2019 YZ250F, 2.10 hours - Broken subframe mount tab

Related:
Create New Tag

6/12/2019 7:31 PM

Bought brand new @ Lexington Motorsports (www.lexingtonmotorsports.com) - Lexington Ky. - - Have 2.10 hours on hour meter. 3 practice days and 1 race. Found this today. Called selling dealer, states it’s out of 30 day warranty but they would call Yamaha. Called Yamaha, they stated selling dealer never called in a warranty claim to factory... but same story 30+ days old and out of warranty. BULLSHIT. Brand new bike, paid MSRP, have rode Yamaha for 10+ years, might be enough to make me ride red next year.

Fuck you Lexington Motorsports and seriously Yamaha?

|

6/12/2019 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 7:33 PM

Edit, Sorry photo below

|

6/12/2019 7:33 PM


|

6/12/2019 7:39 PM

99% of the story is missing,,,

You just found that piece broke off? Or did it break while tightening up the bolt?

Maybe it’s just the picture, but the thread look a little buggered up.

|

6/12/2019 7:42 PM

That's bullshit. Ive seen yamaha cover stuff like this before. Keep calling and trying. I've seen somone put a A.G and BBB complaint in and that worked with a issue with a Honda. Shit KTM covered a guys frame 6 months later with 20 hours

Hey maybe somone from yamaha is on here and can help out.

|

6/12/2019 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 7:46 PM

Brad460 wrote:

99% of the story is missing,,,

You just found that piece broke off? Or did it break while tightening up the bolt?

Maybe it’s just the picture, but the thread look a little buggered up.

Was literally cleaning it and noticed half of the tab missing, then took it apart. Not sure what part of the story is missing or why I would be shady on a 19 with 2 hours. This isn’t my first rodeo.

Edit: I have have never removed subframe. Had no reason to yet.

|

6/12/2019 7:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 8:25 PM

I am guessing the dealership doesn't have a TIG welder to fix that. I would say that would cost a $100 or less to repair. Not a big deal but they could give you a parts credit to compensate. Regardless no sense making a huge deal out of it, you still have an awesome new bike.

|

6/12/2019 8:14 PM

I had a yamaha ingest sand on its first ride because dealer didnt seat the filter properly and it ruined the engine. No help from dealer or yamaha because by the time i realized there was an issue was after 30 days. Thats what happens when you work full time dont get to ride weekly sometimes. Fuck yamaha indeed.

|

6/12/2019 8:16 PM

I’m guessing subframe bolt was loose and caused the break. It’s your job to make sure everything is tight, especially during break in. Things tend to loosen up. Things happen... it’s not the end of the world. Have it welded up and threads tapped and it will be fine.

|

6/12/2019 8:35 PM

BAD10 wrote:

I’m guessing subframe bolt was loose and caused the break. It’s your job to make sure everything is tight, especially during break in. Things tend to loosen up. Things happen... it’s not the end of the world. Have it welded up and threads tapped and it will be fine.

That’s not true, it’s up to the manufacturers to assemble to torque specified. Pretty simple.

|

6/12/2019 8:47 PM

Side question, How is the launch control and was the filter lubed?

|

6/12/2019 8:54 PM

Lucifa. wrote:

Side question, How is the launch control and was the filter lubed?

Muffler packing intact?

|

6/12/2019 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/12/2019 9:07 PM

Exactly, that's the difference right there. It's a much more important issue and he just wants them to fix it. No lemon talk because he's not trying to get out from under some 27% over nine years loan. I hope the people that "would be pissed" in the other thread can see the difference now.

|

6/12/2019 9:07 PM

That's a pretty clean break which would indicate to me a single time overload caused that failure. Since the bike is so new and I'm assuming hasn't had any abnormal crashes, I'd be willing to bet there may have been some sort of issue with the casting in that area. The way manufacturers attach subframes through a single shear bolt joint is a crime against humanity as it is, so any sort of casting flaw in this area compounded with the stress raisers from the threads is just a time bomb waiting to blow. I'd really push the issue, unless you had a serious crash that's 100% a manufacturing defect.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



6/12/2019 9:18 PM

Happened on my friends 18 450. Bike had around 20 hours when he noticed.

|

6/13/2019 3:16 AM

BAD10 wrote:

I’m guessing subframe bolt was loose and caused the break. It’s your job to make sure everything is tight, especially during break in. Things tend to loosen up. Things happen... it’s not the end of the world. Have it welded up and threads tapped and it will be fine.

seth505 wrote:

That’s not true, it’s up to the manufacturers to assemble to torque specified. Pretty simple.

