2020 YZ450 First Ride Impressions

seventeen
Edited Date/Time 7/28/2019 12:58am
|
Johnny Depp
7/24/2019 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2019 6:15pm
Who was that guy? This could be the answer to the Enigma. All these years since they turned the cylinder around maybe this will be the year? Those forks sure looked like they were using all the travel on jumps.
PJRAUS
7/25/2019 3:21am
Interesting...does anyone know if the 20 is actually lighter than the 19? Seems to be some confusion over that..
Im almost over my 450 experiment..my 17 yz 450 us just too damn heavy...in the end...that's what it comes down to for me
J2s
7/25/2019 3:41am
Dave Willet
7/25/2019 6:30pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Interesting...does anyone know if the 20 is actually lighter than the 19? Seems to be some confusion over that.. Im almost over my 450 experiment..my 17...
Interesting...does anyone know if the 20 is actually lighter than the 19? Seems to be some confusion over that..
Im almost over my 450 experiment..my 17 yz 450 us just too damn heavy...in the end...that's what it comes down to for me
Good question regarding the weight, and I don't have an answer. What I do know is that the YZ 450 was largely "fixed" in 2018, and refined even further in 2019. The 2020 machine sounds amazing, but I'll wait until i hear more from guys like ML512. If it has lost weight, me thinks that will put it over the top. Thank you to KTM for driving the Japanese companies out of the 4 year cycle. Competition IS good.

The Shop

JohnnyD13
7/25/2019 6:34pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Interesting...does anyone know if the 20 is actually lighter than the 19? Seems to be some confusion over that.. Im almost over my 450 experiment..my 17...
That’s funny you said that. I am the same way. It seemed the kx and Yz did pretty much the same in shootouts but the weight made my decision
7/25/2019 6:41pm
Haha! That's awesome I've got 2 down votes within minutes of making a perfectly reasonable, balanced post. What sux is the down voters don't have the gonads to say why they chose to punch that button. Give me more...I crave down votes!
motomike137
7/25/2019 6:44pm
Do you guys bench press your bike in between motos or something?
OldPro277
7/25/2019 6:47pm
Haha! That's awesome I've got 2 down votes within minutes of making a perfectly reasonable, balanced post. What sux is the down voters don't have the...
Haha! That's awesome I've got 2 down votes within minutes of making a perfectly reasonable, balanced post. What sux is the down voters don't have the gonads to say why they chose to punch that button. Give me more...I crave down votes!
As we've discussed before, the "down voters" may not be as prevalent if they weren't hidden by anonymity
Kris Keefer
7/25/2019 7:00pm
2020 450 is only 1 pound lighter. This is what Yamaha told us.
GasGasOrAss
7/25/2019 7:07pm
Haha! That's awesome I've got 2 down votes within minutes of making a perfectly reasonable, balanced post. What sux is the down voters don't have the...
OldPro277 wrote:
As we've discussed before, the "down voters" may not be as prevalent if they weren't hidden by anonymity
Yeah definitely. It would take some serious balls to click the thumbs down button if it revealed the person. Serious fucking balls
MX558
7/25/2019 7:21pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Yeah definitely. It would take some serious balls to click the thumbs down button if it revealed the person. Serious fucking balls
I always thought the thumbs did reveal the identity . I bought the kaw because of how light they said it felt most said it felt lighter than the KTM and it does . It's my 1st kaw after about 10 Yamahas
7/25/2019 7:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/25/2019 7:44pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Nah. Who cares? It's just funny to me that a reasonable post gets a down vote. I could understand it if I said something like, "The 2020 Yamaha will dominate all shootouts and win every local race, all of SX, and Barcia and Plessinger will finally win championships aboard the heretofore known 'Blue Pig.'"

But that's not what i said.

I admire Yamaha for their different approach. Mass centralization is science...not voodoo. It seems maybe they've finally found the complete, correct balance. Time will tell.

No one should accuse me of being a "BluCru" fanboy. I've made it plain here, more than a few times how my 2013 YZ250 crapped third gear THREE TIMES. That's disappointing to say the least.

