2018 Suzuki RMZ450

Beeler341
2/13/2018 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 10/9/2019 11:21am
So for the guys who have one or have rode one. What’s your thought on it so far? Post some pics up of your ride.
|
2/13/2018 6:29pm
I've been on Suzuki since '96, I went from the '17 RMZ450 to the '18 and it's a much better bike. I added a Ride Engineering link and once you get the bike balanced the suspension is superb. Also ditch the stock front tire for a Dunlop, Pirelli or Michelin.

2/13/2018 6:32pm
I've been on Suzuki since '96, I went from the '17 RMZ450 to the '18 and it's a much better bike. I added a Ride Engineering...
I've been on Suzuki since '96, I went from the '17 RMZ450 to the '18 and it's a much better bike. I added a Ride Engineering link and once you get the bike balanced the suspension is superb. Also ditch the stock front tire for a Dunlop, Pirelli or Michelin.

Any issues with the rear shock?
2/13/2018 6:37pm
Has anyone ever NOT liked their Suzuki?

It's typically cheaper than the rest. It's a great bike. It's won a ton of championships since RC started riding one.

Yet it's not the best selling bike. Biggest complaint is "resale value".

Very odd IMO.
tylermx967
2/13/2018 6:38pm
WE NO A OLDER KID THAT BUYED THIS SUSZUKI AND ALSO TRY MY DADS BIKE AND HE SAY THE ALL NEW SUSZUKI GOTS MORE POWER THAN THE 2012

The Shop

Kyle_McNab
2/13/2018 6:54pm
Ive only ridden Suzuki but i have a 2013 rmz 250 super reliable...the chassis is really solid. Way cheaper than the others bike . if you get a pipe and your suspension revalued and new shock its pretty dang good. Dont know why more weekend warriors dont get them
gsxr6
2/13/2018 7:23pm
I avoid Suzuki's from buddy's who never made fifty hours before issues. Anecdotal personal evidence would suggest even kawi are better imo. 80 hours on my 14 yz450f, 1 oil change. Starts on a couple kicks like it always did, flatout rips. Not even a loose spoke ever lol. I go over the spokes on my 17 crf450 every ride, as it's necessary. Bottom line, I think everybody has a buddy or two with a Suzuki story lol. Like, one buddy's coolant nipple came out the head!?! Lol toast in minutes. 11 rmz450. The hose was still clamped to the nipple lol. No thanks pass
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
2/13/2018 7:27pm
Has anyone ever NOT liked their Suzuki? It's typically cheaper than the rest. It's a great bike. It's won a ton of championships since RC started...

It's typically cheaper than the rest. It's a great bike. It's won a ton of championships since RC started riding one.

Very odd IMO.
I don't get the whole resale argument. Typically, the bikes are priced lower than other manufacturer bikes when new especially if you buy a model year late in the year (yet still new). So ya, they sell for less after being used, but they were bought for less when new. In terms of "value" (being what you get based on what you pay), Suzuki is a very good value IMO. Rock solid reliability and very good performance. Yes, the technology may not be what some of the other manufacturers are rolling out, but they are still great bikes. I think they fit a niche market where riders can get a new bike at a lower price point than the other manufacturer bikes, yet it is still a very capable machine along with great reliability.
BobPA
2/13/2018 7:33pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I avoid Suzuki's from buddy's who never made fifty hours before issues. Anecdotal personal evidence would suggest even kawi are better imo. 80 hours on my...
I avoid Suzuki's from buddy's who never made fifty hours before issues. Anecdotal personal evidence would suggest even kawi are better imo. 80 hours on my 14 yz450f, 1 oil change. Starts on a couple kicks like it always did, flatout rips. Not even a loose spoke ever lol. I go over the spokes on my 17 crf450 every ride, as it's necessary. Bottom line, I think everybody has a buddy or two with a Suzuki story lol. Like, one buddy's coolant nipple came out the head!?! Lol toast in minutes. 11 rmz450. The hose was still clamped to the nipple lol. No thanks pass
1 oil change in 80 hours? Please do not sell your bikes to a close friend.
Superdave19
2/13/2018 7:40pm
-Had great luck w/ my ol 15' Zuk- had about 80 hrs on it before I did the 1st Top End. Original piston looked perfect. No issues what so ever.

