2019 YZ 450F reviews

Lbarton2287
Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 3:48pm
Hello! Wanted to go ahead and start a thread for 2019 YZ 450F reviews. Saw there were Honda and Kawis so felt the Yamaha was deserved.

Things I noticed about mine
- suspension is money
- fits my 6’3 210 frame well
- having owned previous Yamaha 450s this is best turning and lightest
- great powerband

Problems
- after I pressure wash the bike and let it sit a few minutes, the battery keeps clicking and turning the fuel pump on every two minutes. It drains battery and I’m sure it’s causing ware on fuel pump system. Tried unplugging battery, left running for 5 mins after washing, jump start, etc... can’t get it too stop. Bike has 1.5 hours on it. Curious if anyone else has had any issues? Calling dealer on Tuesday
|
mxer613
2/24/2019 8:18pm
Hello! Wanted to go ahead and start a thread for 2019 YZ 450F reviews. Saw there were Honda and Kawis so felt the Yamaha was deserved...
Hello! Wanted to go ahead and start a thread for 2019 YZ 450F reviews. Saw there were Honda and Kawis so felt the Yamaha was deserved.

- suspension is money
- great powerband

Problems
- after I pressure wash the bike and let it sit a few minutes, the battery keeps clicking and turning the fuel pump on every two minutes. It drains battery and I’m sure it’s causing ware on fuel pump system. Tried unplugging battery, left running for 5 mins after washing, jump start, etc... can’t get it too stop. Bike has 1.5 hours on it. Curious if anyone else has had any issues? Calling dealer on Tuesday
Hold the kill button for a second or two, my 18 would do that, my 19 hasn’t so far. Great bike choice! I’m running the TP 2 map, it’s perfect for mx. My 2018 was the first Yamaha I’ve ever owned or ridden, loved it, bought a 19. Prior to that was a 2016.5 Ktm factory edition, a 2015 husqvarna 450, 2013 kx450, 2009 rmz450, 2007 rmz450, 2005 CRF450 and a 2004 crf450. Blucru is my favorite so far!
Lbarton2287
2/24/2019 8:48pm
Hello! Wanted to go ahead and start a thread for 2019 YZ 450F reviews. Saw there were Honda and Kawis so felt the Yamaha was deserved...

- suspension is money
- great powerband

Problems
mxer613 wrote:
Hold the kill button for a second or two, my 18 would do that, my 19 hasn’t so far. Great bike choice! I’m running the TP...
Hold the kill button for a second or two, my 18 would do that, my 19 hasn’t so far. Great bike choice! I’m running the TP 2 map, it’s perfect for mx. My 2018 was the first Yamaha I’ve ever owned or ridden, loved it, bought a 19. Prior to that was a 2016.5 Ktm factory edition, a 2015 husqvarna 450, 2013 kx450, 2009 rmz450, 2007 rmz450, 2005 CRF450 and a 2004 crf450. Blucru is my favorite so far!
Thanks for your response, I did try holding the kill switch for about 4 seconds, the traction control light came one then it started back on its cycle again. Wonder if holding it just for two seconds makes the difference? Did you have to hit the kill switch every time after you washed it? Agreed! Gona try the TP 2 map as I’ve heard great things
mxer613
2/24/2019 9:25pm

- suspension is money
- great powerband

Problems
mxer613 wrote:
Hold the kill button for a second or two, my 18 would do that, my 19 hasn’t so far. Great bike choice! I’m running the TP...
Thanks for your response, I did try holding the kill switch for about 4 seconds, the traction control light came one then it started back on...
Thanks for your response, I did try holding the kill switch for about 4 seconds, the traction control light came one then it started back on its cycle again. Wonder if holding it just for two seconds makes the difference? Did you have to hit the kill switch every time after you washed it? Agreed! Gona try the TP 2 map as I’ve heard great things
When you hold it down, you should hear a click sound.
2/24/2019 9:30pm
Ok. I upgraded from a 2010 YZ 450 to the 2019. One ride on it. The ECU is still in box from the dealer yet. I am kind of dumb to this whole programming and there is not even a good video on you tube to explain.

