2019 KTM 250SX - anyone ride one yet?

tk2stroke
8/4/2018 12:22pm
I want to know a couple things What class you race in motocross and how old you are. Once that’s out in the open, there are...
I want to know a couple things
What class you race in motocross and how old you are. Once that’s out in the open, there are a few things I’d like to discuss. But I need to know your skill level of racing and age so I know how to go at this.

Jeff
tk2stroke wrote:
You go first, who are you? My words and perspective should give you more than enough to go on, what did I say that is inaccurate...
You go first, who are you?

My words and perspective should give you more than enough to go on, what did I say that is inaccurate or offbase? I only provide my perspective on aspects where I have a strong basis of knowledge, otherwise I enjoy being a student and listening to people with well thought out point of views.

It's very telling when I post 3 negative flaws in the current 250sx and receive downvotes for posting issues which are well known and accurate. Those who want to overlook these issues certainly can do so and drink the cool aid. The bike is still a very good bike, yet is not all it could and should be.
I’m Jeff Crutcher. I raced four outdoor nationals this year on a 17 250sx and have been racing dirt bikes since 1995. I am a known...
I’m Jeff Crutcher. I raced four outdoor nationals this year on a 17 250sx and have been racing dirt bikes since 1995. I am a known KTM diehard, and a known 2 stroke guy.

If you handed me a 2011 250sx and a 17 250sx I would be able to accurately describe the differences between the two. But I can tell you right now the odds of my laptimes being better on the ‘11 because of a few extra horsepower are the same odds a snowball has a chance in hell.

If the hill you want to die on is over 2nd and 3rd or for a couple horsepower at the tippy toppy of the powerband, I want to know how fast you are and how old you are- because it’s extremely evident by a persons riding skill and age what they are going to want out of a bike.

Now that I went first, it’s your turn.
Hey Jeff, Kudos for racing the 2t in the nationals, mad props.

I'm a 47 year old vet weekend warrior who spent my early 40's racing (30+, 35+, 40+) Daytona's, Muddy Creek's, WW Ranch, SOB and various LL area and regional qualifiers and now I sometime find my way over to race REM or ride Pala or Milestone. I ride about 50-70hrs a season and mostly professional practice ride these days. Since 2011 I've ridden most every make of KTM 2 stroke and 4 stoke models and many of the most recent Husky's. When I do race, I'm typically in the 1st pack of weekend warriors behind all the older fast guys, albeit usually at least 10 seconds a lap behind the Barry Carston's, Earl Mays, and John Grewe's of the sport.

At my speed or my lack of corner speed and inability to carry momentum like you can, I will hang my hat on needing more top end over-rev to be able to clear obstacles out of the corners, something you won't relate to anymore at your pace. The spacing between 2 & 3rd gear puts guys at my pace in very odd shift points on the face of a jump and other scenarios.

If you were to race a stock new generation 250sx and then I were to give you the same bike with improved gear ratio's and more top end over-rev, I would be willing to bet you would also be a few tenths faster per lap. And let's forget about being fast, in my case I am much more concerned with being comfortable and confident. While I could certainly adjust to the new generation bike, my point is the new generation bike does not deliver the level of confidence due to what I feel are real and significant drawbacks. Like you, I am a KTM loyalist but I'm not going to drink the cool-aid when I know KTM missed the mark on this particular model and has yet to address these issues.

People can choose to believe my point of view or not, I share it for those who find it to be informative. I'm very much looking forward to upgrading to the new model someday to enjoy the new frame and counter balancer, but only when I feel the rest of the bike exceeds my current ride.
make1go
8/4/2018 12:22pm
Question?

Does anyone use 1st gear? If not you basically have a 4-spd. right?
pits to the start gate?Laughing
tk2stroke
8/4/2018 12:23pm
Question?

Nope, 1st gear should be used in the pits only or to get out of a tough spot when trail riding. If you find yourself using 1st gear, you may want to gear your bike lower.

