2019 CRF 250 Test? Reviews?

brocsdad
Edited Date/Time 12/1/2018 11:14pm
I just had a friend call me before buying a 2019 CRF 250. He said they have them at his local dealer in SC.

I haven't seen any reviews or tests of the 19 bike. I read they made improvements to the bottom end but no official tests or reviews.

Anyone?

Thanks!
|
10/19/2018 12:20pm
What is the retail price? I was looking at an 18 but If the 19 isn’t crazy priced then I might just step up.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/19/2018 12:25pm
The media launch hasn't happened yet and I don't think we're riding them until later November...
brocsdad
10/19/2018 12:36pm
What is the retail price? I was looking at an 18 but If the 19 isn’t crazy priced then I might just step up.
$7999 but I'm sure you can find a deal if you shop around.
brocsdad
10/19/2018 12:46pm
ML512 wrote:
The media launch hasn't happened yet and I don't think we're riding them until later November...
So with the delay of the RMZ will the shootout not happen until January or February?

The Shop

dizzzi2003
10/19/2018 8:29pm
Picked ours up 2 weeks ago for our son. He says no bottom end but screams on top. He is super happy with it as it fits his riding style. Can't compare to the previous year as he was on a different brand. We have the 19 CRF450 and CRF250 and he loves both. Not much detail to share I am afraid.

Been wondering why no one has been talking about them. Actually double checked the VIN and paper work last week just to be sure I didnt accidentally walk out with an 18 model LOL
Lightning78
10/21/2018 12:45am
dizzzi2003 wrote:
Picked ours up 2 weeks ago for our son. He says no bottom end but screams on top. He is super happy with it as it...
Picked ours up 2 weeks ago for our son. He says no bottom end but screams on top. He is super happy with it as it fits his riding style. Can't compare to the previous year as he was on a different brand. We have the 19 CRF450 and CRF250 and he loves both. Not much detail to share I am afraid.

Been wondering why no one has been talking about them. Actually double checked the VIN and paper work last week just to be sure I didnt accidentally walk out with an 18 model LOL
From the sounds of your brief review report translated from your son, it sounds like they didnt change much on the 2019 crf250r as compared ti the 2018
kiwifan
10/24/2018 7:03pm
Seems strange that it is for sale in showrooms yet no press release for it yet...weird
usafwx
10/24/2018 7:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 7:32pm
I'd get a 19. 18 had a few bugs (self destructing clutch basket/plates (recall), cams locking up with oil starvation up top, battery issues, cooling problems, etc.), if you read the updates for the 19 you can tell they addressed these issues...

I actually picked up a leftover 17 last week for $4999. Dealer had an 18 for $6499, but liked my 16 alot so stuck with what I know. They werent expecting 19's till Nov.
usafwx
10/24/2018 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 7:30pm
kiwifan wrote:
Seems strange that it is for sale in showrooms yet no press release for it yet...weird
There was a press release with all the updates/pricing/etc. Just no reviews yet, unless thats what you meant.
make1go
10/24/2018 10:41pm
for a completely new bike 18/19 it hasnt set the mx scene on fire....

all that engineering on a 2 port duel exhaust engine seems a waste when it doesnt have an engine everyone raves about...

honda has its own thinking and has to get lucky for their bikes really work
usafwx
10/25/2018 2:09am
make1go wrote:
for a completely new bike 18/19 it hasnt set the mx scene on fire.... all that engineering on a 2 port duel exhaust engine seems a...
for a completely new bike 18/19 it hasnt set the mx scene on fire....

all that engineering on a 2 port duel exhaust engine seems a waste when it doesnt have an engine everyone raves about...

honda has its own thinking and has to get lucky for their bikes really work
I can see this and agreed being a Yamaha and Honda guy too. I remember when I bought my 14 YZ250F which also had a few bugs as an all new bike (shift stopper, water impeller and crank rods) the next year being a sea of new YZ250Fs at the track. Haven’t seen that with the new CRF250R.
10/25/2018 7:17am
The honda's biggest change was new chassis.

The engine - while all new - wasn't the big improvement. The engine has the layout needed to be awesome with some revisions that honda will do, but the new chassis is what was needed moving forward.

