2019 KX450 or FC450

mxvet
Anyone ridden both? Opinions on them for a 51 yr old intermediate mx rider. Size wise I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. Coming off a 2016 KTM 450SXF.
|
JohnnyD13
10/30/2018 6:54pm
I would really recommend riding the kx450. I lost 2000 not riding them all first.
cody41
10/31/2018 4:49am
Your best bet it to approach someone with each bike at the track, express your interest in buying one, and ask to try it. Maybe even offer to pay them for a test ride. I’m my experience everyone is pretty nice at the track. You’d be surprised how easily others like to talk about their bike and let other people “feel” what they’re trying to explain.
chipj
10/31/2018 6:54am Edited Date/Time 10/31/2018 8:21am
I've had both and unless you are willing to spend big $ to get the forks fixed (spring insert or CV) I'd go with the Kawi. I'm pretty much exactly your size and you'll probably need to go stiffer on the fork sprigs, but they are really good stock. Also, with the footpeg mod (lower it) the KX will feel roomier than the husky. I did hear from a buddy that Husky/KTM will come with CV forks stock next year...
DB97
10/31/2018 7:18am
I'm biased towards kawi but after owning a 16 I would never buy a bike again with air forks including a kawi. I love my 19.

The Shop

mx317
10/31/2018 6:46pm
chipj wrote:
I've had both and unless you are willing to spend big $ to get the forks fixed (spring insert or CV) I'd go with the Kawi...
I've had both and unless you are willing to spend big $ to get the forks fixed (spring insert or CV) I'd go with the Kawi. I'm pretty much exactly your size and you'll probably need to go stiffer on the fork sprigs, but they are really good stock. Also, with the footpeg mod (lower it) the KX will feel roomier than the husky. I did hear from a buddy that Husky/KTM will come with CV forks stock next year...
I have a Rockstar Husky which is pretty much the same as the 19 and the forks are pretty darn good stock and really awesome with a FC revalve. I have cone valves that I had on my KTM and after switching back and forth I'm on the AER forks. I'm sure the Kawasaki is awesome, but the forks should not scare him off.
kb228
10/31/2018 7:29pm
The kx is $2000ish cheaper at my dealership. Kindof a no brainer. KTM doesnt offer anything worth extra coin anymore.
JWACK
10/31/2018 7:53pm
kb228 wrote:
The kx is $2000ish cheaper at my dealership. Kindof a no brainer. KTM doesnt offer anything worth extra coin anymore.
Except kick ass new 2 strokes.
Lynch
10/31/2018 11:11pm
kb228 wrote:
How much are the dealers charging for each bike? $2000 difference is huge!
11/1/2018 2:49am
I was able to test ride both of these bikes and IMO kawi felt much better. Better handling, felt lighter, good engine. Bike felt very agile and easy to ride. Hydraulic clutch was nice too.
Husky was a bit too soft on the engine side and maybe because of that it felt kinda heavy and just odd somehow. Shifting was better on husky. Ofcourse husky quality is better than kawi.
And this is not biased at all, i'm long time ktm guy myself.
kb228
11/1/2018 5:16am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 5:20am
kb228 wrote:
Lynch wrote:
$10,252 OTD for the kx and the husky is between 11-12. Its not exactly $2000 but its still a significant difference to be a no brainer
mx317
11/1/2018 5:22am
Retail on Husky is $9995, maybe 11 with tax.
yz133rider
11/1/2018 5:47am
Shop around can get them for retail out the door near me...
swtwtwtw
11/1/2018 7:43am
If you’re at the stage where you want a smooth, seamless power delivery, go with the FC450.
BobPA
11/1/2018 7:51am
kb228 wrote:
Lynch wrote:
kb228 wrote:
$10,252 OTD for the kx and the husky is between 11-12. Its not exactly $2000 but its still a significant difference to be a no brainer
Retail on the Kawi is $9399 retail and the Husky is $9999....A difference of $600...

$10,252 for a Kawi seems like they are really sticking it to you BTW.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/1/2018 10:48am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 10:48am
Lynch wrote:
kb228 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Retail on the Kawi is $9399 retail and the Husky is $9999....A difference of $600... $10,252 for a Kawi seems like they are really sticking it...
Retail on the Kawi is $9399 retail and the Husky is $9999....A difference of $600...

