2018 YZ125 first ride report

Well technically not 1st ride but 1st time taking it to the track. A little backstory first, I’m 28 years old and have not ridden a track in about 8-9 years. My last bikes I owned that I rode tracks with were a 07 and 08 yz250fs. I used to ride a couple times a week back when I was 19-20 years old but never really liked the 4 strokes. 1st session out was when the track was sloppy and deep. The bike wouldn’t get out of its own way and I thought I was in for a long day. As soon as the track dried out a little I was ecstatic. This 125 is the easiest riding bike I’ve ever owned. I could put it wherever I wanted and the suspension has not been touched since I bought it. It did take me a little to adapt to rolling through the corners to keep the momentum up so it would stay in the power. Overall feeling a 10/10 and re lit the fire I once had for riding tracks
|
plowboy
7/8/2018 12:53pm
Well technically not 1st ride but 1st time taking it to the track. A little backstory first, I’m 28 years old and have not ridden a...
Well technically not 1st ride but 1st time taking it to the track. A little backstory first, I’m 28 years old and have not ridden a track in about 8-9 years. My last bikes I owned that I rode tracks with were a 07 and 08 yz250fs. I used to ride a couple times a week back when I was 19-20 years old but never really liked the 4 strokes. 1st session out was when the track was sloppy and deep. The bike wouldn’t get out of its own way and I thought I was in for a long day. As soon as the track dried out a little I was ecstatic. This 125 is the easiest riding bike I’ve ever owned. I could put it wherever I wanted and the suspension has not been touched since I bought it. It did take me a little to adapt to rolling through the corners to keep the momentum up so it would stay in the power. Overall feeling a 10/10 and re lit the fire I once had for riding tracks
That's what I'm talkin' about. I'm 6'3" and 220lbs so my eighth litre days are over but I sure remember the fun. Ride on brother.
7/8/2018 5:56pm
Well technically not 1st ride but 1st time taking it to the track. A little backstory first, I’m 28 years old and have not ridden a...
plowboy wrote:
That's what I'm talkin' about. I'm 6'3" and 220lbs so my eighth litre days are over but I sure remember the fun. Ride on brother.
Thanks! Can’t believe how 1 bike can make riding that much more fun again
usafwx
7/9/2018 3:06am
All my thumper buddies kept saying, "don't buy a 125, you'll hate it" "you'll regret moving back from a 250F" etc. etc. When I sold my 16 yz250f for my 16 yz125 I fell in love with moto all over again. Nice choice and congrats!
7/9/2018 4:10am
Good to know the Yami 125s are still putting smiles on faces.
I was told the same thing “don’t get a 150, it won’t be fun after a month”....well, 6 years on and I’m still absolutely loving it! Now some of friends are getting them too.

The Shop

7/9/2018 7:10am
usafwx wrote:
All my thumper buddies kept saying, "don't buy a 125, you'll hate it" "you'll regret moving back from a 250F" etc. etc. When I sold my...
All my thumper buddies kept saying, "don't buy a 125, you'll hate it" "you'll regret moving back from a 250F" etc. etc. When I sold my 16 yz250f for my 16 yz125 I fell in love with moto all over again. Nice choice and congrats!
Did you do anything to your 125 to get a little more out of it or keep it stock? The only thing right off the bat I want to do is add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket. Just to keep mxa mag happy and all
7/9/2018 7:50am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2018 7:54am
usafwx wrote:
All my thumper buddies kept saying, "don't buy a 125, you'll hate it" "you'll regret moving back from a 250F" etc. etc. When I sold my...
I bought a '16 KX250F and rode it for a bit. Then got my son an '04 KX125. Rode it and bought myself an '02 RM 134. When I took the 250F and RM both to the track (not racing... just practice), I'd ride the 250F for 2 laps and get back on the RM. So, after a few months of that, sold the 250F. Took the money and scored two KDX's and still had enough $$$ left over that I'm on the hunt for a couple of used trials bikes now.

Anyway... that 250F was a great bike but I don't miss it one bit. The 125's are big fun.

The ironically funny thing about all this is that I was on my way to get an '06 RM 125 when I stopped at my dealer's and ended up getting the NOS '16 KX250F. A year later, I was on the RM anyway. However... I'd never had a 250F and I know that if I'd gone straight to the RM I'd always wonder what a 250F would be like. So, got that out of my system. When I'm riding the KDX's- which I just got "done" with last week- I'm thinking "Why in the world would I want another 4S?!" The KDX 220 is a tractor!! And it cost $125 to rebuild the top end....
usafwx
7/9/2018 8:23am
Did you do anything to your 125 to get a little more out of it or keep it stock? The only thing right off the bat...
Did you do anything to your 125 to get a little more out of it or keep it stock? The only thing right off the bat I want to do is add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket. Just to keep mxa mag happy and all
Yep added a tooth to the rear and a shorty for the silencer (sound cool only) and stock pipe. Amazing pretty much in stock form. Enjoy!
usafwx
7/9/2018 8:25am
I bought a '16 KX250F and rode it for a bit. Then got my son an '04 KX125. Rode it and bought myself an '02 RM...
I bought a '16 KX250F and rode it for a bit. Then got my son an '04 KX125. Rode it and bought myself an '02 RM 134. When I took the 250F and RM both to the track (not racing... just practice), I'd ride the 250F for 2 laps and get back on the RM. So, after a few months of that, sold the 250F. Took the money and scored two KDX's and still had enough $$$ left over that I'm on the hunt for a couple of used trials bikes now.

Anyway... that 250F was a great bike but I don't miss it one bit. The 125's are big fun.

The ironically funny thing about all this is that I was on my way to get an '06 RM 125 when I stopped at my dealer's and ended up getting the NOS '16 KX250F. A year later, I was on the RM anyway. However... I'd never had a 250F and I know that if I'd gone straight to the RM I'd always wonder what a 250F would be like. So, got that out of my system. When I'm riding the KDX's- which I just got "done" with last week- I'm thinking "Why in the world would I want another 4S?!" The KDX 220 is a tractor!! And it cost $125 to rebuild the top end....
Exactly! I can do a top end in the 125 in an hour with my eyes closed and for cheap. But it's not the trend right now...

Post a reply to: 2018 YZ125 first ride report

The Latest