2020 YZ250F or 2021 KTM 350 SX-F

First time poster but long time lurker.

I am facing the dilemma of choosing between a 2020 YZ250F or 2021 KTM 350 SX-F. Price is more for the 350 as would be expected, but within my budget.

I am 6'4 and weigh about 250lbs geared up and I am 43. My thought is that the Yamaha would probably be a good bike to get started with. But I fear that I may outgrow it within a season and wish for more due to my weight. I am a novice c level rider. The last bike I owned was a 2008 RM250 and I have not ridden regularly for 5 or 6 years. I feel the 350 is a bike that I could live with for multiple seasons, hence it might be the better choice.

Based on my past experiences I feel either bike would require some initial investment. Lowered pegs, likely taller seat, different shock spring, maybe handlebar risers. These would be applicable for both. Possibly some revalving as well. On the other hand, my concern with the KTM would be the forks. If I find that I do not like them, that would be an additional investment to do a spring conversion. I recently rode a 2018 SXF 350 for about 2 hours and although it was setup for a guy about 30 pounds lighter, I was not in love with the suspension compared to the 2019 YZ250f I rode the weekend before.

I guess ultimately my question is, if I opted for the YZF250 would I be able to get enough out of it to make / keep it competitive for c / b class vet racing without a huge investment in cost? Without question the 350 would have more than enough for me. Just trying to determine how the YZF would stack up, and what options are available to boost the output as my skills develop. I think I feel a little more at home on the YZF but open to the KTM just the same, especially if it makes better financial sense.

I am not interested in a 450 at this stage.

Thank you all.
|
crc245
6/19/2022 4:22pm
350 all the way. Better resale value whenever you sell down the road, and more practical for your size/weight. One benefit of the air forks is that you only need a stiffer shock spring for the time being to get properly set-up on the new scoot (suspension wise). As skill/speed increases or you lose weight, the forks have more adjustability than any spring competitor. 2021 air forks are quite a bit better than the 2018 version, especially after proper break-in hours and some fine tuning with PSI/clickers. Best of luck on the decision and enjoy whichever new scoot you decide on!
McG194
6/19/2022 4:37pm
I say go with the 250.

I have had both a 15 250fx and I currently ride a 21 KTM 350. My reason for suggesting the 250 is that it has better power off the bottom and is an easier bike to ride. The 350 has to be revved much more to go fast. I'm bigger than you and the 250 never hurt for power for me. I did put a Cylinder Works 270 kit in it in the hopes of getting 350 like power but the reality was it just made it so I never had to use 1st gear in the woods. I was previously riding in 1st a lot in the tight stuff. Being able to ride in 2nd made the chassis more relaxed and let the suspension work better.

If Yamaha would make a 350 it would probably be the perfect bike.
PTshox
6/19/2022 5:13pm
I agree a Yamaha 350 (heck a 300) would be the perfect bike.

I have a 2020 250FX and a 2016 350XCF. The 250 has the 270 kit. I prefer to ride the 250. It's just more fun. Handles better, turns better and is more comfortable for me.

When riding them back to back the 350 feels long and twichy... under acceleration the rear wants to kick out and not stay in line with the rear. The 250 on the other hand feels shorter, quicker turning and more stable.

Now, the 350 will pull harder up top no question. But I just simply have more fun on the 250. And I'm surprised I'm saying this... didn't expect to like it as much.

