2019 KTM - 150sx

IanMac138
Edited Date/Time 8/5/2019 6:16am
What's up everyone. New to the Vital Forum, as I'm just getting back into MX after a 10-year hiatus.

Thought I'd start off this thread with a little backstory for anyone out there just getting back into MX after a few years off, particularly those who were once considered rippers in their youth and now feeling older in age, might be struggling with what bike to get back on in order to get back into the game...it's a long-winded one but bare with me. I'm excited and hope to inspire anyone getting back on a bike like I am.

Before my 10 years off, I had been riding/racing since age of 5 years old (1985) until the age of 28 (raced So Cal MX series, CMCC etc) when I compound fractured my femur in two places on a big step down road gap in Beaumont, CA., while also breaking it into over 25 pieces (no exaggeration). I almost died from it, considering a slice of bone missed my femoral artery by less than 2 mm's. Spent 13 days in the hospital to recover and 12 months of post-recovery including intense physical therapy that took the life out of riding for me. Before that I had broken 3 ribs, 3 collarbones, sternum, wrist, 2 fingers and a gnarly contusion of the hip which left me unable to walk for 3 weeks (thanks, Stenberg) and within all those, I had 1 complete knee reconstruction (MCL and PCL Cadaver replacement). But at 28, the femur was the final straw. It LITERALLY broke me and put out the fire and passion for riding that had burned for over 20 years. It was so gnarly and a pretty dark time in my life, considering how MX was a fundamental part of who I am, and to be that broken and just brushed death by a few millimeters, simply devastated me to no end. It's been a big black hole in my life ever since...

Reason I mention this all, is because I thought I was done after the femur (still have a slight limp with the hip-to-knee Ti rod and 8 screws) but no. I said FUCK THAT. It might have taken 10 years...but I'm back. And it feels AWESOME.

I missed this sport so much, and like I've told all my friends and family who ask "why would you start riding again after all those years of racing, injury etc when you have 2 kids, a wonderful wife, a great job and beautiful house!?" I tell them that they will never understand, no matter how hard I try to explain. It's my life, it's part of who I am and there was a dark void that was missing the past decade that couldn't be replaced with racing mountain bikes, snowboarding, skydiving whatever... So here I am, 37 years old and ready to shred...

Just picked up my first bike in 10 years. 2019 KTM 150sx. My last 3 bikes before I got broke off in '08 were a '04 YZ125, '05 and '07 YZ250. Decided to get back on a glorified 125 (150sx) for 'my comeback' because I always rode a 125 like it was my last day on earth and enjoyed every second of it. I could ride a 250 good and jump it even better, especially in the hills and desert, but I could RACE a 125 and beat dudes on 250 2 strokes and even 450f's no problem (most of the time).

As I began to think about what bike I was going to jump back on, I heard numerous other rider friends, shop salesman etc. try and tell me to get on a "4 stroke, or at LEAST a 250 2 stroke" despite letting them know that I had ridden for over 20 years semi-professionally, and could most likely jump on a bike today and school the shit out of them. Despite all the misdirected persuasion, I went with the 150sx. And I couldn't be more stoked.

I guess my point is, even my age of 37 being 170lbs, a 150sx feels just right for me to get back into the game and re-ignite the fire that got extinguished for whatever reason. Especially if you just want to have fun racing and ripping freeride spots/jumps when you can. Hopefully if anyone else on this board is in the same boat I am or have been, and are thinking/trying to get back into the MX game, you too can pick whatever bike you want no matter what anyone says (rider, salesman, goonbot, poser, friend etc). You do you, and just enjoy the fire again.

Ok. Hate to make my first post such a rambler, but was important to me in case anyone in my shoes were on here and might get something out of it. I'll be becoming more active on the board, but will always bring positivity and encouragement when I do. Too much hate out here in the MX universe. Too much hate in the world in general. If we all ride MX, we all believe in the same thing. We are all a unique bunch. A brother/sister hood. Lets start treating each other like it. Hate sucks, love rips 6th gear wide open. Don't forget it.

