2019 250f HELP!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2019 5:01 PM

So quick back story. Been riding for a couple years and this is my first year racing I’m a C class rider but want to advance into B and eventually A class Im 6’ and 170-175 I ride a 02 cr250 but want to be a little more competitive and want to pick up a 4 stroke. Looking for a 2019 250f I’d really like to stay with Honda only because I heard they have a decent bike with a good cockpit for taller guys but I’m open to anything. I know that I am the biggest piece of the puzzle to getting faster but I’d really like a new bike and just want the best platform. Any help would be great thanks. Logan
Photo

|

7/18/2019 5:18 PM

Yamaha for sure.

|

7/18/2019 6:01 PM

Definitely the 2019 YZ250F.

Yamaha's are best suited for taller/bigger riders.

The bike is super fast stock , not to mention the additional maps you can program right through the Yamaha App and to the bike. The ONLY manufacturer to have a power tuner App that links right to the bike.
You’re able to adjust the air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to tune engine performance for certain track conditions . Run time, maintenance , race log and Diagnostics are also some of the apps features.

There’s a reason the 2019 Yamaha 250f is the shootout winner across the board, it’s a great bike all around. 🤘

|

7/18/2019 6:11 PM

Raced the 2019 CRF250R last weekend at Gopher Dunes in Canada. That's a very legit sand track that requires as much power as any 250 4T can make...

The chassis was ECELLENT & the bike turned damn near as good as a Suzuki!

The engine has a buzzy mid-range motor that led into a revy top-end that didn't have too much of a pull on top...but it would rev. Like I said, "Revy".

The Yamaha certainly is faster; but, it feels heavier & "bigger" to me.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

7/18/2019 6:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I don’t want this to turn into a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke page. But you think a new 250 2 stroke would be a thought? I’m kinda set on a 4 stroke but want to be happy with spending this much money

|

7/18/2019 6:22 PM

2019 yz250f for sure.

|

7/18/2019 6:24 PM

Lmc14 wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. I don’t want this to turn into a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke page. But you think a new 250 2 stroke would be a thought? I’m kinda set on a 4 stroke but want to be happy with spending this much money

No. The new 250Fs make nearly as much power in a much more easy to ride manner.

2020 Honda and Kari’s look great but you’re best off getting a 19 Yamaha for a deal.

|

7/18/2019 6:34 PM

I’ve had a 2013 crf250r and also a 2014 YZ250F. The Honda felt very heavy. But I couldn’t get the Yamaha to turn for sh!t

|

7/18/2019 6:44 PM

This is just my opinion but if your smoker isn't clapped out...I'd just keep it as fresh as possible and keep ticking off the races and pounding out the laps. There are guys racing (or at least trying to) the nationals on 2 strokes. A smoker isn't holding anyone back in the B and C classes. It may seem that way if the guys that are beating you are on modern 4 strokes but at your level it's mostly talent...not the bike (unless you're riding a 1970's Zundapp or something).

Of course this also depends on the sandbagging factor. If you're racing C class against ex-pros and others in their fourth year of C.....then get the YZF and destroy them.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

7/18/2019 6:52 PM

Lmc14 wrote:

I’ve had a 2013 crf250r and also a 2014 YZ250F. The Honda felt very heavy. But I couldn’t get the Yamaha to turn for sh!t

You try twisting the handlebars?

|

7/18/2019 7:43 PM

Lmc14 wrote:

Panic_Rev wrote:

You try twisting the handlebars?

I ended up selling it because I wasn’t in love with it and life happened. But I did set the bike up how I like bikes and how I’m comfortable and also tried little tweaks like you said and nothing worked

|

7/18/2019 7:46 PM

plowboy wrote:

This is just my opinion but if your smoker isn't clapped out...I'd just keep it as fresh as possible and keep ticking off the races and pounding out the laps. There are guys racing (or at least trying to) the nationals on 2 strokes. A smoker isn't holding anyone back in the B and C classes. It may seem that way if the guys that are beating you are on modern 4 strokes but at your level it's mostly talent...not the bike (unless you're riding a 1970's Zundapp or something).

Of course this also depends on the sandbagging factor. If you're racing C class against ex-pros and others in their fourth year of C.....then get the YZF and destroy them.

That’s the problem. There are a lot of sandbags around my area. At least top 6-7 out of a 10-15 man field Like I’m really not a slouch on the track and I try my hardest every time and they are damn near lapping me in a 4 lap race. They take lines like if it’s double, double, single, they will single then quad out. It’s honestly crazy

|

7/19/2019 5:16 AM

|

7/19/2019 5:32 AM

Try a SXF or FC 250. Great engines, great handling, light and has an open cockpit that suits taller riders.

You'll feel more cramped on a YZF.

|

7/19/2019 5:40 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Try a SXF or FC 250. Great engines, great handling, light and has an open cockpit that suits taller riders.

I’m just over 6 foot and I feel great on the Yamaha and I leave everything stock. I actually like the width of the bike because it makes it easier to control with my legs.

|

7/19/2019 5:41 AM

You probably will not like the pegs to seat height on the Yamaha as a tall rider. It's too short or a distance and makes it's difficult to transition from sit to stand

|

7/19/2019 5:45 AM

Motofinne wrote:

sandtrack315 wrote:

I’m just over 6 foot and I feel great on the Yamaha and I leave everything stock. I actually like the width of the bike because it makes it easier to control with my legs.

Yeah plenty of people feel right at home with the Yamaha. But the gap between the seat and the pegs is significantly longer on the Austrian bike, the bars are wider and the gear lever is longer.

