2019 yz250f vs 2019 ktm 350 sx-f

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2018 7:14 PM

Hello, I'm all Spanish and I'm going to try to speak as best I can in English if you do not understand me well, I apologize. Thank you
I started in this two years ago with a 2013 yz250f that I sold it a week ago. Now I am going to buy a new one and I have doubts if I buy a 2019 yz250f or a 2019 ktm 350 sx-f ... which one do you recommend? my height is 6.3 which do you think would be more comfortable?

|

10/17/2018 9:09 PM

fiambre wrote:

Hello, I'm all Spanish and I'm going to try to speak as best I can in English if you do not understand me well, I apologize. Thank you
I started in this two years ago with a 2013 yz250f that I sold it a week ago. Now I am going to buy a new one and I have doubts if I buy a 2019 yz250f or a 2019 ktm 350 sx-f ... which one do you recommend? my height is 6.3 which do you think would be more comfortable?

Your English seems fine so far.. Both are good bikes, but it depends on what you are looking for. The 350 motor is faster, but the YZ suspension is better. KTM turns a little better. But if you race in a non-age group class, you can't race the 350 in the 250 class. You can't go wrong with either bike

|

10/18/2018 4:37 AM

fiambre wrote:

mxrose3 wrote:

Your English seems fine so far.. Both are good bikes, but it depends on what you are looking for. The 350 motor is faster, but the YZ suspension is better. KTM turns a little better. But if you race in a non-age group class, you can't race the 350 in the 250 class. You can't go wrong with either bike

mxrose3 thank you very much for your response. The truth is that the issue of suspensions is what makes me hesitate a bit ... but I also look for a bike that is reliable and comfortable for my height.

|

10/18/2018 4:39 AM

fiambre wrote:

mxrose3 wrote:

fiambre wrote:

mxrose3 thank you very much for your response. The truth is that the issue of suspensions is what makes me hesitate a bit ... but I also look for a bike that is reliable and comfortable for my height.

What type of riding/classes will you be doing?

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

10/18/2018 4:46 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

What type of riding/classes will you be doing?

I was thinking about doing the class of 250 but at the moment I will not do any class

|

10/18/2018 5:25 AM

I have had a 2016 YZ250F and now have a 2018 KTM 350SXF.

Both are great bikes. I was hesitant about the AER fork as well. IMO I think its pretty close to as good as the Yamaha SSS. I have all my suspension revalved by the same local company and have had great results with both forks.

I love/loved both bikes. You can't go wrong with either.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

10/18/2018 5:31 AM

best thing you could do is to test ride both bikes (if you have the possibility) in order to make the right decision.

|

10/18/2018 6:17 AM

Hola fiambre! I have a 2017 FC350 and love it, i'll be getting a 2019 350 (KTM or Husky) for the new season.

I'm also 6ft 3 so I think at that height you might be a little heavy for a 250 unless your super skinny.

I fitted a tall seat and windham bend pro taper bars and it feels great. I think a 350 engine is the perfect amount of power for MX.

Mandame un mensaje privado si quieres hablar en español :-)

|

10/18/2018 7:37 AM

Sorry! I don't speak Spanish! (Ron Burgundy Voice)

If you can ride both bikes that will be best. I have a 2017 KTM 350 SXF and I love it. I don't think you can go wrong with the 350 especially since you're a bigger guy.

|

10/18/2018 7:38 AM

Thanks for your answers I will try to test next week a 2018 ktm 350 from a friend and see how I am with this bike. But the Yamaha I will not have the opportunity to try it ? .... I come from a Yamaha YZ250F but it was 2013 and the thing changed a lot since then ... It was not even injection ☹☹

|

10/18/2018 9:21 AM

I had a 2014 YZ250f and now have a 2019 KTM 350SXF. I've mostly ridden Hondas, 250 and 450s. I've always felt comfortable on them. I love the handling of the CRF250 and the motor of the CRF450. I wanted to try a Yamaha because the CRF250 has no bottom and I don't like revving out bikes.

What I liked about the YZ250F was the motor. It had a good hit from the bottom and didn't sign off too quickly. I didn't love the handling or suspension. I'm not sure if I gave it a good enough shot and didn't get the suspension revavled. It also felt very wide up front which may it handle worse in the turns. It also felt longer than the Honda.

After the YZ250F, I had a 2013 CRF450. I love the engine there but it was too heavy and I always wanted to try a 350. A couple of months ago bought a 19 SXF350. My first impressions are the motor is perfect. It feels like both a 250 and 450 at different times. The hit isn't as hard as a 450 but still has enough bottom so you don't have to rev the crap out of it but if you do want to rev it you can. It also doesn't feel as heavy as a 450 but it doesn't feel as light as a 250F, no matter what magazines say. It turns very well, can easily carve the inside line. I'm still sorting out the suspension and do plan to have it revalved. I can't say I like the forks as much as I did even stock CRF forks and I had a 13 450 with air forks which I didn't mind. Overall, it's a great bike. Well made, electric start is great. I worry about keeping it for the long term and reliability compared to a Honda but we'll see. I'd give one a shot and save some money for a revalve. I'm planning on sending it to FC and do the full Performance Package and shock bladder conversion. We'll see if that helps.

|

10/18/2018 11:17 AM

Where in Spain do you live (i live currently in Valencia)? Do you have a Yamaha dealer close to where you live that will have a 2019 demo day so you can try the 250?

