2018 Supercross Format Changes

Roorda085
10/23/2017 6:21pm
Since there are 2 East/West shootouts, is one of the coasts going to have less races in their championship?

This may have a bit of an effect on end of year points and next years racing number.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/23/2017 6:46pm
Roorda085 wrote:
Since there are 2 East/West shootouts, is one of the coasts going to have less races in their championship? This may have a bit of an...
Since there are 2 East/West shootouts, is one of the coasts going to have less races in their championship?

This may have a bit of an effect on end of year points and next years racing number.
That is going to happen. It has happened before with 1 coast having more races, but back then they didn't award points for national numbers.

It looks like 10 West rounds to 9 East rounds. They need to add 1 more E/W race from the West coast races to balance it out. Maybe Houston (if it wasn't race #2) or Dallas. I get they don't want to make the first East round an E/W race, but they have done that in the past and the series that was already racing normally won the race.
d394
10/23/2017 7:29pm
THIS is death to the privateers, especially the 250 riders that usually qualify in the 25-40 range. Having multiple east west shootouts along with the "triple crown" will have these guys waisting time and money showing up.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
10/23/2017 7:51pm
d394 wrote:
THIS is death to the privateers, especially the 250 riders that usually qualify in the 25-40 range. Having multiple east west shootouts along with the "triple...
THIS is death to the privateers, especially the 250 riders that usually qualify in the 25-40 range. Having multiple east west shootouts along with the "triple crown" will have these guys waisting time and money showing up.
Why is this especially bad for 250 riders? It's only one extra shootout.

The Shop

d394
10/23/2017 8:28pm
d394 wrote:
THIS is death to the privateers, especially the 250 riders that usually qualify in the 25-40 range. Having multiple east west shootouts along with the "triple...
RichieW13 wrote:
Basically the 450 privateers will have the triple crown, 3 rounds that they will not stand a chance (for a qualifying position into the night program.) Now for the 250 riders, they will have 2 shootouts and 3 rounds totaling 5 rounds in which only team riders will actually make the night program. It's pretty rare that a non team rider qualifies top 20 out of practice.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/23/2017 8:36pm
d394 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Because the guys that make mains on one coast and finish 12-22nd and make some money in purse and contingency won't make the main and won't make money at all.

I know a lot of 250 guys don't bother going to Vegas because they are bubble guys and with the extra factory guys they don't have a realistic chance. Not worth the risk.

The privateers are not a priority to the promoters because they have no measurable impact on crowd sizes, yes people have their favorites, but really are you going to spend $50+ to watch privateers, 98% of the fans are there for the factory stars, the privateers are field fillers at most. With the Triple Main race format you don't need field fillers, you only need 44 guys total. I could see a cap being applied to limit the total number of riders invited to each race with a pool of fill in riders. Smaller field=smaller pit area=less fence rental/less security/etc.= less expenses = more profit.
JB 19
10/23/2017 8:36pm
Reading some these threads reminds me of asking my old girlfriend where she wants get something to eat.
10/23/2017 9:32pm
colintrax wrote:
I like it, am racing will be cool to watch and I'm hopeful the 3 motos will make for more/better racing. Glad semis are gone.
It would be col if they had the top am guys race on Saturday. (250 A class)

I am glad they went back to no Semi's.
It would be cool if the 250 class was actually for the privateers/amateurs. Push the teams with semi's into the premier class where they belong.

As for the rest of the rule changes, I love the 3 moto format for main events. Punch my ticket for those races. Im all aboard. It will make for WAAAY more entertainment value. I fully expect this to be the norm for all tour stops in years to come.

As for the points scoring, I wont be happy until they score it based on average finish. Lowest score at the end of the year wins. It makes sense. It's fair.

