2019 Yamaha YZ85

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2018 8:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2018 8:23 AM

$4,599

Photo Photo
Photo
Photo

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/6/2018 8:19 AM

|

6/6/2018 8:30 AM

Main page. You know full well a lot of guys on here don't check that out lol.

I wonder why they didn't go the YZ65 route with something all new for the 85? I'm no expert but I think they would sell a lot more had it been completely new.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/6/2018 8:31 AM

Is that my 1994 yz with blue rims?!

|

6/6/2018 8:35 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Main page. You know full well a lot of guys on here don't check that out lol.

I wonder why they didn't go the YZ65 route with something all new for the 85? I'm no expert but I think they would sell a lot more had it been completely new.

Agree was expecting a bigger version of the 65, especially with the tank shroud design along with a more compact engine. It more or less looks like a warmed over version of the old bike, not that i'm buying one...

|

6/6/2018 8:36 AM

I was a little disappointed to see the new YZ85 didn’t have any of the styling cues with the tank and shrouds in both sides. Looks like allot of the bike is unchanged.

Is the MSRP the same as the YZ65?

|

6/6/2018 8:38 AM

Yea, I was kinda let down on "New YZ85" .... it sounds like a mix&match of new and old parts, a disjointed "New" bike.

Im really surprised they didnt mimic the YZ65 look more bec Im sure the body parts dimension-wise are very close except for the fenders being smaller but the tank and shroud setup would be similar in size id assume

|

6/6/2018 9:03 AM

jbrown15 wrote:

I was a little disappointed to see the new YZ85 didn’t have any of the styling cues with the tank and shrouds in both sides. Looks like allot of the bike is unchanged.

Is the MSRP the same as the YZ65?

Exact same price as the YZ65. I had an '02 YZ85 and the 2019 practically still looks the same as what I had.

I don't have kids and I'm obviously not in the market for an 85 but I was expecting it to look like the YZ65. It's great that they upgraded it because it was long overdue but so was the styling of it.

That said at least they're still investing and producing 2 strokes.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/6/2018 9:07 AM

jbrown15 wrote:

I was a little disappointed to see the new YZ85 didn’t have any of the styling cues with the tank and shrouds in both sides. Looks like allot of the bike is unchanged.

Is the MSRP the same as the YZ65?

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Exact same price as the YZ65. I had an '02 YZ85 and the 2019 practically still looks the same as what I had.

I don't have kids and I'm obviously not in the market for an 85 but I was expecting it to look like the YZ65. It's great that they upgraded it because it was long overdue but so was the styling of it.

That said at least they're still investing and producing 2 strokes.

I had an 02 also. I really expected to see shrouds on both side of the bike for 19. That was a let down. I've still got 8-9 years before my son gets on an 85 so hopefully they'll do something before then

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

6/6/2018 3:02 PM

Last week my son rode his buddy’s 2018 Husky TC85, and I was thinking crap this is gonna cost me some money. But after riding it he said he preferred the feel and suspension of his YZ85. It kind of looks like I can take the PC pipe and silencer from his current bike and it on this bike which would be kind of nice.

He really didn’t like the feel of the clutch and how wide the bike felt compared to his Yammy.

|

6/6/2018 4:46 PM

jbrown15 wrote:

Last week my son rode his buddy’s 2018 Husky TC85, and I was thinking crap this is gonna cost me some money. But after riding it he said he preferred the feel and suspension of his YZ85. It kind of looks like I can take the PC pipe and silencer from his current bike and it on this bike which would be kind of nice.

He really didn’t like the feel of the clutch and how wide the bike felt compared to his Yammy.

Huh, the YZ is wider than the TC85 from what I have seen? I mean I would love it if my kid like the YZ as they are great bikes and inexpensive but doesn't hold up performance wise against the older ktm/husky much less the '18 from our experience....

I waited as long as I could to buy an '18 TC85 hoping Yamaha would announce the new YZ85. Finally picked up last week and from the Husky's performance plus what I am seeing from Yamaha I am fine with my decision. I will wai until someone else buys one and have hime test ride it. if he likes it a bunch we will switch then. be curious how they will do the big wheel kit? Advantage of the TC/SX is everything same but wheels.....Makes the price difference not so much if you have to buy a kit for the Yamaha like before.

|

6/6/2018 5:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2018 5:55 PM

jbrown15 wrote:

Last week my son rode his buddy’s 2018 Husky TC85, and I was thinking crap this is gonna cost me some money. But after riding it he said he preferred the feel and suspension of his YZ85. It kind of looks like I can take the PC pipe and silencer from his current bike and it on this bike which would be kind of nice.

