2020 450 Shootouts

OLDMOTO
8/13/2019 8:51am
I love everything about this shootout video. Keep doing you ML. Great content! I'm a fan and appreciate the work you do. PS: To me, MXA...
I love everything about this shootout video. Keep doing you ML. Great content! I'm a fan and appreciate the work you do.

PS: To me, MXA lost all credibility with this post. Sure, i'm an Alta owner myself, but a major media outlet in the industry laughing at an american made dirtbike.... pretty un-american if you ask me....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0el0x7pp5l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful in the MXA Instagram. They showed a real life picture of an Alta at the track charging and noted they were there along with 2 and 4 strokes. Just fact like what ML is producing.
captmoto
8/13/2019 9:11am
PS. Bud needs you to water the left hander below the big down hill.
NO!!!! That fucker was like quicksand last time I was out there/
CivBars
8/13/2019 9:12am
ML512 wrote:
The Husqvarna was purchase from AEO Powersports in Murrieta, big thanks to Jeremy over there for helping me out even though I have a deal with...
The Husqvarna was purchase from AEO Powersports in Murrieta, big thanks to Jeremy over there for helping me out even though I have a deal with Chaparral.

And yes, I did piss off some magazines. I got calls about it all week from OEMs who said that one of them had threatened them over my Shootout.

As for the Yamaha, the mags can wait because they’re waiting on their loaner bikes from the OEM. Which means they have to sign a NDA when they test them. Mine was privately acquired so I didn’t have to sign a NDA.
When I saw that you were dealing with Chaparral, I was curious about where you got the Husky too. Glad you figured something out and I'm not surprised that AEO and Jeremy were willing to help. He's rad and their stores are always improving/ expanding. Good insight on this shootout. Thanks ML.
m21racing
8/13/2019 9:12am
I watched it, and thought it did well at describing each of the machines. I pay most attention to the suspension analysis amongst the bikes. We got valving spec sheets on a few of the bikes, so it was nice to see the rider feedback, while being able to see the spec at same time. I pretty much watch all the shootout vids i can. Good job on the vids!

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/13/2019 9:14am
ML512 wrote:
The Husqvarna was purchase from AEO Powersports in Murrieta, big thanks to Jeremy over there for helping me out even though I have a deal with...
The Husqvarna was purchase from AEO Powersports in Murrieta, big thanks to Jeremy over there for helping me out even though I have a deal with Chaparral.

And yes, I did piss off some magazines. I got calls about it all week from OEMs who said that one of them had threatened them over my Shootout.

As for the Yamaha, the mags can wait because they’re waiting on their loaner bikes from the OEM. Which means they have to sign a NDA when they test them. Mine was privately acquired so I didn’t have to sign a NDA.
CivBars wrote:
When I saw that you were dealing with Chaparral, I was curious about where you got the Husky too. Glad you figured something out and I'm...
When I saw that you were dealing with Chaparral, I was curious about where you got the Husky too. Glad you figured something out and I'm not surprised that AEO and Jeremy were willing to help. He's rad and their stores are always improving/ expanding. Good insight on this shootout. Thanks ML.
He's a good dude and I'm glad he's the one who ended up with the shop over in Murrieta, he's so committed to it and the community.
Paul333
8/13/2019 9:26am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2019 10:19am
I understand the hostility towards MXA testing over the years a lot more after reading the thread.

A Vital clique has decided they are the worlds greatest test riders. Most with zero to maybe a year or so doing reviews. They used Vital as a springboard to go out on their own. That hasn't panned out yet so they return to Vital. MXA having 50 years of bike testing credibility seems to bother them. Made worse because MXA won't kiss the ring of this clique. Good for them.

Buying the bikes yourself verses simply taking a loaner from the bike manufacturers PR departments somehow gives anyone "More Credibility"?

In my opinion test riding takes years of experience. At least before I pay any attention to your opinion. Why are you any more enlightened than me? Because you had Vital as a springboard? Because your friends shill for you on Vital? Nope

Test, ride, learn, keep humble. If you do a good job the credibility will come.
Casting
8/13/2019 9:29am
Damn ML, this is a mic drop. Kudos for betting on yourself and having a novel approach to Shootouts.

