2019 CRF450R “Works Edition”

wreckitrandy
5/24/2018 7:33am
seth505 wrote:
Tune in this week..... will the Vital faithful hate on it (like KTM) or welcome the expensive bike with open arms since it's a Honda....Don't miss...
Tune in this week..... will the Vital faithful hate on it (like KTM) or welcome the expensive bike with open arms since it's a Honda....Don't miss it!
HenryA wrote:
Haha, the same people who always complain about how KTM ruins the sport with their expensive factory editions is in here defending the heavier and even...
Haha, the same people who always complain about how KTM ruins the sport with their expensive factory editions is in here defending the heavier and even more expensive Honda. Hilarious.
I like how it's ok to quote MXA if it suits you, they said it makes the most power,,, but if MXA tells you the weight makes a difference and the KTM is a better bike, then they're just brainwashing you! Everyone needs to justify their preference, I guess. Rock on...
ob
5/24/2018 7:34am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 7:35am
Hand ported cylinder and different ECU mapping are cool. Everything else is Honda trying to catch up. I would hope the numbers come off separately like ktm started doing.
WarrenMX
5/24/2018 7:46am
ob wrote:
Hand ported cylinder and different ECU mapping are cool. Everything else is Honda trying to catch up. I would hope the numbers come off separately like...
Hand ported cylinder and different ECU mapping are cool. Everything else is Honda trying to catch up. I would hope the numbers come off separately like ktm started doing.
Yeah I hope the numbers come off too. I like the HRC graphics, they're a lot more subtle compared to the KTM FE graphics, but I'd want to run my own number or no number.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/24/2018 7:57am
ob wrote:
Hand ported cylinder and different ECU mapping are cool. Everything else is Honda trying to catch up. I would hope the numbers come off separately like...
WarrenMX wrote:
Yeah I hope the numbers come off too. I like the HRC graphics, they're a lot more subtle compared to the KTM FE graphics, but I'd...
Yeah I hope the numbers come off too. I like the HRC graphics, they're a lot more subtle compared to the KTM FE graphics, but I'd want to run my own number or no number.
The numbers on the bike we saw were removable.

The Shop

WarrenMX
5/24/2018 8:03am
ML512 wrote:
The numbers on the bike we saw were removable.
Sweet!
jsmi33966
5/24/2018 9:10am
GPrider wrote:
some of you guys are so uneducated. Ok, so if Honda put on a single and saved three pounds would that make you even one tenth...
some of you guys are so uneducated. Ok, so if Honda put on a single and saved three pounds would that make you even one tenth of a second faster? You just sound stupid at this point. MXA has brainwashed you to think pound per pound is apples to apples with different manufacturers. No sense in even trying to explain to you guys. Go buy your ktms because you are so much faster on them due to the light weight. I have no idea how all these honda's, yamaha's, kawi's and zuks win races all over this planet on a weekly basis knowing that they are sooo heavy. Fricken tards, you just sound stupid at this point. Your probably the same guys who start bubba or mookie comeback threads on a weekly basis. Sad this is our future
Yes single exhaust would make you faster and cheeper! You're the "freaking tard"

I have a mentally handicap son. Can you please chose a different word.
visser62
5/24/2018 9:11am
I like how it's ok to quote MXA if it suits you, they said it makes the most power,,, but if MXA tells you the weight...
I like how it's ok to quote MXA if it suits you, they said it makes the most power,,, but if MXA tells you the weight makes a difference and the KTM is a better bike, then they're just brainwashing you! Everyone needs to justify their preference, I guess. Rock on...
Power is quantifiable. "Better" isn't.
jsmi33966
5/24/2018 9:13am
Because the price and performance of this bike especially through competition impacts ridership. And our ridership is in the grave!

I only hate this bike because I love this sport.

And dual exhaust is just plain fucking stupid.
Kenny Lingus
5/24/2018 9:15am
Must've missed the part where everyone is being forced to buy one.
JBecker 72
5/24/2018 9:45am
jsmi33966 wrote:
Because the price and performance of this bike especially through competition impacts ridership. And our ridership is in the grave! I only hate this bike because...
Because the price and performance of this bike especially through competition impacts ridership. And our ridership is in the grave!

I only hate this bike because I love this sport.

And dual exhaust is just plain fucking stupid.
#triggered
hbdesigns913
5/24/2018 9:47am
I'm buying one if the dealer can get it for me. Why does everyone have to justify their decision or opinion. I want it cause it looks cool. Who cares. No one needs a corvette either.
mxtech1
5/24/2018 10:45am
Savages.....

