2018 Suzuki RMZ450

TeamGreen
5/15/2018 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 10:35pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Amazing motorcycle that’s proving to be the most dependable production track bike I’ve had: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/15/261829/s1200_3063E596_B105_4761_971D_15FCD282B5C0.jpg[/img] It flies well, too!
Amazing motorcycle that’s proving to be the most dependable production track bike I’ve had:

It flies well, too!
Markee wrote:
Very nice, you do anything special to it? Suspension? Motor?

Turning 40 next month, some great prices are out there, thinking about getting one.
It's in Bike Builds: "...Vital Shootout Bike..."

Stock Motor
Yosh Ti-Carbon Sognature Series pipe
Factory Connection Suspension that is AMAZING
Currently Metzeler Mid-Hards
Guts Seat that grips like crazy
Renthal Chain & Sprockets
Rekluse Clutch Pack (soon to be a newly named product: clutch pack replacement kit)
Galfer 280nn Tsunami frt/Tsunami Rear Rotors and lines
VP Racing Fuels Leaded 110 lately/was running T4e before that
Stock Bars, Grips, Levers w/ Renthal grip donuts
Metzeler MC360 Mid-Hard tires w/Pirelli bibs (tubes suck!)
Asst'd Ti from Mettec and CDG.
CDG Carbonfiber Chain-Guide
CDG Carbonfiber Transponder bracket
Blue MotoHose Hoses that're gonna be replaced with the their New True Suzuki Blue hoses INCLUDING a New "Y" hose!

Estimate bike to be about 5 pounds lighter than stock.

Still running the stock plastic and early release graphics that came on the bike...IN AUGUST! Will be running UFO & 180 Decals graphics based on the HEP Suzuki Team look.

This bike has been amazingly dependable.
Luke_Himler
5/16/2018 7:46am
I love mine! Did pipe, Head, High Comp Piston, and Clutch! Made all the diffrence ,
motomike894
5/16/2018 2:03pm
I love mine! Did pipe, Head, High Comp Piston, and Clutch! Made all the diffrence [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/16/262109/s1200_download.jpg[/img],
I love mine! Did pipe, Head, High Comp Piston, and Clutch! Made all the diffrence ,
That chain you got in photo I bet made a huge difference in drag and weight Luke LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
5/17/2018 6:08am
Wiztardo wrote:
By the way, MXVet261- you weren't at Battlesburg MX a couple weekends ago were you? You are right next to where I am located and there...
By the way, MXVet261- you weren't at Battlesburg MX a couple weekends ago were you? You are right next to where I am located and there was a dude there with a new RMZ 450.
No, I have not been to the Burg in years.

I still don't have a ton of time on my new RMZ, but I love it. After the suspension work it's nice and balanced again which I felt was the biggest problem.

The Shop

lumpy790
5/17/2018 6:17am
TeamGreen wrote:
Amazing motorcycle that’s proving to be the most dependable production track bike I’ve had: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/15/261829/s1200_3063E596_B105_4761_971D_15FCD282B5C0.jpg[/img] It flies well, too!
Amazing motorcycle that’s proving to be the most dependable production track bike I’ve had:

It flies well, too!
rmgsxr wrote:
With a screen name like you have how do you expect us to believe that you know anything about yellow. I bet that photo is photoshopped.
TeamGreen wrote:
Moto-Photo-Forkner-Shopped:

I put Austin in a fat suit...send him out in my gear...

Voila!

I look FAST!
Heard there is a shop owner that has a fast son in the Midwest that could do that for you too.
Dustybottoms
9/25/2018 8:08am
MXVet261 wrote:
A lot of people have gotten hung up on the negatives about the new BFRC shock (mostly people that haven't ridden one) but here is something...
A lot of people have gotten hung up on the negatives about the new BFRC shock (mostly people that haven't ridden one) but here is something really cool about it and one of the reasons I was excited to try it.

Want to change your valving? No problem, no need to disassemble the whole shock, file peening off shock shafts, etc.

