2019 AMA Supercross Purse- PATHETIC

AngryBear
1/9/2019 6:29am
mxracer816 wrote:
Yep, literally buy a 35 dollar pit pass and you're good to go. Never thought I'd see a local dirt track advertisement on here! Bet we've...
Yep, literally buy a 35 dollar pit pass and you're good to go. Never thought I'd see a local dirt track advertisement on here! Bet we've crossed paths at some point, you ride DeSoto any?
was LA based for years, CA and NC based for the past 15 or so. no desoto, tyler/swan was my home track forever.
JustMX
1/9/2019 10:55am
It is fun to watch some of the...um....amusing speculation on how much money feld makes and how much they should pay.

Increase the purse by cutting the days that you use for move in? Golly gosh darn why didn't feld think of that? Um, because they are probably pushed for time at most venues as it is. Dirt logistics, including restrictions on when dirt can be moved all have to be considered.

There are so many variables and expenses that many don't even think about. Some here have included things as profit for feld that probably are not. For example, most venues control concessions and keep the revenue. Some venues even control souvenir sales, handling all of them for a percentage.

The truth is that none of us know how much feld makes on these events. Even if they opened the books it wouldn't be clear. Simple accounting tricks would skew the figures to make it look like they do better or worse, whichever is to their advantage. An example would be dirt expenses. How much should be charged to sx and how much to monster jam? Half? There is a big difference between dirt requirements and track builds for the different events. 60/40? 70/30? Monster jam entertainers are probably not asking the same questions we are, so which way do you think it would go.

Even when you think you find something that you think is revealing it doesn't mean it is reality. Some one quoted the figure of $700k/day for stadium rental. They might have found that on a website somewhere. Not accurate. Move in days are a
different discounted rate.

All this varies from market to market. Now consider that feld has considerable leverage to negotiate different agreements than a promoter doing individual events.

Sx is a business. A tough business. A small business in the big picture. Here is some simple math. Feld states they do over 30 million tickets sold for their brands in a year. Sx is maybe, maybe 1 million of those. Not even 4% of their business as far.as tickets sold.

TV revenue? A lot of speculation there as well. How did it go from feld having to pay to play to figures as high as $4 mil/year? Who knows how much they make? It does seem odd that sx went from pay to play to a revenue stream even though tv ratings don't seem all that impressive. How exactly would that be structured? Does feld still have to sell ads to get their money? Is NBC basically reimbursing feld for the expense of production? Did monster just tie it in as an ad purchase commitment? Who knows?

Now the old, tired, decades old UNION arguement. Yaaaawn...... it is never going to happen in sx. There is no solidairty between roczen/tomac/webb/anderson/barcia etc, and the guys that are not making the money that the top riders do. The top guys have never, NEVER, had the same issues as a struggling privateer that has had minimal support all through their career.

If so many riders stopped coming that they couldn't fill the gate do you know what feld would do? How about take out a section of the gate so there wouldn't be empty slots and put out a press release saying that they are cutting the number of riders to improve safety and racing by eliminating lapped riders. You would still watch, and it will still look great on tv.

These are the realities of supercross. It is a niche sport, and they pay what the market supports and will get riders to race.

You can complain that feld is greedy or whatever. Make some signs and picket at an event. If there was so much money then another entity would try to move in. Some of us have been around long enough to remember the time that happened, and the time before. Neither went well. I doubt somebody would try again "for the love of the sport". It is about money, and anybody that wants to take on feld is only going to do it for the potential income. Hell, it could be youthstream and they would end up racing for no purse at all.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/9/2019 11:04am
Just curious, anyone know what the purse is for the Nationals?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
1/9/2019 11:09am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Just curious, anyone know what the purse is for the Nationals?
I've been trying to find a source for MX purse for a few years, but no luck. Interesting that the SX purse is usually publicly available but MX is not.

The Shop

1/9/2019 11:19am
EngIceDave wrote:
How much they make including contingency?

What's the MotoGP purse money? Do we agree they risk their lives?
What's the F1 purse money?
all i know is some detalis about Verstappen his 2017 contract with RedBull ..
as far as i know the riders only get paid by the teams

for a win he got 250.000 dollar
for every point 50.000 dollar bonus

so a racewin is 250.000 for the win and 1,25 milj bonus ... so 1.5 milj dollar

you would think Hamilton , Vettel etc are paid even more ...
JoePit
1/9/2019 11:19am
Why is the purse so relevant when the top guys are being paid millions? Riders making that kind of scratch are in the minority but I'm sure going down there line there is still a yearly paycheck.

