2018 YZ 250f Clutch problems

motokid15
Fantasy
628th
I’m having problems with my 2018 yz250f clutch, unlike most clutches where when it gets hot and gains free play my clutch gets stiff even after adjusting the cable all the way in. The bike usually last about three motos until the clutch is completely burned up and I’m pushing the bike back to the truck. I have tried a rekluse and Hinson and currently have an oem one back in the bike and it lasted about 2 hours of riding before it went bad. Any advice helps thanks.
|
motokid15
Fantasy
628th
11/20/2019 7:00am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Stay off the damn clutch.
Have a 2019 250f and have no problems clutch lasts 15hrs
Uncle Tony
11/20/2019 10:16am
I have a yz125 and get about 15 hours, my friend has the same bike and is lucky to get 5 hours

I also have a 17 Honda 450 and got 50 hours out of the clutch, and another bud has the same bike and would only get one race (4 motos and morning practice) he complained to Honda and they told him it was him not the bike

The Shop

c0ncEpT
11/20/2019 10:53am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2019 10:57am
I put 45 hours of strictly moto on a 2016 YZ250F. Original clutch.

Are you sure you're putting it together properly?
rob162
11/20/2019 10:55am
Im not quite a clutch abuser anymore but I've got 33hrs on a stock 18 cltuch and it's still decent. Probably needed to be changed at 20-25. I do know when i ride tight tracks and deep sand tracks I need a clutch much sooner.

Please describe your riding style, tracks and terrain you ride most often.
motokid15
Fantasy
628th
11/20/2019 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2019 1:36pm
rob162 wrote:
Im not quite a clutch abuser anymore but I've got 33hrs on a stock 18 cltuch and it's still decent. Probably needed to be changed at...
Im not quite a clutch abuser anymore but I've got 33hrs on a stock 18 cltuch and it's still decent. Probably needed to be changed at 20-25. I do know when i ride tight tracks and deep sand tracks I need a clutch much sooner.

I race the nationals as a privateer so I’m hard on the bike no doubt but no one can figure out what is happening so I’m reaching out on here to see if anyone has had similar issues. The tracks I ride are usually rough and rutted but not too deep, I use the clutch but not to a point to where I think it should be going out every 2 hrs like I said my practice bike usually has about 20hrs on it before I change it.
motokid15
Fantasy
628th
11/20/2019 1:37pm
rob162 wrote:
Im not quite a clutch abuser anymore but I've got 33hrs on a stock 18 cltuch and it's still decent. Probably needed to be changed at...

motokid15 wrote:
I race the nationals as a privateer so I’m hard on the bike no doubt but no one can figure out what is happening so I’m...
I race the nationals as a privateer so I’m hard on the bike no doubt but no one can figure out what is happening so I’m reaching out on here to see if anyone has had similar issues. The tracks I ride are usually rough and rutted but not too deep, I use the clutch but not to a point to where I think it should be going out every 2 hrs like I said my practice bike usually has about 20hrs on it before I change it.
Uncle Tony
11/20/2019 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2019 2:07pm
I noticed on Yamaha two strokes the pressure plate and hub (Yamaha calls it a boss) wear as the clutch wear, when you change the clutch change the pressure plate and hub, that’s what I do

When I first start riding the Yamaha I replaced just the plates and the clutch went pretty fast, those parts are less than 100 bucks for the 125

Good luck
rob162
11/20/2019 2:11pm
My guess would be there is somthing not in spec with the accuating arm all the way through to the top hat may need to be shimmed or somthing is hanging up in that area causing excess wear. Check the spec on how far the pressure plate is supposed to move when the clutch is in and the spec for that top hat you may need a shim or to remove a shim.

If both motors are the exact same build they should wear very similar. If your practice bikes clutch is good I would pull the full clutch,arm assembly, rod, ball and top hat from your practice bike and switch it to the race bike and see.

