2020 YZ 250F?

Looking into new bikes to possibly get soon as the year comes to a close and the new models become more widely available. The new 2020 yz250f looks like a pretty sweet treat to me, and ive always gelled with very well and favored yamaha's throughout most of my "career" as some would call it. Looking for possible insight into the new bikes if anyone knows anything about them, along with opinions about what would likely be the most ethical option of purchase, because its just my dad and i hustling to get these bikes in the garage, and money doesn't grow on trees lol, thanks
|
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/6/2019 5:06pm
Same as the '19 minus rubber grommet on the air filter
sandtrack315
8/7/2019 4:18am
I have mostly had Yamahas throughout my life as well and I feel at home on the 19. Thing is a rocketship and handles very predictably. 20 is cool since they fixed the air filter so you don’t have to buy the twin air powerflow set up. I bet you can get a leftover 19 for 1k less and the powerflow is 200...
Lynch
8/7/2019 4:50am
I have mostly had Yamahas throughout my life as well and I feel at home on the 19. Thing is a rocketship and handles very predictably...
I have mostly had Yamahas throughout my life as well and I feel at home on the 19. Thing is a rocketship and handles very predictably. 20 is cool since they fixed the air filter so you don’t have to buy the twin air powerflow set up. I bet you can get a leftover 19 for 1k less and the powerflow is 200...
How did they fix the airfilter? I must have missed something.

The Shop

sandtrack315
8/7/2019 7:15am
I have mostly had Yamahas throughout my life as well and I feel at home on the 19. Thing is a rocketship and handles very predictably...
Lynch wrote:
They put a rubber piece in so that it doesn’t vibrate anymore and shake dirt into the air box. I’m sure the powerflow setup is more ideal, but not as necessary anymore. Plus now you can run cheaper pre oiled filters. The twin air ones retail for 40 bucks.
brocsdad
8/7/2019 8:39am
Lynch wrote:
They put a rubber piece in so that it doesn’t vibrate anymore and shake dirt into the air box. I’m sure the powerflow setup is more...
They put a rubber piece in so that it doesn’t vibrate anymore and shake dirt into the air box. I’m sure the powerflow setup is more ideal, but not as necessary anymore. Plus now you can run cheaper pre oiled filters. The twin air ones retail for 40 bucks.
Ok,

So does the 19 has a rubber grommet on the filter? So can you just buy the 20 filter?

I was going to but the DT-1 setup with the screen removed.

sandtrack315
8/7/2019 8:59am
Lynch wrote:
They put a rubber piece in so that it doesn’t vibrate anymore and shake dirt into the air box. I’m sure the powerflow setup is more...
brocsdad wrote:
Ok, So does the 19 has a rubber grommet on the filter? So can you just buy the 20 filter? I was going to but the...
Ok,

So does the 19 has a rubber grommet on the filter? So can you just buy the 20 filter?

I was going to but the DT-1 setup with the screen removed.

I am not sure if you need a different screen / plate / whatever you call it. I haven't seen it yet. You could ask Keefer if he knows. Even so, I am sure you can buy the full OEM 2020 system, if necessary, and put it on a 19.
Lynch
8/7/2019 9:56am
Are you sure they didn't just add a rubber grommet to the existing design? Like Twinairs filters are? (Not the power flow)
8/7/2019 10:04am
Lynch wrote:
Are you sure they didn't just add a rubber grommet to the existing design? Like Twinairs filters are? (Not the power flow)
That's how I'm interpreting it.

I bought the twin air filter for my 19 but still having issues with penetration around the edges. Have the power flow arriving today. Other than that I love the bike!
Schlava
8/7/2019 11:48am
No toil just came out with their own version of the twin air unit. It's around $40, plastic instead of aluminum and comes with air filter. I'm installing in on my 19 this weekend. I was also finally starting to get bigger chunks of dirt/leaves past my air filter around the edges.
sandtrack315
8/7/2019 12:10pm
Schlava wrote:
No toil just came out with their own version of the twin air unit. It's around $40, plastic instead of aluminum and comes with air filter...
No toil just came out with their own version of the twin air unit. It's around $40, plastic instead of aluminum and comes with air filter. I'm installing in on my 19 this weekend. I was also finally starting to get bigger chunks of dirt/leaves past my air filter around the edges.
You actually find dirt in your air box? I’ve never seen a spec of dirt in there, but I have the powerflow kit.
Lynch
8/7/2019 12:17pm
Schlava wrote:
No toil just came out with their own version of the twin air unit. It's around $40, plastic instead of aluminum and comes with air filter...
Yeah I saw that a couple of weeks ago, I might buy that if I ever ride more sand. I have not had any problems on my 18 450 or 19 250. I would still want a backfire screen tho, kinda scared of the completely open intake Unsure I use shroud filters 90% of the time, keeps the big stuff out of the airbox without hindering airflow.
Schlava
8/7/2019 12:40pm
Funny I use shroud filters as well. The PC brand and stuff still gets past them. I ride more offroad so i find leaves and small sticks on top of my filter all the time! Agreed I don't like the no screen aspect but if i'm finding bigger items on top of my screen then small sand/dirt is also getting by that I can't see. So I'm comfortable taking a chance with no screen if I get the seal it should have.
Schlava
8/7/2019 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2019 12:42pm
Schlava wrote:
You actually find dirt in your air box? I’ve never seen a spec of dirt in there, but I have the powerflow kit.
Yes I find larger items on top of my screen all the time. Just last week i found parts of leaves on top of the filter. And I run the pre filter foam in the shrouds for added protection. I've used them ever since my 14.