I hate weighted scoring.
FlaNard
10/23/2017 9:59pm
I'm down. Let's see how it plays out.
block75
10/24/2017 3:19am
I'm not sure I like with the triple crown style, changing the sx format in Aus didn't work but it may work iover there if they only keep it to a couple of times and not every week like they tried over here, yes it bought the riders closer together but the standard of competition dropped and became just a quick sprint race instead of a 20min/ 20lap decent race, it seemed like there was more deliberate "bumping riders out" than racing by the guys that weren't quite at the top level, as much as people say dungey being out in front was boring well what is the level or pace endurance etc to strive for if you have nothing to chase? I think privateers in the 450 class will get less tv time which may not help them in trying to attract backing for their rides. But just my opinion which really isn't worth shit haha
Mx286
10/24/2017 5:33am
Extending the heats and lcq is just going to make for more boring racing. I like the short races where everyone’s bunched up going for the final transfer spot. This will now just seperate everyone a little more. Although the multiple east/west shootout is cool.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
10/24/2017 5:38am
Points change is dumb...are they changing the points for nationals too?

If not, then that makes it confusing. Is MXGP changing their point system (since SX and mxgp are both under the FIM)?

Points should have been left alone in my opinion. I like how they changed the points, but the gap from 1st to 3rd is still the same...some kind of special right there. The only change I would made regarding points is eliminate 2 guys from the mains or award 21st and 22nd no points.
10/24/2017 5:53am
The problem is not seeing the stars racing on track enough right? What about instead of semi races, there is a "dash for cash/points"? Top 9 riders qualify for the main event, rest go to LCQ, but instead of racing the semi, the top 4 from each heat race do a 3 lap shootout for points and cash. Almost like super pole in Europe. Winner of this dash gets 3 championship points, second place gets 2, third gets one point. That way we see more of the top guys racing, and not the mid pack guys. Also too, guys with blistering speed can make up points here.

Honestly, when watching the races on tv, as soon as the 450 heats are done, I change the channel until the main events, sometimes the 450 LCQ. I just don't like watching the semis. They're boring to me. We want the faster riders on the track more, but make it worth them going out there.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
10/24/2017 6:57am
Taking away the semis sucks just like it did the last time they tried it...
8tensolutions
10/24/2017 8:18am
JB 19 wrote:
Reading some these threads reminds me of asking my old girlfriend where she wants get something to eat.
^^^^^^^ Haha!! So perfect!!!
mx617
10/24/2017 8:45am
I think if they wanted to make things more exciting they should be finding a way to tighten up the program. There's waaaay too much downtime in between the races. Especially going from the semis to the main. Take away 15 minutes of waiting and you got yourself a better show. Same reason football is such a terrible sport, too much time waiting for something to happen.
tcallahan707
10/24/2017 9:13am
1. Lame. Choose one or the other.
2. Lame. All rounds should run the same.
3. Lame. Short, intense heat races were fun. Semi's provide more coverage for 2nd tier riders.
4. Lame. All races should be same length, to help new fans follow along.
5. Ok. Points should be different for each position. I'm not sure where the "increased gap for podium positons" is coming from. It's the same differential. I woud like to see the Nationals pay points to all 40 riders.
6. I like it as a fan but I wouldn't be happy as a rider.
7. All for it.
8. Road to SX is a good idea in theory, but the execution is terrible. If a rider can earn enough points in an amateur SX, why make them do an AX? Clearly, it's a money-making tactic disguised as safety. Also, if a rider can earn points at a national, then they should be granted an exception from having to chase RTS points.
Katoomey
10/24/2017 9:45am
...rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic wont keep the ship from sinking.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
10/24/2017 10:20am
Katoomey wrote:
...rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic wont keep the ship from sinking.
What makes you think the ship is sinking?
Spat24
Fantasy
856th
1/1/2018 3:36pm
So in the triple crown events - each race of the three is said to be a main.
How is purse money paid out - per Main or the overall night winner via Olympic point system (1 pt for first, 2 pts for second and so on as the rules state).

And how do the teams pay out bonus money for these races (each main or overall for the night)?

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/1/2018 5:09pm
Spat24 wrote:
So in the triple crown events - each race of the three is said to be a main. How is purse money paid out - per...
So in the triple crown events - each race of the three is said to be a main.
How is purse money paid out - per Main or the overall night winner via Olympic point system (1 pt for first, 2 pts for second and so on as the rules state).

And how do the teams pay out bonus money for these races (each main or overall for the night)?

Those events basically use the same format found at the amateur level. Essentially each "main" is like a moto. The rider with the best score/points after all 3 mains/motos wins the overall for the night. Contingency and Bonuses are awarded for the overall just like any of the other races.

Post a reply to: 2018 Supercross Format Changes

The Latest