We just modified a left over 2017 250f for a local pro - I have to say - for 5k plus 3k in mods, pipes, GET ecu and suspension - it's a KILLER combo. Makes huge power with excellent torque, and is about cheaper than a new bike with no work.
H4L
10/25/2018 7:25am
usafwx wrote:
I can see this and agreed being a Yamaha and Honda guy too. I remember when I bought my 14 YZ250F which also had a few...
I can see this and agreed being a Yamaha and Honda guy too. I remember when I bought my 14 YZ250F which also had a few bugs as an all new bike (shift stopper, water impeller and crank rods) the next year being a sea of new YZ250Fs at the track. Haven’t seen that with the new CRF250R.
At the last couple of rounds Geico Honda seemed to have found good engine specs & had the 18 CRF250's running pretty good. The 250 riders had podium finishes towards the end of the nationals. JM also had good results in both SX & MX before getting hurt. I believe coming into 2019 they'll have some good data on the new engine design & be farther ahead coming into the new seasons.
usafwx
10/25/2018 7:32am
The honda's biggest change was new chassis. The engine - while all new - wasn't the big improvement. The engine has the layout needed to be...

The engine - while all new - wasn't the big improvement. The engine has the layout needed to be awesome with some revisions that honda will do, but the new chassis is what was needed moving forward.

We just modified a left over 2017 250f for a local pro - I have to say - for 5k plus 3k in mods, pipes, GET ecu and suspension - it's a KILLER combo. Makes huge power with excellent torque, and is about cheaper than a new bike with no work.
Agreed. Though the prior generation chassis was no slouch either. Even ML on the 18 review pointed out it was hard to distinguish which once was better as both had that Honda feel, the 18 just slightly etched it out between the two, though the suspension on the 18 is much better than the air forks on the prior gen, I'll even admit that. But for a new dual cam engine, I figured there would be a few years of growing pains for Honda to build reliablity into it.
usafwx
10/25/2018 7:35am
H4L wrote:
At the last couple of rounds Geico Honda seemed to have found good engine specs & had the 18 CRF250's running pretty good. The 250 riders...
At the last couple of rounds Geico Honda seemed to have found good engine specs & had the 18 CRF250's running pretty good. The 250 riders had podium finishes towards the end of the nationals. JM also had good results in both SX & MX before getting hurt. I believe coming into 2019 they'll have some good data on the new engine design & be farther ahead coming into the new seasons.
True. the new gen YZ205Fs got alot of their hype / build up when JMart and Cooper made them regular podium / championship lites bikes. I agree give it another year or two and Honda's should have a more solid platform engine wise.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/25/2018 8:29am
The honda's biggest change was new chassis. The engine - while all new - wasn't the big improvement. The engine has the layout needed to be...

usafwx wrote:
Agreed. Though the prior generation chassis was no slouch either. Even ML on the 18 review pointed out it was hard to distinguish which once was...
Agreed. Though the prior generation chassis was no slouch either. Even ML on the 18 review pointed out it was hard to distinguish which once was better as both had that Honda feel, the 18 just slightly etched it out between the two, though the suspension on the 18 is much better than the air forks on the prior gen, I'll even admit that. But for a new dual cam engine, I figured there would be a few years of growing pains for Honda to build reliablity into it.
I’d take the 18 chassis hands down. I meant the overall ergos were similar but I didn’t care too much for the 14-17 chassis.
make1go
10/25/2018 8:45am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 8:46am

yeah but buying a 19 with the hope honda will make a great 20 engine doesnt sit well with me..

even if its a good platform to build from, many wont have the wherewithall to bring it up to the class leading spec...

i cant beleive they are willing to release bikes with seemingly little development and so many fundamental flaws...

(hit me with your thumbs stuck in your assholes honda fanbois..the new stock cr250f is shit).
10/25/2018 8:54am
ML512 wrote:
I’d take the 18 chassis hands down. I meant the overall ergos were similar but I didn’t care too much for the 14-17 chassis.
Honda's always feel like honda - ergo wise.

But agreed this new chassis is much better for outdoor.