The situation is what it is. Unless you are a top rider the risk to reward just isn't there Sad
mxpro252
1/9/2019 11:25am
Amazing opinions a beliefs in this thread based on the very little information that’s available, holy hell.

I totally agree that it’d be great if racers earned more and maybe Feld does have room to do so, but without seeing full financials you guys have no idea what you’re talking about.
JoePit
1/9/2019 11:38am
Why is the purse so relevant when the top guys are being paid millions? Riders making that kind of scratch are in the minority but I'm sure going down there line there is still a yearly paycheck.

The situation is what it is. Unless you are a top rider the risk to reward just isn't there Sad
drt410
1/9/2019 1:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 1:29pm
mxpro252 wrote:
Amazing opinions a beliefs in this thread based on the very little information that’s available, holy hell. I totally agree that it’d be great if racers...
Amazing opinions a beliefs in this thread based on the very little information that’s available, holy hell.

I totally agree that it’d be great if racers earned more and maybe Feld does have room to do so, but without seeing full financials you guys have no idea what you’re talking about.
The purse info is available and the thread is talking about the purse so isnt that the relevant info?

Anyways the mfg/team are the ones who pay the big bucks. Still though riders are making well into 150k on top of everything else for being a podium guy all year just in purse money. Thats definitely fair.

Then when you take into account last place at every race is 32k thats reasonable.
Johnny Depp
1/9/2019 2:33pm
The question is really, what is in it for Feld? I would guess there are at least 20,000 empty seats at every stadium times 17 races. Add about $50 a pop for a ticket average that’s a lot of zeros. If they could pay talent to fill those seats it would be worth paying for it. Like getting Dungey out of retirement. I can’t think of anything else that would fill those seats and make it worthwhile for them.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
1/9/2019 2:51pm
The question is really, what is in it for Feld? I would guess there are at least 20,000 empty seats at every stadium times 17 races...
The question is really, what is in it for Feld? I would guess there are at least 20,000 empty seats at every stadium times 17 races. Add about $50 a pop for a ticket average that’s a lot of zeros. If they could pay talent to fill those seats it would be worth paying for it. Like getting Dungey out of retirement. I can’t think of anything else that would fill those seats and make it worthwhile for them.
"The question is really, what is in it for Feld?"

Nothing. That's why the purses are relatively small and rarely change.

kkawboy14
1/9/2019 2:55pm
I would say the purses have grown a lot since Feld has taken over!

Maybe somebody can find what it was when they started?
1/9/2019 8:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 8:15pm
JoePit wrote:
Why is the purse so relevant when the top guys are being paid millions? Riders making that kind of scratch are in the minority but I'm...

That was exactly my point. If zacho would have been out there then it would have been roughly 18 guys in the 450 main who were on a factory or factory support team.
Mxracer6y
4/14/2019 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2019 1:06pm
Dust601 wrote:
I already knew it was low after seeing earnings after last SX season, but as a fan that doesn’t make this bum me out any less...
I already knew it was low after seeing earnings after last SX season, but as a fan that doesn’t make this bum me out any less. How many great riders are we missing out on watching year to year as a result of some up, and coming kids, or their families deciding the risk to reward ratio just wasn’t good enough?

I wish I had some solutions I really do, but this hasn’t changed much in the 20 years I’ve been a fan, and I don’t really see it changing in the future either. Like someone else said, as long as it’s every man/team for themselves nothing’s going to change.
The solution is incredibly simple. a riders union. If the riders all got together and said "We're not racing until we work out some better (pay)numbers here. and some type of a pension for injured riders as well." And there is NOTHING FELD, AMA or FIM could do about it because they have NOTHING without the riders. They'd have a stadium full of dirt.

Until the riders figure out that THEY have the power, nothing is going to change.... and its really kind of sad when you compare it to other sports. People are literally risking their lives and bodies for a sport that eats it young... and if you get seriously hurt?? You're screwed for the rest of your life..... Hell if a guy gets hurt working at friggin' walmart he gets workmans comp and disability if he cant work for the rest of his life.... Supercross/motocross you're racing for the dream that SOMEDAY you might become a champion... but until that happens, you're S.O.L. if you are injured.

Lots of things need to change in this sport.... and the first is that greedy promoters stop taking all the money.... and why the HELL are riders paying an entry fee???? Again, WITHOUT the riders you have a stadium full of dirt and nothing else.... Im sure the factory guys don't care one way or another for a union, because they are paid well..... but ALL it takes is the privateers to get together, because again, without them, you'd have about 10-15 riders... It really wouldn't take much to get discussions going.

