2019 CRF250R or 2019 YZ250F? Help me decide.

Related:
Create New Tag

7/24/2018 10:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/24/2018 10:42 PM

So I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on a new bike coming back from my deployment this week but can’t decide between the Honda or the Yamaha. My last bike was a 16 Crf250r and besides the air forks really liked it. Before that I had a 14 and 15 YZ250F and liked both bikes as well besides the front end feel and wide ass shrouds. Im a bit hesitant on the new Honda with the weight and the issues they’ve had but seem to have addressed for 19 (clutch basket, battery and oil starvation up top). From the 19 YZ250F first ride reviews it sounds like they made some solid improvements but it is a first year bike. So vital crew what would you get?

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/24/2018 11:03 PM

Either bike is fine, not sure yet what the 2019 CRF is like after its changes, perhaps wait and see what the media says once reviews come in the next week or so. The YZF is a great bike too.

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

7/24/2018 11:07 PM

kiwifan wrote:

Either bike is fine, not sure yet what the 2019 CRF is like after its changes, perhaps wait and see what the media says once reviews come in the next week or so. The YZF is a great bike too.

Thanks for the input, yep would like to see what they did to improve the low end on the CRF. I know the 18's got a recall/stop sale for the clutch basket issue currently.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/24/2018 11:16 PM

Ah the deployment money cool Where’d you go? My vote would be the Yamaha but that’s just my preference based on sitting on the new bikes, so I really have zero valuable input. The mapping technology is a selling point for me too

|

7/24/2018 11:22 PM

I have nothing valuable to add to the conversation, but the new Hondas look phenomenal. IMO best looking bike ever made.

|

7/24/2018 11:42 PM

YZ250F

|

7/24/2018 11:51 PM

I haven’t ridden the 19s but a good place to start is... Do you like to ride the top end of the engine or strong bottom end? I ask this because the 18s the bikes had completely opposite engine characteristics.

|

7/25/2018 12:47 AM

Kelz87 wrote:

Ah the deployment money cool Where’d you go? My vote would be the Yamaha but that’s just my preference based on sitting on the new bikes, so I really have zero valuable input. The mapping technology is a selling point for me too

Syria/Jordan border. I paid off a bunch of my student loans from prior to joining and told myself I wouldn’t spurge this deployment since I’ll be separating this time next year for grad school but I’ve been off the bike for a year and it’s killing me. I agree the WiFi mapping is pretty sweet along with all the sweet build pieces like the hydroformed one piece header.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 12:48 AM

999 wrote:

I have nothing valuable to add to the conversation, but the new Hondas look phenomenal. IMO best looking bike ever made.

Agree just looks fast and won’t look old 5 years from now. A lot going on with the YZ design.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 12:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 12:52 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I haven’t ridden the 19s but a good place to start is... Do you like to ride the top end of the engine or strong bottom end? I ask this because the 18s the bikes had completely opposite engine characteristics.

I had a 16 YZ125 as my main bike for a bit and loved it. I agree the 16 crf and yz250fs made their power down low. I liked both when I had them. The 14-15 YZ was just so vague in the front and a bit unpredictable in the rear. The 16 crf was the most easy and comfortable bike to ride but that suspension got rough. I’m a weekend warrior so don’t have a good handle on where I really settle in the powerband. I know I ran the hard smooth map on my 14-15 YZs since the stock was so abrupt off the bottom. The crf unicam defiantely needing some shifting especially out of corners going 2nd to 3rd was hard to nail down at times.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 1:39 AM

closest best dealer support.

i doubt youd be any quicker on one or the other once you got them sorted for yourself.

|

7/25/2018 2:08 AM

make1go wrote:

closest best dealer support.

i doubt youd be any quicker on one or the other once you got them sorted for yourself.

Totally agree. I'm lucky my guy has both. Right now he only has the new YZ in stock but gave me $600 of MSRP and no freight/prep which I thought wasn't too bad for a new model year bike that is gonna be in demand.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 2:09 AM

Whats cheaper and whats your favourite dealer?
Both bikes are probably equally great, but if one bike is 500$ cheaper, well then you have a slip-on for the same cost as buying the expensive one

|

7/25/2018 2:22 AM

Lastander wrote:

Whats cheaper and whats your favourite dealer?
Both bikes are probably equally great, but if one bike is 500$ cheaper, well then you have a slip-on for the same cost as buying the expensive one

Same dealer, he has both Honda and Yami's. Waiting for him to give me a quote on the CRF. Thanks for the input!

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 7:56 AM

I think the yamaha sounds like a winner. You can see the 18 450 was a massive step forward and the 19 250 sounds really good from the vital review.

Strong low-mid arguably strongest in class and another 1.5hp up top is nothing to sneeze at! Yamahas are incredibly durable too. Id probably go that way if it were me between those choices.

Id throw husky/ktm into the decision too tho!

|

7/25/2018 8:00 AM

In time the 2019 yz250f will be recognized as the best stock motocross bike of the year and possibly the decade.

|

7/25/2018 8:07 AM

Yz

|

7/25/2018 8:21 AM

I feel more comfortable on Hondas than any other bike for some reason. From the moment I sit on them.

What do you feel most comfortable on? Pick that one.

I rode an 18 CRF 250F and I am 175lbs. It wasn't sluggish down low but wasn't a YZ. The top end was awesome though.

The YZ likes to be short shifted (at least the one i owned **2016)

|

7/25/2018 8:57 AM

yz133rider wrote:

I think the yamaha sounds like a winner. You can see the 18 450 was a massive step forward and the 19 250 sounds really good from the vital review.