$10,500 otd for a 17 RMZ450 end of 2016. My sister bought one for her fiance. And they actually discounted the bike.. She did finance it, but we were all shocked. I paid $9800 otd for my 14 yz450 in July of 13 financed with no deal on the bike
cody41
11/1/2018 10:58am
kb228 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Retail on the Kawi is $9399 retail and the Husky is $9999....A difference of $600... $10,252 for a Kawi seems like they are really sticking it...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
$10,500 otd for a 17 RMZ450 end of 2016. My sister bought one for her fiance. And they actually discounted the bike.. She did finance it...
$10,500 otd for a 17 RMZ450 end of 2016. My sister bought one for her fiance. And they actually discounted the bike.. She did finance it, but we were all shocked. I paid $9800 otd for my 14 yz450 in July of 13 financed with no deal on the bike
Ouch...
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
11/1/2018 11:21am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 11:34am
Lynch wrote:
kb228 wrote:
BobPA wrote:

Yeah 19 KX450s should be in the $8400 range right now. I got mine in August for that price+ tax (about 9100 OTD)
11/1/2018 11:27am
We got our 19 Kx450 in July for $8600 OTD from Matt at Plainview Motorsports in MN.
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
55th
11/1/2018 11:30am
From a guy who rode em all last week... Yamaha. My dealer set up a demo day with a brand new kx and yz and I bummed test rides on everything else from friends. The kawi was my least favorite but it feels like it has potential to be a great bike. Im 200 lbs and a fast B rider and the forks were so soft they would bottom entering about every corner and it was very unpredictable to tell what the bike was going to do. I really wanted to like the bike and I played with the clickers a bunch to try and fix it but just couldn't get it to where I could push the edge on that bike. The power delivery was soft and went flat on top but I rode one with a pc pipe that helped a bunch. It does feel very light though and I think it could be a great bike with some work. I own a Husky and have been on Ktms since 65s so I'm very familiar with them and what not, but the husky feels very comfortable right when you get on it. I can ride it aggressively and push the edge without it doing anything weird. It is a great bike and definitely worth the extra money between the 2. The power is definitely a bit too smooth in some situations but there is a lot of it and you can use the clutch to make up for it as it is not that bad. Air forks work great and are very adjustable. The yz is my favorite because I got it set up well without doing much and the suspension was much better than the husky in the bumpy stuff. The power delivery is also quicker and adjustable with their app. It is a fat blue pig and the brakes aren't great but it was my favorite especially since it is cheaper and has a reputation for being more durable than the Austrian bikes. Spent way too long typing that gotta get back to work lol
GPrider
11/1/2018 11:40am
From a guy who rode em all last week... Yamaha. My dealer set up a demo day with a brand new kx and yz and I...
From a guy who rode em all last week... Yamaha. My dealer set up a demo day with a brand new kx and yz and I bummed test rides on everything else from friends. The kawi was my least favorite but it feels like it has potential to be a great bike. Im 200 lbs and a fast B rider and the forks were so soft they would bottom entering about every corner and it was very unpredictable to tell what the bike was going to do. I really wanted to like the bike and I played with the clickers a bunch to try and fix it but just couldn't get it to where I could push the edge on that bike. The power delivery was soft and went flat on top but I rode one with a pc pipe that helped a bunch. It does feel very light though and I think it could be a great bike with some work. I own a Husky and have been on Ktms since 65s so I'm very familiar with them and what not, but the husky feels very comfortable right when you get on it. I can ride it aggressively and push the edge without it doing anything weird. It is a great bike and definitely worth the extra money between the 2. The power is definitely a bit too smooth in some situations but there is a lot of it and you can use the clutch to make up for it as it is not that bad. Air forks work great and are very adjustable. The yz is my favorite because I got it set up well without doing much and the suspension was much better than the husky in the bumpy stuff. The power delivery is also quicker and adjustable with their app. It is a fat blue pig and the brakes aren't great but it was my favorite especially since it is cheaper and has a reputation for being more durable than the Austrian bikes. Spent way too long typing that gotta get back to work lol
my KX was not great stock either. After I had it re-sprung and valved for me it was a different bike. I can ride it aggressively and now love it! But stock I did not understand what all the hype was about. just my opinion
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
11/1/2018 12:00pm
From a guy who rode em all last week... Yamaha. My dealer set up a demo day with a brand new kx and yz and I...
GPrider wrote:
my KX was not great stock either. After I had it re-sprung and valved for me it was a different bike. I can ride it aggressively...
my KX was not great stock either. After I had it re-sprung and valved for me it was a different bike. I can ride it aggressively and now love it! But stock I did not understand what all the hype was about. just my opinion
Same. I'm a heavier B rider (225 lb) and the bike was way undersprung for me. I didn't even revalve it, just threw springs in and it totally changed the bike. It's now the best suspension I've ridden (all ky other bikes were Enzo or Factory Connection). I'm not even planning on sending my stuff out for a revalve now.