Increasing profit margin course #101 now in session.
Big E
5/24/2018 10:58am
According to this thread KTM invented the motorcycle...
mxpro252
5/24/2018 11:04am
I'm buying one if the dealer can get it for me. Why does everyone have to justify their decision or opinion. I want it cause it...
I'm buying one if the dealer can get it for me. Why does everyone have to justify their decision or opinion. I want it cause it looks cool. Who cares. No one needs a corvette either.
Is there any other way to let people know how big my hog must be?
activeMX
5/24/2018 11:40am
Titan1 wrote:
I know others pointed it out...but I was hoping for some serious weight savings on the WE...shame.
That would imply you knew it was coming...
5/24/2018 12:00pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Probably be about $16 k in Australia... I'm not impressed with the bling
With only 500 made there won't be two many, or any, over here in the lucky country.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
5/24/2018 1:15pm
Fraser wrote:
Its great you're finally catching up. We've had special edition models in the UK for years. My '17 crf450r Buildbase edition came with a whole spare...
Its great you're finally catching up. We've had special edition models in the UK for years. My '17 crf450r Buildbase edition came with a whole spare plastic set with Buildbase graphics, black/red Talon Wheels, Yoshi pipes and all the standard parts as well. (so 2 sets of wheels, plastics and exhausts).

For 2018 you could have a Ken Roczen replica or a Dave Thorpe replica. Both good with different specs.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/crf450r/specification…

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/off-road/crf450r/specification…

Main difference apart from the graphics is the Dave Thorpe has Akrapovic pipes instead of Yoshi and gold Talons instead of black.

Thats really cool, never knew this. That bike really looks good too.
PJRAUS
5/24/2018 3:51pm
Seems to be a lot of argument over weight and what that means to lap times for an average guy.. My take on it.
After a lifetime of two strokes, I got a runout deal on a 17 yz 450 a year ago, thought I should at least try a modern 450 since the last 4 stroke I raced was an 01 yz 426.
Coming straight off my yz 125 onto that 450, two things stood out immediately....massive power by comparison and massive weight.
My very first ride on the 450 was comical, if someone had video'd me , it would make the funniest home video show for certain!
A cold morning, heavy frost and slightly uneven ground, lifted the 450 off the stand and got on , made the big jump upwards to get in a good kick on the kick starter, this necessitates that my left foot come right off the ground to do it, I'm a real shortarse, as I landed back down on my left foot, it slipped on the frosty grass, down into a slight dip in the ground and I just kept going. Once that 238 pounds , more with the gas tank half full, started to bear down on my left leg, I just kept going! No way I could hold it up having lost my balance like that. Over I went , collecting the end of my fold up table on which my tool box was sitting, it probably weighs 45 kilos... the legs on that end folded up and as I hit the ground shoulder first the tool box slid off the collapsing table right onto my head pinning me to the ground!
240 pound bike on my leg and a 45 kilo tool box on my head....took a bit to extricate myself from that one!
I actually just about pissed myself laughing ! It was hilarious really!
After that great start ,away I went...I immediately noticed just how heavy that bike feels as it landed from a decent jump onto flat ground.

My first race on the 450 was a mudder, I fluffed the start every Moto spinning up on a very wet and slippery concrete start pad, however I was able to make lots of passes and get in the top 5 in my class, only to lose the front end in a corner, go down and then struggle to get the bike upright and then lose all the places I made up trying to restart it.

Having done a fair few laps on it now on a few different tracks, I like the bike...the power is awesome, I can jump anything I want on it easy and if I downside the jump right I don't feel that big thud you get on a flat landing.
In motion on a groomed track, I don't feel the weight, in a race situation on a super rough and slippery track I notice the weight a bit more but all up the weight is no big issue in motion but a massive problem when having to re start the bike after a fall in a race situation. I race and I'm trying to improve, that's all that matters to me, not just riding for recreation on a practice track.
If I keep this 450 I may have to go for a rekluse clutch.
I wish to God I'd waited and bought the 18 450 with e start!
It would be interesting to get a chance to race a 18 KTM 450 and a 18 yz 450 back to back on a state title race day where the track is gonna get destroyed by 450's. Never ridden either bike but I do know that just riding both bikes at a practise track on a practise day wouldn't really tell me much...everything is different when you are racing.
In that way I might get a better idea as to weather the 20 pound weight difference really means much.

