2020 yz450f or factory edition ktm 450 sxf?

sf702/410
5/29/2020 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/29/2020 8:23pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Sooo uhh...done deal fellows...Thanks for the help! The Yamaha dealer was pulling some stuff when crunch time came, taking the price to 9k. On top of...
Sooo uhh...done deal fellows...Thanks for the help! The Yamaha dealer was pulling some stuff when crunch time came, taking the price to 9k. On top of that it sounded like i was going to get railed by uncle Sam twice on taxes. The funny business alone made my decision where to take my money and I'm impressed with the features of the bike. Pretty neat stuff. Excited to see about this ktm religion.

Give these boys at River Rat Motorsports in Bullhead city AZ some business. No shenanigans, got an actual walk thru on the bike features by an actual mechanic. ...never had anything close elsewhere. And the price was where I needed it. Thanks to JT and mechanic guy.
yz133rider wrote:
Dude awesome move! Coolest looking bike by far! They really nail the details too!
Thanks buddy, yeah it's a neat rig. Q/d fuel lines with stock inline filters...i feel so pampered suddenly
yz133rider
5/29/2020 8:25pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Sooo uhh...done deal fellows...Thanks for the help! The Yamaha dealer was pulling some stuff when crunch time came, taking the price to 9k. On top of...
Sooo uhh...done deal fellows...Thanks for the help! The Yamaha dealer was pulling some stuff when crunch time came, taking the price to 9k. On top of that it sounded like i was going to get railed by uncle Sam twice on taxes. The funny business alone made my decision where to take my money and I'm impressed with the features of the bike. Pretty neat stuff. Excited to see about this ktm religion.

Give these boys at River Rat Motorsports in Bullhead city AZ some business. No shenanigans, got an actual walk thru on the bike features by an actual mechanic. ...never had anything close elsewhere. And the price was where I needed it. Thanks to JT and mechanic guy.
yz133rider wrote:
Dude awesome move! Coolest looking bike by far! They really nail the details too!
sf702/410 wrote:
Thanks buddy, yeah it's a neat rig. Q/d fuel lines with stock inline filters...i feel so pampered suddenly
Steel braided brake lines, brembos, hydro clutch, odis, and since you got the fe -those triple clamps and wheel sets are so trick!
Wildeye511
5/29/2020 10:46pm
sf702/410 wrote:

Congrats on the new ride. Thats 3 new KTM's in the Vegas valley this week....
MZ193
5/30/2020 4:25am
PJRAUS wrote:
Is that the recommendations in the manual?
I have a mate with well over 100 hours on his 20...zero problems and he is a hard rider..
MZ193 wrote:
Well, not recommendations in the manual. But a friend of mine, which is a expert regional rider, on his 19 yzf 450, when he opened the...
Well, not recommendations in the manual.
But a friend of mine, which is a expert regional rider, on his 19 yzf 450, when he opened the cases he found the present. He was at 65 hours and probably with more 5 hours the rod would probably have destroyed the whole engine. The rod was on the way to its end. Oil changes every 6 hours including oil filter change. Bike was always warmed up before riding. Air filter done every ride.
Here's the rod. 65 hours. 65.
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I don't know....but myself...I change the oil on my yz 450 at about 1.5 hrs and oil filter at 3 hrs. Just no way I...
Well I don't know....but myself...I change the oil on my yz 450 at about 1.5 hrs and oil filter at 3 hrs.
Just no way I would ever go as long as six hours without changing oil.
The oil isnt just lubricating the motor like in a car...its also the transmission oil and it has a wet clutch in there too.
The transmition and clutch heavily contaminate the oil at a very rapid rate...especially with riders who are hard on the clutch and jam their shifts through without backing off the throttle
From what I've read, the Yamaha is generally regarded as very durable
So you're changing your oil every ride?
No way, i mean, i do it at 5/6 hours filter included.
My bro with his sxf 250 '18, he does it at 10 hours.
He is now at 150 hours. He did the first top end at 80 hours, the bottom end at 130. The bike always run fine.
So... i don't know.
You may be right but 1.5 hours seems too early. Like 3/4 is ideal.