Keefer, thanks for the info. Lost a pound. Woohoo! Wink
Helda
7/25/2019 7:50pm
You can see who down votes your post, I did just for fun because you mentioned it
Bennett59
7/25/2019 7:55pm
I just switched to Yamaha recently and weight is not an issue, Ive had a 16 husky 350 and 17 Crf450R and the way the Yamaha has the weight placed it’s a none issue personally. I rode a 18 rmz and it was more noticeable then the Yamaha. I’ve never been a Yamaha guy ever was against them till I rode a friends a few times. This is by far my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. Weight is not always a bad thing just depends where it’s placed.
7/25/2019 8:18pm
Helda wrote:
You can see who down votes your post, I did just for fun because you mentioned it
Haha, Helda! Love it, and i don't care enough to look. Down voters unite and set a record on my hairy post!
Motofinne
7/25/2019 10:10pm
Bennett59 wrote:
I just switched to Yamaha recently and weight is not an issue, Ive had a 16 husky 350 and 17 Crf450R and the way the Yamaha...
I just switched to Yamaha recently and weight is not an issue, Ive had a 16 husky 350 and 17 Crf450R and the way the Yamaha has the weight placed it’s a none issue personally. I rode a 18 rmz and it was more noticeable then the Yamaha. I’ve never been a Yamaha guy ever was against them till I rode a friends a few times. This is by far my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. Weight is not always a bad thing just depends where it’s placed.
Well, less weight is in 99% of the cases a good thing. But Yamaha has nailed the weight distribution so that it "feels" lighter than it might be on a scale. Like you say, the RMZ isn't that much heavier on a weight scale but on the track it is very noticeable.

I can't wait to get the 2020!
PJRAUS
7/26/2019 5:07am
Do you guys bench press your bike in between motos or something?
Ha ha..no..but I do ride my bikes..
The weight issue works for me like this..if Im busting a gut to lift it onto the stand..thats a bad sign...if I tip over in a sloppy mud race and struggle to pick the thing up..thats a bad sign ( on my 125 im up and gone instantly ) if Im on sloping ground and trying to kick start the thing , my short little legs and all and I slop over on one side or the other and the weight of the bike wants to knock me down cause im not strong/ tall enough to stop it from going..thats a bad sign

In motion it works like this..when Im trying to seat bounce a tricky flat trajectory uphill double out of a tight corner and I case it with the bike a bit sideways and the momentum of all that weight is too much for me to correct..thats a bad sign..
when I launch off a big step up jump and feel as though I just got airborne with a boat anchor attached to my bike..thats a bad sign..

The only real attraction for me with a new gen yz 450 over my 17 is the electric start as that negates one of my biggest problems with racing that bike..I did get about 3 laps on a new 19 but was not comfortable because of the way it was set up for a much bigger guy..
Ive done a few good laps on a 19 ktm 350 and the weight difference is incredibly noticeable in every way..I would like to ride the ktm 450 as I know its only ab out 1 pound heavier than the 350, so it would b good to get an idea of just how much difference engine inertia makes....
But my yz 450 is just too damn heavy.....ive tried everything and Im over it..I could say that Im really just not a 450 rider...and thats more thsn likely accurate..but I'd like a chance to get in some solid laps on a current ktm 450 b4 making that call..
Justin345
7/26/2019 5:50am
PJRAUS wrote:
Sounds like you need to try out another brand of 450 before ditching it. Not only is it weight, but also placement of weight which creates the β€œfeel”. The Ktm/husky are incredibly light and agile. I haven’t ridden the new kawi but heard they also have a light feel.
Motofinne
7/26/2019 6:01am
PJRAUS wrote:
Justin345 wrote:
Sounds like you need to try out another brand of 450 before ditching it. Not only is it weight, but also placement of weight which creates...
Sounds like you need to try out another brand of 450 before ditching it. Not only is it weight, but also placement of weight which creates the β€œfeel”. The Ktm/husky are incredibly light and agile. I haven’t ridden the new kawi but heard they also have a light feel.
The difference between a 17 and 18 YZF is also huge. I hated the 17, loved the 18 and 19.
Paw Paw 271
7/26/2019 8:43am
My dislike for the YZ450 comes from the power delivery. It's all down very low right off idle, then flattens out in midrange and then falls on it' face on top end. The power delivery is great for short run jumps, but it also pulls the front wheel out of ruts no matter where I put my weight.
This is only one old farts experience and does not reflect what others think. Each person is different and each also wants something different in a bike and power delivery.
I remember when the Yamaha 250F's first came out and the word was that it would tuck in the corners real bad. I owned one of the first ones and then also a 2006 and to be honest, they were the best bikes I owned at that time and I lover the turning of the bike.

Paw Paw
PJRAUS
7/26/2019 11:13am
PJRAUS wrote:
Justin345 wrote:
Sounds like you need to try out another brand of 450 before ditching it. Not only is it weight, but also placement of weight which creates...
Motofinne wrote:
The difference between a 17 and 18 YZF is also huge. I hated the 17, loved the 18 and 19.
Yes, Im aware that its night and day difference between the 17 and the 19...but the 19 is actually even heavier than the 17....and just the thought of that alone is quite off putting
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/26/2019 11:28am
The 19 YZ450's are much less prone to yanking the front end out of a rut, they feel much lighter, have good front end feel, and the suspension is still great.