Oh and a side note... My LOCAL organization (NESC) even has programs to help people with bills that are injured while racing.... and yet the pinnacle of the sport doesn't???
kpiper
4/14/2019 1:15pm
Dust601 wrote:
I already knew it was low after seeing earnings after last SX season, but as a fan that doesn’t make this bum me out any less...
I already knew it was low after seeing earnings after last SX season, but as a fan that doesn’t make this bum me out any less. How many great riders are we missing out on watching year to year as a result of some up, and coming kids, or their families deciding the risk to reward ratio just wasn’t good enough?

I wish I had some solutions I really do, but this hasn’t changed much in the 20 years I’ve been a fan, and I don’t really see it changing in the future either. Like someone else said, as long as it’s every man/team for themselves nothing’s going to change.
Mxracer6y wrote:
The solution is incredibly simple. a riders union. If the riders all got together and said "We're not racing until we work out some better (pay)numbers...
The solution is incredibly simple. a riders union. If the riders all got together and said "We're not racing until we work out some better (pay)numbers here. and some type of a pension for injured riders as well." And there is NOTHING FELD, AMA or FIM could do about it because they have NOTHING without the riders. They'd have a stadium full of dirt.

Until the riders figure out that THEY have the power, nothing is going to change.... and its really kind of sad when you compare it to other sports. People are literally risking their lives and bodies for a sport that eats it young... and if you get seriously hurt?? You're screwed for the rest of your life..... Hell if a guy gets hurt working at friggin' walmart he gets workmans comp and disability if he cant work for the rest of his life.... Supercross/motocross you're racing for the dream that SOMEDAY you might become a champion... but until that happens, you're S.O.L. if you are injured.

Lots of things need to change in this sport.... and the first is that greedy promoters stop taking all the money.... and why the HELL are riders paying an entry fee???? Again, WITHOUT the riders you have a stadium full of dirt and nothing else.... Im sure the factory guys don't care one way or another for a union, because they are paid well..... but ALL it takes is the privateers to get together, because again, without them, you'd have about 10-15 riders... It really wouldn't take much to get discussions going.

Oh and a side note... My LOCAL organization (NESC) even has programs to help people with bills that are injured while racing.... and yet the pinnacle of the sport doesn't???
I am not a union guy but for SX/MX the riders do need a union. We tried starting one back in the early 80's and you could not even get a third of the riders to buy in. I am sure it is no different now.

You must have ALL the factory riders join in for it to work and that won't happen because they don't want to risk what they have. Understandable.

This sport is so dangerous and there is enough money in it to pay the racers much better. Sad.
Racerman967
4/14/2019 1:46pm
Last place for 250’s is 850.00. If you make the main the previous race you get a set of tires for free the next race. But you need to do a lot more to the bike to race 250’s vs 450’s.
4/16/2019 8:00am
Please do not compare Formula 1 to Supercross. Total opposite ends of the spectrum. The only thing they share in common is the word “race” .There are Drivers who spend twice over than Supercross’ top teams just to be on a team for 1 year. In a sport where Teams are able to make money buy selling their own merch, constructor championship bonuses, government funding, amongst many other things. Their freight costs alone are enough to drive one bonkers. Nothing against Supercross or motocross, It’s simply just incomparable.
4/16/2019 8:06am
Ps. F1 drivers do not receive purse money from racing venues or from Formula 1 itself.
Sooooo if this was the argument that supercross promoters are greedy.. I don’t think it would hold up against Judge Judy if we are doing comparisons...
Mr. Info
4/16/2019 8:41am
Guys still need a reminder that each track that has a National the track puts up the purse not MX Sports and also has to pay MX Sports to have the race and has to pay for the services of Independent contracts as well. Don’t think the tracks can find much more money.
JustMX
4/17/2019 5:02am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2019 5:03am
Mr. Info wrote:
Guys still need a reminder that each track that has a National the track puts up the purse not MX Sports and also has to pay...
Guys still need a reminder that each track that has a National the track puts up the purse not MX Sports and also has to pay MX Sports to have the race and has to pay for the services of Independent contracts as well. Don’t think the tracks can find much more money.
Reality......
MX-LIFE.
4/18/2019 1:09pm
EngIceDave wrote:
You know what, fuck it, I will ask the question I believe I have asked well over 15 year between here, Freshdirt/Motodrive and now Vital... Please...
You know what, fuck it, I will ask the question I believe I have asked well over 15 year between here, Freshdirt/Motodrive and now Vital...

Please, answer two questions....one takes math, one a guess

1. How much expenses do you believe are involved in running a single SX race? Stadium rental for a week (not 1 night, you have build, press. teardown, ++), portacans, security, fencing, insurance, transportation for all of the AMA Crew, the FELD Crew, plus per diems, plus hotels/food/rentals, plus the multiple 18-wheeler trucks hauling all the gear, plus all the riggers to build it, plus the annual pay to Dirt Wurx and there is a lot more, but just GUESS what you think all that costs?