The Shop

bvm111
5/30/2020 6:13am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2020 6:14am
sf702/410 wrote:

congrats man! I wish i had had that same experience with river rat last year when I was looking for a 2019 KX450... they were cool on the phone and then said couldn’t do the deal we talked about after i drove all the way there from Vegas!

I have only cruised around the neighborhood with the FE but I have been nothing but impressed on the fit and finish and quality of components. If you haven’t yet look at the Racer X review with Keefer as well as Vitals with Ping both on youtube and they give some really good tips on set up and what to expect! Keefers is what put me over the top with his explanation on the new forks. If i would have gone the 350 route I knew I would be doing major work to the AER or go CV and I would have had way more into it than if I went with the FE!

If you go to western come by and say Hi at the truck!

sf702/410
5/30/2020 8:25am
sf702/410 wrote:
No fruition man. 9k
seven10 wrote:
Copy that. Good purchase!
Just realized where you are man. Glen Burnie Motorsports, Pete's cycle and tri county Honda. They're Always great on price when I worked with them back home.
sf702/410
5/30/2020 8:26am
sf702/410 wrote:

bvm111 wrote:
congrats man! I wish i had had that same experience with river rat last year when I was looking for a 2019 KX450... they were cool...
congrats man! I wish i had had that same experience with river rat last year when I was looking for a 2019 KX450... they were cool on the phone and then said couldn’t do the deal we talked about after i drove all the way there from Vegas!

I have only cruised around the neighborhood with the FE but I have been nothing but impressed on the fit and finish and quality of components. If you haven’t yet look at the Racer X review with Keefer as well as Vitals with Ping both on youtube and they give some really good tips on set up and what to expect! Keefers is what put me over the top with his explanation on the new forks. If i would have gone the 350 route I knew I would be doing major work to the AER or go CV and I would have had way more into it than if I went with the FE!

In the truck heading there now man ! lol
PJRAUS
5/30/2020 10:33am
MZ193 wrote:
Well, not recommendations in the manual. But a friend of mine, which is a expert regional rider, on his 19 yzf 450, when he opened the...
But a friend of mine, which is a expert regional rider, on his 19 yzf 450, when he opened the cases he found the present. He was at 65 hours and probably with more 5 hours the rod would probably have destroyed the whole engine. The rod was on the way to its end. Oil changes every 6 hours including oil filter change. Bike was always warmed up before riding. Air filter done every ride.
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I don't know....but myself...I change the oil on my yz 450 at about 1.5 hrs and oil filter at 3 hrs. Just no way I...
Well I don't know....but myself...I change the oil on my yz 450 at about 1.5 hrs and oil filter at 3 hrs.
The oil isnt just lubricating the motor like in a car...its also the transmission oil and it has a wet clutch in there too.
The transmition and clutch heavily contaminate the oil at a very rapid rate...especially with riders who are hard on the clutch and jam their shifts through without backing off the throttle
MZ193 wrote:
So you're changing your oil every ride? No way, i mean, i do it at 5/6 hours filter included. My bro with his sxf 250 '18...
He is now at 150 hours. He did the first top end at 80 hours, the bottom end at 130. The bike always run fine.
So... i don't know.
Nope....I dont want that clutch and gearbox contaminated shit lubricating critical points like the big end bearing ,piston camshafts and valve stems
....no sir! After 1.5 hours it looks like shit to me!
Call me obsessive but oil is cheap, a yz 450 takes less than a litre and oil filters are cheap too.
Replacing worn out conrods however is not..
bvm111
5/30/2020 10:54am
sf702/410 wrote:

bvm111 wrote:
congrats man! I wish i had had that same experience with river rat last year when I was looking for a 2019 KX450... they were cool...

sf702/410 wrote:
make sure you check their instagram ... i believe they are closed due to the hurricane winds out there this weekend!

i’ve made the long drive back twice now ... it’s frustrating!

i believe Sandy Valley is open this weekend though
Yeti831
5/30/2020 11:15am
sf702/410 wrote:

Yikes, $9k plus taxes for the Yami? I would've ran away, too.