The Shop

tk2stroke
8/4/2018 12:30pm
seth505 wrote:
I had to mess with the setup on my 2013 to get more over-rev so not a big deal on the new one for me. I...
I had to mess with the setup on my 2013 to get more over-rev so not a big deal on the new one for me. I can think of several corners on local tracks where I come around in 2nd and then shift to 3rd right near a jump face, What other scenario will expose a major gear ratio issue more than that?
Spot on, that's the exact worst scenario and it's a very common on many tighter tracks. 2t's already have much less over-rev than a 4t, and when you add in poor gearing spacing it make this issue more pronounced
yz133rider
8/4/2018 12:50pm
I rode an 18 yesterday and yes i did come out of multiple corners and go for 3rd quite quickly. I also clutched 3rd out of those same corners with no issues. Some gearing and/or rider mod and this is seriously a non issue...
Johnny Depp
8/4/2018 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 12:59pm
Question?

tk2stroke wrote:
Nope, 1st gear should be used in the pits only or to get out of a tough spot when trail riding. If you find yourself using...
Nope, 1st gear should be used in the pits only or to get out of a tough spot when trail riding. If you find yourself using 1st gear, you may want to gear your bike lower.
Seems odd for a race bike to have a pit gear, might as well have a reverseLaughing

Seriously though, I make 1st gear usable on my setups, otherwise you run out of gear on fast sections if you like to keep it in the meat of the power. I'd be curious to know if anyone has setup theirs with a useable 1st, and if so is the gap still a problem?

I'm spoiled with a lazy man's big bore 4t now so my viewpoint is a bit different, I shift a lot less than everyone else, and 3rd gear starts are not needed since 2nd runs about 30+ mph.
opyguy
8/4/2018 12:53pm
yz133rider wrote:
I rode an 18 yesterday and yes i did come out of multiple corners and go for 3rd quite quickly. I also clutched 3rd out of...
I rode an 18 yesterday and yes i did come out of multiple corners and go for 3rd quite quickly. I also clutched 3rd out of those same corners with no issues. Some gearing and/or rider mod and this is seriously a non issue...
thats why I'm never in second, I find it easier to clutch it and use third.
I now understand though, if you are in 2nd you would have to shift almost immediately to 3rd, 2nd is way too short
yz133rider
8/4/2018 1:00pm
yz133rider wrote:
I rode an 18 yesterday and yes i did come out of multiple corners and go for 3rd quite quickly. I also clutched 3rd out of...
opyguy wrote:
thats why I'm never in second, I find it easier to clutch it and use third. I now understand though, if you are in 2nd you...
I now understand though, if you are in 2nd you would have to shift almost immediately to 3rd, 2nd is way too short
Same corners and sections i used to be 3rd and 4th on a 250f on my 350 im in 2nd and 3rd now. That was a huge adjustment it works at a totally different level my brain took a while to adjust.

Thats all it takes for this bike too. Maybe add a tooth and use 3rd and 4th. Also the pc exhaust is adding insane power thatll help fill in any gaps, jd jetting is getting pretty rave reviews and theres your jetting solved, top end solved, and gearing..

Or just keep crying because the bike doesnt fit your exact style, skill, speed, tracks, and idea of exactly what YOU think you need. It has to fit a wide variety of riders, needs, skills etc. Sorry ktm didnt invite you for some test sessions and adjust based on YOUR feed back.

Opyguy also this isnt directed at you, just at the thread in general.
opyguy
8/4/2018 2:10pm
yz133rider wrote:
opyguy wrote:
thats why I'm never in second, I find it easier to clutch it and use third. I now understand though, if you are in 2nd you...
yz133rider wrote:
Same corners and sections i used to be 3rd and 4th on a 250f on my 350 im in 2nd and 3rd now. That was a...
Same corners and sections i used to be 3rd and 4th on a 250f on my 350 im in 2nd and 3rd now. That was a huge adjustment it works at a totally different level my brain took a while to adjust.