If you want to race a MX2/250 class the Yamaha is the obvious answer. If you only want to ride for fun and race open classes the KTM 350 would probably be a good option.

|

10/18/2018 12:39 PM

Motofinne wrote:

Where in Spain do you live (i live currently in Valencia)? Do you have a Yamaha dealer close to where you live that will have a 2019 demo day so you can try the 250?

If you want to race a MX2/250 class the Yamaha is the obvious answer. If you only want to ride for fun and race open classes the KTM 350 would probably be a good option.

I live in malaga ask for the nearest official dealer and it is quite far away? and they do not do tests. I will try to test the KTM 350 of a friend and see what impression I get with the suspensions and the whole in general

|

10/18/2018 12:59 PM

350SXF....

|

10/18/2018 1:22 PM

I've owned both and they are both great bikes. At 6'3 and what weight ? I would say the Yamaha has a great motor and comfortable suspension but suffers on turn in and feels a little wide. The yamaha's are reliable. The ktm turned better and felt light and nimble between the legs but the forks were harsh and couldn't quite get set up correctly. I did have minor issues with the ktm. I would say if your over 185lbs get the 350 and have the suspension worked over to your liking. If under 185lbs, go with the Yamaha. Either bike will be fine.

|

10/18/2018 1:47 PM

peltier626 wrote:

I've owned both and they are both great bikes. At 6'3 and what weight ? I would say the Yamaha has a great motor and comfortable suspension but suffers on turn in and feels a little wide. The yamaha's are reliable. The ktm turned better and felt light and nimble between the legs but the forks were harsh and couldn't quite get set up correctly. I did have minor issues with the ktm. I would say if your over 185lbs get the 350 and have the suspension worked over to your liking. If under 185lbs, go with the Yamaha. Either bike will be fine.

Very sound advice. I went from a '15 yz250f to a '17 350sxf and completely agree with this...yz250f's strengths were its suspension and motor, but suffered from less than ideal handling.

The 350 handles/feels much better, and has an awesome motor (once you get used to it), but the suspension really let it down. I couldn't get along with the forks at all, and ending up converting them (and the shock) to KYB. Once I got it dialed in it became, simply put, the perfect bike. Reliability wise, both brands have been completely problem free, for me.

However, since you've only been riding for 2 years, I do think you'll be better off on a 250F.

|

10/18/2018 1:58 PM

I just have to say this when i see people using the 14-18 YZF as comparison.

I rode the 17 YZF 450 and hated the ergos and chassi. Then i rode the 18 YZF 450 and loved it. Same goes for the 19 YZF 250. So using anecdotes of the old gen Yamaha will probably only be relevant in the engine department.

|

10/18/2018 2:03 PM

peltier626 wrote:

I am thin but by my height of 6.3 or 6.4 weight 195 or 196

|

10/21/2018 12:58 PM

I just traded my 2016 yz250f in against a new 2019 Husqvarna FC 350 (still in the shop).

I had exactly the same question as you, go for the 2019 YZ250F or step it up to the 350. I ended up travelling to England from Ireland to take part in a KTM motocross experience day (total cost €500 including plane tickets). I tried the 250SXF and the 350SXF back to back and I loved the 350! The handling is great and I actually found the suspension pretty nice too. I am 210lbs with gear on and that's another thing which sealed the deal for me going for the bigger engine. I can ride the 250 wide open but not so much the 350 yet. I'm hoping my skill level will develop as I get more comfortable on the 350.

At your size and weight, depending on your skill level, I think you'll be more competitive on the 350 in the open/450 class. I plan on racing the 450 class on the 350. I'm a novice "C" rider. I am hoping that I'll be able to out pace the 450 riders as they fatigue!!

|

10/21/2018 3:10 PM

Maximusbiggus wrote:

I just traded my 2016 yz250f in against a new 2019 Husqvarna FC 350 (still in the shop).

I had exactly the same question as you, go for the 2019 YZ250F or step it up to the 350. I ended up travelling to England from Ireland to take part in a KTM motocross experience day (total cost €500 including plane tickets). I tried the 250SXF and the 350SXF back to back and I loved the 350! The handling is great and I actually found the suspension pretty nice too. I am 210lbs with gear on and that's another thing which sealed the deal for me going for the bigger engine. I can ride the 250 wide open but not so much the 350 yet. I'm hoping my skill level will develop as I get more comfortable on the 350.

At your size and weight, depending on your skill level, I think you'll be more competitive on the 350 in the open/450 class. I plan on racing the 450 class on the 350. I'm a novice "C" rider. I am hoping that I'll be able to out pace the 450 riders as they fatigue!!

