2019 Kawasaki KX450 subframe muffler tab

Related:
Create New Tag

10/4/2018 7:08 PM

I’ll start by saying the two pictures below of the cracked tab and PC muffler were copied from Bret’s post on page 6 of the “Let’s see/review those KX450s” so thank you Bret for posting them. They were super helpful.

This post will be useful to my fellow ‘19 Kawi owners. I purchased a PC exhaust system (early production with hard mount, not rubber like the picture) and rode it twice before hearing the rumors of the subframe tabs cracking off. I called Pro Circuit and they were very aware of the issue. After asking some direct questions they offered to modify my exhaust to incorporate the change they had already made mid production by putting a new muffler tab on with a rubber grommet (similar to the stock muffler). I did have to pay about $50 in shipping for them to revise it which I thought was a bummer but I guess that’s how these things work, can’t knock them for it as it’s more of a Kawi design flaw.

Anyways PC still recommended “gussetting” the subframe tab to strengthen it. So to avoid the day ruiner of it breaking off my buddy and I both removed our subframes, picked up a case of Rainier beer and went to our other buddy’s house to have it strengthened (buddy 1 and I have zero welding skills). The other photos sum up how he did it with a TIG welder. I cut out a minor area of the rear fender for relief but honestly it wasn’t necessary.

I would recommend any ‘19 KX450 owners do this, mainly with metal to metal mounted mufflers, as my subframe tab already showed fatigue cracks at 9 engine hours. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/4/2018 7:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2018 7:30 PM

Man that’s a bummer to have to do to a brand new $10k bike.

|