He really didn’t like the feel of the clutch and how wide the bike felt compared to his Yammy.

Tracktor wrote:

Huh, the YZ is wider than the TC85 from what I have seen? I mean I would love it if my kid like the YZ as they are great bikes and inexpensive but doesn't hold up performance wise against the older ktm/husky much less the '18 from our experience....

I waited as long as I could to buy an '18 TC85 hoping Yamaha would announce the new YZ85. Finally picked up last week and from the Husky's performance plus what I am seeing from Yamaha I am fine with my decision. I will wai until someone else buys one and have hime test ride it. if he likes it a bunch we will switch then. be curious how they will do the big wheel kit? Advantage of the TC/SX is everything same but wheels.....Makes the price difference not so much if you have to buy a kit for the Yamaha like before.

I don’t believe the TC85 is narrower in the tank compared to the YZ85. And suspension wise the Yamaha’s are better than the WP air stuff.

I’m a little disappointed to find out in Canada the new 85 costs $500 more than the 65 even though in the US they have the same MSRP.

|

6/6/2018 6:05 PM

I still might have to consider the Husky though, my son is tall. Even though he just turned 10 he starts flat footed on his 85. I was hoping Yamaha would follow suite with KTM/Husky and run the longer swingarm that works with the standard and big wheels for the 85’s.

|

6/6/2018 6:38 PM

Have any of your guys kids noticed a big difference with the KTM/Husky and the no link compared to the other 85s that have a linkage?

|

6/6/2018 6:43 PM

Can’t believe they priced it the same as the 65. Just bought a new yz65 a couple weeks ago. Don’t know how I feel about the price now.

|

6/6/2018 6:52 PM

bf884 wrote:

Can’t believe they priced it the same as the 65. Just bought a new yz65 a couple weeks ago. Don’t know how I feel about the price now.

Don't feel bad, don't compare it to an "updated" old 85. The R&D that went into producing that new 65 is what you are paying for and it looks to be worth it. A more fair comparison is to the white and orange 65's.

|

6/6/2018 7:00 PM

That literally looks like I can take any part from my 1993 yz80 and bolt it on to it.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

6/6/2018 7:19 PM

Marty1028 wrote:

That literally looks like I can take any part from my 1993 yz80 and bolt it on to it.

That's what I was thinking and also hoping, both of my sons YZ85's have quite a few parts I'd like to keep if they'd work with the new bike. Neken triple clamps, Pro Circuit pipe & silencer, after market shifter and rear brake pedal, Boyesen ignition cover and Guts racing seat covers.

|

6/7/2018 5:24 AM

bf884 wrote:

Can’t believe they priced it the same as the 65. Just bought a new yz65 a couple weeks ago. Don’t know how I feel about the price now.

MotoChris wrote:

Don't feel bad, don't compare it to an "updated" old 85. The R&D that went into producing that new 65 is what you are paying for and it looks to be worth it. A more fair comparison is to the white and orange 65's.

Think your right on that. I saved atleast 500 compared to the orange and white bikes.

|

6/7/2018 5:47 AM

jbrown15 wrote:

Last week my son rode his buddy’s 2018 Husky TC85, and I was thinking crap this is gonna cost me some money. But after riding it he said he preferred the feel and suspension of his YZ85. It kind of looks like I can take the PC pipe and silencer from his current bike and it on this bike which would be kind of nice.

He really didn’t like the feel of the clutch and how wide the bike felt compared to his Yammy.

Tracktor wrote:

Huh, the YZ is wider than the TC85 from what I have seen? I mean I would love it if my kid like the YZ as they are great bikes and inexpensive but doesn't hold up performance wise against the older ktm/husky much less the '18 from our experience....

I waited as long as I could to buy an '18 TC85 hoping Yamaha would announce the new YZ85. Finally picked up last week and from the Husky's performance plus what I am seeing from Yamaha I am fine with my decision. I will wai until someone else buys one and have hime test ride it. if he likes it a bunch we will switch then. be curious how they will do the big wheel kit? Advantage of the TC/SX is everything same but wheels.....Makes the price difference not so much if you have to buy a kit for the Yamaha like before.

Exactly it's going to be awhile before Yamaha can catch back up the KTM you just can't take 15 years of bold new graphics and fix everything in one year and be competitive but at least they're starting to do something

|

6/7/2018 10:01 AM

jbrown15 wrote:

I don’t believe the TC85 is narrower in the tank compared to the YZ85. And suspension wise the Yamaha’s are better than the WP air stuff.