Thats all it takes for this bike too. Maybe add a tooth and use 3rd and 4th. Also the pc exhaust is adding insane power thatll help fill in any gaps, jd jetting is getting pretty rave reviews and theres your jetting solved, top end solved, and gearing..

Or just keep crying because the bike doesnt fit your exact style, skill, speed, tracks, and idea of exactly what YOU think you need. It has to fit a wide variety of riders, needs, skills etc. Sorry ktm didnt invite you for some test sessions and adjust based on YOUR feed back.

Opyguy also this isnt directed at you, just at the thread in general.
yz,
no offense taken, i enjoy the dialogue and opinions, learning a lot. FWIW, I dropped to a 49 tooth and still never use second, I find that being a gear higher tires me out less, settles the suspension more and no doubt the bike can pull a higher gear. Also, pc silencer really made a huge difference in over-rev....everyone raves about the pc pipe, I'm actually tempted to switch from my wmf to the pc....in any event, good thread, a lot of info.
JMX82
8/4/2018 10:00pm
I have a 2016 250SX and I can use third gear even in slow corners with some clutch work and I'm not even a fast guy. I use second gear only for the starts. Usually on the track 3rd and 4th gear are the only ones that I use.
chump6784
8/5/2018 2:58am
I was at the track yesterday and hanging out with 2 guys who both have '17 250sx's. One issue that came up is the gearing.
The track we were at has big double not far out of a slick hard packed corner. On my yz I can roll around the corner in 3rd and then roll the power on as traction becomes available until I am full throttle to clear it. One of the guys runs a 48 tooth sprocket on the back and has to clutch the bike hard in 3rd to clear it, the other runs a 52 tooth and has to go from 3rd to 4th.

Another topic that came up was wheels. One of them commented that hopefully the 19's come with good wheels, not the cheap Excels.

No doubt the current 250sx is a good bike but there could definitely be some improvements made
Lynch
8/5/2018 5:34am
chump6784 wrote:
I was at the track yesterday and hanging out with 2 guys who both have '17 250sx's. One issue that came up is the gearing. The...
I was at the track yesterday and hanging out with 2 guys who both have '17 250sx's. One issue that came up is the gearing.
The track we were at has big double not far out of a slick hard packed corner. On my yz I can roll around the corner in 3rd and then roll the power on as traction becomes available until I am full throttle to clear it. One of the guys runs a 48 tooth sprocket on the back and has to clutch the bike hard in 3rd to clear it, the other runs a 52 tooth and has to go from 3rd to 4th.

Another topic that came up was wheels. One of them commented that hopefully the 19's come with good wheels, not the cheap Excels.

No doubt the current 250sx is a good bike but there could definitely be some improvements made
The stock wheels are honestly shit and have been for quite some time. Cracked a rim on a 2014 bike, hub + rim went at the same time on a 350 2015 and the rim on the last KTM I had looked like it had done 200 hours after 20. Good wheels to race on and you will be sorted, I prefer Haan/A60 combo as the ones I used for 2 seasons plus two Gotland grand nationals (google it Woohoo )still look like new except for the good old silver edge.
sandman768
8/5/2018 6:14am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 6:22am
The wheels could be better, but it's mostly the spokes coming loose, if you stay on top of the spokes the wheels hold up ok...very few bikes roll off the show room floor perfect...When I feel like I have to wave the 2 stroke flag, I"m going to buy a KTM. they have continued to put R &D into their 2 t"s. I have had several YZ 250"s, they are great bikes and still effective, but its very hard to get excited about buying the same bike over & over again.
8/5/2018 7:26am
tk2stroke wrote:
Hey Jeff, Kudos for racing the 2t in the nationals, mad props. I'm a 47 year old vet weekend warrior who spent my early 40's racing...