Going by what you said it doesn't sound like the clutch basket, hub or plate. Have you changed the cable I have seen defective cables cause odd issues. Both from oem and aftermarket. I had a motion pro one time cause the bike to act like the clutch had broken plates. Ran fine from low to mid but from mid up it just reved like the clutch was pulled in. Threw the stock junk cable back on and it was fine. Also had a oem cable turn out to be almost 1/2 inch short. Constant clutch fade.

motokid15
Fantasy
628th
11/20/2019 4:09pm
rob162 wrote:
My guess would be there is somthing not in spec with the accuating arm all the way through to the top hat may need to be...
My guess would be there is somthing not in spec with the accuating arm all the way through to the top hat may need to be shimmed or somthing is hanging up in that area causing excess wear. Check the spec on how far the pressure plate is supposed to move when the clutch is in and the spec for that top hat you may need a shim or to remove a shim.

If both motors are the exact same build they should wear very similar. If your practice bikes clutch is good I would pull the full clutch,arm assembly, rod, ball and top hat from your practice bike and switch it to the race bike and see.

Going by what you said it doesn't sound like the clutch basket, hub or plate. Have you changed the cable I have seen defective cables cause odd issues. Both from oem and aftermarket. I had a motion pro one time cause the bike to act like the clutch had broken plates. Ran fine from low to mid but from mid up it just reved like the clutch was pulled in. Threw the stock junk cable back on and it was fine. Also had a oem cable turn out to be almost 1/2 inch short. Constant clutch fade.

I will try this thank you!
ctbale
11/20/2019 9:20pm
rob162 wrote:
My guess would be there is somthing not in spec with the accuating arm all the way through to the top hat may need to be...

motokid15 wrote:
I will try this thank you!
maybe even swap lever/perch too? Good ideas rob162. I work on aircraft and swapping parts to see if the symptom follows or not has saved my ass dozens of times over the years.
milamcreek
11/20/2019 9:29pm
Uncle Tony wrote:
I noticed on Yamaha two strokes the pressure plate and hub (Yamaha calls it a boss) wear as the clutch wear, when you change the clutch...
I noticed on Yamaha two strokes the pressure plate and hub (Yamaha calls it a boss) wear as the clutch wear, when you change the clutch change the pressure plate and hub, that’s what I do

When I first start riding the Yamaha I replaced just the plates and the clutch went pretty fast, those parts are less than 100 bucks for the 125

Good luck
This
I bet your pressure plate has grooves or it is worn as well as the hub. Change them problem solved
Paw Paw 271
11/21/2019 5:38am
If an incorrect oil is being used it will allow the clutch to burn up quickly.
What oil are you using?

Paw Paw
rob162
11/21/2019 6:52am
I would tend to agree but he mentioned he had a brand new hinson and rekluse that he put in. Unless he just put in the basket. Then that could be.
rryker
11/21/2019 11:42am
Had a 2017 and changed the clutch lever and perch and had the exact same thing happen to us at Loretta's a couple of years ago. It had a full Hinson clutch in it. Went back to a OEM lever and perch and had zero issues.
c0ncEpT
11/21/2019 11:46am
rryker wrote:
Had a 2017 and changed the clutch lever and perch and had the exact same thing happen to us at Loretta's a couple of years ago...
Had a 2017 and changed the clutch lever and perch and had the exact same thing happen to us at Loretta's a couple of years ago. It had a full Hinson clutch in it. Went back to a OEM lever and perch and had zero issues.
What set up did you try?

I put an ARC perch/lever on mine before I ever rode the bike and never had a problem.

I do agree the clutch must be consistently slipping to cause it to burn up in 2 hours.
11/22/2019 8:31pm
How do your springs look? Excessive heat will kill the springs and you won’t have enough clamping force
adamjj513
9/13/2022 9:24am
motokid15 wrote:
I’m having problems with my 2018 yz250f clutch, unlike most clutches where when it gets hot and gains free play my clutch gets stiff even after...
I’m having problems with my 2018 yz250f clutch, unlike most clutches where when it gets hot and gains free play my clutch gets stiff even after adjusting the cable all the way in. The bike usually last about three motos until the clutch is completely burned up and I’m pushing the bike back to the truck. I have tried a rekluse and Hinson and currently have an oem one back in the bike and it lasted about 2 hours of riding before it went bad. Any advice helps thanks.
Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same issue on a 2021 yz250f

Post a reply to: 2018 YZ 250f Clutch problems

The Latest