2020 YZ450F ride

kiwifan
Ok, first things first, yes as everyone knows I bled a little red (although rode a KTM in 2015 and Kawasaki in 2016/2017) and yes I have a new CRF450WE in the garage.

Yesterday I was handed a near new YZ450F by one of my mates who has just buggered his knee, so I took it out for the day, set it up and had a few motos on it.

It impressed the hell out of me, damn good bike, I could definitely race the thing and win on it. According to my wife, who was timing me, I was putting in as fast laps as i can on my CRF (although I wasnt swapping between them both on that day).

On the track I rode the suspension was a little plusher, chassis balance was very nice, smooth power...only downsides were I missed the extra power of the CRF (sorry, but the Honda is a flat out rocket) and in the air it didnt feel quite as light/flickable despite being close in weight to the CRF.

Still, I was very impressed! (no, I will not be asking for a free one from my dealer, for those who get that joke)
|
motosmoke
12/23/2019 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2019 3:40pm
What about when you had bought those Husky’s a little bit ago? How’d it compare them?

You forgot to mention them
Broseph
12/23/2019 3:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2019 3:47pm
motosmoke wrote:
What about when you had bought those Husky’s a little bit ago? How’d it compare them?

Congrats. You’re now a stalker.

Digging up at least 3 threads back to back just to call out kiwifan. Surely a PM would be more appropriate.
12/23/2019 3:44pm
motosmoke wrote:

I wonder also... I want so much to try a Husky/KTM back to back with a Japanese.
Goon126
12/23/2019 3:45pm
uhh oh you just pissed off all of the KTM fan boys that love to hate on Yamaha here on vital

The Shop

motosmoke
12/23/2019 3:48pm
motosmoke wrote:

Broseph wrote:

Digging up at least 3 threads back to back just to call out kiwifan. Surely a PM would be more appropriate.
Nah just don’t like how he goes and rags on someones bike cause it’s a 2017 and his “2020 is head and shoulders better” when he has never proved he owns absolutely any bike.

It’s lame.
Broseph
12/23/2019 4:05pm
motosmoke wrote:

Broseph wrote:

motosmoke wrote:
Nah just don’t like how he goes and rags on someones bike cause it’s a 2017 and his “2020 is head and shoulders better” when he...
Nah just don’t like how he goes and rags on someones bike cause it’s a 2017 and his “2020 is head and shoulders better” when he has never proved he owns absolutely any bike.

It’s lame.
I counted 5 threads now. Take your strange obsession with kiwifan to the PMs and quit subjecting the rest of us to your personal issues.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/23/2019 4:25pm
motosmoke wrote:

Broseph wrote:

motosmoke wrote:
Nah just don’t like how he goes and rags on someones bike cause it’s a 2017 and his “2020 is head and shoulders better” when he...

It’s lame.
Speaking of lame...
kiwifan
12/23/2019 5:23pm
motosmoke wrote:

Broseph wrote:

motosmoke wrote:

It’s lame.
I think you need a hug, Merry Christmas !
12/23/2019 7:40pm
I actually went and bought a brand new 2020 yz450f and a ktm 19.5 factory edition at the same time. And a friend bought a new Kawasaki 450 and rm450 at the same time. I’ve rode and raced Mx for over 25 years now and I’ve owned tons and tons of new bikes. Mostly Honda’s I will admit.
First things, first. All the new 450’s are just incredible. I’ve owned, or at least rode just about every Mx 450 since they came out.
I never thought I’d buy a new ktm or yz450 but was open minded and went for it.
My experience with the 20 yz450 wasn’t that great. I rode the ktm and yz back to back every time I rode. The bikes are literally 180 from each other and I’m used to honda platforms.
I’m 6’1 225lbs dry. Vet expert. My larger frame and body weight are always a huge factor for me on stock suspension. So taking that into consideration.
Yz pros-
-Very responsive power but very smooth
And of corse the tuner. I ran the TP3, Keefer, and exciting power maps the most.

-The mapping is very clean and crisp feeling ( I run VP T4 fuel )

-The suspension is very plush and bottoming is also plush as expected from KYB
- bike is pretty stable and frame has tons of comfort.

