But what about the MEC

kx254f
Edited Date/Time 4/7/2020 4:46pm
I wonder if the MEC will be tied into the series somehow someway. I don’t think it’s too far fetched with Monster being involved with the series and their unique event. The MEC would need a format change adding the 250s. Maybe make it a futures weekend and you got your 250 futures and supermini classes covered just not broadcasted. What would you do if you were Monster and your event is now falling within the continuation of the 2020 SX series? Cancel? Postpone?
|
kx254f
4/3/2020 4:41am
Posted a week ago and not one thumb down? How is that possible? Especially during the quarantine...
Ryan625
4/3/2020 8:23am
Probably gone the way of the LV US Open opener, or the one time McGrath Invitational, etc...
Anton_514
4/3/2020 8:53am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2020 8:55am
This came up during Prater’s media sessions this week. Right now they still have that date at the venue in Carson and it could be part of the Fall SX schedule, but there seems to be some uncertainty around that now. Because if the MLS Galaxy come back at that same time and need the date, then things could change and Feld could lose the date. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but if so, I don’t see SX getting the nod over the full-time tenants of the stadium.

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
4/3/2020 9:19am
I see Nascar infields being used. They are some of the only venues that will not have packed schedules.

Football and baseball will be in full swing if Supercross is going.
4/3/2020 9:26am
Last years was a puff piece.... many of the riders didn't show. Aside from the virus BS making a mess of things....it's scheduling is bad. I can live without it.
TDeath21
4/3/2020 9:41am
I see Nascar infields being used. They are some of the only venues that will not have packed schedules. Football and baseball will be in full...
I see Nascar infields being used. They are some of the only venues that will not have packed schedules.

I’ve said for awhile they should do a race inside of Bristol. They have had college football games there so it’s obviously doable. Would be pretty awesome.
AngryBear
4/3/2020 10:13am

bristol is massive. seats 162k. would def make for a unique event, somewhat between daytona and a regular sx. biggest issue from spectating perspective would be how far stands are from the infield, considering the oval track.

kx254f
4/3/2020 8:02pm
Last years was a puff piece.... many of the riders didn't show. Aside from the virus BS making a mess of things....it's scheduling is bad. I...
Last years was a puff piece.... many of the riders didn't show. Aside from the virus BS making a mess of things....it's scheduling is bad. I can live without it.
I went last year and it was such a great race to watch. The Cinciarulo/Tomac battle was unreal. I don't understand how a moto fan could do with less racing even if it's a limited field. A good race gets my heart pumping no matter who is involved.

JM485
4/3/2020 11:03pm
MEC is done. Who cares about that race and the Red Bull straight rhythm stuff
Ya I really hated watching Tomac and AC go at it, as well as seeing a lot of the top pros battle it out on two strokes with incredibly tight racing and a relaxed atmosphere.Pinch

FFS I'm starting to become convinced this is a board for people who hate motocross, it's getting unbearable.
4/4/2020 9:13am
kx254f wrote:
I went last year and it was such a great race to watch. The Cinciarulo/Tomac battle was unreal. I don't understand how a moto fan could...
I went last year and it was such a great race to watch. The Cinciarulo/Tomac battle was unreal. I don't understand how a moto fan could do with less racing even if it's a limited field. A good race gets my heart pumping no matter who is involved.

I enjoyed the earlier year MECs....this one was dullsville for me without all the top talent. It started going downhill for me when Savatchy pulled over for Tomac 2 years ago. Yeah, Tomac might have passed him...but that was just lame.
It needs a schedule change IMO....I see why many of the top riders are skipping it now. Too much on the line heading into SX season.

On the comment about straight rhythm... I'm much more into it now that they're running 2-strokes and we're seeing top level guys running it.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/4/2020 9:41am
I enjoyed the earlier year MECs....this one was dullsville for me without all the top talent. It started going downhill for me when Savatchy pulled over...
I enjoyed the earlier year MECs....this one was dullsville for me without all the top talent. It started going downhill for me when Savatchy pulled over for Tomac 2 years ago. Yeah, Tomac might have passed him...but that was just lame.
It needs a schedule change IMO....I see why many of the top riders are skipping it now. Too much on the line heading into SX season.

On the comment about straight rhythm... I'm much more into it now that they're running 2-strokes and we're seeing top level guys running it.

I'm not sure what you've been watching over the years, but the MEC is generally a leaner field than regular-season races.
CPR
4/4/2020 3:23pm
If we get any racing in this year, let it be SX deciders and some outdoors.
MEC? More Meh.
ts.p311
4/4/2020 3:35pm
I see Nascar infields being used. They are some of the only venues that will not have packed schedules. Football and baseball will be in full...

TDeath21 wrote:
I’ve said for awhile they should do a race inside of Bristol. They have had college football games there so it’s obviously doable. Would be pretty...
I’ve said for awhile they should do a race inside of Bristol. They have had college football games there so it’s obviously doable. Would be pretty awesome.
I've always thought that'd be cool too, but the place would look so empty. No way a SX could pack the place like NASCAR, or the vols can.
4/4/2020 6:03pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm not sure what you've been watching over the years, but the MEC is generally a leaner field than regular-season races.
Perhaps.... The earlier ones were more exciting.... maybe it's my old brain. Nonetheless, the last two were snoozefests.... just my .02 cents.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/4/2020 6:50pm
Perhaps.... The earlier ones were more exciting.... maybe it's my old brain. Nonetheless, the last two were snoozefests.... just my .02 cents.
You must have snoozed through last year's. I got what I wanted out of it, especially the battle between Eli and Adam.
kx254f
4/5/2020 6:50am
The $100,000 per moto or $1,000,000 sweep prize and the idea that riders get to “gauge where they’re at with fitness and bike setup” is where the appeal has been in this event for riders. I think it would be cool to have it as part of the series or maybe as the finale race with bigger money up for grabs. The 2020 Daytona 500 had a $23.6 purse and the winner brought home over $2,000,000. Why not switch it up and give some of the non-championship contenders more reason to hang it out Evil
davis224
Fantasy
165th
4/5/2020 7:28am
What if they were to somehow incorporate it into the regular season, say as the final round "blowout" race, championship on the line as well as the million dollar prize for the race? Too much of a gimmick? I'd rather see that than a standalone race with half the normal riders.
hubbardmx50
4/5/2020 9:46am
Carson or Vegas, either way I'll be attending. 2019 was my first monster cup and I had a blast. Such good racing between Adam and Eli. Sam Boyd was nice for parking, we literally just parked in dirt across the stadium for free and got out super fast after the race was over.
kkawboy14
4/5/2020 5:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/5/2020 8:03pm
MEC?......dude I’m just trying to make it thru this month without dying! 😂
SBO
4/5/2020 5:41pm
make MEC the remaining triple crown
kx254f
4/5/2020 6:54pm
SBO wrote:
make MEC the remaining triple crown

NWmx756
4/6/2020 3:23pm

drag strips also like the 2000 Joliet SX at route 66.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/6/2020 3:35pm
NWmx756 wrote:
IMHO dragstrips make terrible SX venues.

They could use the Pomona Fairgrounds where RedBull Straight Rhythm takes place. Close to almost every team, decent area to pull a sizeable crowd, and the weather here around then is generally great.
NWmx756
4/6/2020 3:55pm
NWmx756 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
IMHO dragstrips make terrible SX venues. They could use the Pomona Fairgrounds where RedBull Straight Rhythm takes place. Close to almost every team, decent area to...

They could use the Pomona Fairgrounds where RedBull Straight Rhythm takes place. Close to almost every team, decent area to pull a sizeable crowd, and the weather here around then is generally great.
Have there been more than the 1 in 2000? I can’t recall. I however thought that was a cool race because it was so unique.
EngIceDave
4/6/2020 6:56pm
MEC is a whole different event with a completely different set of sponsors and obligations.
I will NOT be a part of any SX make up races.
If not run, tons of money will be lost down the tubes and contracts will be in violation.

If you remember correctly, the event is sponsored by Monster from top to bottom....It's basically a Monster produced event, similar for Red Bull SR

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/6/2020 6:58pm
NWmx756 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
IMHO dragstrips make terrible SX venues. They could use the Pomona Fairgrounds where RedBull Straight Rhythm takes place. Close to almost every team, decent area to...

NWmx756 wrote:
Have there been more than the 1 in 2000? I can’t recall. I however thought that was a cool race because it was so unique.
It's the only one I have seen in my lifetime, and it wasn't great.
EngIceDave
4/6/2020 8:02pm
I was at that Joliet race, it sucked
Track sucked, dangerous walls all over the place and with jumps over walls (where it was protruding on sides of jumps)

Not to mention it was cold AF
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/6/2020 9:13pm
EngIceDave wrote:
I was at that Joliet race, it sucked Track sucked, dangerous walls all over the place and with jumps over walls (where it was protruding on...
I was at that Joliet race, it sucked
Track sucked, dangerous walls all over the place and with jumps over walls (where it was protruding on sides of jumps)

Not to mention it was cold AF
If you weren't so skinny, it wouldn't be a problem.

Post a reply to: But what about the MEC

The Latest