2018 crf 250r

Related:
Create New Tag

3/11/2018 10:04 PM

So i made a post earlier , and not sure what this paid poster thing is all about ... makes no sense to me what that even means ... but i was accused of being one by someone .. All im trying to do is find out if anyone has had any issues with the electric starts on these bikes , and or the batteries .. i wanted to buy one next week when i buy my son his first fourwheeler to have something to ride while working on my kx ...I really like this community but moving my post to the dumbgeon without atleast lookinbg at my post history and knowing im not some sort of bot is rather rude my friends

If anyone can give me feed back on my question i would greatly appriciate it !

|

2018 crf 250r

3/11/2018 10:16 PM

This is exactly what I would do if I were a paid poster

|

3/11/2018 11:07 PM

You couldn't pay me enough to post in this thread

|

3/11/2018 11:07 PM

Tryhard wrote:

So i made a post earlier , and not sure what this paid poster thing is all about ... makes no sense to me what that even means ...more

Saw your earlier post... the same jackass accused me of being a "paid poster" too, when I asked about a certain brand of chest protector (seems if I were a paid poster I would have mentioned the brand on this post...) Sorry I don't have any info your CRF250 question except that I don't like e-start on MX bikes... uh oh, I guess that means I'm a paid poster for kickstart manufacturers!

|

3/12/2018 2:55 AM

Tryhard wrote:

So i made a post earlier , and not sure what this paid poster thing is all about ... makes no sense to me what that even means ...more

mike117 wrote:

Saw your earlier post... the same jackass accused me of being a "paid poster" too, when I asked about a certain brand of chest ...more

I dunno what all this dumb shit is about , honestly im prob just gonna switch back over to thumper talk these guys here are being really weird ? who in the fuck would pay someone to post on the forums? and yet if they did im sure it isnt very much ... i mean damn i cant even ask information on a certin product withing a discussion board on the internet these days ... wtf

|

2018 crf 250r

3/12/2018 3:29 AM

Have read a few threads about them not wanting to start in really cold conditions. IDK but I'd guess the manual covers cold start conditions...

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

3/12/2018 4:26 AM

Haven't had any issues with mine. Got it the end of Jan and have 10 hours on it currently. There is a yellow "choke" lever on the left side. I pull it out and it fires up within a few cranks. Most of my riding has been in 60 degrees or less weather due to living in Indiana and it being winter.

Hope this helps. I absolutely love this bike.

|

2018 CRF250R

3/12/2018 5:12 AM

Tryhard wrote:

mike117 wrote:

Saw your earlier post... the same jackass accused me of being a "paid poster" too, when I asked about a certain brand of chest ...more

Let just say that I want hundred percent agree with your sentiment towards electric starter pack I have written them and to me it felt to press a button to start my bike it did not feel normal if that makes any sense almost like I was riding a quad to me kickstarting a bike is something that you just do I can’t believe that people in magazines or knocking certain bikes were not having electric start when it’s coming the next year or so and I also can’t believe everyone seems to be perfectly OK with the ridiculous price hike and added extra 10 pounds to already overweight dirtbikes I remember that kid should be writing me I guess that saying is gonna disappear now lol personally when i buy a new dirtbike, id prefer to have the option
I

|

3/12/2018 2:40 PM

Gotta do the KTM trick. Bump the start button just enough to barely and it don’t even have to turn over. Wait 20-30 sec, then crank for 5 sec, if it doesn’t start, wait another 20-30 sec. What that’s doing is firing all the ions in the battery getting them to charge up so to speak, thus giving you a more agreesive cranking power. Sometimes it pays to hold the throttle a little even with the choke on if it’s really cold. I’ve got 10hrs on mine. Surprised many Honda dealers don’t know this. My dealer killed my battery trying to start it when the assembled it out of the crate. Even the Honda Rep for our area didn’t know what to do. He said maybe they’ll have a better map update for this in the future. I LOL’d and asked them if they knew of the KTM trick, haha!

|

3/12/2018 3:19 PM

MotoMaverick989 wrote:

Gotta do the KTM trick. Bump the start button just enough to barely and it don’t even have to turn over. Wait 20-30 sec, then ...more

This^^^

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

3/12/2018 4:37 PM

MotoMaverick989 wrote:

Gotta do the KTM trick. Bump the start button just enough to barely and it don’t even have to turn over. Wait 20-30 sec, then ...more

Well how much are the batteries? im sure they are expensive ? I really like the way the new honda looks and the high end power the motor is making , i think im going to pull the trigger anyways ... if it turns out to be bad owell my loss , i doubt it will though . I believe i think things over to much sometimes , im not a professional rider what so ever . so im sure it will suit me fine!

|

2018 crf 250r

3/12/2018 5:23 PM

One of my sons friends has one. Does the “KTM” routine and it fires right up flawlessly. He got his the first week of January and its been perfect..

|

3/13/2018 3:28 PM

MotoMaverick989 wrote:

seems like an awful long time to wait , just to start the bike???

|

2018 crf 250r

3/13/2018 4:06 PM

Tryhard wrote:

Fires right up when it’s >60*F out. Get used to it with e-start bikes when it’s cold out till new technology makes current batteries better.

|

3/13/2018 4:41 PM

Tryhard wrote:

mike117 wrote:

Tryhard wrote:

I dunno what all this dumb shit is about , honestly im prob just gonna switch back over to thumper talk these guys here are ...more

Forums do have click bait trolls, dont see many here.