Kinda miss it actually. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
2/13/2018 7:46pm
BobPA wrote:
1 oil change in 80 hours? Please do not sell your bikes to a close friend.
^ This. Or anyone for that matter.
2/13/2018 7:49pm
I love my 14 rmz450. Easy to ride on a track. Looking at an 18. Just worried about the rear shock for mx. Heard it has a wollow feel to it.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
2/13/2018 7:53pm
I love my 14 rmz450. Easy to ride on a track. Looking at an 18. Just worried about the rear shock for mx. Heard it has...
I love my 14 rmz450. Easy to ride on a track. Looking at an 18. Just worried about the rear shock for mx. Heard it has a wollow feel to it.
ENZO
TeamGreen
2/13/2018 8:04pm
Over 50 hours and loving it.
Gixxxerboy
2/13/2018 8:12pm
I've been on Suzuki since '96, I went from the '17 RMZ450 to the '18 and it's a much better bike. I added a Ride Engineering...

I’m a Yamaha guy but that is one bad looking scooter!!!
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
2/13/2018 8:22pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I avoid Suzuki's from buddy's who never made fifty hours before issues. Anecdotal personal evidence would suggest even kawi are better imo. 80 hours on my...
80 hours on 1 oil change..... so, so sad. Poor bike,whatever the brand.
dadofagun
Fantasy
2117th
2/13/2018 8:26pm
Lubed your chain yet?
Bruce372
2/13/2018 8:51pm
The rmz450 engine is solid reliable and makes great bottom end, I always swapped out clutches to aftermarket after having them go out on many Suzukis I've owned.... The oil looks loads better once i did that mod.

Things I didn't like are crap brakes, and expensive parts. As for resale, it's bad. Real bad, not only do you loose more, you end up dealing with real low ballers and bottom feeders. I decided to keep my 2015 and let it gather dust to save the hassle.

The biggest complaint on my 2015 was poor starting despite the engine upgrades, and it would flame out at the worst times. If you wanna trouble shoot the efi, good luck finding someone that can change the maps.

I've had 5 Suzukis, loved them all and still own 2, but my eyes aren't blind to their shortcomings.... just like they aren't blind to the shortcomings on the huskys
mark_swart
2/13/2018 9:14pm
I know two dudes who bought '18 RMZ 450s and had them sold or up for sale within five months. One went to a CRF 450, another to a KTM 350 FWIW.

My last one was a '12, I ended up selling it because I didn't like the weight.
xr70
2/13/2018 9:44pm
My buddy Tucker just got one last week, he is coming from 17 Ktm what broke in half on him. So far he is really happy with it . I did not ride it yet but bike feels slim when u siding on it . On close up the finish is not like Honda but the welds on frame are cleaner than mine 18 yami. Bike is sort of older technology but nothing wrong with that. One thing I don't like , the engine doesn't have oil window or dipstick , u mast take bolt out of clutch cover to check engine oil. He put some heavy springs in and likes the suspension, no complaints on the shock. He likes the power, good low end . He is a pretty fast vet rider over 50.
gsxr6
2/13/2018 10:30pm
gsxr6 wrote:
dadofagun wrote:
I laugh at goons who don't get 80 hours and change there oil every couple. Checked before last ride def time, by no means is it terrible. I do use motul lol. But yeah the things bullet proof. I change the oil on the 17 crf every 3 hours lol the Yamaha will walk it no probs. Love that bike
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/13/2018 10:47pm
gsxr6 wrote:
dadofagun wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
I laugh at goons who don't get 80 hours and change there oil every couple. Checked before last ride def time, by no means is it...
I laugh at goons who don't get 80 hours and change there oil every couple. Checked before last ride def time, by no means is it terrible. I do use motul lol. But yeah the things bullet proof. I change the oil on the 17 crf every 3 hours lol the Yamaha will walk it no probs. Love that bike
80 hours is crazy! I’d never go more than 5-6. My oil gets dirty after 4-5 on my 14 yz. I paid way too much for the bike to chance not changing $8 worth of oil. But to each their own right?
2/13/2018 11:44pm
dadofagun wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
I laugh at goons who don't get 80 hours and change there oil every couple. Checked before last ride def time, by no means is it...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
80 hours is crazy! I’d never go more than 5-6. My oil gets dirty after 4-5 on my 14 yz. I paid way too much for...
80 hours is crazy! I’d never go more than 5-6. My oil gets dirty after 4-5 on my 14 yz. I paid way too much for the bike to chance not changing $8 worth of oil. But to each their own right?
It’s not crazy. I’ve made my case on this already tho. Dont care to again. It’s like arguing religion or politics. Nobody has any interest in chsnging their beliefs on the topic.
2/13/2018 11:47pm
Bruce372 wrote:
The rmz450 engine is solid reliable and makes great bottom end, I always swapped out clutches to aftermarket after having them go out on many Suzukis...
The rmz450 engine is solid reliable and makes great bottom end, I always swapped out clutches to aftermarket after having them go out on many Suzukis I've owned.... The oil looks loads better once i did that mod.

