6:51 AM

How’s your RM? If it’s not too roached, spend the new bike money on more seat time and some lessons with a local trainer.

|

7/6/2020 11:14 AM

BeastKid7147 wrote:

So my son wants to start racing this year and training and all that. Right now we only have him a little beginner bike it’s a 01 rm80. It is a decent starter bike but other than that it sucks. We really want a ktm but there prices are through the roof so... we have a budget I can get either a 2020 yz85 or I can try to find a used ktm85 and hope that it is okay and I don’t know what year I’ll be able to get on that. Anyone here know what I should do?

new yz85

|

7/6/2020 2:01 PM

A good used 2018+ KTM/Husky 85 is worlds better than the new YZ85, period. I wasn't impressed with the reliability of the newer YZ's we had in our circle which were eventually sold for the KTM's anyway. You should easily be able to find a nice 2018 for around $3500. I just sold ours for that to a kid coming of a "new" YZ with less than half the hours that looked roached & not from lack of maintenance............

|

7/6/2020 2:34 PM

Tracktor wrote:

A good used 2018+ KTM/Husky 85 is worlds better than the new YZ85, period. I wasn't impressed with the reliability of the newer YZ's we had in our circle which were eventually sold for the KTM's anyway. You should easily be able to find a nice 2018 for around $3500. I just sold ours for that to a kid coming of a "new" YZ with less than half the hours that looked roached & not from lack of maintenance............

Idk where you are from but I can’t find anything good for only 3500 barley any 15-18s at all

|

7/7/2020 10:51 AM

Tracktor wrote:

A good used 2018+ KTM/Husky 85 is worlds better than the new YZ85, period. I wasn't impressed with the reliability of the newer YZ's we had in our circle which were eventually sold for the KTM's anyway. You should easily be able to find a nice 2018 for around $3500. I just sold ours for that to a kid coming of a "new" YZ with less than half the hours that looked roached & not from lack of maintenance............

BeastKid7147 wrote:

Idk where you are from but I can’t find anything good for only 3500 barley any 15-18s at all

Multiple ones here in the NW. A couple with a ton of extras also. I'm surprised none in your area. Should be a bunch in a couple months after Lorettas is done also......

|