I’m a little disappointed to find out in Canada the new 85 costs $500 more than the 65 even though in the US they have the same MSRP.

I will take a look tonight at races. It's more the overall feel that seemed narrower to my boys. My youngest loves the suspension on his '18 TC85 just bone stock. I am not a fan of air forks at all be these seem to work pretty well. He has been able to skim our whoops pretty well and they are a bigger version of Washougal's whoop section. I don't see any downside of not having a linkage and it's one less thing to maintain....

When my older boy was just getting off superminis he rode a basically stock KTM 85 and thought it compared pretty well to his pretty fast YZ105. I do like the YZ's forks we ran the internals when we tried the KX85 for my younger boy since the KX forks are archaic. He never gelled with the KX so we went to the KTM platform and that looks like where we will stay until big bikes......

|

6/7/2018 12:16 PM

This New yz was something they needed to do 7-8 years ago...with another new one now.
Unless more plans to update are in the pipeline - it wont get them any market share imho.

Ktm ans husky are crushing the 65 and 85 market...for good reason.

|

6/7/2018 2:36 PM

BNP?

|

6/7/2018 4:29 PM

Tracktor wrote:

I will take a look tonight at races. It's more the overall feel that seemed narrower to my boys. My youngest loves the suspension on his '18 TC85 just bone stock. I am not a fan of air forks at all be these seem to work pretty well. He has been able to skim our whoops pretty well and they are a bigger version of Washougal's whoop section. I don't see any downside of not having a linkage and it's one less thing to maintain....

When my older boy was just getting off superminis he rode a basically stock KTM 85 and thought it compared pretty well to his pretty fast YZ105. I do like the YZ's forks we ran the internals when we tried the KX85 for my younger boy since the KX forks are archaic. He never gelled with the KX so we went to the KTM platform and that looks like where we will stay until big bikes......

I’m interested in your feedback, my son wanted a TC85 and was pretty pumped to ride his friends. Like I said after riding it he wasnt that excited about it. Said it felt wider in the tank, it’s definitely wider in back by the air box, didn’t like the feel of the clutch and the suspension.

I ride Husky’s and have a hook up on them so I was kinding of thinking about getting him one until he rode it. I definitely think the YZ85 has better suspension. Another one of his buddy’s has a Husky with aftermarket suspension, their bike was broken down so we let him race our spare YZ85. After his dad was asking me what was done to the suspension because his son was going on about how much he loved it compared to his Husky. He was shocked when I told him that bike had bone stock suspension.

His race bike has a little motor work so it’s not really giving up much compared to a stock TC85 in the power department. I know it’s not really fair to compare stock vs mod motor, but he doesn’t have a ton of stuff done to it. The Husky definitely has more bottom end but an 85 isn’t meant to be ridden down low, they need to be screaming. Like I said I have mixed emotions on this new YZ85, trying to decide if I should switch him to a Husky or stay on the YZ85’s.

|

6/7/2018 7:42 PM

I think it looks great. The power valve is nice addition

|

6/12/2018 12:21 PM

Putting a deposit on one today after work!

|

6/12/2018 12:47 PM

oceantrav wrote:

Putting a deposit on one today after work!

Don't forget to post pics whenever you pick it up.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/12/2018 3:44 PM

Do the 65 and 85 share a basic bottom end?

|

6/12/2018 8:52 PM

jbrown15 wrote:

I still might have to consider the Husky though, my son is tall. Even though he just turned 10 he starts flat footed on his 85. I was hoping Yamaha would follow suite with KTM/Husky and run the longer swingarm that works with the standard and big wheels for the 85’s.

If you’re looking for a larger mini... you may want to give the TM a good look. It has more room and is the biggest of all the 85s. Also, it’s the most powerful 85 by far.

|

#performanceedgeracing @tmracingusa @ride.prl @powerbandracing @vertexpistons @LS2helmetsus @hotrodsproducts @pivotworks @fmf73 @kendatire @mikametals @dt1filtersusa @sidimotousa @motoseat @dubyausa @xbrandgoggles @thormxofficial @g2ergonomics @tamer_holeshot_hookup @riskracingmoto @acerbisusa @nihiloconcepts @matrixconcepts @suzukiyamahaofdaltonga @mobiusbraces @sandboxkings @terry_varnermotorsports

6/12/2018 9:43 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Do the 65 and 85 share a basic bottom end?

Exactly what I'm wondering. Either an overbuilt 65 bottom end , or an underbuilt 85 bottom end.

|