2019 KTM 250SX - anyone ride one yet?

Joko
Fantasy
190th
Edited Date/Time 11/5/2018 4:22pm
Curious to see how the 19 compares to the 18 model with the new changes?
|
Pirate421
8/2/2018 3:34pm
Also curious it will be my next bike. And if you have one let’s see it!
dcg141
8/2/2018 4:05pm
New frame, body work, clutch and transmission. If you see a 19 in person beside an 18 its pretty shocking how much different it is than an 18. It does not look that much different in pictures.

The Shop

Joko
Fantasy
190th
8/2/2018 4:42pm
I thought the 125 only received a new transmission ?
8/2/2018 4:45pm
"The 125/150SX engine rear can be switched back and forth between 125cc and 150cc displacement with just a cylinder, piston and head change"
Not sure what's going on in Jody's life, but the guy needs to proof read or IMO get someone else to do it.
opyguy
8/2/2018 4:50pm
Finally getting my 17 dial In and now I think I want to 19....fml
8/2/2018 4:53pm
opyguy wrote:
Finally getting my 17 dial In and now I think I want to 19....fml
I'm still rocking a 14 that isn't dialed in yet. SOON though lol
Pirate421
8/2/2018 6:04pm
My 14 was never dialed after countless $$. I rode my buddies 2017 and it was night and day handling suspension and no vibration. Then I saw a 2019 250f last week dude by side a 2018 and definitely noticebly slimmer and flatter seat. Thing was gorgeous. I did look at the headstock area and it looked like there was definitely more gussetting and material there. Even his pre drilled tabs on the frame for a skid plate and the frame guards protect the side plates from melting away like my husky did.
8/2/2018 7:01pm
My ‘13 150 has been superb, never owned a bike for so long, it’s been flawless. Soo tempted by these ‘19s though!
hyler199
8/2/2018 7:40pm
my 13 sx250 has done be proud. Super reliable and im pretty terrible with bike maintenance
UPSman334
8/2/2018 7:42pm
I love my 18! got the suspension and barely messed around with the jetting and ran 60:1 like it says, gotta love blowing by 250fs
tk2stroke
8/2/2018 11:15pm
It doesn't appear they addressed the major issues in the current generation. While I love the counter balancer and some other improvements, until they solve these issues I'm going to continue rocking my 2011.

1. Max horsepower is only 47. Previous generations were 49-50 and have more top end pull, current generation has better mid range power.

2. The gear spacing between 2-3rd gear is much too narrow. Gearing alone will not solve this problem

3. The Mikuni carb is temperamental and requires frequent re-jetting. Where the previous Keihin carb stayed jetted well with temp ranges by as much as 25-30 degrees, the Mikuni window is much smaller in 10-15 degree increments. You can get away with a Winter, Spring, and Summer jetting process in the Keihin, but with the Mikuni carbs you often need to re-jet week to week or ride to ride depending on weather.

The first two issues cannot be band-aided, and the carb issue can only be solved by going with a Lectron. I admire the incredible advancements from KTM, but in my view the current 250sx is a very flawed machine and not up to the standards of the rest of the lineup.
sandman768
8/3/2018 4:02am
tk2stroke wrote:
It doesn't appear they addressed the major issues in the current generation. While I love the counter balancer and some other improvements, until they solve these...
It doesn't appear they addressed the major issues in the current generation. While I love the counter balancer and some other improvements, until they solve these issues I'm going to continue rocking my 2011.

1. Max horsepower is only 47. Previous generations were 49-50 and have more top end pull, current generation has better mid range power.

2. The gear spacing between 2-3rd gear is much too narrow. Gearing alone will not solve this problem

3. The Mikuni carb is temperamental and requires frequent re-jetting. Where the previous Keihin carb stayed jetted well with temp ranges by as much as 25-30 degrees, the Mikuni window is much smaller in 10-15 degree increments. You can get away with a Winter, Spring, and Summer jetting process in the Keihin, but with the Mikuni carbs you often need to re-jet week to week or ride to ride depending on weather.

The first two issues cannot be band-aided, and the carb issue can only be solved by going with a Lectron. I admire the incredible advancements from KTM, but in my view the current 250sx is a very flawed machine and not up to the standards of the rest of the lineup.
These are valid points but not deal breakers IMo. A pipe/silencer and powervalve adjustment gets the top end revs back, 1 less tooth on the rear helps with the 2nd to 3rd transition and the Mikuni jetting changes can be made in minutes. I have the carb settings down to where all I need to do is change the main depending on conditions, but yes, I would welcome a Keihin carb to the party...
8/3/2018 4:09am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2018 4:10am
You people that think the Mikuni carb is junk and temperamental and whatever word salad you want to throw at it are nuts. I swear so many ppl like to pretend they are the ultimate mechanics that knows all and if you don’t do it their way THE BIKE WONT RUN AT ALL.

Stock, yeah it’s heaping shit. However. You throw a JD Jet kit in it- and it’s a badass carb that works phenomenal. I’ve been riding the same settings since April.