Stock, the bike falls off a little early. I liked the green ECU coupler the best, but some tuning on the stock ECU and you can get more mid/top. I haven't tried a pipe yet, but I want to.
kb228
11/1/2018 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 12:15pm
Theres some rumors of the new yz being trash regarding reliability
11/1/2018 1:06pm
GPrider wrote:
my KX was not great stock either. After I had it re-sprung and valved for me it was a different bike. I can ride it aggressively...
Jbulz wrote:
Same. I'm a heavier B rider (225 lb) and the bike was way undersprung for me. I didn't even revalve it, just threw springs in and...
Same. I'm a heavier B rider (225 lb) and the bike was way undersprung for me. I didn't even revalve it, just threw springs in and it totally changed the bike. It's now the best suspension I've ridden (all ky other bikes were Enzo or Factory Connection). I'm not even planning on sending my stuff out for a revalve now.

Stock, the bike falls off a little early. I liked the green ECU coupler the best, but some tuning on the stock ECU and you can get more mid/top. I haven't tried a pipe yet, but I want to.
What springs did you go with? I'm about the same weight as you.
Lynch
11/1/2018 1:23pm
kb228 wrote:
Theres some rumors of the new yz being trash regarding reliability
Doubt it, every brand got some lemons spread out across the globe.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
11/1/2018 1:43pm
GPrider wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
Same. I'm a heavier B rider (225 lb) and the bike was way undersprung for me. I didn't even revalve it, just threw springs in and...

What springs did you go with? I'm about the same weight as you.
0.52 front + 5cc fork oil, and 5.9 rear. To save some money you can just put a single 0.54 spring in one leg and leave the other stock, which is what I did.
datkin128
11/1/2018 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 2:09pm
mxvet wrote:
Anyone ridden both? Opinions on them for a 51 yr old intermediate mx rider. Size wise I'm 6'2" 190 lbs. Coming off a 2016 KTM 450SXF.
I’m almost ur identical height and weight. Love the new KX. I have since tried a 5.2 spring in one fork leg to get a 5.1 overall. I think I like it better. But the fork is great stock and no fussing with air is a huge bonus IMO (I had a 16 kx prior and will never do an air fork again). The motor and bike in general is very forgiving and I think you’ll love it!
mxvet
11/1/2018 5:37pm
Thanks for all the replies. Found a used FC450 Rockstar Edition with 6 hrs on it. Cheaper than a new KX. If it works out I'll be on a Husky.
BobPA
11/1/2018 5:50pm
mxvet wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. Found a used FC450 Rockstar Edition with 6 hrs on it. Cheaper than a new KX. If it works out I'll...
Thanks for all the replies. Found a used FC450 Rockstar Edition with 6 hrs on it. Cheaper than a new KX. If it works out I'll be on a Husky.
You will not be disappointed either way.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
11/1/2018 5:55pm
Both bikes are bad ass. The Kawi gets the nod because of spring forks if I were to buy one while the Husky engine I liked a bit more.

It really depends on what mods you plan to make if any. Both bikes are really good for 2019.

Post a reply to: 2019 KX450 or FC450

The Latest