I wouldn't ever buy a Honda in any case...they don't make two strokes and from what I've read, Honda is mostly the reason why they won't allow displacement parity between two strokes and 4 in AMA pro racing...would pack their bags and leave the sport apparently , probably a bluff anyway......
If they are going to have that attitude, then I will never even consider buying a Honda
Allowing parity would not hurt them or any of the other manufacturers..it's a selfish and childish attitude, holding the sport to ransom when the sport needs the likely "feel good " boost that fair rules might give it
kiwifan
5/24/2018 4:32pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Seems to be a lot of argument over weight and what that means to lap times for an average guy.. My take on it. After a...
Seems to be a lot of argument over weight and what that means to lap times for an average guy.. My take on it.
After a lifetime of two strokes, I got a runout deal on a 17 yz 450 a year ago, thought I should at least try a modern 450 since the last 4 stroke I raced was an 01 yz 426.
Coming straight off my yz 125 onto that 450, two things stood out immediately....massive power by comparison and massive weight.
My very first ride on the 450 was comical, if someone had video'd me , it would make the funniest home video show for certain!
A cold morning, heavy frost and slightly uneven ground, lifted the 450 off the stand and got on , made the big jump upwards to get in a good kick on the kick starter, this necessitates that my left foot come right off the ground to do it, I'm a real shortarse, as I landed back down on my left foot, it slipped on the frosty grass, down into a slight dip in the ground and I just kept going. Once that 238 pounds , more with the gas tank half full, started to bear down on my left leg, I just kept going! No way I could hold it up having lost my balance like that. Over I went , collecting the end of my fold up table on which my tool box was sitting, it probably weighs 45 kilos... the legs on that end folded up and as I hit the ground shoulder first the tool box slid off the collapsing table right onto my head pinning me to the ground!
240 pound bike on my leg and a 45 kilo tool box on my head....took a bit to extricate myself from that one!
After that great start ,away I went...I immediately noticed just how heavy that bike feels as it landed from a decent jump onto flat ground.

My first race on the 450 was a mudder, I fluffed the start every Moto spinning up on a very wet and slippery concrete start pad, however I was able to make lots of passes and get in the top 5 in my class, only to lose the front end in a corner, go down and then struggle to get the bike upright and then lose all the places I made up trying to restart it.

Having done a fair few laps on it now on a few different tracks, I like the bike...the power is awesome, I can jump anything I want on it easy and if I downside the jump right I don't feel that big thud you get on a flat landing.
In motion on a groomed track, I don't feel the weight, in a race situation on a super rough and slippery track I notice the weight a bit more but all up the weight is no big issue in motion but a massive problem when having to re start the bike after a fall in a race situation. I race and I'm trying to improve, that's all that matters to me, not just riding for recreation on a practice track.
It would be interesting to get a chance to race a 18 KTM 450 and a 18 yz 450 back to back on a state title race day where the track is gonna get destroyed by 450's. Never ridden either bike but I do know that just riding both bikes at a practise track on a practise day wouldn't really tell me much...everything is different when you are racing.
In that way I might get a better idea as to weather the 20 pound weight difference really means much.

I wouldn't ever buy a Honda in any case...they don't make two strokes and from what I've read, Honda is mostly the reason why they won't allow displacement parity between two strokes and 4 in AMA pro racing...would pack their bags and leave the sport apparently , probably a bluff anyway......
If they are going to have that attitude, then I will never even consider buying a Honda
Allowing parity would not hurt them or any of the other manufacturers..it's a selfish and childish attitude, holding the sport to ransom when the sport needs the likely "feel good " boost that fair rules might give it
I think you need to take a chill pill, remember it wasnt Honda who started the whole 4 stroke revolution, they might have a say in the rules but equally the others no doubt do as well. To say they have a childish and self attitude when you dont really know if they are blocking 2 strokes is funny....perhaps we need to stick to the OP than go off on 2 stroke tangents.
mxb2
5/24/2018 4:56pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Seems to be a lot of argument over weight and what that means to lap times for an average guy.. My take on it. After a...