Now for a few pics of the beauty I just rolled into my garage. Was just built out of the crate and fired up on first kick. Ripped it down the street a few times (break-in style) and FELT ALIVE AGAIN! GOD BLESS MX AND 2 STROKES.

Full bike review to come after this weekend when I get it out on the track. Stay tuned...
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/17/2018 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2018 10:43pm
You the man, let’s link up and ride!
IanMac138
9/17/2018 11:03pm
Yeah Joe! Let's do this. Let me know when you're back up in the PNW. I'm so down. PM me. Also, tell June I say what up!
fanger
9/18/2018 1:22am
I love everything about this, great work mate. Have fun and most importantly stay safe!

The Shop

ryanxmx31
9/18/2018 7:54am
They are alot of fun, ihave a 2015, the 2019 is supposed to be improved alot even over the 2018
kage173
9/18/2018 9:37am
Genuine question for you OP, since it's a serious post - My son is 5 and has been riding a P-dub for a year. He absolutely loves it. We ride either moto or a bicycle every single day. I rode at his age, but then got into soccer and then back into moto in my late 20s. So far it's been all moto for my son, but after hearing about Swink and then lately Tyler Evans battling drugs and then Jesse Nelson paralyzed it has started to give me second thoughts about whether I'm doing the right thing for my kid. So your post is timely.

My question is, given what you went through, would you do it again or would you have been just as happy playing soccer/baseball/tennis and being good at that and never having any real injuries?

**Separate not so serious question - do you know Chael Sonnen?
IanMac138
9/18/2018 7:36pm
kage173 wrote:
Genuine question for you OP, since it's a serious post - My son is 5 and has been riding a P-dub for a year. He absolutely...
Genuine question for you OP, since it's a serious post - My son is 5 and has been riding a P-dub for a year. He absolutely loves it. We ride either moto or a bicycle every single day. I rode at his age, but then got into soccer and then back into moto in my late 20s. So far it's been all moto for my son, but after hearing about Swink and then lately Tyler Evans battling drugs and then Jesse Nelson paralyzed it has started to give me second thoughts about whether I'm doing the right thing for my kid. So your post is timely.

My question is, given what you went through, would you do it again or would you have been just as happy playing soccer/baseball/tennis and being good at that and never having any real injuries?

**Separate not so serious question - do you know Chael Sonnen?
What's up Kage173,

First off, I completely understand where you are coming from. Particularly with the safety and concern for your son. I have a 4 year old boy myself, and he's already scaring the living shit out of me because I can tell he has my genes. Not much fear, has incredible balance on a bicycle (strider) and want's to be just like his daddy. Now I understand how my dad and mom felt when I was that age after my father opened Pandora's box and got me my first Honda Z50R. He rode motocross and has said that he thought that he would get me a bike and I would get over it, but after my first 100 ft. riding down a desert trail, he realized "oh shit, what the F have I done". It was game over from there. Now I'm living the same 'uh oh' moment with my son...Talk about life coming back full-circle.

To answer your question, "given what you went through, would you do it again or would you have been just as happy playing soccer/baseball/tennis and being good at that and never having any real injuries?" - - -

I would. No doubt about it. While growing up and racing MX, I also participated in stick/ball sports. I was born a natural athlete. I played football, baseball, soccer and lacrosse. I did all them even into High School. I would do the sports thing during the week and a few days in between, skip a practice or two and go to the track to get ready for the weekend race. I'd even get done with a big Lacrosse or Football game on a Friday night, wake up Saturday am and race all weekend. I just loved to compete, no matter what.
I never really thought about it because I was just born an active kid who loved to play. I got hurt playing football and lacrosse a lot as well, although nowhere near as serious as riding but I can tell you I got more than a few concussions playing sports like Football and Lacrosse. I think it's all relative. Every sport is inherently dangerous in their own ways. Tennis? Not so sure about how you get hurt doing that, at least on a level of being in a cast or hospital ER visit. haha.

