2018 yz450f trans issue should be a recall Yamaha needs to address this

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2020 3:06 AM

I have a 2018 yz450f and with less than 25 hrs on it and the trans gear for third is hitting false neutral on heavy load and this is very disappointing and upsetting because we spend 9k for the bike and no warranty after 6 months when this clearly other people who have said they have experienced same problem with their yz450f 2018 model it’s a factory defect obviously and there’s no one at Yamaha saying anything about it there is something about there transmission in the bike that they are not doing right

|

1/16/2020 3:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2020 3:37 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

I have a 2018 yz450f and with less than 25 hrs on it and the trans gear for third is hitting false neutral on heavy load and ...more

That bike rolled off the floor sometime in 2017. Your chances of a claim are as good as my chances of winning the lotto.

Good luck to you.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

1/16/2020 3:45 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

I have a 2018 yz450f and with less than 25 hrs on it and the trans gear for third is hitting false neutral on heavy load and ...more

Boomslang wrote:

That bike rolled off the floor sometime in 2017. Your chances of a claim are as good as my chances of winning the lotto.

Good ...more

So frustrating tho like material using in transmission not good maybe something ain’t right but lot of people have the same people with their yz too heavy load hit false neutral on third gear terrible man and I know why they don’t want to it‘a cause Yamaha probably has to recall hundreds on bikes by now

|

1/16/2020 4:04 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Good ...more

This is the truth but 25 hours is still a brand new bike basically. MFGs should do more. Not everyone beats on bikes like barcia does.

|

1/16/2020 4:08 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Good ...more

kb228 wrote:

This is the truth but 25 hours is still a brand new bike basically. MFGs should do more. Not everyone beats on bikes like ...more

Ya they should when you spend Almost 10k for a bike this needs to be addressed period

|

1/16/2020 4:18 AM

Punctuation. Learn it. Use it.

|

1/16/2020 4:22 AM

HackMan162 wrote:

Punctuation. Learn it. Use it.

Thanks for the tip but I’m upset you think I’m worried about my punctuation lol you a turd such a wise ass get out of here

|

1/16/2020 4:23 AM

Multiple people that i know has had the same issue on their 18 bikes aswell. I did 60 hours on mine and had zero issues.

|

1/16/2020 4:30 AM

Sorry about your bike but I'm still trying to catch my breath reading your posts. Unfortunately most manufacturers won't do a recall on competition bikes. Last one I remember on Japanese bikes was the decompression plunger on the 09 Honda 450s, but I haven't worked at a dealership in years.

|

1/16/2020 4:30 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Multiple people that i know has had the same issue on their 18 bikes aswell. I did 60 hours on mine and had zero issues.

Man that’s awesome guess you are one of the lucky ones wish was the same for me and I saw a couple of people saying they went to their locAl Yamaha dealer to solve problem and they gave them new motor but that doesn’t really solve the problem cause the stock trans in the bike they are basically giving you the same crap again then later same issue happens again with the trans so terrible 25 hrs trans should not go out on a bike and out of all gears on a bike third with mine and other peoples 2018 yz450f as well. And this happen all my chance I think not

|

1/16/2020 4:51 AM

Motofinne wrote:

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Man that’s awesome guess you are one of the lucky ones wish was the same for me and I saw a couple of people saying they went ...more

Holy run on sentences.

|

1/16/2020 7:01 AM

Yeah its sad. Buy a 15k hyundai and u get 100k 10yr warranty. With bikes u get squat.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

1/16/2020 7:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2020 7:08 AM

Motofinne wrote:

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Man that’s awesome guess you are one of the lucky ones wish was the same for me and I saw a couple of people saying they went ...more

Was that last offering a world's longest unpunctuated sentence record attempt?

I'd check the dog undercuts on 3rd and get a gear man's opinion on whether to increase the angle for a better lock. SOP on some older transmissions.

There may be an under or over selection/travel issue that can be fettled or adjusted out.

|

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.

1/16/2020 7:09 AM

resetjet wrote:

Yeah its sad. Buy a 15k hyundai and u get 100k 10yr warranty. With bikes u get squat.

Can you fathom why the warranties differ?

|

1/16/2020 7:16 AM

I keep hitting neutral between 1st and 2nd gear. Strange......

On a serious note, I had a few issues early on with my 2018 YZ450 in 3rd popping out of gear into a false neutral. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened again in over 20 hours of ride time....knock knock. At about 60 hours now and its been rock solid for months.