Tomorrow I will try a 2018 ktm 350 ...

|

10/22/2018 12:53 PM

So how did it go?

|

10/22/2018 1:05 PM

Those Huskys are the most rewarding at the tip top of the rpm range. but Yamahas are top end monsters as well.al gonna be preference. But I bet you go with the 350....

|

GP740
Since 1987

10/22/2018 1:22 PM

I rode a '19 YZ250F and an 18 FC350 back to back a few weekends ago in soft, fairly deep dirt on a moto track. Both felt good, but I almost feel like the 250 had more off the bottom than the 350, but the 350 has a really strong "hit" or "pull" in the midrange - almost like a 2 stroke. The suspension on the Yamaha might have felt better, but the Husky wasn't terrible by any means. The Yamaha is a bit fat though, no matter what anyone says. It's nice to grip the bikes sometimes, but in corners when I lift my leg up really high it would sometimes get hung up a bit on the shroud.

I did ride a new YZ450f as well that day and it was awesome too.

I would say all of them are great bikes, it would just depend on your riding style, where you ride and what you ride on most, your riding level, and how much money you want to put into a bike. You can't really ride the 250f or the 350f easy, you have to be on the gas with them pretty hard and most of the time (moto), which means that you will be putting more wear on parts. I have heard the Yamaha should be better reliability wise and maintenance over the long term than a KTM/Husky, but I don't have enough evidence myself to back that up. If I had deep pockets I would probably run a 250f and put money into it for some performance and wear items and maintenance, but someone else can probably advise on that.

If you have any specific questions about how the bikes rode feel free to hit me back! Also just to let you know I am 5'11 and 160 lbs right now and race "B" or intermediate. Hope this helped.

|

10/22/2018 3:43 PM

Maximusbiggus wrote:

So how did it go?

Today I was with a 2018 ktm 350 and the sensations were good ... I liked the response of the engine, I liked the way of driving and the posture, I also liked the brakes. One thing that did not quite convince me was the front suspension ... I found it hard and dry. My arms became hard as stones ??? hands and arms tired and sore very soon. All these comparisons I am doing with my old 2013 yamaha yz250f that the suspensions had prepared front and rear.

|

10/22/2018 6:01 PM

TheLsho wrote:

I rode a '19 YZ250F and an 18 FC350 back to back a few weekends ago in soft, fairly deep dirt on a moto track. Both felt good, but I almost feel like the 250 had more off the bottom than the 350, but the 350 has a really strong "hit" or "pull" in the midrange - almost like a 2 stroke. The suspension on the Yamaha might have felt better, but the Husky wasn't terrible by any means. The Yamaha is a bit fat though, no matter what anyone says. It's nice to grip the bikes sometimes, but in corners when I lift my leg up really high it would sometimes get hung up a bit on the shroud.

I would say all of them are great bikes, it would just depend on your riding style, where you ride and what you ride on most, your riding level, and how much money you want to put into a bike. You can't really ride the 250f or the 350f easy, you have to be on the gas with them pretty hard and most of the time (moto), which means that you will be putting more wear on parts. I have heard the Yamaha should be better reliability wise and maintenance over the long term than a KTM/Husky, but I don't have enough evidence myself to back that up. If I had deep pockets I would probably run a 250f and put money into it for some performance and wear items and maintenance, but someone else can probably advise on that.

If you have any specific questions about how the bikes rode feel free to hit me back! Also just to let you know I am 5'11 and 160 lbs right now and race "B" or intermediate. Hope this helped.

Thanks for your insights. I am picking up the 2019 yz250f and I am the same size as you. ?

|

10/22/2018 6:22 PM

TheLsho wrote:

swtwtwtw wrote:

Thanks for your insights. I am picking up the 2019 yz250f and I am the same size as you. ?

To add to that, reliability wise plenty of 350s out therr with 1 or 2 or even 300 hours on all original engine internals. I myself have put 70 trouble free hours on them not even a valve adjustment.

Stock for stock a 350 makes more power everywhere over a 250f, the bottom end feeling weaker has to do with the much taller gearing a 350 has. 2nd gear on a 350 is more like 3rd on a 250f easily. So you could gear the 350 down dramatically and have massive gains in low end pulling.

54hp on the 350 vs 44 at best on a 250f.

Not trying to be a 350 infomercial just saying what i know

|

12/19/2018 10:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2018 10:18 PM

peltier626 wrote:

Guys, I know that you are trying to help him but you are all comparing the old Yamaha. Turning wide etc... his question is about the 2019 yam. That's true that 2014 was already a big change from 2013, but the 2019 yam won all the shootout and is much better than the old models. Remember that you now have the app to change your mapping, electric start and the bike turn better now. So is the ktm 350f 2019 is better than the yz250f 2019? That is the question. But my guess is depending on where the guy ride, and some are more comfortable on a bike than another. So my advice. Yamaha are bullet proof, it won't be easy to brake it. ktm 350 will give you more power, better braking, is a good bike but I heard difficult to dial in the suspension. Go with your budget and as the guys said, both are grate.

|