Sounds like you made the right decision.

That thing is gorgeous 👍👍👍
5/30/2020 11:28am
PJRAUS wrote:
Is that the recommendations in the manual?
I have a mate with well over 100 hours on his 20...zero problems and he is a hard rider..
MZ193 wrote:
tobz wrote:
Shiiiit well, better call Yamaha and let them know that every yz450 lets go at 70 hours, stat. Whistling
My 16 YZF was also part of the 70 hour stat. But it didn't know, so it let go at 50h.
BobPA
5/30/2020 11:54am
PJRAUS wrote:
MZ193 wrote:
So you're changing your oil every ride? No way, i mean, i do it at 5/6 hours filter included. My bro with his sxf 250 '18...
So... i don't know.
PJRAUS wrote:
Nope....I dont want that clutch and gearbox contaminated shit lubricating critical points like the big end bearing ,piston camshafts and valve stems ....no sir! After 1.5...
Nope....I dont want that clutch and gearbox contaminated shit lubricating critical points like the big end bearing ,piston camshafts and valve stems
Call me obsessive but oil is cheap, a yz 450 takes less than a litre and oil filters are cheap too.
Every 1.5 hours? So you'd have to do an oil change mid race during a GNCC...

KTM recommends every 10 hours for my 450. I do the oil every 5, or so, and change the filter every other...o always looks fine. My 350 had 175 hours on it when sold...OEM crank and clutch, and it is still running today.
sf702/410
5/30/2020 12:13pm
bvm111 wrote:

sf702/410 wrote:
bvm111 wrote:
make sure you check their instagram ... i believe they are closed due to the hurricane winds out there this weekend! i’ve made the long drive...
make sure you check their instagram ... i believe they are closed due to the hurricane winds out there this weekend!

i’ve made the long drive back twice now ... it’s frustrating!

i believe Sandy Valley is open this weekend though
Made it to boulder city before I checked. Sad I thought Sandy valley was permanently closed? I've never been there. ..
sf702/410
5/30/2020 12:16pm
sf702/410 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
Yikes, $9k plus taxes for the Yami? I would've ran away, too.

Sounds like you made the right decision.

That thing is gorgeous 👍👍👍
Thanks bud. It is pretty

Wildeye511
5/30/2020 12:32pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Made it to boulder city before I checked. Sad I thought Sandy valley was permanently closed? I've never been there. ..
Sandy Valley just opened a couple weeks ago. Check their Instagram, that is the most updated. I believe they were open today from 7 to noon.
sf702/410
5/30/2020 2:41pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Wildeye511 wrote:
Sandy Valley just opened a couple weeks ago. Check their Instagram, that is the most updated. I believe they were open today from 7 to noon.
Man, I'm really excited to hear this, but I can't find anything posted recently by them. Are you sure you didn't see an old post?
Wildeye511
5/30/2020 4:53pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Man, I'm really excited to hear this, but I can't find anything posted recently by them. Are you sure you didn't see an old post?
Yeah, I dont have Instagram or Facebook. My buddy looked it up to make sure. Their website is pretty useless. I have found it hard to get info about the track online. This is what I found. Their instagram is sandyvalleymx

https://www.instagram.com/sandyvalleymx/
bvm111
5/30/2020 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2020 9:59pm
sf702/410 wrote:
Wildeye511 wrote:
sf702/410 wrote:
you need to look at their instagram too... seems to be the in thing with tracks these days. they are open tomorrow it shouldn’t get windy until around noon... i can’t make it this weekend but should he riding next weekend!
sf702/410
5/30/2020 8:07pm
bvm111 wrote:
you need to look at their instagram too... seems to be the in thing with tracks these days. they are open tomorrow it shouldn’t get windy...
you need to look at their instagram too... seems to be the in thing with tracks these days. they are open tomorrow it shouldn’t get windy until around noon... i can’t make it this weekend but should he riding next weekend!
Sweet, yeah they're open! My wife verified on instagram! Thanks! Might head out in the a.m
bvm111
5/30/2020 10:03pm
bvm111 wrote:
you need to look at their instagram too... seems to be the in thing with tracks these days. they are open tomorrow it shouldn’t get windy...
sf702/410 wrote:
Sweet, yeah they're open! My wife verified on instagram! Thanks! Might head out in the a.m
cool!