The Shop

Sandusky26
6/19/2022 6:06pm
KTM owners wins in a fight, Yami owner pulls more chicks.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
6/19/2022 6:19pm
The YZ250F is enough for you no doubt. My brother is 6'1 260lbs. He can get over jumps just fine. The current gen 350, you still have to rev it to make the extra power. Both bikes will have excellent resale value. Those bikes are easy to sell, they aren't a 450. Honestly both bikes are good. The 21 KTM forks are better than the 18 you rode by far, but still aren't the KYB on the Yamaha.
AH387
6/19/2022 8:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2022 8:34pm
I feel the current-gen YZ250F is the easiest bike to ride for the broadest range of ppl (especially the 19-20.) So much bottom for a 250. You can take a lot of turns in 3rd gear. Gear selection in general on that bike is so much easier. The 350s gears run so long and they need a lot of revs. They are great bikes but the require their own style to ride. The YZF you just hop on and let it rip.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
6/19/2022 8:50pm
AH387 wrote:
I feel the current-gen YZ250F is the easiest bike to ride for the broadest range of ppl (especially the 19-20.) So much bottom for a 250...
I feel the current-gen YZ250F is the easiest bike to ride for the broadest range of ppl (especially the 19-20.) So much bottom for a 250. You can take a lot of turns in 3rd gear. Gear selection in general on that bike is so much easier. The 350s gears run so long and they need a lot of revs. They are great bikes but the require their own style to ride. The YZF you just hop on and let it rip.
It really is. Turns good, stable, really good bottom and rev response. Current 350 likes to be rev'd to at least the mid range and up. It does have decent bottom but it revs slower. 3rd gear is tough to run in tighter corners due how tall it is but goes forever.
AJ565
6/19/2022 9:45pm
Ride the 350 likes it’s a 2 stroke and it rewards you. Swap out the vented side cover and the 2 stroke air cage the bottom end and throttle response come back. As for the suspension everyone that hates it doesn’t take the time to actually set up the bike. They just mess with the forks a little bit and never mess with the shock then say how much they suck. Get the right rear spring, set the sag (KTM’s like the 103-105 range), change the clickers front and rear (MXA, for once has a great setup to start from), don't run too low of pressure or they ride low in the stroke and feel harsh. For your weight 155 psi would be where I’d start then check the for O-ring and see how much travel you have left and adjust from there.

Those that are saying the 350 likes the revs that’s true, but so does a 250 so kinda a moot point. Both are great bikes, both need setup to the rider to get the most out of them. Lot of people worry about the 250 not being enough for them when they’ll never even come close to using everything the bike has.
bd
6/19/2022 10:01pm
The bike with the best condition and lowest hours!
Motofinne
6/20/2022 1:00am
Being that tall, you would be more comfortable with the KTM ergos. I'd go with the 350.
AH387
6/20/2022 5:36am
AJ565 wrote:
Ride the 350 likes it’s a 2 stroke and it rewards you. Swap out the vented side cover and the 2 stroke air cage the bottom...
Ride the 350 likes it’s a 2 stroke and it rewards you. Swap out the vented side cover and the 2 stroke air cage the bottom end and throttle response come back. As for the suspension everyone that hates it doesn’t take the time to actually set up the bike. They just mess with the forks a little bit and never mess with the shock then say how much they suck. Get the right rear spring, set the sag (KTM’s like the 103-105 range), change the clickers front and rear (MXA, for once has a great setup to start from), don't run too low of pressure or they ride low in the stroke and feel harsh. For your weight 155 psi would be where I’d start then check the for O-ring and see how much travel you have left and adjust from there.

Those that are saying the 350 likes the revs that’s true, but so does a 250 so kinda a moot point. Both are great bikes, both need setup to the rider to get the most out of them. Lot of people worry about the 250 not being enough for them when they’ll never even come close to using everything the bike has.
Having both I can say that a YZF doesn't ever feel like it "needs revved out." It is snappy and lively right from the crack of the throttle. It's just a lot easier for the average person to mesh with the bike. Riding it is very natural. Shifting isn't critical at all on that bike. Other 250s are not really like that, but the YZF is (especially the 19-20.) The 350 I think has days when it feels great and other days it can be challenging to ride. I think the '23 350 engine sounds like it has gone in the direction that I think it needed to go, but I have yet to try one. But on the current one, there is a reason that you hear about different people searching for gearing solutions, doing things to the bike to get it to be more snappy / rev quicker etc. That doesn't mean a rider can't find whatever sweet spot works for them, but to the original point, the YZF is usually pretty drama free. Hop on and ride it. And that goes for the suspension too, unlike the 350.
AJ565
6/20/2022 6:31am
AJ565 wrote:
Ride the 350 likes it’s a 2 stroke and it rewards you. Swap out the vented side cover and the 2 stroke air cage the bottom...