But like you are experiencing, I see my son want to get very heavily involved into Moto, especially now with a new bike in the garage, and it scares me. It's almost as if I wish he doesn't have the determination, perseverance or skill that I was born with to ride MX. But I think he may. I think my philosophy is this (and I'm sure my wife has a total different one than I do), is that a kid needs to be able to do what they feel instinctively they want to do. If your son loves riding Moto, then go with it. What happens will happen. If he begins to excel or feel a tug towards more traditional sports, he will go that direction and you can breathe a sigh of relief. But that's for him to decide. Trying to protect him from what his internal heart and soul is directing him towards will be a losing battle. Who knows...maybe his first legit spill on a MX bike will make him say "fuck this, I like soccer way more". Or maybe it will make him want to be better and become more determined (as was my case at that age). You just don't know because as our little men grow, they need to discover that for themselves, and I truly believe they will. If my son decides to want to rip MX and is good at it, well then I'm going to do everything I can to let that passion and internal fire flower and develope further. If he chooses to do ballet, or baseball, or soccer, or theater, or be a mathematician etc etc. instead, then I will do everything I can to help him be happy, support him and be the best he can at that. If he does decide to go balls out in MX, then I will make damn sure he has the best helmet, gear and protection as possible and guide him through my own personal experience of riding at that young age i.e. "hey John, I know you want to hit that 80 ft. kicker like the other kids on 125's, but you ain't there yet, no matter how bad you want to...give it a little time and just get that 45 ft. gap dialed first so that you can do it with your eyes closed. Then let's talk about how the big gap is going to feel." That kind of shit.

I guess that's my best answer and somewhat advice I could give to you, as a fellow parent. It's hard, man. Real hard. Nothing worse than seeing your kid hurt. My parents saw me get hurt so much and it killed them every time, especially my mother, but she and my father knew they were powerless to stop me from getting back up and going at it even harder. If they would of tried to make me stop, or controlled that fire I had it would of made me resent them in some way. And I wouldn't have learned so many life lessons that I did, such as how to persevere through losing, getting hurt, being humble when I would win nor would it have provided me so many laughs, cries, new friendships and experiences that riding MX provided.

That being said, I gained the same life lessons from playing traditional sports as I did from racing MX through the most formative years of my life. They all made me who I am today - A hard worker, never a quitter, working through pain no matter what and being strong-willed / minded. And most of all, a good person because of all the ups and downs I experienced at a young age. It teaches you a lot about life and sets you up for the real world, even though at a young age you don't know it. That's the most important part of all of it.

Your boy will be fine, you just guide him where you see fit. You sound like a great dad who is concerned for his boy, but also wants them to thrive. So you're already winning at the dad game. There are no rule books for this parenting shit. Hardest job in the world. Throw you kids desire to ride MX into it, and well, it gets even harder. But that's the fun of it. You'll learn just as much as your son through this journey as he will himself. Cheers my man and best of luck. I'll need a pep talk myself sooner or later. HA!
kage173
9/19/2018 4:29am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 4:31am
Thanks bro.This is just what I needed. We've been pretty full bore headed the moto route since he was born, but just the past couple weeks it has really started to hit me what is about to happen.

BTW - I ride a KTM 250SX and love it. But I rode a 150 a few weeks ago and can't get it out of my head. Such a great bike. Enjoy and welcome back to moto.
opyguy
9/19/2018 6:48am
4th paragraph from IAN"S response to KAGE should be pinned for all parents...great advice. I'm trying to "push" my kid into sports he's good at (Lax, Soccer) and away from what he loves....basketball and baseball. My buddies have all told me the same thing (let him do what he loves), you just reinforced it. Again, nothing to do w/moto, but just great, great advice.
blaze 57
9/19/2018 8:35am
Sweet bike! I would love a 150! Actually probably sell my 450 in the next couple yrs and get one since 80% time I professional practice and the 150 would be perfect. I have a home built track that is geared more towards smaller two strokes.
TeamGreen
9/19/2018 8:46am Edited Date/Time 9/19/2018 7:36pm
Great story.

