2018 yz450 owners

yamahaha131
I’ve read the reviews and seems mid-pack all around. I owned a new 14 and wasn’t a fan after being a lifelong Yamaha guy. Currently love my 13 Crf450 but hoping to upgrade next year and would love to return to blue. Just curious to hear if any current owners are let down by the handling or if it truly turns a lot better.
|
RCMXracing
1/31/2018 5:39pm
I know two guys who have them and no regrets and they report yes it turns much better. I’m a firm believer that if the ergo’s on a CRF fit you so will an RMZ, and a KTM. I dunno about KXF, but if that CRF fits you well, then I suspect the YZF is going to be on the further end of fitment spectrum.
Moto88
1/31/2018 5:47pm
Had a 10 YZ450, 13 CR-450, 14 YZ450, 16 YZ450, now an 18 YZ450. Best one to date, yes it turns better and I like the handling. I liked the CR but much prefer the YZ, especially my 18. Vet int rider, tracks only. So to answer your question, no, not let down at all.
swtwtwtw
1/31/2018 5:49pm
I just bought one. I like the ergos while standing and it seems that the local yocal pros love it.
yamahaha131
1/31/2018 5:56pm
Great feedback guys! I rode a 16 kawi. Felt long and underwhelming. Haven’t rode a newer ktm or Honda. Not a Suzuki fan, will never own one. Hopefully I get to ride a new Honda and Yamaha this year sometime.

The Shop

Gixxxerboy
1/31/2018 6:17pm
I can't say enough about it!!! its sexy as fuck too. and it pulls like a scalded ape
1/31/2018 6:32pm
Had a 16, got an 18. Head and shoulders above in every aspect. I had the chance to ride it back to back with a well set up 2017 CRF. They were very close but I preferred the YZ. I could probably get the CRF to be just as good with a bit of tuning to suit me, so I’d say they’re on par.
Flip109
1/31/2018 6:48pm
When in the hell will Yamaha admit their mistake, turn the engine back the proper way, and get on with it?
GPrider
1/31/2018 6:53pm
rode my buddy's 18, although better than my 16, not even close to as good as my 18 Honda. Feels wide, big and bulky. Great for off road, but a tank on the track. Looks like it weighs 250 lbs too, not good
Zycki11
1/31/2018 6:53pm
Flip109 wrote:
When in the hell will Yamaha admit their mistake, turn the engine back the proper way, and get on with it?
When it doesn't improve power.... When will honda admit the dual pipes are shite?
loftyair
1/31/2018 8:03pm
I rode one. Seems fine. Better than the old. I have heard local pros love it. I think great for a bigger and/or faster guy. If big and fast, then for sure.
Flip109
2/1/2018 12:29am
Flip109 wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
When it doesn't improve power.... When will honda admit the dual pipes are shite?
It’s not all about power in that class. They could make any of the 450’s a rocket if they wanted. That wasn’t the purpose of it anyway. I’m not saying it’s a pile of shit. They’ve done the best they could do with it. It’s been almost 10 years though and that design just didn’t turn out like they expected. Imagine how many sales they have lost over the years due to it.

And I’m with ya on the dual pipes. Just as stupid lol
lumpy790
2/1/2018 5:03am
The Yamaha set up has worked very well world wide since Yamaha produced it in 2010 8 years ago.

If you want to buy a standard set up 2008 YZ450F I have a for sale.
2/1/2018 5:10am
Flip109 wrote:
Zycki11 wrote:
Flip109 wrote:
It’s not all about power in that class. They could make any of the 450’s a rocket if they wanted. That wasn’t the purpose of it...
It’s not all about power in that class. They could make any of the 450’s a rocket if they wanted. That wasn’t the purpose of it anyway. I’m not saying it’s a pile of shit. They’ve done the best they could do with it. It’s been almost 10 years though and that design just didn’t turn out like they expected. Imagine how many sales they have lost over the years due to it.