Those things make the Yamaha actually feel "smaller" than the KTM when i ride the bikes back to back. That is one of the reasons i went from a KTM to Yamaha 450 since i'm 175cm and have shorter legs!

|

7/19/2019 6:22 AM

The 2019 YZ250F i would say is better suited to smaller riders. It’s a lot more cramped than the 2018 was. Been running a taller seat etc

|

7/19/2019 6:25 AM

I’ll make you a sweet deal on 2017 CRF 450, you won’t need to worry about power loss coming from a 250 to 250f

|

7/19/2019 6:29 AM

Lmc14 wrote:

That’s the problem. There are a lot of sandbags around my area. At least top 6-7 out of a 10-15 man field Like I’m really not a slouch on the track and I try my hardest every time and they are damn near lapping me in a 4 lap race. They take lines like if it’s double, double, single, they will single then quad out. It’s honestly crazy

I'd just go ahead and move up. I raced enduros and hare scrambles this year for the first time, in the C class. Being an analytical kind of guy, I downloaded and compared laptimes and found out that the top 5 C riders would have finished in the top 15 of the Pro/A class. The fastest C rider would have finished 5th in the Pro/A class. Had I raced the B class instead of the C, I would have won by a good margin.

Next year, I'm in the B class. I'll get more laps and longer loops, too.

As far as the bike goes... I don't think buying a new 250 2T is the way to go, but I agree with the other poster who said just ride what you've got until you get better. Maybe you'll take to the 250F well, but I went faster and funner on an '02 RM 134 and '04 KX 125 than I ever did on my '16 KX 250F. But if you wanna race and be competitive and buy a new bike, at your size? YZ250F.

Please PayPal me $10 so my advice is worth something. smile

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

7/19/2019 8:14 AM

I love my 2017 yz250f... but if it were me buying a bike, it would be between, the KTM 250SXF, or the 2020 KX250... The 2019 yz250f's Batteries die after like 10 hours for a lot of people. i was just at twisted development this week, and they told me the 19's are seeing alot of failures out of OEM Parts, now i dont know how built those bikes were.. But i know Cycle Trader, and the Rockwell Team that Mitchell Harrison rode for were having a ton of engine problems...

But speaking of what you currently ride.. either the kx250 or the 250sxf, will pull most similarly to your CR250.. Snap the throttle wide open and let her sing...

|

7/19/2019 8:19 AM

YZ250F is one of the best bikes for a C rider IMO.

Best 250F motor package for a novice rider(most low to mid power), Great chassis balance and suspension.

I haven't ridden a newer Honda 250F so I can't comment on that bike.

|

Race Bike: 2018 KTM 350SXF

Other Bikes: 1985 CR80R, 1990 CR250R, 1998 PW80, Specialized Fuse Comp 29.

Sold: 2016 YZ250F, 2012 CRF250R

7/19/2019 8:29 AM

plowboy wrote:

I do not agree with this. I think it is much easier for a lower skilled rider to go faster on a 250f compared to a 250 smoker. A and B riders struggle less with a 2 stroke because of talent.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

7/19/2019 8:37 AM

Thanks guys for keeping this post going My local ktm dealers has some good deals I think I may go and sit on some and get a feel for the cockpit Can anyone lead on some pros and cons of the ktm or the Yamaha?

|

7/19/2019 9:52 AM

Another note is that while a lot of people like the bark of the Yamahas I really prefer a strong but linear bottom to a screaming top end. That’s kinda my preference

|

7/19/2019 9:56 AM

Lmc14 wrote:

So quick back story. Been riding for a couple years and this is my first year racing I’m a C class rider but want to advance into B and eventually A class Im 6’ and 170-175 I ride a 02 cr250 but want to be a little more competitive and want to pick up a 4 stroke. Looking for a 2019 250f I’d really like to stay with Honda only because I heard they have a decent bike with a good cockpit for taller guys but I’m open to anything. I know that I am the biggest piece of the puzzle to getting faster but I’d really like a new bike and just want the best platform. Any help would be great thanks. Logan
Photo

You should look at the Kawasaki based on the adjustabilty of the handle bars and foot pegs. Tall riders are able to move the bars forward and the pegs down.

|

7/19/2019 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2019 10:01 AM

Lmc14 wrote:

Photo

Fitness is key...the bike skills will develope regardless of which bike you decide to go with. If you spend any money on bike mods then start with suspension.

Furthermore, a good gym trainer and a riding coach will short cut your journey to the A Classes.

Good luck.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

7/19/2019 10:02 AM

Lmc14 wrote:

Photo

OLDMOTO wrote:

You should look at the Kawasaki based on the adjustabilty of the handle bars and foot pegs. Tall riders are able to move the bars forward and the pegs down.

I’ll have to look at them too. The same dealership has new bike for $6500. It may be an option

|

7/19/2019 10:04 AM

Lmc14 wrote:

Photo

Boomslang wrote:

Fitness is key...the bike skills will develope regardless of which bike you decide to go with. If you spend any money on bike mods then start with suspension.

Furthermore, a good gym trainer and a riding coach will short cut your journey to the A Classes.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice and the help. I work full time and try to hit the gym every night usually for an hour or two. I have just found that my bike now while it runs good has seen better day and I’m really looking for a new bike to be able to know where it’s been and that it’s been taken care of

|

7/19/2019 10:30 AM

plowboy wrote:

Haha. I realize your post is tongue in cheek and sandbagging is clearly an issue. That said, I’m fairly confident there aren’t any ex-pro’s riding C class. Assuming their skills haven’t declined to the point of being a struggling mid-pack B class rider....

|