Respect.

Now in between everything else you're doing, how about you go on the pulp show more?
8/13/2019 9:31am
Paul333 wrote:
I understand the hostility towards MXA testing over the years a lot more after reading the thread. A Vital clique has decided they are the worlds...
I understand the hostility towards MXA testing over the years a lot more after reading the thread.

A Vital clique has decided they are the worlds greatest test riders. Most with zero to maybe a year or so doing reviews. They used Vital as a springboard to go out on their own. That hasn't panned out yet so they return to Vital. MXA having 50 years of bike testing credibility seems to bother them. Made worse because MXA won't kiss the ring of this clique. Good for them.

Buying the bikes yourself verses simply taking a loaner from the bike manufacturers PR departments somehow gives anyone "More Credibility"?

In my opinion test riding takes years of experience. At least before I pay any attention to your opinion. Why are you any more enlightened than me? Because you had Vital as a springboard? Because your friends shill for you on Vital? Nope

Hi Jody!
yz133rider
8/13/2019 9:31am
Paul333 wrote:
I understand the hostility towards MXA testing over the years a lot more after reading the thread. A Vital clique has decided they are the worlds...

Your questioning ML's ability as a test rider? Interesting. He has a much more extensive history than " zero to maybe a year at vital" lol
swtwtwtw
8/13/2019 9:34am
Don’t change a thing, it’s awesome and appreciated.
8/13/2019 9:59am
Hey, ML, curiosity question. Does the 2020 Yamaha have an improved air filter system? Thought I read that somewhere. In my mind and from experience, that's the only thing that really needs to be improved on the bike. That and a continued effort to shed weight.
Johnny Depp
8/13/2019 9:59am
I love everything about this shootout video. Keep doing you ML. Great content! I'm a fan and appreciate the work you do. PS: To me, MXA...
I love everything about this shootout video. Keep doing you ML. Great content! I'm a fan and appreciate the work you do.

PS: To me, MXA lost all credibility with this post. Sure, i'm an Alta owner myself, but a major media outlet in the industry laughing at an american made dirtbike.... pretty un-american if you ask me....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0el0x7pp5l/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
OLDMOTO wrote:
I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful in the MXA Instagram. They showed a real life picture of an Alta at the track charging and noted...
I don't see anything wrong or disrespectful in the MXA Instagram. They showed a real life picture of an Alta at the track charging and noted they were there along with 2 and 4 strokes. Just fact like what ML is producing.
AFAIK an Alta has never been featured in MXA anywhere, as if it didn't exist. One more reason for lap times on tests.
Natester551v
8/13/2019 10:00am
The burning question is: do Glen Helen and MXA know that the President of SoCal OTMX is now their (un)official spokesman?

It seems really odd that a grown man would get so upset over what ML is doing - to the point where he'll jump on a message board and start hurling insults and thinly-veiled threats.

What's interesting about the moto magazine industry is how little money there actually is for everyone but the very few OG editors. The young "associate" editors make almost nothing, and a former senior editor friend of mine (from a now defunct print magazine) was still making peanuts just a few years ago. There's a reason that they cycle through so many...they're basically living in poverty in order to live the moto dream.

Most of these magazines are nothing more than overt advertising platforms to allow the editors to live the moto lifestyle...there is honestly so much conflict of interest (excepting Michael L. and his shootout - I totally applaud him for what he's doing) that they don't even bother to hide it. There is very little actual journalism in motocross, because there simply isn't enough money to risk pissing off anyone in the industry.

I saw an actual "Shop Now" link on the home page of one of them this morning and had to laugh.
tackomoto
8/13/2019 10:08am
Love what you're doing ML. It's free, informative content guys! If you don't like it,you don't have to watch it.

MXA is still relevant? Hahahahaha....no.
Johnny Ringo
8/13/2019 10:25am
Not the biggest ML fan in the world but I am fully on board with his program here. I may have to subscribe to his channel after this power move. love it.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/13/2019 10:27am
Not the biggest ML fan in the world but I am fully on board with his program here. I may have to subscribe to his channel...
Not the biggest ML fan in the world but I am fully on board with his program here. I may have to subscribe to his channel after this power move. love it.
We’re making th progress! WoohooCool If you do, thank you for the sub and view.
bvm111
8/13/2019 10:37am
Michael keep up the good work!

