2019 KTM 2 Stroke SX line have TPI?

ginger969
Edited Date/Time 6/28/2018 3:24pm
Anyone know if the 19' KTM 2 smoker SX line will have TPI and/or E start??? Would be pretty amazing
|
1/22/2018 12:38pm
I doubt it; they're having enough issues producing parts to produce just ONE model with TPI (250XCW) for US distribution. Will it come some day? Maybe.
Rockinar
1/22/2018 12:40pm
I hope not. I'd go buy one today to avoid that nonsense if they did.
1/22/2018 12:48pm
I'm pretty sure I saw something that ktm said no maybe not till 2021. They definitely made it clear it wasn't coming out on the 19 sx's.
tek14
1/22/2018 12:58pm
Rockinar wrote:
Only people that never riden one say that.

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
1/22/2018 1:11pm
I've seen people say it's like riding a perfectly
Jetted 2 stroke. So it's your choice, mess with jets or pack a few extra pounds on the bike. It's pretty impressive that the first year, first shot at FI is on par with the carb.
Rockinar
1/22/2018 1:34pm
Rockinar wrote:
tek14 wrote:
Only people that never riden one say that.
I'm sure the bike is fine. I just simply don't want electronics on my bikes. Maybe if I was racing hard enduro in the Swiss mountains, yes for sure I'd take some TPI over a carb. But I trail and track ride for fun at seal level...so no thanks.
Motofinne
1/22/2018 1:37pm
No. I don't think that we will see that on the SX models anytime soon.

Maybe the generation after the one that is upcoming(=2022)?
DTHA70
1/22/2018 2:34pm
you can keep all of that electronic wizardry off of any two stroke that im buying thanks. taper bored keihin with a STIC block and im set.
1/22/2018 2:55pm
Why would you want that? More confusing when shit goes wrong, cost even more money. Carbs are simple to tune and fix. Just my 2 cents
Motofinne
1/22/2018 3:09pm
It's kind of funny reading all these comments about FI on 2 strokes.

I'm sure the people back in the day said the same about disc brakes, the first 4 stroke, USD forks, monoshock etc.
BobPA
1/22/2018 3:52pm
Anyone know if it will be available on the XC’s?
Speeder757
1/22/2018 11:28pm
How about the new frame? Do the 2 strokes usually get frame etc updates the same year as the 4 strokes?
Jackace
1/23/2018 1:43am
BobPA wrote:
Anyone know if it will be available on the XC’s?
This is what I'm hoping to see in 2019. Both the 250 and 300 XC available with TPI.
1/23/2018 1:52am
Why would you want that? More confusing when shit goes wrong, cost even more money. Carbs are simple to tune and fix. Just my 2 cents
try to jet this stupid mikuni carb on th newer 125/150SX..
SigPig
1/23/2018 2:27am
Get a Lectron and be done with it.
Tuna
1/23/2018 2:53am
I've seen people say it's like riding a perfectly Jetted 2 stroke. So it's your choice, mess with jets or pack a few extra pounds on...
I've seen people say it's like riding a perfectly
Jetted 2 stroke. So it's your choice, mess with jets or pack a few extra pounds on the bike. It's pretty impressive that the first year, first shot at FI is on par with the carb.
Carb bike works better if you have a clue how to jet. The TPI still needs improvements like any new model.
Tuna
1/23/2018 2:55am
SigPig wrote:
Get a Lectron and be done with it.
Over rated....not great on small bores either. Reality is it’s hard to beat a well set up carb. I’ve run Lectrons and Smartcarbs, went back to a carb.
Johnny Depp
1/23/2018 6:05am
A closed course machine will never be forced to add FI due to emissions. If a manufacturer sees a "profit" or "performance" benefit then they may choose to go there. Not likely when you factor cost, weight and current FI performace results. If one of the several manufacturers that have been testing for years had unlocked the magic power or mpg genie, someone would have already been on the bandwagon. It is only so far a likely solution for E4/E5 regulations for bikes that are also produced for street licensing in Europe.
Steadman
1/23/2018 6:28am
Likely won't see TPI on the SX range for some time. Although I've read great things about the new TPI units I can't help think KTM is testing on the backs of customers. Why so few units? Why only the XC-W/EXC model? I am suspect. That being said I will likely own one in a few years time once TPI becomes the norm.
1/23/2018 6:38am
#434 wrote:
try to jet this stupid mikuni carb on th newer 125/150SX..
Plug chops are your friend. Jetting is simple
1/23/2018 7:16am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 7:37am
Plug chops are the very definition of a trial-and-error process.