So once I hook the black box up I program it from my phone app. So do guys then leave the black box plugged in all the time, or take it ba k out? Why is it not in there from the dealer?

I use a programmer on my Harley with an app on my phone, but I only plug it in when I want to hanger something or do a diagnostic on something.

Help would be appreciated.

The Shop

mxer613
2/24/2019 9:44pm
Ok. I upgraded from a 2010 YZ 450 to the 2019. One ride on it. The ECU is still in box from the dealer yet. I...
Ok. I upgraded from a 2010 YZ 450 to the 2019. One ride on it. The ECU is still in box from the dealer yet. I am kind of dumb to this whole programming and there is not even a good video on you tube to explain.

So once I hook the black box up I program it from my phone app. So do guys then leave the black box plugged in all the time, or take it ba k out? Why is it not in there from the dealer?

I use a programmer on my Harley with an app on my phone, but I only plug it in when I want to hanger something or do a diagnostic on something.

Help would be appreciated.
The black box, should always stay plugged in, mine was installed from the dealer.
Lynch
2/24/2019 10:16pm
About the clicking, I had the same problem on my old KTM 450 and it was one of the relays. Either starter relay or fuel pump relay.
Jack_Wagon
2/24/2019 11:43pm
Hopefully they fixed the transmission on the 19. Have 2 18s. One is on its second transmission the other is on the 4th.
Goon126
2/25/2019 12:33am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Hopefully they fixed the transmission on the 19. Have 2 18s. One is on its second transmission the other is on the 4th.
How many hours? Whats happening?
2/25/2019 1:22am
I love mine so far. The App is super cool, The suspension is unreal and the biggest thing I noticed is how level and stable the bike stays while braking/acceleration, where the previous gen always felt light in the front or the rear but never settled together. The last gen was a little better for taller riders I'm only 6'1" and I'm a bit cramped on the 19 but it's not terrible. With knee braces it's hard to bend my legs far enough to keep my feet in the proper position on the pegs so I think I'm going to try the tall seat to help with that and have more area to grip with.

Overall, Best bike I've ever ridden.
2/25/2019 2:22am
I have a 18 yz450 and luckily haven't run into that issue with the fuel pump yet. I spent some time working at my local Yamaha dealer when the 19's rolled in and had a couple different customers bring their bikes back with the issue. If you can't figure out at DIY solution give a call over to the service department at the dealer you got the bike from and they should be able to open a claim with Yamaha and get you a new relay and pump shipped and installed all on Yamaha's dollar. With my experience the parts were backordered for a few months but not sure about now. Best of luck!
Lbarton2287
2/25/2019 6:27am
Thanks for the responses, contacting dealer tomorrow when service department opens and taking it from there. Will keep everyone updated. Other than that lovin’ the bike!
Jack_Wagon
2/25/2019 3:37pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Goon126 wrote:
10-15 hours. 2nd gear starts slipping. This is our experience with them. I've heard of a few of them having problems, but not to the extent we have.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
2/25/2019 3:49pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Goon126 wrote:
Jack_Wagon wrote:
10-15 hours. 2nd gear starts slipping. This is our experience with them. I've heard of a few of them having problems, but not to the extent...
10-15 hours. 2nd gear starts slipping. This is our experience with them. I've heard of a few of them having problems, but not to the extent we have.
Had the same issues with my 18 man. 3rd gear started slipping at 6 hours. Ended up putting a whole new motor in it only to go through two starter clutches and a cylinder within the next 20 hours. Had some valve issues too that had to be shimmed within that time frame. I’ve owned 9 Yamaha’s in my life (all bought new) and this was the worst bike I’ve ever had. Needless to say I will not be back on Blue again. I never even got to play with that tuning APP cause I was scared to death it would mess something up.