kiwifan wrote:
I think you need to take a chill pill, remember it wasnt Honda who started the whole 4 stroke revolution, they might have a say in...
I think you need to take a chill pill, remember it wasnt Honda who started the whole 4 stroke revolution, they might have a say in the rules but equally the others no doubt do as well. To say they have a childish and self attitude when you dont really know if they are blocking 2 strokes is funny....perhaps we need to stick to the OP than go off on 2 stroke tangents.
X2, lotta people mad at honda. Lol. Should be mad at yamaha. . And they own hondas, cant be that mad.
Frank
5/24/2018 5:04pm
PJRAUS wrote:
With only 500 made there won't be two many, or any, over here in the lucky country.
There won't be any available period if they only make 500. Looks more like a publicity stunt than a product launch. I would buy one in a heart beat. Called my local dealer where I bought 2016 KTM FE and 2017 Honda CRF450. They have no clue if they can get one. Turns out the world knew about it before them. Seems suspect to me. More marketing than meat.
JBecker 72
5/24/2018 5:07pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Frank wrote:
There won't be any available period if they only make 500. Looks more like a publicity stunt than a product launch. I would buy one in...
There won't be any available period if they only make 500. Looks more like a publicity stunt than a product launch. I would buy one in a heart beat. Called my local dealer where I bought 2016 KTM FE and 2017 Honda CRF450. They have no clue if they can get one. Turns out the world knew about it before them. Seems suspect to me. More marketing than meat.
Don’t they only make 500 KTM FE models a year?
Frank
5/24/2018 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2018 5:13pm
Frank wrote:
There won't be any available period if they only make 500. Looks more like a publicity stunt than a product launch. I would buy one in...
JBecker 72 wrote:
Don’t they only make 500 KTM FE models a year?
No clue. I walked in and paid deposit in 2015.5 KTM FE and 2016 KTM FE and they knew they could get it, when it would be delivered and took my money. I think KTM makes as many as they can sell but I'm not sure. They won't even take my money on the 2019 WE Honda.
Doddy
5/24/2018 5:15pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think you need to take a chill pill, remember it wasnt Honda who started the whole 4 stroke revolution, they might have a say in...
From my understanding Honda pushed the rules and threatened to exit the sport. Yamaha only showed that it could win. Honda is a big baby. Look at the Honda vs KTM stuff in MotoGP(not a huge follower). They are hellbent on banning anything 2stroke. All I am saying is there is enough info I can search for that says they(Honda) are pushing more than others on getting rid of them. Have been a while.
Eddieg15
5/24/2018 5:27pm
Frank wrote:
This trumps KTM big time. Little more money but who cares its only paper. Was going to buy the 2019 KX450 for my son but this...
This trumps KTM big time. Little more money but who cares its only paper. Was going to buy the 2019 KX450 for my son but this might change that.
Im definitely not rich lol. Dead ass broke. Wear the same clothes for 5 years. Drive a 10 year old vehicle to work. Just have my priorities in line lol.
Not
kiwifan
5/24/2018 7:02pm
kiwifan wrote:
Doddy wrote:
From my understanding Honda pushed the rules and threatened to exit the sport. Yamaha only showed that it could win. Honda is a big baby. Look...
From my understanding Honda pushed the rules and threatened to exit the sport. Yamaha only showed that it could win. Honda is a big baby. Look at the Honda vs KTM stuff in MotoGP(not a huge follower). They are hellbent on banning anything 2stroke. All I am saying is there is enough info I can search for that says they(Honda) are pushing more than others on getting rid of them. Have been a while.
but there are no 2 strokes in MotoGP .... KTM do not make 2 strokes for MotoGP.
PJRAUS
5/24/2018 7:31pm
PJRAUS wrote:

kiwifan wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
X2, lotta people mad at honda. Lol. Should be mad at yamaha. . And they own hondas, cant be that mad.
Well yes I am off on a bit of a tangent, bulk of my post was my own take on how a heavy bike affects me, the mini Honda rant is also applicable to Mich Payton who has said he doesn't want two stroke parity and the other manufacturers that oppose parity.
Would KTM, Husqvarna and Yamaha oppose parity.?..I don't know, Suzuki and Kawasaki probably yes.
Anyway, I like my four strokes, I have two now, but I will most likely go back to all two strokes in the future because I like them more.
You are right , I don't know just how much input Honda has had into opposing parity, just there's a lot of smoke on the internet about it. We have parity here in pro racing in Australia and it works fine, no one died and the world didn't end..
TeamGreen
5/24/2018 7:33pm
Still, I’ve gotta wonder...
How much a person could pay for a leftover ‘17...
And what could they do with the money they saved.
Btw, I’d get a ‘17 RX!
H4L
5/24/2018 7:40pm
Here is the MXA intro vid..

I'm surprised Honda made changes to the frame since they typically run 4 yrs. of production with models before making any major changes. Anybody know what changes were made to the AF ?

https://youtu.be/EodzhnfVkXE

Post a reply to: 2019 CRF450R “Works Edition”

The Latest