Excellent bike to "go back to the track" on.
IanMac138
9/19/2018 4:37pm
kage173 wrote:
Thanks bro.This is just what I needed. We've been pretty full bore headed the moto route since he was born, but just the past couple weeks...
Thanks bro.This is just what I needed. We've been pretty full bore headed the moto route since he was born, but just the past couple weeks it has really started to hit me what is about to happen.

BTW - I ride a KTM 250SX and love it. But I rode a 150 a few weeks ago and can't get it out of my head. Such a great bike. Enjoy and welcome back to moto.
Thanks man. Really excited to be back. Can't wait to rip the 150. Feel like a kid again I'm so excited. Best of luck with your boy, you got this.
braaap707
9/19/2018 5:03pm
Good pick brother. You won't be disappointed. I've had a 12 150, 16 125, ridden a few 17 and 18's. Currently ride a tc250. Rode the 19 150 at the KTM demo day and came away with it being my hands down favorite out of all the 2019 ktms and making me wanna pull the trigger on a new 150 to put next to my big bike. It pulls great and seems like they got everything figured out with this new design bike. Put a silencer on it of your choosing, v force reedcage jet it set fork pressure and live happily ever after. Oh and don't be afraid to play with the power valve adjuster if you want some more umph ?
IanMac138
9/19/2018 5:09pm
braaap707 wrote:
Good pick brother. You won't be disappointed. I've had a 12 150, 16 125, ridden a few 17 and 18's. Currently ride a tc250. Rode the...
Good pick brother. You won't be disappointed. I've had a 12 150, 16 125, ridden a few 17 and 18's. Currently ride a tc250. Rode the 19 150 at the KTM demo day and came away with it being my hands down favorite out of all the 2019 ktms and making me wanna pull the trigger on a new 150 to put next to my big bike. It pulls great and seems like they got everything figured out with this new design bike. Put a silencer on it of your choosing, v force reedcage jet it set fork pressure and live happily ever after. Oh and don't be afraid to play with the power valve adjuster if you want some more umph ?
Thanks man! Super stoked.

Let me ask you, I know the past 2 year 150's had to be fine-tuned off the showroom floor particularly with the jetting. Wondering if that's still the case with the '19? I was planning on hitting up MXA to see if they have had any time on the 150 so far to see if they recommend anything right off the bat. Same with the reeds, know that the bike in the past had issues with reeds being weak. Any extra insight you have into your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'll find all this out for myself Saturday when I take it out for it's first really rip and get a feel for what I need to do or where some weak points are, but just curious about you calling out these adjustments after a demo.

Cheers man! Dope TC you have there as well. Tasty.
DynoDan22
9/19/2018 8:49pm
I have a '18 150 and recommend two important things: 40:1 premix. I've seen a lot of people struggle with jetting because the mix at 32:1 and they can never get the jetting right. Once I went to 40:1, the standard jetting and jetting chart in the manual was very close. I use Motorex (here we go with the premix wars....lol) and I have done two top ends on my bike and each time I was amazed at how little wear there was. It's the cleanest oil I've run so far. The '17 125/150 called for 60:1 but KTM went back to 40:1 for '18 and 19.

The second thing is the reeds. It seems hit and miss but I am would strongly recommend the V force 4. Chances are your factory reeds have gaps in them (like my last two KTM 2 strokes did). Just change to a VF4 and be done with it.

Enjoy the 150! I love my 150 and its probably one of the most fun mx bikes made in my opinion. Every time I ride it I amazed at the power, how light it feels, and most importantly how fun it is to ride. Glad you're back riding! Have fun and be safe!!
braaap707
9/20/2018 8:31am
IanMac138 wrote:
Thanks man! Super stoked. Let me ask you, I know the past 2 year 150's had to be fine-tuned off the showroom floor particularly with the...
Thanks man! Super stoked.