Just to clarify this is with the stock set up I find stuff.
Lynch
8/7/2019 12:45pm
Schlava wrote:
Yes I find larger items on top of my screen all the time. Just last week i found parts of leaves on top of the filter...
Yes I find larger items on top of my screen all the time. Just last week i found parts of leaves on top of the filter. And I run the pre filter foam in the shrouds for added protection. I've used them ever since my 14.

Are you sure it's not dropping down when you remove your filter? Sounds odd that big stuff are making it's way past the edges.
grunkster
8/7/2019 12:50pm
i've been running the twinair's on my 19...no issues....totally stock airbox otherwise....offroad and mx track
sandtrack315
8/7/2019 12:55pm
Schlava wrote:
Schlava wrote:
Yes I find larger items on top of my screen all the time. Just last week i found parts of leaves on top of the filter...

That doesn’t seem normal or good.
rob162
8/9/2019 6:47am
The pc filter inserts for the shrouds help a shit ton!
RNagy052
8/9/2019 6:50am
rob162 wrote:
The pc filter inserts for the shrouds help a shit ton!
I use those on my 18 YZ450F in the shrouds and would recommend them, they do work well.
8/9/2019 10:46am
Picked mine up on Wednesday and taking it out for the first ride tomo!!
Tried looking for the shroud filters but had no joy in the uk.
Spoke to the shop I brought it from and they said they've had no issues with dirt ingestion on the 18s and 19s.
rob162
8/9/2019 11:28am
grimsypro wrote:
Picked mine up on Wednesday and taking it out for the first ride tomo!! Tried looking for the shroud filters but had no joy in the...
Picked mine up on Wednesday and taking it out for the first ride tomo!!
Tried looking for the shroud filters but had no joy in the uk.
Spoke to the shop I brought it from and they said they've had no issues with dirt ingestion on the 18s and 19s.
If you want them ill get and send em to you just pay for em and shipping
8/11/2019 8:20am
rob162 wrote:
If you want them ill get and send em to you just pay for em and shipping
Just sent you a message bud
MotoMo165
8/11/2019 8:41am
I just bought a basically brand new 16 250f. You guys are scaring me haha Are they all known to shit suck in?
motox331
8/12/2019 8:18am
MotoMo165 wrote:
I just bought a basically brand new 16 250f. You guys are scaring me haha Are they all known to shit suck in?
Your 16 is fine. This problem is only on the 19.
8/18/2019 9:52am
Has anyone found when you put a fresh filter on they suck oil off of it and dont want to start initially?
Never had an issue with my 2 stroke but after both filter changes the bike has took longer to fire with a freshly oiled filter
sandtrack315
8/18/2019 10:03am
grimsypro wrote:
Has anyone found when you put a fresh filter on they suck oil off of it and dont want to start initially? Never had an issue...
Has anyone found when you put a fresh filter on they suck oil off of it and dont want to start initially?
Never had an issue with my 2 stroke but after both filter changes the bike has took longer to fire with a freshly oiled filter
Nope. I’m pretty liberal with oil too. Make sure you give the oil time to tack up, about 4 hours, before installing.
8/18/2019 1:57pm
Ye I havent been leaving it that long to be fair. Will pre oil one so it has sat long enough. Never had an issue on the 2 stroke but perhaps it's because of the way the air box/ filter set up is.
motox331
8/19/2019 6:28am
grimsypro wrote:
Has anyone found when you put a fresh filter on they suck oil off of it and dont want to start initially? Never had an issue...
Yes this sometimes happens to me when I spray my filter and throw it in the bike at the track. Once the oil tacks up it starts right away. this is on my 15 250f

Post a reply to: 2020 YZ 250F?

The Latest