It’s a $100 performance part I would’ve bought with a Keihin too. But this is vital and what the hell do I know
opyguy
8/3/2018 4:10am
When do you guys use second?
Not kidding, I’m generally in third or fourth throughout the track never use second, maybe I’m doing something wrong?
Sandman mind sharing your jetting specs?
I’m at 5.75 slide stock needle fourth clip 37.5 pilot
Finally Nirvana
BobPA
8/3/2018 4:26am
I love how people knock the Mikuni. It has been used for many years on Japanese bikes with little to no complaint.
sandman768
8/3/2018 4:46am
opyguy wrote:
When do you guys use second? Not kidding, I’m generally in third or fourth throughout the track never use second, maybe I’m doing something wrong? Sandman...
When do you guys use second?
Not kidding, I’m generally in third or fourth throughout the track never use second, maybe I’m doing something wrong?
Sandman mind sharing your jetting specs?
I’m at 5.75 slide stock needle fourth clip 37.5 pilot
Finally Nirvana
Only use 2nd for tight turns. I rode/raced the bike in the spring with cooler temps. Stock slide, stock needle, clip in the middle. Same pilot as you, main 450-460..I do have a 5.75 slide I wanted to try for the summer heat & humidity but never got a chance to try it before my season ended with an injury. I do have fmf pipe & silencer ...50:1 amsoil with 50/50 110 leaded mixed with 91 non ethanol gas...
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/3/2018 6:58am
I use 2nd and 3rd a lot on some mx tracks, the gear ratios are not a "major issue"
BR8ES
8/3/2018 7:01am
the new gen is superior in everyway, glad you like the '11 though. I would suggest less reading and believing however.
AJ565
8/3/2018 7:07am
tk2stroke wrote:
It doesn't appear they addressed the major issues in the current generation. While I love the counter balancer and some other improvements, until they solve these...

My '18 with proper jetting and a PC pipe/silencer made almost 51hp on the dyno.

The carb is amazing and with my jetting I only need to change it when it drops below 50 and we are talking a clip position change. The Lectron is junk on these bikes. Anyone that says different are not riding the bike hard in moto.

I agree on the gearing. Dropping to a 49 helped, but I want to try a 48 and also maybe change the front sprocket too.
876moto
8/3/2018 8:32am
tk2stroke wrote:

tk2stroke
8/3/2018 9:42am
tk2stroke wrote:

876moto wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/03/278516/s1200_meme.jpg[/img]

When you hear the truth you blame the messenger, typical sheep response.
BR8ES
8/3/2018 9:46am
so you've determined all of the new gen faults thru extensive testing? Then decided perfection came in 2011?
Superdave19
8/3/2018 9:48am
AJ565 wrote:
My '18 with proper jetting and a PC pipe/silencer made almost 51hp on the dyno. The carb is amazing and with my jetting I only need...
My '18 with proper jetting and a PC pipe/silencer made almost 51hp on the dyno.

The carb is amazing and with my jetting I only need to change it when it drops below 50 and we are talking a clip position change. The Lectron is junk on these bikes. Anyone that says different are not riding the bike hard in moto.

I agree on the gearing. Dropping to a 49 helped, but I want to try a 48 and also maybe change the front sprocket too.
I’m running stk gearing- Pulling 3rd gear starts.. pretty good results, but falls off a bit when/if I shift.. may even try a 51, or, maybe a 49/48 to start in 2nd-
tk2stroke
8/3/2018 9:50am
tk2stroke wrote:

sandman768 wrote:
These are valid points but not deal breakers IMo. A pipe/silencer and powervalve adjustment gets the top end revs back, 1 less tooth on the rear...
These are valid points but not deal breakers IMo. A pipe/silencer and powervalve adjustment gets the top end revs back, 1 less tooth on the rear helps with the 2nd to 3rd transition and the Mikuni jetting changes can be made in minutes. I have the carb settings down to where all I need to do is change the main depending on conditions, but yes, I would welcome a Keihin carb to the party...
I agree, re-jetting the carb is not a big deal for those who know what they are doing, but it's a self inflected flaw by KTM. The 2nd-3rd gear issue is a total deal killer for me, it's incredibly frustrating to have such an odd shift point. As for the aftermarket pipe, the previous generations put out between 52-53HP and with a over-rev. The new gens fall on there face earlier and that's a no-go for me.

The rest of the bike is amazing and has numerous awesome upgrades. I certainly don't fault anyone who loves the new generation, it's a great bike. In my view, it's has new generation problems that need to be fixed at the factory. Before I upgrade, I want a superior bike in every facet and that's not what's being offered.
tk2stroke
8/3/2018 9:54am
BR8ES wrote:
the new gen is superior in everyway, glad you like the '11 though. I would suggest less reading and believing however.
You may suggest all you want, I have many hours of seat time on the new gen bikes and the takeaway is real world perspective. The new gen is a good bike in many ways, but it's actually inferior in some very dramatic and important ways, and superior in others.
BR8ES
8/3/2018 9:57am
BR8ES wrote:
tk2stroke wrote:
You may suggest all you want, I have many hours of seat time on the new gen bikes and the takeaway is real world perspective. The...
You may suggest all you want, I have many hours of seat time on the new gen bikes and the takeaway is real world perspective. The new gen is a good bike in many ways, but it's actually inferior in some very dramatic and important ways, and superior in others.
That is more like it, but to put a blanket over the new gen as inferior is ridiculous and that is what you made it sound like intially.
ThatOneKid
8/3/2018 9:58am
You people that think the Mikuni carb is junk and temperamental and whatever word salad you want to throw at it are nuts. I swear so...
You people that think the Mikuni carb is junk and temperamental and whatever word salad you want to throw at it are nuts. I swear so many ppl like to pretend they are the ultimate mechanics that knows all and if you don’t do it their way THE BIKE WONT RUN AT ALL.

Stock, yeah it’s heaping shit. However. You throw a JD Jet kit in it- and it’s a badass carb that works phenomenal. I’ve been riding the same settings since April.

It’s a $100 performance part I would’ve bought with a Keihin too. But this is vital and what the hell do I know
This, once I got my 17 150 jetted I have barely touched the jetting and it has been great. I change the main once in a while by 1 step and that is all. Havn't touched mine since April and i've raced in temps from 60 degrees to 95 degrees only messing with the air screw.

I agree it was really bad from the factory, incredibly rich.

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 250SX - anyone ride one yet?

The Latest