And I’m with ya on the dual pipes. Just as stupid lol
The cool thing is you can usually put a single exhaust on a Honda. You are stuck with that reverse engine on the yami
GPrider
2/1/2018 6:24am
it's definitely fast! but like I said, just a big bike. Great for going fast and straight, as in off road. Just too bulky for me. Kinda like a big hot girl vrs a thin one. I choose thin every time.
sparker245
2/1/2018 1:58pm
I have a '18 YZ450f and love it. The biggest improvement is in the chassis which results in MUCH improved cornering. The bike is also a little slimmer and more nimble too. Make no mistake though it's nowhere near as slim as a Honda, not even close. But in my opinion (after owning a '17 CRF450R) the Yamaha feels more stable and planted than the Honda. If you've liked past Yamahas (2010-17) the '18 will put a big smile on your face. Agree with Barcia's assessment of the '18 here: http://racerxonline.com/2018/02/01/450-words-justin-barcias-turnaround
305FC250
2/1/2018 3:56pm
Never understood how people call the Yamaha's "tanks" and things of that sort... Yeah they got wide shrouds, thats about it. I don't even notice it when I'm actually riding the bike it only really stands out when sitting on the bike on a stand but once I get out on the track I'm focused on other things and never have had an issue with the shrouds (and I don't even have Cyrca shrouds). Besides that I'm not sure what else is "tank-like" about it.... The weight is in line with the other jap bikes, it doesn't feel heavy to me on the track, nor does it feel big or like Im riding a physically larger bike. Feels like a normal bike to me. And Im not a big guy. Somewhat average or even on the light weight side around 5'9" 160lbs. I'm just at a loss I don't understand where all the "the bike is too big and bulky" guys are coming from...
swtwtwtw
2/1/2018 5:19pm
I rode my 17 husky 250f last Sunday and the 18 yz450f today. Width not a bother at all. Controlling my input to the throttle is my task. It does everything I want. Ripping out of corner and hills so fast compared to the smaller bike. Can't wait to ride it again this weekend
2/1/2018 6:05pm
305FC250 wrote:
Never understood how people call the Yamaha's "tanks" and things of that sort... Yeah they got wide shrouds, thats about it. I don't even notice it...
Never understood how people call the Yamaha's "tanks" and things of that sort... Yeah they got wide shrouds, thats about it. I don't even notice it when I'm actually riding the bike it only really stands out when sitting on the bike on a stand but once I get out on the track I'm focused on other things and never have had an issue with the shrouds (and I don't even have Cyrca shrouds). Besides that I'm not sure what else is "tank-like" about it.... The weight is in line with the other jap bikes, it doesn't feel heavy to me on the track, nor does it feel big or like Im riding a physically larger bike. Feels like a normal bike to me. And Im not a big guy. Somewhat average or even on the light weight side around 5'9" 160lbs. I'm just at a loss I don't understand where all the "the bike is too big and bulky" guys are coming from...
It's all just personal opinions man, they differ, I do think they feel like a tank, not an army tank just big, (which I think is emphasised by the lack of front wheel grip) so I sold mine and bought a KTM. I have a friend who is small, he had a KTM and didnt like it now he has a yz and loves it..
2/1/2018 6:07pm
Barcia is making these 18 yz's look good, Which is good for Yamaha because if it was just Cooper...Oh No.
yamahaha131
2/1/2018 6:15pm
305FC250 wrote:
Never understood how people call the Yamaha's "tanks" and things of that sort... Yeah they got wide shrouds, thats about it. I don't even notice it...
It's all just personal opinions man, they differ, I do think they feel like a tank, not an army tank just big, (which I think is...
It's all just personal opinions man, they differ, I do think they feel like a tank, not an army tank just big, (which I think is emphasised by the lack of front wheel grip) so I sold mine and bought a KTM. I have a friend who is small, he had a KTM and didnt like it now he has a yz and loves it..
Lack of front end feel is what I experienced with my 14, especially on flat corners. I was hoping this was changed with the new chassis. The last gen Yamaha width never bothered me on the track. I’m just shy of 5’10 and 200+ lbs do not a small man by any means.
MotoX85
2/1/2018 8:07pm
I own a 14 and an 18. The difference in the 2 bikes is enormous. I love the 18, tons of power. By FAR more than the 18 KTM and Honda (only other 18s I've rode). This year's bike actually WANTS to turn. On tip in, instead of wanting to stand up, like previous years, it actually WANTS to lay over and carve. This however makes it a little less stable at speed, not bad but noticeable. If you are use to Yamaha stability, you will know what I mean. The shrouds do not feel any wider than any other bike except the KTM is a little skinnier. Didn't think I really wanted the E start but I can't really notice the weight, ( feels lighter than the 14) so I've changed my mind on that.

The 3 biggest things for me was the power and tip in on turning. By FAR more power than anything else and turns better than any YZ youve rode before and the suspension is perfect with just clicker adjustment

Everything else is good to great. Does nothing bad but is not the best either. The mobile app is fun but I ended up liking the stock setting but could be used for slick tracks or other conditions like that.

I personally love it and between the 3 I've rode, by far better than the Honda or KTM
Joko
Fantasy
233rd
2/1/2018 9:50pm
The intake noise on my 14YZ250F really bothers me (stock and Cycra shrouds). Does the 18YZ450F have much of the intake noise?
MotoX85
2/3/2018 12:02am
Nothing like the 14 but has a slight noise. I never really notice it myself.
2/3/2018 4:50am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2018 4:51am
I came off a 15 FC350 running Ohlins and all the good stuff.

Got my hands on an 18 YZ450F - First impressions

Awesome power
Does not feel wide
Does not feel heavy
Turning well out of the box
Great suspension
No real induction noise

Cant believe I wasted 3 years on a 350.........

Post a reply to: 2018 yz450 owners

The Latest