Now the Cons-
- With the bike being under suspended for me, I got way too much pitching. Coming down steep hills I got a lot of twitching which got sketchy.
- I had a hard time get the bike slowed down and settling into corners, especially compared to KTM. (This is my first KTM so not bias at all, just true testament ).
- the bike seemed vague and wanted to stand up in corners whether I was on the brakes or throttle.
-bike never really felt planted to me in corners, so when I think I’m just over reacting and push a little more, I’d lose the front or rear end unexpectedly.
- my biggest issue of all was that I couldn’t grip the bike with my legs and get serious arm pump.
- my knees was a good 2 inches higher then the seat. The width at the pegs seemed wide but up near the seat it was skinny which made it difficult to grip.
The clutch cover literally sticks out over a inch past the frame and was just annoying to me.

Now I thought about lowering pegs and getting fully valved and sprung suspension for me ( which I do on all my bikes)
But I held off because even though I done them mods and fix all my issues, I still don’t think I’d like the bike. To me, it just feels like a utility ATV and not a dirt bike. And the just kills the fun vibe to me.
It is a amazing motorcycle. People either love these bikes or hate them. It does seem like shorter people seem to like them more.
I traded in my 20 yz450f in on a 20 CRF450 works edition ( which I love ) but I’m a honda guy. Better then my KTM? No!

The KTM blows my mind how good it is. This being my first KTM, it amazes me the engineering put into the machine for performance and maintenance.

And also the 20 Kawasaki kx450 is amazing all around bike.
Between the ktm and Kawasaki, these bikes are insanely good stock.
The Yamaha is a good machine to just hope on and go Ride for average guys without touching a thing.
The honda is a incredible machine also but it’s a serious machine. Little ridged and stout engine directed toward A and pro riders.
Mx451
12/24/2019 7:52am
Eastcoast can you talk more about the Ktm vs Kawi? Didn't mention the Rmz so I assume you weren't a fan? I'm on a 19 Yz250f and was thinking about going to a 450 next year and was originally interested in the Yami.
H4L
12/24/2019 8:49am Edited Date/Time 12/24/2019 12:37pm
I actually went and bought a brand new 2020 yz450f and a ktm 19.5 factory edition at the same time. And a friend bought a new...
I actually went and bought a brand new 2020 yz450f and a ktm 19.5 factory edition at the same time. And a friend bought a new Kawasaki 450 and rm450 at the same time. I’ve rode and raced Mx for over 25 years now and I’ve owned tons and tons of new bikes. Mostly Honda’s I will admit.
First things, first. All the new 450’s are just incredible. I’ve owned, or at least rode just about every Mx 450 since they came out.
My experience with the 20 yz450 wasn’t that great. I rode the ktm and yz back to back every time I rode. The bikes are literally 180 from each other and I’m used to honda platforms.
I’m 6’1 225lbs dry. Vet expert. My larger frame and body weight are always a huge factor for me on stock suspension. So taking that into consideration.
Yz pros-
And of corse the tuner. I ran the TP3, Keefer, and exciting power maps the most.

Now the Cons-
- With the bike being under suspended for me, I got way too much pitching. Coming down steep hills I got a lot of twitching which got sketchy.
- I had a hard time get the bike slowed down and settling into corners, especially compared to KTM. (This is my first KTM so not bias at all, just true testament ).
- the bike seemed vague and wanted to stand up in corners whether I was on the brakes or throttle.
-bike never really felt planted to me in corners, so when I think I’m just over reacting and push a little more, I’d lose the front or rear end unexpectedly.
- my biggest issue of all was that I couldn’t grip the bike with my legs and get serious arm pump.
- my knees was a good 2 inches higher then the seat. The width at the pegs seemed wide but up near the seat it was skinny which made it difficult to grip.
The clutch cover literally sticks out over a inch past the frame and was just annoying to me.

Now I thought about lowering pegs and getting fully valved and sprung suspension for me ( which I do on all my bikes)
But I held off because even though I done them mods and fix all my issues, I still don’t think I’d like the bike. To me, it just feels like a utility ATV and not a dirt bike. And the just kills the fun vibe to me.
It is a amazing motorcycle. People either love these bikes or hate them. It does seem like shorter people seem to like them more.
I traded in my 20 yz450f in on a 20 CRF450 works edition ( which I love ) but I’m a honda guy. Better then my KTM? No!