Maybe just ride through it? Gotta be extra careful on jump faces, ask me how I know.... (my nuts were half way up my ass, but other than that I was perfect)

|

1/16/2020 7:16 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Good ...more

kb228 wrote:

This is the truth but 25 hours is still a brand new bike basically. MFGs should do more. Not everyone beats on bikes like ...more

I get what you are saying, but there’s a lot of wear and tear that can happen in 25 hours. Especially if the guy is stomping on the shifter every time he downshifts, never changes his oil, etcetera. I’ve seen bikes with 25 hours on them that I would NEVER think of buying, while I’ve seen other bikes with 75 hours that I’d buy in a heart beat.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/16/2020 7:17 AM

resetjet wrote:

Immediately enter your brand new Hyundai in a rally race and see how that warranty works out for you.

|

1/16/2020 7:20 AM

Motofinne wrote:

bbbbaajajr wrote:

You really need to go stock up on some tampax...you skipped your periods.

People will help you here for sure. But reading your posts is painful.

|

1/16/2020 7:22 AM

Boomslang wrote:

Good ...more

kb228 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I get what you are saying, but there’s a lot of wear and tear that can happen in 25 hours. Especially if the guy is stomping ...more

For sure. But they offer warranties for supersports. Those bikes are the street equivalent to dirtbikes as far as abuse goes.

|

1/16/2020 7:42 AM

Bent shift fork. How did you crash when it hit the shifter that hard?

|

1/16/2020 8:02 AM

Am I the only one who thinks you should use your clutch to shift gears? When I go to any track everyone admits (proudly) that they never use the clutch to up-shift. Then they get mad when theirs transmission is screwed. Not saying it is your case, but I can´t figure out why on earth people don´t use the damn clutch.

|

Heavy Hitter

1/16/2020 8:23 AM

So it sounds like the new generation of yz450's have the same problem as the yz250's. The 3rd gear, gear dogs are prone to chipping and wearing.
I've had it happen on my yz250 once so far I know others who've had it happen multiple times.

It's a great feeling when you're wide open in 3rd gear and it suddenly jumps out of gear. Then back into gear and then slips a couple more times very quickly. All within about 60 feet and you didn't even touch the shift lever.

Oil changes don't effect it i swap mine every 3 hrs and use maxima 80wt. I don't stomp on the lever i do shift without the clutch but I'm not shifting under a load either. I back off the throttle before I shift.

I wonder if Yamaha is only a 3 prong gear dog setup like they do on the yz250. Funny how my yz125 has never had this problem. It gets shifted more per lap than the 250 ever does and it's transmission always looks good.

|

1/16/2020 8:38 AM

kb228 wrote:

For sure. But they offer warranties for supersports. Those bikes are the street equivalent to dirtbikes as far as abuse goes. ...more

Racing usage warranties?

|

1/16/2020 8:50 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

Thanks for the tip but I’m upset you think I’m worried about my punctuation lol you a turd such a wise ass get out of here

Settle down, noob.

|

1/16/2020 9:00 AM

My 18's gearbox looked mint after 50 hours, crank bearing not so much pinch A lot of things can happen in 25 hours, no way near new after those hours.

|

1/16/2020 9:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2020 9:36 AM

For what its worth this is what 3rd gear looked like on my yz250 2t after about 20 hrs, and I always shift with the clutch. Look closely at the edge of the dog.
Photo

Popped out a few times under heavy load, after it did it on a jump face and nearly killed me I took it apart to have a look. I got it undercut and now it shifts smooth as butter and never pops out.

|

1/16/2020 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2020 10:09 AM

kb228 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I get what you are saying, but there’s a lot of wear and tear that can happen in 25 hours. Especially if the guy is stomping ...more

kb228 wrote:

For sure. But they offer warranties for supersports. Those bikes are the street equivalent to dirtbikes as far as abuse goes. ...more

Yamaha's first major recommended engine maintenance on their Supersport is a valve lash adjustment at 26,000 miles. That's the street equivalent of their motocross race bikes for which they recommend a new top end at 12.5 hrs/5 races?

|

1/16/2020 10:39 AM

Motofinne wrote:

bbbbaajajr wrote:

MOTO1313 wrote:

You really need to go stock up on some tampax...you skipped your periods.

People will help you here for sure. But reading ...more

I don't know why but i have the feeling he uses the clutch as much as the ponctuation. laughing laughing laughing

Just kidding of course, sorry to hear he is having trans issues.

On yamaha though, top of the frames and transmissions (3rd and 5th) have had some flaws for many many years.
|

1/16/2020 10:48 AM

resetjet wrote:

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

Immediately enter your brand new Hyundai in a rally race and see how that warranty works out for you.

Hyundai does not design and advertise their cars as being "race rally" worthy...whereas Yamaha designs their motocross bike to be "off-road" worthy...

Big difference..

Yamaha should step to the plate- at least offer parts only free of charge.

|

1/16/2020 10:56 AM

bbbbaajajr wrote:

What’s your maintenance schedule looking like? Oil change once in awhile or, whenever? 25 hours may not seem like much but, if you only changed the oil once or twice then who’s to blame. You mentioned what the bike is doing wrong. Are you doing everything right?

|