AH387 wrote:
Having both I can say that a YZF doesn't ever feel like it "needs revved out." It is snappy and lively right from the crack of...
Having both I can say that a YZF doesn't ever feel like it "needs revved out." It is snappy and lively right from the crack of the throttle. It's just a lot easier for the average person to mesh with the bike. Riding it is very natural. Shifting isn't critical at all on that bike. Other 250s are not really like that, but the YZF is (especially the 19-20.) The 350 I think has days when it feels great and other days it can be challenging to ride. I think the '23 350 engine sounds like it has gone in the direction that I think it needed to go, but I have yet to try one. But on the current one, there is a reason that you hear about different people searching for gearing solutions, doing things to the bike to get it to be more snappy / rev quicker etc. That doesn't mean a rider can't find whatever sweet spot works for them, but to the original point, the YZF is usually pretty drama free. Hop on and ride it. And that goes for the suspension too, unlike the 350.
I swapped a twisted development ecu in and everything you described about the 350 is no longer there. It’s not even close to the same bike anymore. I didn’t really have any complaints before I swapped (I have 3 hours on the ecu and 33 on the bike). I think a lot of people hop on the bike and think you ride it like a 250 or 450 and that’s not the case. Treat it like a 2 stroke, clutch out of turns, rev it and the bike is an animal. Ride it like a regular 4 stroke and it’s sluggish out of turns. Full disclosure, I have stock gearing on it and I’m happy with it.
AH387
6/20/2022 7:08am
AJ565 wrote:
I swapped a twisted development ecu in and everything you described about the 350 is no longer there. It’s not even close to the same bike...
I swapped a twisted development ecu in and everything you described about the 350 is no longer there. It’s not even close to the same bike anymore. I didn’t really have any complaints before I swapped (I have 3 hours on the ecu and 33 on the bike). I think a lot of people hop on the bike and think you ride it like a 250 or 450 and that’s not the case. Treat it like a 2 stroke, clutch out of turns, rev it and the bike is an animal. Ride it like a regular 4 stroke and it’s sluggish out of turns. Full disclosure, I have stock gearing on it and I’m happy with it.
I hear you. Had I kept mine, I probably would've remapped it or went w/ a Vortex. But that is kind of my point, I wasn't happy and was searching for answers. They are great bikes, but I just think people go into them thinking it's the best of both worlds (250f/450) or the "just right" bike. But in reality it is it's own bike, with it's own pros/cons and certain type of riding style. To me, a bike that needs to be ridden aggressively shouldn't rev slow and be geared long. And the 350 is exactly like that. Revving any 250F is easy because they build rpms so quickly. 450s rev slow but have instant torque, so that's a non-issue. The 350 does neither and I think that's why some people don't get along with them. That's all I'm saying. They are still awesome bikes, with a ton of positives. They can be made even better. But in my opinion if someone such as the OP is asking to compare the 2, I just think the YZF is a bike that more people can ride it as-is and not need to tweak the bike or their riding style to feel comfortable.
andcone
6/20/2022 8:55am
Motofinne wrote:
Being that tall, you would be more comfortable with the KTM ergos. I'd go with the 350.
This right here. I am 6'3" and have a 21 YZ250F. I feel so cramped on it. I got the Flo lowering pegs and CR High Bend bars. Opens it up a little bit, but still not 100% comfy on it. Only thing I haven't done is get a high seat, but I prefer to be lower to the ground to avoid tip overs easier. Wish I went with a KTM 350 for ergo and slightly more power reasons.
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
6/20/2022 10:41am
Had a current gen yz250f, sold it 6 months later, hated the turner app, it lacked bottom compared to my buddy’s same year kx250 and was totally disappointed with the forks(not a SSS fan boy). If I was 140lbs the motor might have pulled me around better but at 200lbs I had to ride it harder then a 125 to maintain my normal pace, tons of shifting, rev limiter, work.

350 with a ecu or remapped on the other hand, ride it like a 250 two stroke and have fun, if I didn’t race the 250 class I’d have a 350 and what I’d suggest for a guy your size but I’d be open to a 450 also.

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ250F or 2021 KTM 350 SX-F

The Latest