Strong low-mid arguably strongest in class and another 1.5hp up top is nothing to sneeze at! Yamahas are incredibly durable too. Id probably go that way if it were me between those choices.

Id throw husky/ktm into the decision too tho!

Agree. I have had a love affair with the new CRF250R until the new YZ250F came out now I'm stuck between the two, having owned both older versions in the past and liking them. I had a 16 150SX that turned me off on orange bikes.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 8:58 AM

Forty wrote:

In time the 2019 yz250f will be recognized as the best stock motocross bike of the year and possibly the decade.

? I was an early adopter of the 14 when it first came out and people looked at it funny, a few months later everyone was riding blue. I almost feel like this may be the case again with the 19.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 9:00 AM

shaffstall721 wrote:

I feel more comfortable on Hondas than any other bike for some reason. From the moment I sit on them.

What do you feel most comfortable on? Pick that one.

I rode an 18 CRF 250F and I am 175lbs. It wasn't sluggish down low but wasn't a YZ. The top end was awesome though.

The YZ likes to be short shifted (at least the one i owned **2016)

Same my 16 CRF250R and first and only Honda was the most comfortable bike I've owned besides my 125. Just wasn't a fan of the TACC forks. But the updated seat height/style, fork lugs, fender shrouds and handling characteristics of the new YZ have me wanting to try blue again as my only complaint was the front end vagueness of the older bike and sometimes squirrelly rear.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 9:09 AM

if it were me... 19 yz250f.. im actually thinking of selling my 450 for one.. and i weigh 200lbs.

|

7/25/2018 9:13 AM

yz

|

7/25/2018 9:24 AM

Yamaha

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/25/2018 9:34 AM

usafwx wrote:

So I think I’m gonna pull the trigger on a new bike coming back from my deployment this week but can’t decide between the Honda or the Yamaha. My last bike was a 16 Crf250r and besides the air forks really liked it. Before that I had a 14 and 15 YZ250F and liked both bikes as well besides the front end feel and wide ass shrouds. Im a bit hesitant on the new Honda with the weight and the issues they’ve had but seem to have addressed for 19 (clutch basket, battery and oil starvation up top). From the 19 YZ250F first ride reviews it sounds like they made some solid improvements but it is a first year bike. So vital crew what would you get?

Weight between the two should be comparable seeing that the 19' YZ250F added e-start. As a dedicated Red Rider, I still say blue is your best bet regarding 250F's: Consistently better engines and the suspension is always on point (though the 49mm Showa was great on the CRF250 in 18'). Depending on your size, the CRF may have better ergonomics (current generation YZF's still have a different feel), but the stock engine is just so unique and 125ish. As always, try to snag a ride on both and go from there. Also, Thank You for your service and enjoy whichever new scoot you grab!

|

7/25/2018 9:39 AM

crc245 wrote:

Weight between the two should be comparable seeing that the 19' YZ250F added e-start. As a dedicated Red Rider, I still say blue is your best bet regarding 250F's: Consistently better engines and the suspension is always on point (though the 49mm Showa was great on the CRF250 in 18'). Depending on your size, the CRF may have better ergonomics (current generation YZF's still have a different feel), but the stock engine is just so unique and 125ish. As always, try to snag a ride on both and go from there. Also, Thank You for your service and enjoy whichever new scoot you grab!

Serving is my honor/privilege. Thanks for the advice. I've had more blue bikes than red, 14, 15 and 16 YZ250F and YZ125. Last bike was the Honda, 16 CRF250R, I really liked it just wasn't a fan of the triple air TACC forks, super PITA. The blue bikes were extremely durable/reliable and like you mentioned goobs of power and plush suspension. The honda handled so great though in turns, just overall comfortability that I hesitate going back to blue cause that's all you ever hear is how amazingly comfortable the Red bike is for anyone. But the issues they had with the 18 and the weight, new YZ even with electric start weighs like 4 lbs less than CRF makes me a bit hesitant. Looks wise the Honda definately is a better looker. I doubt I'll be able to ride either so gonna have to close my eyes and pick one lol. Thanks for the input!

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 10:10 AM

Good to know on the weight! Those twin pipes aren't helping either CRF model, unfortunately. I don't care which side of the fence you're on regarding Ping's manscaping, but his analysis and bike reviews are typically on point:



Sounds like a solid redesign on the YZ250F.
|

7/25/2018 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2018 2:05 PM

Honda if you are a bit of a revver, Yamaha if you like more torque and mid power.
Here is my review I did for Keefer on the new Yamaha.
https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2018/7/16/2019-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression

|

7/25/2018 10:27 AM

crc245 wrote:

Good to know on the weight! Those twin pipes aren't helping either CRF model, unfortunately. I don't care which side of the fence you're on regarding Ping's manscaping, but his analysis and bike reviews are typically on point:



Sounds like a solid redesign on the YZ250F.

I’ve watched all of them. Making my decision hard for sure. The 18 crf got rave reviews too. Just heard about all the issues and makes me apprehensive on the crf.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

7/25/2018 10:29 AM

jankymike wrote:

Honda if you are a bit of a revver, Yamaha if you like more torque and mid power.
Here is my review I did for Keefer on the new Yamaha.
https://www.keeferinctesting.com/motocross-testing/2018/7/16/2019-yamaha-yz250f-first-impression

Awesome I’ll check it out man! Which one would you say handles better? Similar? I loved he way my 16 crf250r handled but my 14 yz250f also was really nice in the air.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore