2020 CRF450RWE test ride by Keefer

H4L
Edited Date/Time 3/25/2020 9:34am
In case some of you haven't seen the vid.. Agree with his comments on the bike.

|
sandtrack315
3/23/2020 5:24am
Who TF downvoted this. Awesome video. I prefer a 250F but that thing looks awesome...
gjbruny
3/23/2020 5:41am
Love keefers reviews! Those WEs are absolutely gorgeous! Crazy how fast he wore the paint off the clutch cover!
H4L
3/23/2020 6:54am
gjbruny wrote:
Love keefers reviews! Those WEs are absolutely gorgeous! Crazy how fast he wore the paint off the clutch cover!
Agree. I really like Keefer’s reviews as well because he calls like it is & comes across as a genuine person. Also was thinking the same thing about the clutch cover . They could have used 2 different bikes in the vid..

The Shop

slipdog
3/23/2020 7:29am
"I reduced torque on the front and side number plates by 11% and that really increased straight-line stability without sacrificing corner entry lean in while increasing hp due to less frictional losses. Win-Win!"
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/23/2020 8:25am
Good vid, confused why this is coming out almost a year after the 2020's were released though?
H4L
3/23/2020 5:40pm
soggy wrote:
Good vid, confused why this is coming out almost a year after the 2020's were released though?
Good question. I was wondering that myself. Maybe Keefer can chime in & shed some light on it.
Kris Keefer
3/23/2020 7:04pm
Thanks guys... The WE's sometimes don't get passed around the media until later in the year. Honda will delegate the "R's" first because they simply don't have as many "WE's" to go around. I am still working on cranking out content even in these unfortunate times. Just posted up a pod about the 2020 Honda CRF450RWE on my site that dives into the "R" and "WE" models a little more. Hope to see some of you at a track soon!
ledger
3/23/2020 10:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2020 10:59pm
I misread the topic and thought H4L and Keefer were testing this bike together, lol. H4L...I know you would if you could !! Great vid, thanks.
H4L
3/24/2020 6:02am
ledger wrote:
I misread the topic and thought H4L and Keefer were testing this bike together, lol. H4L...I know you would if you could !! Great vid, thanks.
That would be a cool gig to have. Cool
H4L
3/24/2020 6:14am
Thanks guys... The WE's sometimes don't get passed around the media until later in the year. Honda will delegate the "R's" first because they simply don't...
Thanks guys... The WE's sometimes don't get passed around the media until later in the year. Honda will delegate the "R's" first because they simply don't have as many "WE's" to go around. I am still working on cranking out content even in these unfortunate times. Just posted up a pod about the 2020 Honda CRF450RWE on my site that dives into the "R" and "WE" models a little more. Hope to see some of you at a track soon!
Hey Kris Thanks for your response.

Curious on your thoughts about current model bikes like the WE. How far advanced are these showroom models in comparison to manufacturer factory bikes say like 10 yrs. back or so ?
Some of these modern 450’s are really good off the showroom floors vs. what was available to the public when they were 1st introduced.
KW62
3/24/2020 7:40am
Thanks guys... The WE's sometimes don't get passed around the media until later in the year. Honda will delegate the "R's" first because they simply don't...
Hey Kris, I noticed around the 7 minute mark you mentioned turning in the fork rebound 1 click to get more hold up. That seems counter-intuitive to me...wouldn't slowing the rebound down keep the fork in the lower part of the stroke longer? Or maybe the slower rebound just makes it "feel" like it's holding up more? Curious on your thoughts there.

Thanks for the review as always!
biondo
3/24/2020 7:55am
H4L wrote:

Great looking bike bike! How much out the door?
Kris Keefer
3/24/2020 8:45am
KW62 wrote:
Hey Kris, I noticed around the 7 minute mark you mentioned turning in the fork rebound 1 click to get more hold up. That seems counter-intuitive...
Hey Kris, I noticed around the 7 minute mark you mentioned turning in the fork rebound 1 click to get more hold up. That seems counter-intuitive to me...wouldn't slowing the rebound down keep the fork in the lower part of the stroke longer? Or maybe the slower rebound just makes it "feel" like it's holding up more? Curious on your thoughts there.

Slowing the rebound down will help with damping feel as well. The slower moving fork settles the front end down as well as prevents the fork from moving too quick through the stroke, effectively creating more hold up. Each adjustment (rebound, compression) has a distinct feel to it when riding.
ace402
3/24/2020 8:54am
H4L wrote:
Hey Kris Thanks for your response. Curious on your thoughts about current model bikes like the WE. How far advanced are these showroom models in comparison...