I'm a 47 year old vet weekend warrior who spent my early 40's racing (30+, 35+, 40+) Daytona's, Muddy Creek's, WW Ranch, SOB and various LL area and regional qualifiers and now I sometime find my way over to race REM or ride Pala or Milestone. I ride about 50-70hrs a season and mostly professional practice ride these days. Since 2011 I've ridden most every make of KTM 2 stroke and 4 stoke models and many of the most recent Husky's. When I do race, I'm typically in the 1st pack of weekend warriors behind all the older fast guys, albeit usually at least 10 seconds a lap behind the Barry Carston's, Earl Mays, and John Grewe's of the sport.

At my speed or my lack of corner speed and inability to carry momentum like you can, I will hang my hat on needing more top end over-rev to be able to clear obstacles out of the corners, something you won't relate to anymore at your pace. The spacing between 2 & 3rd gear puts guys at my pace in very odd shift points on the face of a jump and other scenarios.

If you were to race a stock new generation 250sx and then I were to give you the same bike with improved gear ratio's and more top end over-rev, I would be willing to bet you would also be a few tenths faster per lap. And let's forget about being fast, in my case I am much more concerned with being comfortable and confident. While I could certainly adjust to the new generation bike, my point is the new generation bike does not deliver the level of confidence due to what I feel are real and significant drawbacks. Like you, I am a KTM loyalist but I'm not going to drink the cool-aid when I know KTM missed the mark on this particular model and has yet to address these issues.

People can choose to believe my point of view or not, I share it for those who find it to be informative. I'm very much looking forward to upgrading to the new model someday to enjoy the new frame and counter balancer, but only when I feel the rest of the bike exceeds my current ride.
It makes sense, wanting more HP. The downfall of this forum is not knowing people’s backgrounds and why they want what they want. And some folks get embarrassed by their skill level, which I don’t understand.

Honestly, one of the best overall bikes I’ve ever raced was an 04/05 Suzuki RM250. It corners better than my current bike, but about everything else on the KTM is better. If I was going to go buy a brand new 450 to ride- it would be a 17 Suzuki 450. I wouldn’t want to race it much but that bike works really damn well even though it’s essentially a 10 year old bike. My riding style suits that bikes chassis because I am NOT an overrev guy. Point being there are some bikes out there that I would rather ride for different needs vs. my current race bike.

So for you, yeah I’d understand desiring a little more point and shoot power for a vet. At 7500 to 13000 rpm the gear change from 2nd to 3rd is very linear on the 17, but 2nd doesn’t have much pull at lower rpm. An FMF gnarly would help, but that’s just a bandaid to a larger miss for your specific needs.

Sounds like you’ve found the ideal machine. I think it may be easier to iron kinks on a bike a few years old than it is a bike a few months old. Did you ever ride the 2003 gold framed beast 250 SX? Could swear people said in stock trim it boasted 54hp.
I wish I could go back in time and ride that bike at my current skill and also ride my dads 96 360sx.
8/5/2018 7:32am
chump6784 wrote:
I was at the track yesterday and hanging out with 2 guys who both have '17 250sx's. One issue that came up is the gearing. The...

Apples to oranges. Some people aren’t good in hardpack. If you rode all three bikes back to back to back that would be one thing. But to have three different people with different gears, tires, skill, etc say the flaws of a bike are XYZ is a very inaccurate way to measure a bikes capability. The rider is always the biggest variable in these situations. Not the bike.

Your YZ is a good bike. But I bet you could do the same jump on their bikes with a couple laps on each without problem or hesitation.
chump6784
8/5/2018 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 1:44pm
chump6784 wrote:

Apples to oranges. Some people aren’t good in hardpack. If you rode all three bikes back to back to back that would be one thing. But...
Apples to oranges. Some people aren’t good in hardpack. If you rode all three bikes back to back to back that would be one thing. But to have three different people with different gears, tires, skill, etc say the flaws of a bike are XYZ is a very inaccurate way to measure a bikes capability. The rider is always the biggest variable in these situations. Not the bike.