Let me ask you, I know the past 2 year 150's had to be fine-tuned off the showroom floor particularly with the jetting. Wondering if that's still the case with the '19? I was planning on hitting up MXA to see if they have had any time on the 150 so far to see if they recommend anything right off the bat. Same with the reeds, know that the bike in the past had issues with reeds being weak. Any extra insight you have into your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'll find all this out for myself Saturday when I take it out for it's first really rip and get a feel for what I need to do or where some weak points are, but just curious about you calling out these adjustments after a demo.

Cheers man! Dope TC you have there as well. Tasty.
I felt that the 19 ran much better then the previous years. If you find yourself running out of power up top jump up to a bigger main. Otherwise the stock pilot and needle should get you in ballpark. Dont be afraid to play with the air screw to fine tune. As far as the 19 and reeds go i cant say ive heard any have problems but id still highly suggest v force cage. Stock reeds havent been the best in past years as well as reed cages could warp over time.
navalseabee
9/20/2018 10:47am
Congrats on the new bike and welcome back, my 18 150sx is probably my favorite bike I've ever owned. 100 hours on her now and still ticking like new.
oldhondafart
9/20/2018 1:00pm
Has anyone run vp t2 in the 150? I'm picking up a 19 ktm 150sx tomorrow and had my son get me 5 gallons of it.
AJ565
9/20/2018 1:09pm
Has anyone run vp t2 in the 150? I'm picking up a 19 ktm 150sx tomorrow and had my son get me 5 gallons of it.
I run it in a 250sx. You might have to richen up the jetting some. I had to add about 3% to my jetting going from C12 to u4.4 and T2.
oldhondafart
9/20/2018 1:21pm
Best of luck with your 150. I'm planning to try to get a first ride on mine Saturday. Like you I'm coming off 4 fractured ribs that put a blood clot on my lung. It's been a year since that. I have rode my 450 since then just want to get back to my old school small bore roots! PS this 150 is a birthday present to myself 53 and not gonna give up this sport. Stay safe and keep us up on the new bike. I will do the same!
oldhondafart
9/20/2018 1:33pm
AJ565 wrote:
I run it in a 250sx. You might have to richen up the jetting some. I had to add about 3% to my jetting going from...
I run it in a 250sx. You might have to richen up the jetting some. I had to add about 3% to my jetting going from C12 to u4.4 and T2.
Thank you. I will pick a spare plug up just in case. I will also see what fuel/oil they put in it at the dealer. probably run what is in it till its empty. Then try the vp t2. see if its worth the 80 bucks.
AJ565
9/20/2018 1:39pm
AJ565 wrote:
I run it in a 250sx. You might have to richen up the jetting some. I had to add about 3% to my jetting going from...
Thank you. I will pick a spare plug up just in case. I will also see what fuel/oil they put in it at the dealer. probably...
Thank you. I will pick a spare plug up just in case. I will also see what fuel/oil they put in it at the dealer. probably run what is in it till its empty. Then try the vp t2. see if its worth the 80 bucks.
It is for sure worth it. I noticed a big difference in the power of my bike with it when run back to back.
DynoDan22
9/20/2018 3:39pm
I run 50/50 pump/C12 and have been super happy with jetting/no detonation/engine life. T2 is good also.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/20/2018 6:46pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
I run 50/50 pump/C12 and have been super happy with jetting/no detonation/engine life. T2 is good also.
+1 on the pump/c12. In my 2016 I’m running 50:1 ratio with JD Jet kit.Evil
DynoDan22
9/20/2018 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2018 8:28pm
I have a Keihin from a '16 150 on mine. Love it! Smile
Dcross829
9/21/2018 9:44am
Is anyone else getting a lot of fuel come out of the gas cap overflow? It’s all over the frame after every ride.
Mx746
9/21/2018 11:37am
Great post, welcome back. Go easy for a while to ensure a good transition. Drop into the "older vet guys and 125's " thread if you get a chance, they wont mind a 150 Im sure Wink

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM - 150sx

The Latest