That's not simple. That's tedious and time-consuming.
dcg141
1/23/2018 9:06am
I'm a dealer and my feeling is that the 300 W and the TE 300 will get TPI next year. Bob I don't think we will see it on XC's and TX's next year. The feedback I'm getting from the few that I sold has been very good. They run better at really low rpm's than any carb unit. So for trail usage it's been really good. Once you get out of about 1/4 throttle they run like a well jetted carb bike. Since they run so well in lower rpm's it nearly eliminates the 2 stroke "hit". They use the same fuel pump as the 4 stroke bikes. I was in tech school for them back in December and took an engine apart. The system is actually pretty simple. Also according to KTM, injectors can't spray premix. I think at some point the cost will be where it's not efficient to make a carb and a TPI unit and that's when the XC and SX will come with it.
BobPA
1/23/2018 9:10am
Plug chops are only for wide open throttle characteristics. They provide nothing for the manners of the bike. You can have beautiful plug color. and still be fatter than hell during cruising speeds....
Tuna
1/23/2018 9:31am
dcg141 wrote:
I'm a dealer and my feeling is that the 300 W and the TE 300 will get TPI next year. Bob I don't think we will...
I'm a dealer and my feeling is that the 300 W and the TE 300 will get TPI next year. Bob I don't think we will see it on XC's and TX's next year. The feedback I'm getting from the few that I sold has been very good. They run better at really low rpm's than any carb unit. So for trail usage it's been really good. Once you get out of about 1/4 throttle they run like a well jetted carb bike. Since they run so well in lower rpm's it nearly eliminates the 2 stroke "hit". They use the same fuel pump as the 4 stroke bikes. I was in tech school for them back in December and took an engine apart. The system is actually pretty simple. Also according to KTM, injectors can't spray premix. I think at some point the cost will be where it's not efficient to make a carb and a TPI unit and that's when the XC and SX will come with it.
I find the bottom end to be lazy on them, lacks response. Mid to top is great. Fuel economy not as good as the carbed bike.
dcg141
1/23/2018 9:38am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 9:43am
dcg141 wrote:
I'm a dealer and my feeling is that the 300 W and the TE 300 will get TPI next year. Bob I don't think we will...
Tuna wrote:
I find the bottom end to be lazy on them, lacks response. Mid to top is great. Fuel economy not as good as the carbed bike.
Interesting. I have not had one in the woods yet so I'm going on customers feedback. I know I have seen a flurry of aftermarket already ramping up. Would not surprise me to see a different head soon and I'm sure JD will have a ECU tuner out soon. Does yours not clean at lower RPM or just not responsive?
1/23/2018 9:41am
BobPA wrote:
Plug chops are only for wide open throttle characteristics. They provide nothing for the manners of the bike. You can have beautiful plug color. and still...
Plug chops are only for wide open throttle characteristics. They provide nothing for the manners of the bike. You can have beautiful plug color. and still be fatter than hell during cruising speeds....
You can still use it for the needle setting too
Tuna
1/23/2018 9:49am
dcg141 wrote:
Tuna wrote:
dcg141 wrote:
Interesting. I have not had one in the woods yet so I'm going on customers feedback. I know I have seen a flurry of aftermarket already...
Interesting. I have not had one in the woods yet so I'm going on customers feedback. I know I have seen a flurry of aftermarket already ramping up. Would not surprise me to see a different head soon and I'm sure JD will have a ECU tuner out soon. Does yours not clean at lower RPM or just not responsive?
It’s not mine, it’s a friends. He’s been running the 250 Husky a lot in Europe. He has a KTM at home.
The bottom end just feels weak and slow to respond. I guess maybe some might like that. An extra rear tooth seems to help. I know they are trying hard to dial in the 300. My buddy with the bikes is pretty tight with Jarvis and they have been trying to get it dialed, experiment with gearing, etc to make it work as well as the carb 300. His mileage has been worse on the injected model vs carb. I think they need a few model years to get it where it needs to be. Curious if Sherco will release an injected model next year. Beta may be another 2 years.
dcg141
1/23/2018 9:56am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 10:00am
Sherco had a running model that they released video of a couple of years ago. Not sure what they have going on with production. It's my understanding that everyone riding for KTM/Husqvarna on 2 strokes must ride the TPI bike this year. That should help the consumer in the long run. KTM must be pretty confident in the system to go that route.
Tuna
1/23/2018 10:17am
dcg141 wrote:
Sherco had a running model that they released video of a couple of years ago. Not sure what they have going on with production. It's my...
Sherco had a running model that they released video of a couple of years ago. Not sure what they have going on with production. It's my understanding that everyone riding for KTM/Husqvarna on 2 strokes must ride the TPI bike this year. That should help the consumer in the long run. KTM must be pretty confident in the system to go that route.
Yup, that’s the deal with Factory riders. Not a lot of 300 TPI bikes around right now. You will see improvements on the 19 model based on those racing test mules no doubt.
Sherco is waiting on KTM and Beta will be doing the same. Hopefully the hardware works out. Some Beta owners have had problems with their oil pumps though to be fair it’s not the same set up as the KTM.
byke
1/23/2018 10:35am
How far back does one need to go to get away from integrated circuit electronics on a dirt bike? Something from the 1970's with points?

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 2 Stroke SX line have TPI?

The Latest