I have always enjoyed your contribution to Vital while you were here as an Admin and now with your new channel!

Keep it coming and I’ll just leave this here because I think it makes all of us laugh!

Casting
8/13/2019 10:38am
Paul333 wrote:

Appealing to education and authority is one of the oldest logical fallacies in the book.

Knowing that an advanced degree, or years of experience in this case, does not necessarily make someone an expert is important to recognize... otherwise you're at risk of going through life thinking you're #1 simply because you have more time putting in work compared to your competition.

I've never met ML, but he comes across as mechanically inclined and intelligent regarding dirt bikes. Also, purchasing the bikes himself shows he's not beholden to any factory influence. Good enough for me.
OLDMOTO
8/13/2019 11:01am
I'm confused. This post was originally about the bike tests. ML512 did a good job. It's so long now at 6 pages. Where did MAX officially post something here? I saw that Mr. Info posted. In other posts he was accused of being a Glen Helen employee and now in this post he is employed by MXA. Could he really be just another opinion posted on the internet and not a secret agent for some secret conspiracy? Sometimes these things turn into lynchings. I read MXA, RacerX and Dirtrider. I miss TWMX and I'm sorry they went out of business. I enjoy them and their "opinons" and I enjoy Vital, Swap, RacerX as well. I also enjoy holding the paper in my hand. There is something special about reading books and magazines. I would hate to see go away. Our sport needs all the coverage and exposure it can get.
sandtrack315
8/13/2019 11:18am
Hey, ML, curiosity question. Does the 2020 Yamaha have an improved air filter system? Thought I read that somewhere. In my mind and from experience, that's...
Hey, ML, curiosity question. Does the 2020 Yamaha have an improved air filter system? Thought I read that somewhere. In my mind and from experience, that's the only thing that really needs to be improved on the bike. That and a continued effort to shed weight.
I know that the 250F now comes with extra rubber on the air filter. The box is the same, so you could easily buy the 250F air filter and throw it on there, I assume.
8/13/2019 11:38am
Paul333 wrote:

I’d call you an MXA employee, but there aren’t enough typos or basic grammar mistakes.

Anyways, Jody called and said he needs his shoes shined, so go get your shinebox.
JM485
8/13/2019 12:28pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Let’s leave it here. I didn’t lie, no miss information. Only agenda is telling the truth by anybody to the public is a reflection on their...
Let’s leave it here. I didn’t lie, no miss information. Only agenda is telling the truth by anybody to the public is a reflection on their work and credibility that’s it. If you tell the truth from the beginning you don’t need to go back and change your story. I only saw the introduction but knew the behind the scenes because of it.
I don’t buy my bike because of any magazine or pod test. I ride each one first because I ask friends to ride their bike. Last post on this but knowing the Industry there will be others for other reasons. Just be honest and tell the truth.
Oh just so you know I am not an employee of Glen Helen but I do work for them from time to time. I act as current President of the SoCal OTMX Club and have a regular job outside the industry and have called out others for misunderstandings. Is it that hard to just tell the truth. That’s all everyone asks I think. No one can just lie or misrepresent it’s not fair to anyone.
Have a great week. And God Bless you all.
Bud says to quit posting and get to work - says the first turn looks like a real abortion this morning.
Holy hell that’s funny on a couple different levels, well played HarrybroLaughing
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/13/2019 12:41pm
Paul333 wrote:

it give it more credibility as its been said that the manufactures 'prep' the bikes for the shootouts, taking out some of the production bikes flaws with mapping, suspension settings and other factors that could not be seen,

MXA lost some of its creditability a while back, a-lot of it seem to come down to a few of its employees ego's, but its been going that long its still got some, and will have its old school followers that still like it, Print is nearly dead, and the fact its still produced over a heap of other titles that have gone shows it still has its place,
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/13/2019 1:35pm
I'd like to see the test done on some different tracks, maybe with some deep loam and deep ruts and some tight turns. The track in...
I'd like to see the test done on some different tracks, maybe with some deep loam and deep ruts and some tight turns. The track in the video seemed like the bikes were pinned in taller gears all the way around. Maybe come east to something a little different. Just me though. Great video.
ML512 wrote:
We did ride three different tracks, just one was the majority of the filming. Glen Helen, Cahuilla and Fox Raceway. As for East Coast, you're in...
We did ride three different tracks, just one was the majority of the filming. Glen Helen, Cahuilla and Fox Raceway.