Curious on your thoughts about current model bikes like the WE. How far advanced are these showroom models in comparison to manufacturer factory bikes say like 10 yrs. back or so ?
Some of these modern 450’s are really good off the showroom floors vs. what was available to the public when they were 1st introduced.
I 2nd this. Would love to know how this bike compares to older works bikes.
sandtrack315
3/24/2020 10:46am
H4L wrote:
Hey Kris Thanks for your response. Curious on your thoughts about current model bikes like the WE. How far advanced are these showroom models in comparison...

ace402 wrote:
I don't think it's really apples to apples. Factory bikes have parts that are never going to make sense on production bikes, particularly suspension components. I think, overall, the production bikes now are much better, but there are likely aspects of the factory bikes over 10 years ago that are still much better than what's on production bikes now. So, in statistical terms, the mean performance of production bikes is better than older factory bikes, but some factory parts from 10 years ago are still much better than what's in production now.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/24/2020 11:00am
I don't think it's really apples to apples. Factory bikes have parts that are never going to make sense on production bikes, particularly suspension components. I...
I don't think it's really apples to apples. Factory bikes have parts that are never going to make sense on production bikes, particularly suspension components. I think, overall, the production bikes now are much better, but there are likely aspects of the factory bikes over 10 years ago that are still much better than what's on production bikes now. So, in statistical terms, the mean performance of production bikes is better than older factory bikes, but some factory parts from 10 years ago are still much better than what's in production now.
It's more about the hours of testing, fine tuning, and personalized setup than the special parts. In other words if you got off your 2020 CRF450 and on to RC's 2004 CRF450, you'd probably think your bike is better because it's setup for you and what you like in a bike is nothing like what RC likes.
ace402
3/24/2020 11:08am
H4L wrote:

ace402 wrote:
I don't think it's really apples to apples. Factory bikes have parts that are never going to make sense on production bikes, particularly suspension components. I...
I totally get that. I think the point of the original comment was to find out how close they are getting. No one would argue that a stock 2006 YZ250 is light years ahead of a 1986 YZ250. The question is how close is the new WE to an older factory bike.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/24/2020 11:08am
i think they were talking about the 2019 WE not works race bikes.
mxb2
3/24/2020 11:16am
ace402 wrote:
ace402 wrote:
I totally get that. I think the point of the original comment was to find out how close they are getting. No one would argue that...
I totally get that. I think the point of the original comment was to find out how close they are getting. No one would argue that a stock 2006 YZ250 is light years ahead of a 1986 YZ250. The question is how close is the new WE to an older factory bike.
Tim ferry told me his 15 kawy 450 was better than his 07 mxdn bike.
TeamGreen
3/24/2020 12:06pm
Let’s see...
The “hand porter” cylinder head.
The complete Yosh system ($1,400)
Shock & Fork Coatings (too much $!)
The Seat cover and graphics ($200)
The DID LTX rims (currently on sale on some sites!)
ECU settings
A chain that doesn’t suck (RK Gold $100)

And it costs $2,600 more? Well, the guys I race against that have one...LOVE IT! For the Hondaphile types, I’d say it’s worth it.

On the other hand: if ya go get a smoking deal on an R...make it your own version that you want...your way....
Well, I’m sure you could get A LOT done with the $2,600 you saved.
H4L
3/24/2020 12:18pm
Good conversation fellas..
I understand a factory bike is tailored to that particular rider on a particular manufacturer, but was more so wondering how this WE compared to factory bikes of the recent past & how much the gap has been closed.

Also, does anybody know what the HP is on this model ? I read somewhere that it is actually detuned vs. the R model even though it has head porting, Yosh system & mapping to compliment the engine mods..
BobbyM
3/24/2020 12:25pm
That guy sounds like he knows his shit, does a fine job on this review.
kiwifan
3/24/2020 12:40pm
gjbruny wrote:
H4L wrote:
Agree. I really like Keefer’s reviews as well because he calls like it is & comes across as a genuine person. Also was thinking the same...
Agree. I really like Keefer’s reviews as well because he calls like it is & comes across as a genuine person. Also was thinking the same thing about the clutch cover . They could have used 2 different bikes in the vid..
100% agree mate!
H4L
3/24/2020 7:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2020 7:34pm
biondo wrote:
That depends on the dealer & how you negotiate. I bought one the 1st week of Sept. 2019 when they hit the showroom floors. No dealer within a 100 mile radius was willing to negotiate so I paid full price + fees. I lost out on buying a 19 model because I waited for them to come down, but they sold out. Didn't want that to happen on the 20 model so I was willing to pay the asking price.
I would think now would be a good time to buy considering what is happening.
JB 19
3/24/2020 8:02pm
H4L wrote:
Good conversation fellas.. I understand a factory bike is tailored to that particular rider on a particular manufacturer, but was more so wondering how this WE...
Good conversation fellas..
I understand a factory bike is tailored to that particular rider on a particular manufacturer, but was more so wondering how this WE compared to factory bikes of the recent past & how much the gap has been closed.

