2019 KTM250SX-F KYB Conversion

NJSuzuki86
Anybody know a good shop in central NJ (or surrounding tristate) that can handle the AER48 to KYB Spring Fork Conversion? I just can't stand the inconsistency of the air forks throughout the day.

Also a bit unnerving, my buddy's air valve was leaking last practice session which made us scramble to find a valve remover in the pits. Borderline thinking of jumping ship to Yamaha.

|
Renner153
Fantasy
3583rd
8/3/2020 5:50pm
Ship it down to active ride down in Florida. Matt has been doing the kyb conversion since 2016. That’s the only thing wrong with the KTM
cmotodad
8/3/2020 5:50pm
Just do the conversion to KYB internals. You will love them and the KTM. No ship jumping.
navalseabee
8/4/2020 2:39am
MX Tech Carbon Lucky's $1200, no need for KYB's
I’ve been riding a 150SX with the older Lucky kit and can confirm it is very good.

The Shop

NJSuzuki86
8/4/2020 5:27am
MX Tech Carbon Lucky's $1200, no need for KYB's
Actually sent them an email last night prior to seeing this reply.

Hopefully I can ship the forks out to them. I'll either go MXT or ship my stuff out to JBI for the KYB Conversion.

Absolutely love the weight of the bike, I can toss it around. I just cant dial in the front. Sometimes i'm railing the ruts, other times the front wheel is popping right out or I have to lean in more than usual.
WDSRCR
8/4/2020 5:32am
ProTune in Wellston Ohio built me a set of KYBs for my 2019 250XC.

They were pretty good but I liked my OEM tubes with the older WP Closed Chamber internals better.

I am on AER Cone Valves now and they are incredible.

Call Corey at Protune and discuss your options.
Toddler125
8/4/2020 6:20am
My MXT Lucky Carbons are sitting in the garage right now... hope to install later this week. I ride a 2019 300 XC and love the bike, except for the forks. I tried a lot of messing around and definitely got them working better than stock, but they still don't give me the feel I am looking for. I will report back once they are installed and I have riden them.
Johnny Depp
8/4/2020 7:22am
Toddler125 wrote:
My MXT Lucky Carbons are sitting in the garage right now... hope to install later this week. I ride a 2019 300 XC and love the...
My MXT Lucky Carbons are sitting in the garage right now... hope to install later this week. I ride a 2019 300 XC and love the bike, except for the forks. I tried a lot of messing around and definitely got them working better than stock, but they still don't give me the feel I am looking for. I will report back once they are installed and I have riden them.
Saw a video of a track owner who lost the front on a simple corner entry, it caught and highsided him, broken pelvis and collarbone. No one knows what happened, but I strongly suspect those air forks and lack of feel.

Very interested in hearing your report, I've heard good things other than Ping not liking the setup on the $36k Husky.
FahQ
8/4/2020 8:49am
GRR is in North Jersey, he’s at Etown a lot.
He can do them
Toddler125
8/26/2020 9:23am Edited Date/Time 8/26/2020 9:29am
So, after many delays (kitchen renovations) I was able to get my Lucky Carbons installed and try them out! The installations was relatively straight forward. If you're going to tackle this yourself, buy the lower fork tube holding tool, it is a life saver! My buddy, who is a certified motorcycle mechanic and a moto guy, helped me with the install at his shop. It's nice to have a proper suspension bench to work on.

The instructions that came with the kit were OK, but personally I feel they could be a little more detailed. No big deal, a few trips to You Tube answered our questions. If you have the ability to change fork seals and have the proper fork tools, you will be able to do the install. I shot a bunch of video and will eventually put up an install tutorial on You Tube.

I road last night for the first time with the kit and have to say, it was like riding another motorcycle! Just for reference I road some off-road trails and a little bit of the motocross track at our local club. It honestly felt foreign at first... I just wasn't used to the fork reacting to small bumps and roots like it did. In the first 20 mins of riding i was trying to get used to the new feel and I was continually bracing myself for the usual "spike" that would come through the handlebars... the spike never came! Once I focused more on the action of the forks, the more i enjoyed them. The front end had a bit of a "lively" feel to it so I went in two clicks on the rebound adjuster and it calmed things down to were i wanted it. It feels like the front of the bike is riding a little higher now and it is a little odd. I will double check my sag before the next ride and I may raise the forks in the clamps a little to see what happens.

A few things to note in my experience with MX Tech:
1) Their customer service is excellent! Diane who runs the office is a gem. She was super friendly, easy to deal with and was super helpful with my shipping needs. I"m in Canada but have a Mailbox over in Detroit where I have everything shipped. She had it all handled for me with zero issues. Jeremy was able to answer all my technical questions before I purchased the product.

2) The quality is second to none. The machining of components and coatings were incredible! I see a lot of machine work in my regular job and the MX Tech stuff is world caliber!

3) Cost. At $1,200.00 (1,600.00 Canadian Funds), the Lucky kit, it isn't cheap, but the change in the bikes handling and performance is night and day. Since we were tearing the forks apart, I installed new bushings, seals, stainless steel snap rings and obviously oil. Those items added about $150.00 to the total. For less then $1,400.00 I ended up with a great performing fork that i am confident will last for a long time. I feel that it was money well spent!

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask!

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM250SX-F KYB Conversion

The Latest