I'd make a strong arguement the old chassis is an AX monster - of course that series is dead
usafwx
10/25/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 9:38am
ML512 wrote:
Gotcha. Just remember from your review video you mentioned the 17 turned slightly better In tight situations. I’ve rode the 18 for a few laps. I do agree it handles really well suspension/chassis wise and better than the previous gen, but I don’t think the previous gen sucked either in chassis/handling dept though, at least for a novice guy. Can’t speak to those who are a bit more versed like ML when it comes to input/feel.
kiwifan
10/25/2018 1:40pm
kiwifan wrote:
usafwx wrote:
There was a press release with all the updates/pricing/etc. Just no reviews yet, unless thats what you meant.
I meant the media launch with actually riding the bikes, my bad Smile
usafwx
10/25/2018 1:41pm
kiwifan wrote:
I meant the media launch with actually riding the bikes, my bad Smile
I figured Smile man.
kiwifan
10/25/2018 1:41pm

make1go wrote:
yeah but buying a 19 with the hope honda will make a great 20 engine doesnt sit well with me.. even if its a good platform...
yeah but buying a 19 with the hope honda will make a great 20 engine doesnt sit well with me..

even if its a good platform to build from, many wont have the wherewithall to bring it up to the class leading spec...

i cant beleive they are willing to release bikes with seemingly little development and so many fundamental flaws...

(hit me with your thumbs stuck in your assholes honda fanbois..the new stock cr250f is shit).
hitting you...How do you know it has little development or fundamental flaws when no one has ridden it yet (in terms of magazine tests) ?? Seems to me your thumb is in your ass buddy
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/25/2018 1:48pm

make1go wrote:
yeah but buying a 19 with the hope honda will make a great 20 engine doesnt sit well with me.. even if its a good platform...

Why is nearly everyone of your posts an attempt at starting war with someone lately?
10/25/2018 4:29pm
brocsdad wrote:
I just had a friend call me before buying a 2019 CRF 250. He said they have them at his local dealer in SC. I haven't...
I just had a friend call me before buying a 2019 CRF 250. He said they have them at his local dealer in SC.

I haven't seen any reviews or tests of the 19 bike. I read they made improvements to the bottom end but no official tests or reviews.

Anyone?

Thanks!
I guess the reviews will come soon as Keefer just put a photo of the bike in his instagram story.
tempura
10/25/2018 5:15pm
I’d say the last gen chassis is no slouch, I really like it..as far as to not upgrade to the new model yet. The forks need work, or put a set of spring forks on and be done with it.
kiwifan
10/25/2018 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 6:21pm
tempura wrote:
I’d say the last gen chassis is no slouch, I really like it..as far as to not upgrade to the new model yet. The forks need...
I’d say the last gen chassis is no slouch, I really like it..as far as to not upgrade to the new model yet. The forks need work, or put a set of spring forks on and be done with it.
Interesting, I thought most reviews were saying the suspension was the best thing going for it and one of the best suspended bikes out there in 2018 plus it has spring forks..
usafwx
10/25/2018 6:27pm
kiwifan wrote:
Interesting, I thought most reviews were saying the suspension was the best thing going for it and one of the best suspended bikes out there in...
Interesting, I thought most reviews were saying the suspension was the best thing going for it and one of the best suspended bikes out there in 2018 plus it has spring forks..
I think he was refering to prior gen which has the Showa TACC air forks.
tempura
10/25/2018 6:31pm
tempura wrote:
I’d say the last gen chassis is no slouch, I really like it..as far as to not upgrade to the new model yet. The forks need...
kiwifan wrote:
Interesting, I thought most reviews were saying the suspension was the best thing going for it and one of the best suspended bikes out there in...
I’m talking about the 15-17 air forksWink
tempura
10/25/2018 6:36pm
I’d like to put a set of 18 forks on mine, ML mentioned they should bolt right up..or even 14crf250 spring forks are better than the 15-17 air forks. I’ve had my air forks tweaked, but still they are a pain in the ass to keep setting up each ride.
usafwx
10/25/2018 7:01pm
tempura wrote:
I’d like to put a set of 18 forks on mine, ML mentioned they should bolt right up..or even 14crf250 spring forks are better than the...
I’d like to put a set of 18 forks on mine, ML mentioned they should bolt right up..or even 14crf250 spring forks are better than the 15-17 air forks. I’ve had my air forks tweaked, but still they are a pain in the ass to keep setting up each ride.
This. Do you set yours up each moto during the day. I was and what a pain. They aren't terrible like so many say about air forks, but definately not as good as my Yamaha KYB SSS stuff was. I had a hard time last week trying to decide between the leftover 17 and leftover 18 for $1500 more. But I just wasn't comfortable with all the issues I've seen and heard with the new engine, even if the chassis and suspension are way better. Maybe in 2020, 2021 I'll be ready for a new freshie and by then any quirks should be sorted out.

Post a reply to: 2019 CRF 250 Test? Reviews?

The Latest