Let out the nitrogen, pop out the valving assembly, do your valving, re-assemble/bleed and you are good to go. You don't even need to dump out the shock fluid if you don't want to. And the included Suzuki Service Manual on DVD goes through the bleeding process step by step.

Below are my Race Tech Gold Valves getting ready to be installed.

A little off topic but what program did you use to open/run the Service Manual DVD? I have tried Adobe, VLC, and a few others without luck. Thank you in advance!
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
9/25/2018 8:36am
I had trouble with the Service DVD also.
The only way I can run it properly is by browsing the disc and opening index.html with Internet Explorer.
TeamGreen
9/25/2018 9:00am
MXVet261 wrote:
A lot of people have gotten hung up on the negatives about the new BFRC shock (mostly people that haven't ridden one) but here is something...
A lot of people have gotten hung up on the negatives about the new BFRC shock (mostly people that haven't ridden one) but here is something really cool about it and one of the reasons I was excited to try it.

Want to change your valving? No problem, no need to disassemble the whole shock, file peening off shock shafts, etc.

Let out the nitrogen, pop out the valving assembly, do your valving, re-assemble/bleed and you are good to go. You don't even need to dump out the shock fluid if you don't want to. And the included Suzuki Service Manual on DVD goes through the bleeding process step by step.

This is an EXCELLENT POINT!

Race Tech does great work and I'm pretty sure Mookie is a fan after I saw how well his MCR-Race Tech Honda worked at the Montreal Supercross.

I had my suspension done by Factory Connection and it's AMAZING. My rear shock adjustments work like a normal shock. Compression adjustments make a real difference compared to how it was stock (Stock the adjustments didn't seem to affect high-speed much). The shock takes a beating in shootout ratings because it's just too slow to respond to harsh kicks and bumps and it'll blow-thru the stroke at the strangest times.
twizzler
9/25/2018 11:53am
This past weekend at Pala I was riding my newer YZ450 which is commonly referred to as having the best engine and best suspension. I am not slow by any means Vet intermediate in SoCal. And I was caught and passed by a guy on a 31 yr old '87 RM250 bone stock with PC pipe...so yeah shootouts mean everything LOL.
Gary105
9/26/2018 9:53am
Love mine as well... Off season the suspension will be off to Factory Connection and a Hinson clutch with FMF exhaust will round things up.
Racer111
9/26/2018 4:36pm
I love mine! Did pipe, Head, High Comp Piston, and Clutch! Made all the diffrence [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/16/262109/s1200_download.jpg[/img],
Looks awesome! I love love love mine.
motofool
Fantasy
2126th
9/27/2018 3:57pm

Havent gotten to much time on mine this year as I have been working way more than I care to admit. I have around 20hrs on it now and by far the best things I've done to it are factory connection suspension and fmf exhaust. FC revalve made such a huge improvement I can say for a fact that with a revalve this thing is way better then my 15 (air forks are junk). Forks are amazing and I have no issues with the shock. Pipe wakes up the bottom end a decent amount, drops a few pounds and looks killer. You cant go wrong with the rmz there bulletproof, oh and they look so damn good!
9/30/2018 9:47am
motofool wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/27/289937/s1200_20180728_184623.jpg[/img] Havent gotten to much time on mine this year as I have been working way more than I care to admit. I have around 20hrs...

Havent gotten to much time on mine this year as I have been working way more than I care to admit. I have around 20hrs on it now and by far the best things I've done to it are factory connection suspension and fmf exhaust. FC revalve made such a huge improvement I can say for a fact that with a revalve this thing is way better then my 15 (air forks are junk). Forks are amazing and I have no issues with the shock. Pipe wakes up the bottom end a decent amount, drops a few pounds and looks killer. You cant go wrong with the rmz there bulletproof, oh and they look so damn good!
This sir is one of the better looking bikes I have seen! Looks heaps better than the current JGR or even RCH bikes from a few years back...
magoo1982
9/30/2018 10:29am
motofool wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/27/289937/s1200_20180728_184623.jpg[/img] Havent gotten to much time on mine this year as I have been working way more than I care to admit. I have around 20hrs...