Right, but sometimes things come loose, particularly on a new bike. That's why you re-torque everything.

Either way, this would not stop me from buying Yamahas. Shit happens.

You should still try to get Yamaha to pay for it, though! It is similar to iPhones. Apple has a threshold for quality, so 1 in every 10,000 parts break. They pay to fix it, as this is cheaper than ensuring its 1 in every 100,000. Yamaha should do the same.

|

6/13/2019 5:24 AM

Its just the sub-frame. It could always be worst.

|

6/13/2019 6:11 AM

Talisker wrote:

Its just the sub-frame. It could always be worst.

No, the break is on the actual frame where the subframe bolts to.

|

6/13/2019 6:50 AM

LMS doesnt have a great rep. I always went to Central KY motorsports and talked with brad. Hes a good dude.

|

6/13/2019 7:33 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I had a yamaha ingest sand on its first ride because dealer didnt seat the filter properly and it ruined the engine. No help from dealer or yamaha because by the time i realized there was an issue was after 30 days. Thats what happens when you work full time dont get to ride weekly sometimes. Fuck yamaha indeed.

Filters are like gas. they need checked before each ride. Sorry you did not check it.

|

6/13/2019 7:42 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I had a yamaha ingest sand on its first ride because dealer didnt seat the filter properly and it ruined the engine. No help from dealer or yamaha because by the time i realized there was an issue was after 30 days. Thats what happens when you work full time dont get to ride weekly sometimes. Fuck yamaha indeed.

zippytech wrote:

Filters are like gas. they need checked before each ride. Sorry you did not check it.

I pulled the seat and looked at and touched the filter. It was oiled evenly and tight. No reason to pull it off, but knowing now yes of course it wasnt seated perfectly. Airbox designs really are garbage tho. Ktm has it figured out where it snaps into place and sits into a recess. As opposed to jap designs where it presses against the surface and hope it seals...

|

6/13/2019 7:45 AM

I know some guys that would put a layer of grease around the seal to help prevent sucking dirt

|

6/13/2019 8:16 AM

zippytech wrote:

I know some guys that would put a layer of grease around the seal to help prevent sucking dirt

I do that now. Pretty ridiculously attempt at a bandaid to a pretty shitty design. But whatever.

|

6/13/2019 8:22 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I do that now. Pretty ridiculously attempt at a bandaid to a pretty shitty design. But whatever.

It's only been this way forever. It's proper maintenance. Haven't had a bike suck dirt in my 30 years.

|

6/13/2019 8:48 AM

zippytech wrote:

I know some guys that would put a layer of grease around the seal to help prevent sucking dirt

yz133rider wrote:

I do that now. Pretty ridiculously attempt at a bandaid to a pretty shitty design. But whatever.

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

It's only been this way forever. It's proper maintenance. Haven't had a bike suck dirt in my 30 years.

Check out ktms airbox set up and tell me its not superior.

|

6/13/2019 8:48 AM

Back to the broken tab. In my experience after buying 6 + new bikes all from different dealers over the years. You might as well just go find some one to fix it. It's not worth the stupid response they are going to give you.

Sad but in my case(s) The dealers did not know who i was a week later.

|

6/13/2019 9:00 AM

Go green. Their customer service & warranty is top notch. They just rebuilt my 18 kx250f for excessive vibration I was having. Mine has 3 hours on it.

|

6/13/2019 9:09 AM

WW444 wrote:

Go green. Their customer service & warranty is top notch. They just rebuilt my 18 kx250f for excessive vibration I was having. Mine has 3 hours on it.

I had a new zx6 that I was racing, I needed parts and it was taking over a week or so to get parts. So I call kawi and they told me I should get another bike so I would have parts on hand.

|

6/13/2019 9:18 AM

WW444 wrote:

Go green. Their customer service & warranty is top notch. They just rebuilt my 18 kx250f for excessive vibration I was having. Mine has 3 hours on it.

zippytech wrote:

I had a new zx6 that I was racing, I needed parts and it was taking over a week or so to get parts. So I call kawi and they told me I should get another bike so I would have parts on hand.

A week is about the normal to receive parts through a dealer. It took my dealer about a week or so to get all my parts from Kawi for my engine rebuild.

|

6/13/2019 9:26 AM

I order Honda parts all the time and I never wait that long, not even close.. I asked them straight up what dealer in there network had the most parts in stock and was told to buy a backup bike.

|