Things I didn't like are crap brakes, and expensive parts. As for resale, it's bad. Real bad, not only do you loose more, you end up dealing with real low ballers and bottom feeders. I decided to keep my 2015 and let it gather dust to save the hassle.

The biggest complaint on my 2015 was poor starting despite the engine upgrades, and it would flame out at the worst times. If you wanna trouble shoot the efi, good luck finding someone that can change the maps.

I've had 5 Suzukis, loved them all and still own 2, but my eyes aren't blind to their shortcomings.... just like they aren't blind to the shortcomings on the huskys
Makes me wonder what Suzuki coupd ever do to really regain some market share or be a “must have” bike.

These 5 things should be standard on any bike these days:

- programable EFI
- electric start
- hydraulic clutch
- quality brakes
- easy access air filter

walent215
2/14/2018 3:44am
Bruce372 wrote:
The rmz450 engine is solid reliable and makes great bottom end, I always swapped out clutches to aftermarket after having them go out on many Suzukis...

I had the same issue with stalling on my 2012. Clutch was horrible, put a rekluse manual in and it would still " creep" . It ran good for the most part but i just did not get that warm fuzzy with that bike at all. I had graeme do the suspension, put full fmf, vortex ecu, clutch , front brake of course and some other small things. It only lasted a few months in my garage. It was extremely clean and i only got $2600 for it.....lol
make1go
2/14/2018 3:52am
Has anyone ever NOT liked their Suzuki? It's typically cheaper than the rest. It's a great bike. It's won a ton of championships since RC started...

Very odd IMO.
Lotsa purchase justification goes on

. Quite simply it appears they changed a lot, but it wasnt changed well enough to drag it out of its multi year cellar dweller position, and no matter how much Manny sings its praises there are overall better bikes for most.
305FC250
2/14/2018 3:53am
gsxr6 wrote:
This is why I don't buy used bikes. Even if I have to stretch financially or make sacrifices to buy new. Refuse to deal with this kind of shit.

suzook241
2/14/2018 5:06am
10 hours on my 18 so far and I love it.

Initial report from me right out of the box and onto the track... felt like a suzuki to me, I didn't have to change my riding to suit the bike. It felt just like the earlier models just thinner at the mid-frame area. I set the sag at 105mm and I thought the shock did a decent job however I thought it could be better.

Sent the suspension out and had everything revalved and sprung for my weight and added a link. The feel I couldn't get with the shock in stock form I have now after a revalve and a link. Motor wise, real feel seat of the pants feel....

My experience with suzuki has been great as far as reliability goes. Normal maintenance done on every machine I have owned at normal intervals. Truth be told, the model I had the most trouble with was the 04-06 RMZ 250.... and even then that wasn't terrible. Like i stated in another thread a few weeks back, every model has stuff they do well and stuff they don't, and i mean that from both the engineering standpoint and from the track standpoint. It comes down to the owner, how they ride the bike, the maintenance that is performed and what feel they are after.... to each their own
walent215
2/14/2018 5:43am
Mine creeped with the clutch in even after putting a full rekluse manual torq drive. Not sure why but it does effect rideability as mine stalled way too often.
motomike894
2/14/2018 7:02am
I love my 18 so far only have like 7ish hours on it, got suspension revalved and it’s way better now, probably going to add link and going to get pipe and little misc things, going to be curious to ride the bike on a super rough track to really test suspension.

I’ve had 3 - rmz450’s and never had single issue with any of them.

Post a reply to: 2018 Suzuki RMZ450

The Latest