I doubt you are one.

They like to play "stacks on the mill" here its quite the lets beat up the small kid in school mentality..

But hey one things for sure many are dim as fck and got nothing better to do..

|

3/13/2018 5:04 PM

It's not a KTM trick, it's LiPo battery trick. Everything has a compromise. Want a feather weight battery, deal with cold battery starts. And it's only when really cold. Just like starting a 4 stroke, once your down with the routine you'll be good. Once the battery is above the low operating temperature, it's fine. I always advise KTM customers to add a jumper wiring rig inside the airbox lid and carry one of those LiPo jumper batteries that can also start your car and charge your modern electronic devices.

|

3/13/2018 5:09 PM

Tryhard wrote:

20-30s is a long time to wait....???

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

3/13/2018 5:11 PM

Honda says DO NOT CHARGE OR JUMP the battery EVER! They say the only way to charge the battery is with the Optimate LithIon charger, so they say. Here's what I do know about them, if you jump them with another battery the internal circuitry can go bad. Battery will not be warrantied. Retail on the battery is $465.00 cost in. So in that case buy a WPS Li-Ion battery that you CAN charge or jump start for a fraction of the cost.

Not happy with Honda on this stupid battery deal. What a joke. Yes, I work at a Honda dealership, yes, I have had words with their tech department and the DSM about this. I think they fucked up with this battery and it will bite them in the ass soon enough.

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3/13/2018 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 5:38 PM

I looked up both the 2018 250 & 450 and the OEM battery is $319.35

BTW a 4 wheeler does not have this kind of advanced battery.

|

3/13/2018 6:20 PM

Ours sat overnight in a trailer and it got down to 26 degrees , next morning it was a balmy 28 degrees and it fired right up no problems.

|

3/13/2018 6:50 PM

kiwifan wrote:

Well actually , yes it does when i compare to kick starting abike first kick ...

|

2018 crf 250r

3/13/2018 6:53 PM

Ryno23 wrote:

Honda says DO NOT CHARGE OR JUMP the battery EVER! They say the only way to charge the battery is with the Optimate LithIon ...more

And this is what i was wondering about , thank you so much for the feed back . There is always something that isnt said i believe maintaining a battery is the best way to keep it in operator order and I was under the impression i would be able to just keep th ebattery on a regular tender in the off season . guess im wrong , and glad to read that ... Im going to still consider the honda , because i really love honda , but if the deal goes south im going with the yz250 2t , end of story ... my hopes are up on the honda ...hopefully they dont crash and burn

|

2018 crf 250r

3/13/2018 6:55 PM

Get a battery charger that's designed for lithium motorcycle batteries.
If you need to replace the battery, I would look into Antigravity Batteries or Super B batteries. (I have no affiliation with either company).

I'm not a "paid poster", but I will pay myself to post about our billet start button for the new Honda CRFs:

Photo

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

3/13/2018 7:03 PM

Tryhard wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

Tryhard wrote:

Well actually , yes it does when i compare to kick starting abike first kick ...

With my experience with my husky the “battery warmup” is only for the first start of the day. All the rest are one bump of the starter and it fires. I believe I’ve seen where it’s also called “wake up” for the battery. Bump it just enough to hear the fuel pump kick on and put your helmet, gloves goggles etc and then start it up. Well worth it to not have to ever kick the bike

|

3/13/2018 7:06 PM

Ryno23 wrote:

Honda says DO NOT CHARGE OR JUMP the battery EVER! They say the only way to charge the battery is with the Optimate LithIon ...more

And you change your piston every 8 hours too?
Never had a problem with a KTM LiPo charging it on a regular electronic battery charger or jumping from either a lead acid or LiPo battery. But I only work at a KTM workshop. Anyway, you've definitely spooked the hell out of this guy. I'm sure your boss would be happy

|

3/13/2018 7:22 PM

Yea, don’t overthink it. Like one guy said, I’ve jump started KTM’s with a regular 12V jump pack, put battery tenders on them, and used specific chargers and tenders as well. Common sense goes a long way.

|

3/13/2018 8:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2018 8:21 PM

Underground wrote:

Never had a problem with a KTM LiPo charging it on a regular electronic battery ...more

Shut the fuck up. We have a "toasted" battery on my desk from the boss using a Li-Ion jump pack on his 18 450r snowbike setup. They dont start so great when it is 5 degrees in the morning! Honda won't cover it at all.

So I am being HONEST with a potential Honda owner. Wtf is wrong with that dumbass?!

My advise, put the stock battery on a shelf for when you need it another time. Buy a $120 WPS lithium and enjoy the bike. It's a great machine minus the POS battery.

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

3/13/2018 8:33 PM

Photo

Photo

|

3/13/2018 9:09 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

I looked up both the 2018 250 & 450 and the OEM battery is $319.35

BTW a 4 wheeler does not have this kind of advanced ...more

Lol that much for a couple of lithiums glued together and a bit of temp/charge circuit..in a box..

Nice litte or should i say big earner...

|

3/13/2018 9:37 PM

Ryno23 wrote:

Underground wrote:

Never had a problem with a KTM LiPo charging it on a regular electronic battery ...more

Ryno23 wrote:

Shut the fuck up. We have a "toasted" battery on my desk from the boss using a Li-Ion jump pack on his 18 450r snowbike setup. ...more

Wow. Take a shower battery toaster. Next time, correct polarity. Just say'in

|