This sir is one of the better looking bikes I have seen! Looks heaps better than the current JGR or even RCH bikes from a few...
This sir is one of the better looking bikes I have seen! Looks heaps better than the current JGR or even RCH bikes from a few years back...
Yes while all the other rms look great , love them gold rims and forks . always thought gold rims set a bike of best since the late 70s Husky s ...
Edd71
9/30/2018 11:57am
Do you run standard pump gas?
motofool
Fantasy
2126th
9/30/2018 3:27pm
motofool wrote:

This sir is one of the better looking bikes I have seen! Looks heaps better than the current JGR or even RCH bikes from a few...
Thanks, I tried to go for a real simple clean look Im not a fan of busy graphics. Still want to add some blue radiator hoses. Thinking about trying FCP Racing Motor mounts as well Interested if anyone else has tried them yet? Sounds like everyone who tries them likes them.
Dr.201
10/16/2018 10:47am
Here is my 18 rmz450. I bought it at the beginning of August with the $2500 rebate from Sloans in Murphreesboro Tennessee for $6500 out the door. I have absolutely no complaints and it still has stock suspension (30+A rider). I will be doing a full RG3 re-valve with the clamps and the link along with a set of yellow TCR wheels and a Yoshi slip on in the near future!

Dr.201
10/26/2018 10:33am
Does anybody on here have an RG3 revalve? I'm thinking it has to be pretty good since the guy who owns RG3 also does JGR's race team suspension work.
Rotaholic
11/13/2018 7:23pm
MXVet261 wrote:

Any update on how the shock is working out
Spinazuki
8/14/2019 3:08pm
I have always liked Suzuki's so the 2018 RMZ 450 for me was a no brainer, and I got mine for $6,750, no destination or setup fees, special deal. Love the slim design of the bike and the quality of Showa suspension. I will be buying the Gold valve because I feel the stock valve bodies are far too constricted. I believe the biggest problem can be found on the rebound valve, the check sleeve. If you look at the sheer about of oil having to pass through the smaller 8 ports on each valve, you want oil to as freely as possible get to the rebound side of the shock. The check sleeve only lifts 1mm off the rebound valve body. Should be twice that. On the compression stroke, I want the valving to be the restricting point, not anything behind it. Watch the shock cavitation videos on youtube and you'll get a picture of what is going on with the rebound side with big hits. This explains the inconsistent behavior. I have some longer check sleeves I'll be testing which are will allow the check valve on the rebound valve body to lift 2mm instead of 1. Pictured.
Spinazuki
8/14/2019 3:12pm
Many of you may have seen this. If the excessive restriction can be removed which starve the rebound side of oil and thereby stop cavitation, the shock can then be evaluated and tuned. I could have gone to Factory Connect or RG3 like many others did, but I wouldn't know if they compensated with the valve shims. I had to know myself.

The 3rd item up from the bottom is the check sleeve. To me this is definitely a major problem that needs to be resolved before anything else.
Spinazuki
8/14/2019 3:28pm
If I'm correct, on larger hits or successive bumps, I believe cavitation is happening on the rebound side (never a good thing) which is what is causing the wallowy feeling, or the weird pogo stick rear. Starve the rebound and you've got a scary confidence-uninspiring ride. This is what 1mm looks like. All that oil trying to make its way to the rebound side of the shock being slowed by this. I want the compression slowing to be the shim stack, NOT a check valve getting in the way. This is not to say there is no need for valving, but with this little gem in the way, it'll always be inconsistent.
Spinazuki
8/14/2019 3:41pm
Last one. With the Gold Valve, there is vastly more area to help get oil to the rebound side. The ports for feeding the rebound are the 6 ports (which have the separator in the same port). Normally I think most stock Showa or KYB valve bodies are sufficient and can work great, but I feel that in the case of the BFRC, this valve makes sense. IMHO this is a far better design.