Looks like i’m going into work tonight because of the “protest” and the GOV calling in the National Guard for support so for sure not able to ride tomorrow. Please Let us know how SV is as it’s always nice to have other places to ride.... oh and Ride report of course!
Pink
5/31/2020 5:24am
I vote 2021 yz450f factory edition. Come on Yamaha!!!
PJRAUS
5/31/2020 3:04pm
MZ193 wrote:
So... i don't know.
PJRAUS wrote:
Nope....I dont want that clutch and gearbox contaminated shit lubricating critical points like the big end bearing ,piston camshafts and valve stems ....no sir! After 1.5...
BobPA wrote:
Every 1.5 hours? So you'd have to do an oil change mid race during a GNCC... KTM recommends every 10 hours for my 450. I do...
Every 1.5 hours? So you'd have to do an oil change mid race during a GNCC...

KTM recommends every 10 hours for my 450. I do the oil every 5, or so, and change the filter every other...o always looks fine. My 350 had 175 hours on it when sold...OEM crank and clutch, and it is still running today.
I only ride motocross..and oil is cheap..
Having said that..I caught up with a mate at our track yesterday...fast A grade racer, very very hard on bikes and hes a big guy..
His 2020 yz 450 grenaded at 8 hours..showed me a photo of the crank cases from the lower front where the con rod came through..it was ugly😫😫😫
He said it cost $ 9k in parts and labour for his dealer to repair. His dealer is his sponsor...great dealer that runs the Australian under 19 race team at the nationals and sx series. Yamaha stepped up and covered the whole deal.
I also just purchased a new 2020 yz 450 from that dealer, pick it up in a week or so...
My friends 2020 has 24 hours on it now but looks completely beat to shit...would never buy a used bike off that guy 😮😮
Timo_2824
5/31/2020 8:06pm
PJRAUS wrote:
MZ193 wrote:
So... i don't know.
PJRAUS wrote:
My XJ700X has a wet clutch and transmission lubed with the engine oil, I change it at 3000 mile intervals....
sf702/410
5/31/2020 9:15pm
bvm111 wrote:
cool! Looks like i’m going into work tonight because of the “protest” and the GOV calling in the National Guard for support so for sure not...
cool!

Looks like i’m going into work tonight because of the “protest” and the GOV calling in the National Guard for support so for sure not able to ride tomorrow. Please Let us know how SV is as it’s always nice to have other places to ride.... oh and Ride report of course!
That's crazy man. Le or ng? I'm hoping those Mfer's comes through Summerlin. Got a stash of Obama's and Coronas I need to use.

I got out there late in the day, forgot my goggles, my socks and my tools. Lol. Took about 4 sight Laps, bottomed super hard a couple times, got roosted, blinded and ate it. Jacked up my neck and elbow. Lol. Track is cool though, the bike feels good (eerily similar to the most hated, bargain bin bike in mx) except calmer power actually and a more settled ride over chop. I do like it alot. I like the rmz a lot too- (people would be surprised i think).

Track was crowded, but well groomed and kept watered. A little intimidating with everything new, and piled on with the fast boys. Cool little town out there.

Stay safe at work man.
sf702/410
5/31/2020 9:17pm
Pink wrote:
I vote 2021 yz450f factory edition. Come on Yamaha!!!
Haha, maybe a few checks later!
PJRAUS
5/31/2020 9:44pm
MZ193 wrote:
So... i don't know.
PJRAUS wrote:
Timo_2824 wrote:
My XJ700X has a wet clutch and transmission lubed with the engine oil, I change it at 3000 mile intervals....
Ok .so are comparing a street bike to a motocross bike...do you think that is relevant?

Post a reply to: 2020 yz450f or factory edition ktm 450 sxf?

The Latest