The KTM blows my mind how good it is. This being my first KTM, it amazes me the engineering put into the machine for performance and maintenance.

The Yamaha is a good machine to just hope on and go Ride for average guys without touching a thing.
The honda is a incredible machine also but it’s a serious machine. Little ridged and stout engine directed toward A and pro riders.
Interesting read. Considered buying an orange bike since there were some rave reviews on them back in 17. The last KTM 450 I test rode was a 17 1/2 FE & couldn’t understand what all the hoopla was about after riding it. Sounds like we had different experiences.
I didn’t like the ergos as a bigger frame guy like you Im 6’1” @ 230 lbs.. The bike really didn’t impress me & maybe it was do to all the rave reviews & was expecting to be blown away. Instead I ended up walking away wondering what the big fuss was all about.

In my case I ended buying an 18 CRF450r & now also own a 20 WE model which are both excellent mx bikes.

Also considered a blue bike for 18.
I haven’t ridden a newer 18YZF450 +, but was told by a local that they still feel heavy & don’t turn well like you eluded to they still feel like they want to stand up in the corners.
Timo_2824
12/26/2019 3:54am
I actually went and bought a brand new 2020 yz450f and a ktm 19.5 factory edition at the same time. And a friend bought a new...
Yz pros-

Now the Cons-

Interesting since the 20 is supposed to be better than 19. What sag were you running? I think the chassis is best in the 100-103mm range.
Johnny Ringo
12/28/2019 7:10am
It doesn’t corner like a Honda but if you have any semblance of technique it’s just fine
Bud224
12/28/2019 2:14pm
So why did the 2020 YZ win almost every shootout and most of the Nov to pro test riders seemed to enjoy it? Was thinking of grabbing one but... ugggh
kiwifan
12/28/2019 2:24pm
Bud224 wrote:
So why did the 2020 YZ win almost every shootout and most of the Nov to pro test riders seemed to enjoy it? Was thinking of...
So why did the 2020 YZ win almost every shootout and most of the Nov to pro test riders seemed to enjoy it? Was thinking of grabbing one but... ugggh
it is a damn good bike, nothing much wrong with it in my humble opinion
Huevos
12/28/2019 3:11pm
Meanwhile, I'm still enjoying my '14 RMZ450 like a total spode. Silly
skeef
Fantasy
1407th
12/28/2019 3:22pm
I am contracted for four powersports dealers and for the first time in awhile the Yamahas have been outselling the Ktm MX bikes., I personally am getting ready to buy a yz 450fx coming off of a 18 350exc. I’m at 6’3 210lbs and I couldn’t turn the ktm at all, the bars would always snap back at me.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
12/29/2019 4:16am
We went back Blu after a stint on a KTM FE!
H4L
12/29/2019 8:09am
Bud224 wrote:
So why did the 2020 YZ win almost every shootout and most of the Nov to pro test riders seemed to enjoy it? Was thinking of...
Shootouts are subjective. I haven’t put to much stock in them for the last 20 yrs or so. Good example is MXA with picking the orange bike. Personally I wouldn’t buy one after test riding one , but it might suit others better. Just because Johnny racer says it’s a great bike it doesn’t mean it is the bike for you. That is why you see them rated in different positions depending on the test rider.
Best advice I can give you is to test ride some bikes if possible. Look into test ride days from your local dealers.
Bud224
12/29/2019 8:51am
H4L wrote:
Shootouts are subjective. I haven’t put to much stock in them for the last 20 yrs or so. Good example is MXA with picking the orange...
Shootouts are subjective. I haven’t put to much stock in them for the last 20 yrs or so. Good example is MXA with picking the orange bike. Personally I wouldn’t buy one after test riding one , but it might suit others better. Just because Johnny racer says it’s a great bike it doesn’t mean it is the bike for you. That is why you see them rated in different positions depending on the test rider.
Best advice I can give you is to test ride some bikes if possible. Look into test ride days from your local dealers.
So true about shootouts...I have owned 4 Rm 450’s and on an 18 now .. great bikes ( minus 15 air Fork). Kinda tough re sale in my area tho. I did test the 2020 yz for a few laps and had no complaints ( ride local 30 and 40A) , just thought maybe I was missing something with this model. Thanks