Oil is non compressible, but it can be stretched, and that is cavitation, a vacuum. NOT GOOD when you are dealing with rebound.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
8/14/2019 4:15pm
Spinazuki wrote:
Last one. With the Gold Valve, there is vastly more area to help get oil to the rebound side. The ports for feeding the rebound are...
Last one. With the Gold Valve, there is vastly more area to help get oil to the rebound side. The ports for feeding the rebound are the 6 ports (which have the separator in the same port). Normally I think most stock Showa or KYB valve bodies are sufficient and can work great, but I feel that in the case of the BFRC, this valve makes sense. IMHO this is a far better design.

Oil is non compressible, but it can be stretched, and that is cavitation, a vacuum. NOT GOOD when you are dealing with rebound.
Yeah, i see what you're saying. But what is volume of the ports that are feeding the rebound before the valving as opposed to after? And what is the limit of 10wt oil before cavitation?
Asking for a friend
Spinazuki
8/14/2019 5:09pm
Spinazuki wrote:
Last one. With the Gold Valve, there is vastly more area to help get oil to the rebound side. The ports for feeding the rebound are...

SLAPAHO wrote:
Yeah, i see what you're saying. But what is volume of the ports that are feeding the rebound before the valving as opposed to after? And...
Yeah, i see what you're saying. But what is volume of the ports that are feeding the rebound before the valving as opposed to after? And what is the limit of 10wt oil before cavitation?
Asking for a friend
I measured the shorter side of the valve body, the port is roughly 4.71mm tall by 4.71mm wide (electronic caliper). That equals 22.184 sq mm x 8 = 177.47. The cross section of the oil (less the 16mm rod) is 1,184mm. The percentage of that area of flowing oil through the ports to the check valve is 14.99mm. I'm only talking about. The "Rings" are what I call the area between the casting and the check valve or shims. The area of the "rings" around the compression side of the check valve is 348.72mm, or 25.17% of the cross section of the incoming oil. The choke point as I see it is the check at just 12.29mm. Increasing the check sleeve by 2x increases this to 24.58% which is all it needs. The choke points beyond that are the ports themselves. I need to try the check first to see what it really does. I don't have a flow test bench or see through plumbing. The best test would be a hydraulic pump flowing oil through the valve to see what's really happening. If the shock is inconsistent, harsh or hard, then soft and wallowy rebounding way too fast it has to be cavitation. Slow speed the shock works ok, as speeds increase it goes haywire. I've read this many times and I think the consensus is there is a flow problem. IMHO. Sharing because the Suzuki mainly because of the BFRC has taken a beating in the press. If it had a 2014 through 2017 shock I have no doubt the bike would have fared much better in the shootouts. Frankly I'm not sure if the BFRC is fixable. The oil has to take a long path to the rebound side and back, a conventional shock the oil just has to make it to the other side of the shim stack. Maybe that's as good as it can ever get? Suzuki seems to be digging in their heels on this shock. I do this as a hobby and I'm happy to share what I know. I ran a suspension business for 4 years in the 90s. It's about helping people enjoy their bikes more at this point.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
8/14/2019 5:24pm
i was just kidding man, it's all chinese to me. i just made that shit up.

i set my sag and maybe play with the clickers a little, that's about it Cheerful
buzz06
8/14/2019 5:36pm
So I’ve had one of these since October, initially I absolutely hated it. Once the chassis broke in (about 6hours) it started to get better. I’ve added the pro circuit link, suspension redone by KB5 and drilled the upper engine mounts and made new front engine mounts. The power delivery is fantastic and the clutch is solid after pulling the judder springs but I just can’t get this bike to handle. I bought a suzuki due to all the claims of superb handling and I’m just not feeling it.

My previous bike was a 2009 kx450, that thing was awesome. Turned in super easy, held a line like a champ and overall had a very comfortable and confidence inspiring feel. The RMZ is a complete 180, I feel I have to ride it in anger to get it to work for me, I have to really try to keep it in a rut and it takes some effort to get it to start turning. I’ve tried sag numbers from 100-108, different fork springs and many different clicker settings. Starting to think maybe this bike just doesn’t suit the way I ride.

So my question is has anyone else had similar experience with this bike? Was there a fix or was the bike just not for you?

Post a reply to: 2018 Suzuki RMZ450

The Latest