2018 crf250r hydraulic clutch?

Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 12:23pm
I have looked and researched as well as I know how to do (I'm not tech savvy). I have sent emails with no response, and called and left voice messages. Still no replies.

Does ANYONE know of a hydraulic clutch conversion for this bike. Or the part number? I've compared part numbers for the 17 250r as well as the 18 450r and they are not the same so I assume those won't work?
|
Tryhard
4/6/2018 1:38pm
I am in the works on trying to figure something out with this same issue , i may make my own set up , with parts that i can find online , because no one is offering it. but so far everything is looking do able . when i get it figured out i will be posting it in the build section , for others to reference if they want .
4/6/2018 3:45pm
Tryhard wrote:
I am in the works on trying to figure something out with this same issue , i may make my own set up , with parts...
I am in the works on trying to figure something out with this same issue , i may make my own set up , with parts that i can find online , because no one is offering it. but so far everything is looking do able . when i get it figured out i will be posting it in the build section , for others to reference if they want .
What would be sweet thanks.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/6/2018 5:16pm
Because of the cable routing, neither an existing 450 or prior generation 250 hydraulic clutch kit will work.
JBernard_401
4/6/2018 5:19pm
ML512 wrote:
Because of the cable routing, neither an existing 450 or prior generation 250 hydraulic clutch kit will work.
Dont even have a crf250 but wondering what you mean by this. Just the length of the prior gen is different so the kit isn't usable?

The Shop

Tryhard
4/6/2018 5:22pm
ML512 wrote:
Dont even have a crf250 but wondering what you mean by this. Just the length of the prior gen is different so the kit isn't usable?
They are routed on the opposite side and come through instead and attach to the perch in a different way then any previous year or any other make on the market right now , im trying to work on finding one with little to modification that will work .
Tryhard
4/6/2018 5:52pm
Do you have a pic you could post to show the difference?
Yes i will get a pic tomorrow morning , at work currently untill the A.M . It is routed from left handed side , over to the right under the right radiator to the back of the motor under the throttlebody and over to the left side of the bike
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/6/2018 8:32pm
ML512 wrote:
The entire routing and design of the actuating arm is different, without the usual mounting location for a hydraulic cylinder to pull on the actuating arm.
JBernard_401
4/6/2018 8:38pm
ML512 wrote:
The entire routing and design of the actuating arm is different, without the usual mounting location for a hydraulic cylinder to pull on the actuating arm.
ah that makes sense. I thought it was a diaphragm style like a rekluse or brembo slave and not an arm. I guess that let them use the old case half design without getting rid of the mechanical style as well.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
4/6/2018 8:41pm
ML512 wrote:
ah that makes sense. I thought it was a diaphragm style like a rekluse or brembo slave and not an arm. I guess that let them...
ah that makes sense. I thought it was a diaphragm style like a rekluse or brembo slave and not an arm. I guess that let them use the old case half design without getting rid of the mechanical style as well.
Magura hydraulic kits just run a hydraulic line from the master cylinder to a push/pull piston down below that attaches to the existing clutch actuation arm. To do a proper hydro clutch like the KTM/Brembo or the units on the HRC Honda and Rinaldi Yamahas...you'd have to modify the engine cases and drill out the material to access the clutch actuation pin.
JBernard_401
4/6/2018 8:48pm
ML512 wrote:
Magura hydraulic kits just run a hydraulic line from the master cylinder to a push/pull piston down below that attaches to the existing clutch actuation arm...
Magura hydraulic kits just run a hydraulic line from the master cylinder to a push/pull piston down below that attaches to the existing clutch actuation arm. To do a proper hydro clutch like the KTM/Brembo or the units on the HRC Honda and Rinaldi Yamahas...you'd have to modify the engine cases and drill out the material to access the clutch actuation pin.
Don't worry I know! : )

4/8/2018 9:35am
Don't worry I know! : ) [img]http://transfer.fleeangrybear.com/KX500AF/RekluseFitment2.jpg[/img] [img]http://transfer.fleeangrybear.com/KX500AF/FrameWelding3.jpg[/img]
Don't worry I know! : )

billyp330
4/9/2018 10:33am
ML512 wrote:
ah that makes sense. I thought it was a diaphragm style like a rekluse or brembo slave and not an arm. I guess that let them...
ML512 wrote:
Magura hydraulic kits just run a hydraulic line from the master cylinder to a push/pull piston down below that attaches to the existing clutch actuation arm...
I fail to see how "proper" hydro would be better then a Magura setup with the slave cylinder. I havnt had a close look at the 18 crf250r clutch arm but assuming that it still as an external torque arm like all jap bikes, you could just get a any Magura setup and get the right length hose and adjust properly.

Any insight ML on the advantages of the KTM/Brembo setup vs the Magura setup?
JBernard_401
4/9/2018 10:43am
Because its an adapter vs a simplified system. On the brembo rig it goes to the slave and then only has to move a pushrod. On the magura adapter system its going to a pushrod that operates another linkage then the final rod. Just more components. Also I bet the throw/play on the magura is much more than the brembo. I know on my rekulse the diaphragm only moves about .200" tops.
billyp330
4/9/2018 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 12:23pm
Because its an adapter vs a simplified system. On the brembo rig it goes to the slave and then only has to move a pushrod. On...
Because its an adapter vs a simplified system. On the brembo rig it goes to the slave and then only has to move a pushrod. On the magura adapter system its going to a pushrod that operates another linkage then the final rod. Just more components. Also I bet the throw/play on the magura is much more than the brembo. I know on my rekulse the diaphragm only moves about .200" tops.
Ok that's how I figured the KTM setup worked, thanks for info.

Iv ridden a few ktms and an 08 Honda crf450r with Magura setup and they feel exactly the same to me (both have super smooth, effortless clutch pull). More components (literally one more component) with the Magura, but doesn't effect anything so its not better IMO and would be a lot harder for average joe racer to install himself.

Post a reply to: 2018 crf250r hydraulic clutch?

The Latest