As for East Coast, you're in luck, I believe Keefer is going to do that this year in leu of a West Coast one. Sadly, I didn't have the budge to pull this off. I hope Keefer gets a big draw from his East-based one, he's taking on quite the project with it and I'm super stoked to see the results.
DT-1 in Tulare isn't all that far of a drive, and with sufficient water it really ruts up...
You could even find some local riders to assist in the testing!
Brent
8/13/2019 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2019 2:15pm
Paul333 wrote:

I have to address this quote taken from your post:

"Buying the bikes yourself verses simply taking a loaner from the bike manufacturers PR departments somehow gives anyone "More Credibility"?

I have seen (and ridden) mag test bikes that had different components than same model stock motorcycle I was racing.

Back in late 2004, the 2005 CRF 450 magazine test bike I rode had a different front brake disc and caliper than my new 05 stocker, and this was right when the bikes came out, I had bought one of the first ones released.

Go back to 1983, the MXA CR 250R that Lance Morewood was testing had a totally different fork than my brand new stocker. I was pitted right next to those guys at Carlsbad, and my bike and their "stock" bike had a few differences in a few parts.

Even back two years ago at Vital's 250F test at Cahuilla creek, the Yamaha's brought out by The OEM were super crisp and sounded different than the other new YZ 250's.

So do the OEM's put on better parts for the mag guys to test, or tune them differently? maybe, maybe not.

But if you buy a test bike off the showroom floor, like Consumer Reports does with new cars, there is no chance an independent test rider gets a bike that has been attended to or tweaked by a factory technician to make the test bike perform better.
Mr. Info
8/13/2019 2:41pm
Natestir, never said I worked for MXA and I’m not on Glen Helens payroll but thank you for promoting me. It’s good to hear all you guys think so much about MXA and all are closet readers. And I thank you all for thinking a nobody has some influence anywhere in this sport cause i don’t. And the OTMX Club I am President of just gave away 5 pairs of googles and a 6D Atr 2 helmet to its club members at the last race to give back to those who pay to be a member and race. So yeah I’m also selfish but at the end of this year my duties are up and they can get rid of me anytime they want. I might not win every battle but I will always be honest and try and help keep this sport alive and voice my opinion against those I think are being greedy and dishonest hope you all do the same or your sport will die.
aeffertz
8/13/2019 3:05pm
Came for the shootout video, stayed for the meltdown in the comments. What a thread!
TeamGreen
8/13/2019 3:11pm
Paul333 wrote:

Wow!
Insults, ignorance and arrogance. Nice trifecta.

Would you be surprised to know that Michael's used test riders that have been at this "testing" since "Pro Link" was a new term at Honda back in the early '80s?
Even KYB shod Uni-Trak Kawi's...remember those?
How about the "balance" of riders and skill level he often uses?
How about the usually thorough & varying "chassis set-ups" he gets his test riders to try with the help of VERY capable and knowledgeable suspension professionals?
How about the way he keeps things EXTREMELY "as delivered"?

You see, smart guy, some of us have "been there, done that" & know...for a fact...that you're an ass.
An ass that speaks of Cliques as he sucks up to one of the oldest cliques in Moto.
Yup. You're an ass.
PRM31
8/13/2019 3:16pm
Purchasing the bikes and NOT using factory loaners is much closer to all of us average Joes reality. I think it’s great and applaud the effort. Unlike many here, I’m not an MXA hater, in fact I’ve been reading it for nearly 40 years. I still enjoy their content.

What you don’t get from a quick 3-day test is durability. ML even stated that clearly. Perhaps you could do some ride days with all the bikes to get even more average Joe opinions. The riders would have to pay a little and provide comments on the bikes for more YouTube material. You would also build hours quicker leading to a durability video after some number of hours.

Post a reply to: 2020 450 Shootouts

The Latest