2018 YZ250 & YZ250F which is better

Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 9:33pm
I've been looking at the 2018 Yamaha 250 dirtbikes for purchase but there isn't really any solid reviews on them I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on them, I want to know what I'm getting into before I spend 6-8 grand on a second-hand one the bike is going to be used mainly for trail riding and a bit of racing thanks guys
|
9/13/2018 4:38am
Well you can watch a review for 2015-2018 and the bike 99% the same. Going back to 2006 the bike is pretty much the same minus some little things like bars, graphics, rear plastics, wheel color, etc. They are great bikes and do everything well but the YZ250F is absolutely awesome bike.
cody41
9/13/2018 4:46am
I own a yz250 and love it. The only negative about the 2 stroke is the vibration, but a rubber mounted top clamp will help. The 2 stroke is faster and narrower than the 250f, but it more difficult to ride well.
9/13/2018 6:03am
There was another article written on 2 heavily modded bikes, i cant find it anymore. But the out come was the 2 stroke produced faster lap times early in the day and the 4 stroke was faster at the end of the day because the riders were worn out.

The Shop

9/13/2018 6:37am
cody41 wrote:
I own a yz250 and love it. The only negative about the 2 stroke is the vibration, but a rubber mounted top clamp will help. The...
I own a yz250 and love it. The only negative about the 2 stroke is the vibration, but a rubber mounted top clamp will help. The 2 stroke is faster and narrower than the 250f, but it more difficult to ride well.
thanks, Cody how is the maintenance for the yz250 go about my mate's bikes always need something fixed on them I just want something I can do minimal maintenance and be able to go crazy on it. without it breaking down in the middle of the woods with me
9/13/2018 6:40am
Well you can watch a review for 2015-2018 and the bike 99% the same. Going back to 2006 the bike is pretty much the same minus...
Well you can watch a review for 2015-2018 and the bike 99% the same. Going back to 2006 the bike is pretty much the same minus some little things like bars, graphics, rear plastics, wheel color, etc. They are great bikes and do everything well but the YZ250F is absolutely awesome bike.
yeah had a look but they didn't go right into depth with comparing each bikes performance but man them bikes went hard on the track
cody41
9/14/2018 1:57pm
cody41 wrote:
I own a yz250 and love it. The only negative about the 2 stroke is the vibration, but a rubber mounted top clamp will help. The...
catmaw1210 wrote:
thanks, Cody how is the maintenance for the yz250 go about my mate's bikes always need something fixed on them I just want something I can...
thanks, Cody how is the maintenance for the yz250 go about my mate's bikes always need something fixed on them I just want something I can do minimal maintenance and be able to go crazy on it. without it breaking down in the middle of the woods with me
They’re solid from my experience. I race A class and it has been holding up well. I put a new clutch and top end in at 30hrs and will do a full rebuild at 60. I torque the spokes after ever ride, oil every 2-3 rides, and torque everything/clean/grease everything at 20hrs and the bike feels new still. Both bikes will hold up great
stone881
9/14/2018 3:17pm
Straight track/racing, or a mix of riding?

Track= 250f
Everything= Smoker
9/14/2018 3:54pm
I just rode a 18 yz250fx last weekend, seemed like a really easy to ride bike, smooth good power and manageable. I rode it right after my yz250, definitely a hard call. They both are solid units
9/14/2018 7:25pm
I own both a YZ250 and YZ250F. They are both older models, but feel like I can give some input regarding what it takes to keep them running and as well as riding them back to back. I dont race MX, just a couple C Senior Scrambles a year and the rest tough single track. Put 150-200 hrs a year on the YZ250, my primary bike and do all the maintenance on both bikes.

The two stroke once sorted for your riding style will cost significantly less and take less time to maintain. Its also cheaper to change the state of tune to match your riding style. I generally go no more than 100 hrs on my top ends of either bike, checking at 25, 50, 75. If my compression or leakdown figures move before 100hrs, I tear down sooner. The two stroke crank seems to last longer than 250F fourstrokes (I dont know why). I've got over 300 on the current YZ250 crank and will be changing out the next top end. I've seen some 250F heads shot in less than 100 hrs.

My younger riding buddies who are still racing a lot of MX and at a higher level than my pace are changing out their pistons at anywhere from 25-50 hours of either flavor. No race bike is going to give you ride and forget about maintenance regardless of flavor even if trail ridden mostly. Thats what TTR is for.

The YZ250 is more fun for me to ride offroad in tight technical terrain with its low rpm instant punch and lack of flame out, thats why it gets the most hours each year. The 250F is easier ride for longer periods, and frankly just as fast or faster in flowing terrain for me. Just takes less to stay on top of it when going fast. Pretty much the same as the mag articles or any of my riding buddies who own both will say.

If you are concerned about maintenance, I'd really caution you about buying a used 250F unless its a very low hour bike and you know its history even if less than a year old. Its all about hours and maintenance. Any bike I have ever bought used was immediately torn down and given a fresh top end to ensure I know what I have. Once a 250F blows, they are very very expensive to rebuild. Hence a used YZ250 being a little less risk to buy used.

Just my experience, others may vary. Both great bikes!

Post a reply to: 2018 YZ250 & YZ250F which is better

The Latest