Hopefully things work out for you. I’ve read on here people having 50+ hours and no issues yet. A lot of people seem to like them. I preferred the 14-17 models more myself being 6’0”.
DirtMAFIA
2/25/2019 4:43pm
haven't had an issue with my bruce jenner yet. knock on wood and I have 54 hours on my 18
BAD10
2/25/2019 4:55pm
I love mine so far. The App is super cool, The suspension is unreal and the biggest thing I noticed is how level and stable the...
I love mine so far. The App is super cool, The suspension is unreal and the biggest thing I noticed is how level and stable the bike stays while braking/acceleration, where the previous gen always felt light in the front or the rear but never settled together. The last gen was a little better for taller riders I'm only 6'1" and I'm a bit cramped on the 19 but it's not terrible. With knee braces it's hard to bend my legs far enough to keep my feet in the proper position on the pegs so I think I'm going to try the tall seat to help with that and have more area to grip with.

Coming off my 14 I am finding the 19 to be more cramped as well. Haven't tried the taller seat yet......
Motofinne
2/25/2019 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2019 10:27pm
I love mine so far. The App is super cool, The suspension is unreal and the biggest thing I noticed is how level and stable the...

BAD10 wrote:
Coming off my 14 I am finding the 19 to be more cramped as well. Haven't tried the taller seat yet......
A taller friend of mine has a Guts tall seat and i would recommend that to taller people. I rode his bike on Sunday and the cockpit felt way more open, almost a bit like a KTM.
2/26/2019 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 1:40pm
Disclaimer #1: I used to own a 2-stroke YZ250.

Disclaimer #2: I recently sold the bike.

Disclaimer #3: I had third gear go out in that bike three times. So I'm not a big believer in Yamaha's "legendary reliability." I do believe that overall they do make a reliable bike and tend to think my 2013 YZ250 was made on a Friday after lunch (A little Friday afternoon saki make transmission go knocky).

Disclaimer #4: I do not own any YZ 4-stroke - let alone a 2019.

With the above in mind, I do currently know four friends with 2019 YZ 4-strokes. One with the 250, and three with the 450.

Two of the 450 riders are experts (not pros). One of them just came off a 2018 Honda - on which he destroyed the rear hub, left case, chain guide, etc. by throwing massive whips for a photographer (repeatedly as the photographer kept sending him around). So I don't really blame the Honda for that. However, this did prompt him to go out and get a new bike, and he settled on the YZ.

Anyhow, all four rave about the 2019 Yamahas. In particular, the guy mentioned above that came off the 2018 450 CRF, stated the Yamaha was better in every respect. Power, turning, stability, suspension, flat corners, rutted corners, etc. The one 2019 250 friend I have has said much the same thing.

I did ride the 450 and 250. I did not ride them hard as they're new and I'm always skeert of messing up a friend's bike - especially a new one. The throttle response is what I noticed first. Keep in mind how I've never owned a fuel-injected bike, so it probably means nothing, but the instantaneous response reminded me of a well-jetted 2-stroke.

Other than that, I rode neither long enough or hard enough to offer anything beyond what I wrote above and don't really feel qualified to offer an opinion.

The other guys that own the bikes, they are qualified, so, whether you accept their testimony as solid evidence or not, that is your business. I'm just telling you what I've observed and heard at my local track.

The 250 rider and the 450 rider (the one that had the Honda) - I have helped both maintain their machines and set them up. The spokes have already settled in and no longer requiring tightening. We've never once found a sprocket bolt loose. The app for changing the power delivery is amazing. All other manufacturers will soon be doing this. According to all four riders, the suspension is awesome "out of the box." None of these guys have had any issues as some have pointed out in prior posts. After my experience with my smoker, I don't doubt you guys that have had issues with Yamahas. Three times for third gear - in my case - is just stupid. I know I have a giant clown foot, but that's just ridiculous and not my fault.

Hope the above helps. Me? If I was going to get a 2019 4-stroke, I'd get the Yami just because I'd have to spend nothing on the suspension, and I would install the Travis Preston map and live happily ever after. The KTM would be a very close second choice.
Lbarton2287
2/26/2019 3:47pm
Lynch wrote:
About the clicking, I had the same problem on my old KTM 450 and it was one of the relays. Either starter relay or fuel pump...
About the clicking, I had the same problem on my old KTM 450 and it was one of the relays. Either starter relay or fuel pump relay.
I think that’s what it is as well. Did it turn out being your fuel pump relay? Did dealer reimburse your relay?

Post a reply to: 2019 YZ 450F reviews

The Latest