2. How much profit (including all the risks) is Feld allowed to make? Who wants to cap their earnings?
Keeping in mind, they're a multi-billion dollar company, if it's not worth their efforts, why bother, right?
So how much, is too much?

No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions
barnett468 wrote:
"No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions" Nobody but the promoter will know he answers, therefore, it is completely pointless to ask, however...
"No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions"

Nobody but the promoter will know he answers, therefore, it is completely pointless to ask, however, if the promoter only has a paultry $68k left to spare to pay the riders with, they should seriously think about doing something else more lucrative.

PS - You also forgot to ask how much money NBC paid the promoter for the right to televise it etc.

Lol and the $$$ that Monster throws in and yes they are another multi billion dollar company! Lewis Hamilton probably made more money by winning the Chinese Grand Prix last weekend then field spent putting on that Supercross race!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/18/2019 1:47pm
EngIceDave wrote:
You know what, fuck it, I will ask the question I believe I have asked well over 15 year between here, Freshdirt/Motodrive and now Vital... Please...
You know what, fuck it, I will ask the question I believe I have asked well over 15 year between here, Freshdirt/Motodrive and now Vital...

Please, answer two questions....one takes math, one a guess

1. How much expenses do you believe are involved in running a single SX race? Stadium rental for a week (not 1 night, you have build, press. teardown, ++), portacans, security, fencing, insurance, transportation for all of the AMA Crew, the FELD Crew, plus per diems, plus hotels/food/rentals, plus the multiple 18-wheeler trucks hauling all the gear, plus all the riggers to build it, plus the annual pay to Dirt Wurx and there is a lot more, but just GUESS what you think all that costs?

2. How much profit (including all the risks) is Feld allowed to make? Who wants to cap their earnings?
Keeping in mind, they're a multi-billion dollar company, if it's not worth their efforts, why bother, right?
So how much, is too much?

No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions
barnett468 wrote:
"No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions" Nobody but the promoter will know he answers, therefore, it is completely pointless to ask, however...
"No one has EVER honestly answered any of these questions"

Nobody but the promoter will know he answers, therefore, it is completely pointless to ask, however, if the promoter only has a paultry $68k left to spare to pay the riders with, they should seriously think about doing something else more lucrative.

PS - You also forgot to ask how much money NBC paid the promoter for the right to televise it etc.

MX-LIFE. wrote:
Lol and the $$$ that Monster throws in and yes they are another multi billion dollar company! Lewis Hamilton probably made more money by winning the...
Lol and the $$$ that Monster throws in and yes they are another multi billion dollar company! Lewis Hamilton probably made more money by winning the Chinese Grand Prix last weekend then field spent putting on that Supercross race!
Lewis Hamilton didn't win a single penny since there's no purse money in F1. That said he does earn $52 million a year plus his endorsement deals.

Flies to the races in this.

4/19/2019 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2019 12:12pm
I could appreciate golf purses. IF riders raced bikes from hole to hole, jumped off, hit the ball, and rode to the ball again. Not saying its not a difficult game, but its mainstream and it gets the big sponsors (yes I know energy drinks are big), but it gets the clothing companies, investment companies, accounting and consulting firms, major TV money, etc. that MX / SX will never see. Heck, you need to get chosen in a lottery to go to the PGA in Augusta. Its just that popular to the mainstream.
zehn
4/19/2019 12:46pm
lmao comparing Supercross to golf payouts....
4/19/2019 1:16pm
How much does it cost Feld for Public liability insurances all year, where does the dirt get stored, who transports the dirt, track builders, field uniforms. The list must go on and on.
disforcfc
Fantasy
938th
3/1/2020 3:58pm
EngIceDave wrote:
How much they make including contingency?

What's the MotoGP purse money? Do we agree they risk their lives?
What's the F1 purse money?
only applies to non factory guys
eg351
3/1/2020 7:33pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
Whilst I agree prize money could/ should be alot higher, last place still gets paid $34,000 for approx 20 weeks work doing something they love. Some...
Whilst I agree prize money could/ should be alot higher, last place still gets paid $34,000 for approx 20 weeks work doing something they love. Some people don't get paid that in a year doing what they hate!
Gets paid $34k but spends easily over $50k to be at all 17 races.. It's sad how low the payout is. Nothing will change though unfortunately.

Post a reply to: 2019 AMA Supercross Purse- PATHETIC

The Latest