Your YZ is a good bike. But I bet you could do the same jump on their bikes with a couple laps on each without problem or hesitation.
I probably could, my point was these guys are playing with gearing and exhaust's to try to fix the little things that don't work. I just gave a real world example of other riders who are trying to overcome the poor gearing that others in this thread and MXA have mentioned. I would say that is a pretty good way of determining a bikes capability or at least some minor short comings
tk2stroke
8/5/2018 5:17pm
UPSman334 wrote:
Anyone run castor 927?
I did for a couple of years, but was not thrilled with wear. Moved to Yamaha 2R and ever since my top end wear was vastly improved. Originally I used motorex and it was by far the least effective. From real world use, I swear by 2R
dedi684
8/5/2018 6:27pm
tk2stroke wrote:
You go first, who are you? My words and perspective should give you more than enough to go on, what did I say that is inaccurate...
You go first, who are you?

My words and perspective should give you more than enough to go on, what did I say that is inaccurate or offbase? I only provide my perspective on aspects where I have a strong basis of knowledge, otherwise I enjoy being a student and listening to people with well thought out point of views.

It's very telling when I post 3 negative flaws in the current 250sx and receive downvotes for posting issues which are well known and accurate. Those who want to overlook these issues certainly can do so and drink the cool aid. The bike is still a very good bike, yet is not all it could and should be.
I’m Jeff Crutcher. I raced four outdoor nationals this year on a 17 250sx and have been racing dirt bikes since 1995. I am a known...
I’m Jeff Crutcher. I raced four outdoor nationals this year on a 17 250sx and have been racing dirt bikes since 1995. I am a known KTM diehard, and a known 2 stroke guy.

If you handed me a 2011 250sx and a 17 250sx I would be able to accurately describe the differences between the two. But I can tell you right now the odds of my laptimes being better on the ‘11 because of a few extra horsepower are the same odds a snowball has a chance in hell.

If the hill you want to die on is over 2nd and 3rd or for a couple horsepower at the tippy toppy of the powerband, I want to know how fast you are and how old you are- because it’s extremely evident by a persons riding skill and age what they are going to want out of a bike.

Now that I went first, it’s your turn.
tk2stroke wrote:
Hey Jeff, Kudos for racing the 2t in the nationals, mad props. I'm a 47 year old vet weekend warrior who spent my early 40's racing...

Sold mine and bought a yz because of this
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/5/2018 9:28pm
tk2stroke wrote:
Spot on, that's the exact worst scenario and it's a very common on many tighter tracks. 2t's already have much less over-rev than a 4t, and...
Spot on, that's the exact worst scenario and it's a very common on many tighter tracks. 2t's already have much less over-rev than a 4t, and when you add in poor gearing spacing it make this issue more pronounced
I'm no pro so shouldn't I not be able to do this jump from the way inside rut if it's that bad? No way in hell I'd hit this tight corner in 3rd gear.

Play the vid at 10 seconds in to see the corner in 2nd gear, shifting to 3rd for a jump.

https://youtu.be/95UjsRkE2a0
tk2stroke
8/5/2018 9:41pm
tk2stroke wrote:
Spot on, that's the exact worst scenario and it's a very common on many tighter tracks. 2t's already have much less over-rev than a 4t, and...
seth505 wrote:
I'm no pro so shouldn't I not be able to do this jump from the way inside rut if it's that bad? No way in hell...
I'm no pro so shouldn't I not be able to do this jump from the way inside rut if it's that bad? No way in hell I'd hit this tight corner in 3rd gear.

Play the vid at 10 seconds in to see the corner in 2nd gear, shifting to 3rd for a jump.

https://youtu.be/95UjsRkE2a0
Perfect, you adapted nicely and if you're fine with it then that's all that matters. If you don't think or feel the short 2nd gear is an issue, then cool. I'm glad you love the bike, I think it's a major flaw and won't upgrade until it's addressed.