12/29/2019 9:01am
Yamaha here in ca has their ride day at the local tracks. I know personally several people buy yamahas based on those ride days. I know ktm does them too. I just never made been at the track when they are there. Kawasaki, honda, or suzuki needs to do them.
mxb2
12/29/2019 9:13am
Yamaha here in ca has their ride day at the local tracks. I know personally several people buy yamahas based on those ride days. I know...
Yamaha here in ca has their ride day at the local tracks. I know personally several people buy yamahas based on those ride days. I know ktm does them too. I just never made been at the track when they are there. Kawasaki, honda, or suzuki needs to do them.
Go to a local track ,offer to swap bikes for a few laps or give the guy $50 to ride it 10 laps. $50 is cheaper than 8k on a bike you might not like.
12/29/2019 12:21pm
Yamaha here in ca has their ride day at the local tracks. I know personally several people buy yamahas based on those ride days. I know...
mxb2 wrote:
Go to a local track ,offer to swap bikes for a few laps or give the guy $50 to ride it 10 laps. $50 is cheaper...
Go to a local track ,offer to swap bikes for a few laps or give the guy $50 to ride it 10 laps. $50 is cheaper than 8k on a bike you might not like.
I wasnt referring to me personally. I rode all except the new kx. Im referring to overall a good idea to have ride days for bike sales
Johnny Ringo
12/29/2019 12:26pm
mxb2 wrote:
Go to a local track ,offer to swap bikes for a few laps or give the guy $50 to ride it 10 laps. $50 is cheaper...
I’m not letting some random Spode ride my bike unless he pays me the blue book amount and I sign it over to him before he starts it
12/29/2019 12:56pm
mxb2 wrote:
I’m not letting some random Spode ride my bike unless he pays me the blue book amount and I sign it over to him before he...
I’m not letting some random Spode ride my bike unless he pays me the blue book amount and I sign it over to him before he starts it
I only let 2 personal friends ride my bike. No random people. No way
mxb2
12/29/2019 1:30pm
mxb2 wrote:
I’m not letting some random Spode ride my bike unless he pays me the blue book amount and I sign it over to him before he...
Agree,. I woudnt either. It was just an idea for someone else. I have seen plenty of friendships end over lending out a bike, promising to fix it. if crashed and damaged.
12/29/2019 1:37pm
mxb2 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Agree,. I woudnt either. It was just an idea for someone else. I have seen plenty of friendships end over lending out a bike, promising to...
Agree,. I woudnt either. It was just an idea for someone else. I have seen plenty of friendships end over lending out a bike, promising to fix it. if crashed and damaged.
My friends who rode my bike are financially stable. Also they are older and considerate with other peoples stuff. Even if they somehow wrecked it. To me not a big deal if they did break stuff. Not a friendship ender.
mxb2
12/29/2019 1:48pm
mxb2 wrote:
Agree,. I woudnt either. It was just an idea for someone else. I have seen plenty of friendships end over lending out a bike, promising to...
My friends who rode my bike are financially stable. Also they are older and considerate with other peoples stuff. Even if they somehow wrecked it. To...
My friends who rode my bike are financially stable. Also they are older and considerate with other peoples stuff. Even if they somehow wrecked it. To me not a big deal if they did break stuff. Not a friendship ender.
I meant as in cartwheeling a 450 in a whoop section, destroyed the subframe and exhaust etc. Not cheap, thats where their friendship ended. Lol Of course when they get on, they will say. Oh sure anything breaks i ll fix it. Lol.
12/29/2019 2:13pm
“If it blows up it was going to blow up anyways” (while riding it as hard as possible), is something I’ve heard before
Wade221
12/29/2019 2:15pm
mxb2 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
So, you wouldn’t let someone ride your bike for $50, but other people should?! 🤔

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ450F ride

The Latest