One friend of mine has a 19 YZ450, another has a 19 KX450, and my son has a 18 KTM 350.
I have a 13 GYTR equipped YZ450, and while it does make more power than any of the other bikes, particularly in the low rpm ranges, it doesn't inspire confidence in the front end when cornering. The KX feels very light in the front end but sticks to corners well, the 19 YZ has more bottom end than the KX, and it does have good front end feel and is a bit more stable than the KX. Both are great bikes, though the KX feels much taller than the YZ when riding it. The KTM has front end grip for days, and although it has minimal power at low rpms (in comparison to the others), it's top-end is excellent. It's likely going to be my next bike.
H4L
7/26/2019 11:38am
PJRAUS wrote:
Yes, Im aware that its night and day difference between the 17 and the 19...but the 19 is actually even heavier than the 17....and just the...
Yes, Im aware that its night and day difference between the 17 and the 19...but the 19 is actually even heavier than the 17....and just the thought of that alone is quite off putting
I wouldn't let the weight on the scales be a deciding factor on buying a bike. Yamaha seems to be taking the same approach that Honda did in 17 by focusing on mass centralization. Even though the Honda is heavier on the scales it didn't feel that way to me when I tested a few bikes in 17. Due to the mass centralization that the engineers did at Honda it felt as light as a 17 1/2 KTM 450sxf FE.
The 20 Yamaha 450 could feel lighter as well. Someone I know is picking one up in a month so I'll be asking him for feedback on how the new blue 450 feels while in motion.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
7/26/2019 11:47am
Justin345 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
Yes, Im aware that its night and day difference between the 17 and the 19...but the 19 is actually even heavier than the 17....and just the...
The 20 model has a wet weight that’s 2 pounds under the 17.
Bennett59
7/26/2019 11:50am
The 19 YZ450's are much less prone to yanking the front end out of a rut, they feel much lighter, have good front end feel, and...
The 19 YZ450's are much less prone to yanking the front end out of a rut, they feel much lighter, have good front end feel, and the suspension is still great.

One friend of mine has a 19 YZ450, another has a 19 KX450, and my son has a 18 KTM 350.
I have a 13 GYTR equipped YZ450, and while it does make more power than any of the other bikes, particularly in the low rpm ranges, it doesn't inspire confidence in the front end when cornering. The KX feels very light in the front end but sticks to corners well, the 19 YZ has more bottom end than the KX, and it does have good front end feel and is a bit more stable than the KX. Both are great bikes, though the KX feels much taller than the YZ when riding it. The KTM has front end grip for days, and although it has minimal power at low rpms (in comparison to the others), it's top-end is excellent. It's likely going to be my next bike.
If you see me at dt1 again your more then welcome to try out my 18 Yz450f just geared up a tooth and complete yosh system with Travis Preston map 1.0, also has FCP mounts just cause I got a good deal on them. The setup is great along with the power delivery from the yosh lets it pull a little harder then stock.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/26/2019 12:27pm
The 19 YZ450's are much less prone to yanking the front end out of a rut, they feel much lighter, have good front end feel, and...

Bennett59 wrote:
If you see me at dt1 again your more then welcome to try out my 18 Yz450f just geared up a tooth and complete yosh system...
If you see me at dt1 again your more then welcome to try out my 18 Yz450f just geared up a tooth and complete yosh system with Travis Preston map 1.0, also has FCP mounts just cause I got a good deal on them. The setup is great along with the power delivery from the yosh lets it pull a little harder then stock.
I look forward to giving it a run. It's going to be a bit though, ruptured my Achilles on Sunday...
Let me know when you're going to be back out there, I'll get the 19 collars out to you.
PJRAUS
7/26/2019 12:57pm
Motofinne wrote:
PJRAUS wrote:
ML512 wrote:
The 20 model has a wet weight that’s 2 pounds under the 17.
Well that is good to know...so the 20 model Yamaha is what.. about 14 to 16 pounds heavier than the KTM?
When I sell my 17, Im not all that fussed about ever having a 450 again..the 19 yz 250 f is still the best bike Ive ever ridden..so I intend to get one...will ride my friends ktm 350 some more and hopefully score a ride on a 450 to compare.
But honestly...I consider myself too small for a 450..in a couple months when Im flat out with work I'll be down to about 154 pounds and at 5'6, I reckon a KTM 85 big wheel with a stiffer shock spring would be the go πŸ˜€
I never had a mini bike in my life so seeing as how im taking my mid life crisis to the next level..one of those is next on the list after the 250 f 😁😁

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ450 First Ride Impressions

The Latest