Put that jump face 10 feet closer and now you probably put yourself in a situation where it's easier to make a mistake.
PJRAUS
8/6/2018 12:17am
I'm on a 17 yz 450 f with one tooth bigger on the rear and a Gytr 9 oz flywheel weight.
My local track is very fast and gets very choppy and whooped out on a busy day...there is one corner where I use second, but I'm trying to concentrate on getting it in third so I can get through the following obstacles better without having to shift....
Been working on carrying 4th through a couple of other bowl turns so as to get up to speed quicker without a shift.
I find that forcing myself to run a higher gear in every corner is improving my corner speed...I find if I carry fourth well, I'm immediately going faster upon the exit and can just hammer it on without having to make a shift through rough ground or before an obstacle....
I'll see how I go with this on my yz 250 two stroke when I start riding it.
Im becoming a big believer in carying the highest gear possible in a corner.
Was at a mx school at park4 in Melbourne a while back and I was shocked when the instructor Cheyne Boyd told me he uses 2nd gear in most corners on that track. That guy is very very fast! I just couldn't make it work for me..
PJRAUS
8/6/2018 12:22am
And I think it might be a bit of a style based thing....Ken Rocksen is amazing and not a revver, so I'm guessing 2nd gear never gets used , whilst Justin Barcia is also amazing and revs the tits off it so I figure hes hammering 2nd a lot.
Come to think of it, I would consider Cheyne Boyd to be a revver, but considering the massive corner speed he carries...why be in second? It works for him ,but I just can't figure out how
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/6/2018 6:59am
tk2stroke wrote:
Perfect, you adapted nicely and if you're fine with it then that's all that matters. If you don't think or feel the short 2nd gear is...
Perfect, you adapted nicely and if you're fine with it then that's all that matters. If you don't think or feel the short 2nd gear is an issue, then cool. I'm glad you love the bike, I think it's a major flaw and won't upgrade until it's addressed.

Put that jump face 10 feet closer and now you probably put yourself in a situation where it's easier to make a mistake.
Ya, I see what you're saying I just see it as adapting or paying more attention in certain areas. I feel like it's easy in general to make mistakes on a 2-stroke so maybe that's why I don't worry about the gearing so much.
Fearo
8/6/2018 8:57am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2018 8:59am
Yawn.. How much experience do people have on a certain platform to 'criticize' it anyway? I had 7 years on last gen KTMS ('11 150, '13 250 and '16 250) and now own a '18 250.

Everything can be summed up in a few sentences:
Is the new platform better? yes. Radically better? No.
Does it have more power/less power? I don't fucking know, Chief. Nor do I care. You can make these bikes into a VET woods bike with no power or a 54HP fire-breathing monster with a few 100 bucks of changes either way.

This literally is a bike anyone can enjoy, simply because of its versatility.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
8/6/2018 11:43am
I rode an 18 250SX a few weeks ago. 50+ B rider. All I can say is I'm selling my 4 stroke and getting one ASAP.
Tomok
11/5/2018 9:10am
braaap707 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/04/278686/s1200_36639410_1314095528734570_4157220088430198784_o.jpg[/img] I have the PC factory sound r304 and although some times id like a little more snap, i wouldnt trade the amount of over rev...

I have the PC factory sound r304 and although some times id like a little more snap, i wouldnt trade the amount of over rev i have for more snap. Bike just keeps pulling. V force 4 cage helped too as it gave it more power everywhere.
That silencer looks long. Is that the R304 shrorty or 304?
AJ565
11/5/2018 9:15am
I rode one Saturday. If you want the new looks then go for it. Performance wise it's no better than the 17-18's. Jetting is still way to rich and the forks are still harsh.

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 250SX - anyone ride one yet?

The Latest