Also, does anybody know what the HP is on this model ? I read somewhere that it is actually detuned vs. the R model even though it has head porting, Yosh system & mapping to compliment the engine mods..
When I was a kid my dad bought Greg Rand's 1990 Loretta's bikes the week after Loretta's. They were both new KX80's. One was bone stock for the stock class and the other was his full mod Pro Circuit bike. Greg won one class that year, with Kevin Windham winning the other. (Look it up) I was 2 years younger than Greg. I thought the Pro Circuit bike would be completely unridable for me. Greg's dad said it was easy to ride. Ironically the Pro Circuit bike was much faster AND easier to ride. It had a very smooth and long power band. Felt like it had no gaps anywhere, just a perfectly linear power band.

After racing the mod bike and practicing on the stock bike, the stock bike became the hard one to ride.
biondo
3/24/2020 8:24pm
biondo wrote:
H4L wrote:
That depends on the dealer & how you negotiate. I bought one the 1st week of Sept. 2019 when they hit the showroom floors. No dealer...
That depends on the dealer & how you negotiate. I bought one the 1st week of Sept. 2019 when they hit the showroom floors. No dealer within a 100 mile radius was willing to negotiate so I paid full price + fees. I lost out on buying a 19 model because I waited for them to come down, but they sold out. Didn't want that to happen on the 20 model so I was willing to pay the asking price.
I would think now would be a good time to buy considering what is happening.
Thanks for the info...maybe with the foreseeable economic situation the demand
Might lower the cost a bit....but sounds like it’s race ready out of the crate!
Stay Safe 🤠
cwtoyota
3/25/2020 2:24am
KW62 wrote:
Hey Kris, I noticed around the 7 minute mark you mentioned turning in the fork rebound 1 click to get more hold up. That seems counter-intuitive...

Slowing the rebound down will help with damping feel as well. The slower moving fork settles the front end down as well as prevents the fork...
Slowing the rebound down will help with damping feel as well. The slower moving fork settles the front end down as well as prevents the fork from moving too quick through the stroke, effectively creating more hold up. Each adjustment (rebound, compression) has a distinct feel to it when riding.
I can offer a little technical insight into why there's some hold-up from the rebound change.

If you look a the oil flow through a Showa 49 twin chamber fork (it's the same as the KYB system) you have a needle restricting a port through the center of the mid-valve piston. That needle is controlled by the rebound clicker (opend or closed).

Oil can flow through that needle in both directions in most standard forks (including the Showa 49).
That rebound clicker has a smaller effect on the compression oil flow than on rebound with most valving settings because most tuners use a thing called "float" in the mid valve. The float allows a certain amount of extra oil to flow through in compression at low speed. Float works like a partial check-valve to increase low speed compression oil flow (more flow is less damping).

Some aftermarket and works suspension systems use a check valve to isolate that oil flow through the needle port so oil can only go through in the rebound direction. That's more common in a rear shock than in a fork. Aftermarket companies like Race Tech sell shock shaft nuts with check valves built in.
Motofinne
3/25/2020 3:42am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2020 3:44am
TeamGreen wrote:
Let’s see... The “hand porter” cylinder head. The complete Yosh system ($1,400) Shock & Fork Coatings (too much $!) The Seat cover and graphics ($200) The...
Let’s see...
The “hand porter” cylinder head.
The complete Yosh system ($1,400)
Shock & Fork Coatings (too much $!)
The Seat cover and graphics ($200)
The DID LTX rims (currently on sale on some sites!)
ECU settings
A chain that doesn’t suck (RK Gold $100)

And it costs $2,600 more? Well, the guys I race against that have one...LOVE IT! For the Hondaphile types, I’d say it’s worth it.

On the other hand: if ya go get a smoking deal on an R...make it your own version that you want...your way....
Well, I’m sure you could get A LOT done with the $2,600 you saved.
Spot on. Same with the KTM and Husky FE/RE models. They are actually good value when you add up the retail cost of the parts.

If i'm looking to get a 2020 CRF450, i would absolutely buy the RWE if i could find one. The re-sell value in these bikes are also better than the normal bikes.

Post a reply to: 2020 CRF450RWE test ride by Keefer

The Latest