2018 Supercross Format Changes

jbomx363
10/23/2017 1:39pm
Not likey new format/changes.

When I first saw "triple CLOWN...er CROWN" I thought it was like motocross did before, if anyone wins the 3 designated triple crown races, they'd win bonus money, which was what.. $100K?

Oh well.. it's not like we get a say so in changes anyway.. we get what we get.
NorCal 50+
10/23/2017 1:43pm
At first I thought this is too complex for the average fan to understand, but who cares? If people can figure out the game of football, they can figure this out.

Does anybody have a link to the amateur SX series?
Red141
10/23/2017 1:43pm
I am so relieved there will be no chase format. I am glad there will be no joker lanes. Overall, I like how they are trying 2 things - changing the points and the triple crown limited to only 3 events instead of a Big Bang change. I wish they awarded points in the heat races - I fear extending qualifying down to 9th place won't motivate the riders to place better.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/23/2017 1:59pm
Read it again, they did increase the benefit of a win. I disagree and would go the other way to make for a closer championship battle...
Read it again, they did increase the benefit of a win.

I disagree and would go the other way to make for a closer championship battle at the end with less riders mathematically eliminated too early.
RandyS wrote:
Not over 2nd and 3rd. Getting 2nd or 3rd is now less of a disadvantage than it was over winning by more than half a percentage...
Not over 2nd and 3rd. Getting 2nd or 3rd is now less of a disadvantage than it was over winning by more than half a percentage point. In addition 2nd and 3rd is more of a benefit over 4th down. Meaning, a guy like Tomac in theory would have lost by more to Dungey than last year. Maybe I'll run the numbers tonight if someone else doesn't but I bet Dungey wins last year by 10 to 15 using the new system.
RandyS wrote:
OK, I went and ran the numbers, it's the Tomac system. Based on last years they tie at 376 with the tie breaker going to Tomac...
OK, I went and ran the numbers, it's the Tomac system. Based on last years they tie at 376 with the tie breaker going to Tomac. However, I still believe it could just as easily go the other way based on the mix of good races vs bad.

They went back over the last couple of years at least to figure out a way to tighten it up, and based on 16 and 17 it will. Roczen gains 6 points on Dungey in 16. However I still say there are combos that will work the opposite but I guess they've done enough to know that the majority of the time it will tighten the title race. I still wish they would make a win be more than a 3 point advantage over 2nd if they're going to change the system.
You are right.

Tomac's finishes outside of the top 4 would have ended up being 1 point more per race outside the top 4, making him tie with Dungey who didn't finish outside the top 4 at all. It makes the consistency route to the title more difficult to win with.

The points change helps the guys that finish 5th or worse, those places are 1 point closer to what 1st place receives. Yes 1st place gets 1 point more, but the point spread ratio between 1st-4th is still the same. 5th-21st all receive 1 more point than they used to (22nd gets the same 1 point). In theory the points would be closer for the guys finishing outside the top 4, so it technically is a closer championship on paper.

It's a small negligible change that really just makes the math different (harder to do in your head maybe?), everyone will have to get used to the new 26 points for a win and the rest of the points table.

I was expecting more of a MotoGP point system where there is more emphasis on winning. 25 for first, 20 for second, 16 for third, 13th for 4th, 11 for 5th, then one point less per position down to 0 points for 16th place. It allows for a bigger swing in points from race to race. The podium is 9 points different, Supercross is only 5. The top 5 is 14 points, Supercross is 8.

Supercross needs to stop trying to be Nascar, because Nascar is dieing. They have royal screwed up their point system with so many changes and bonus this and bonus that and different playoff points, stage points, race points etc. With Nascars new system no one can accurately count the points during the race. A win isn't a set amount of points with all the stage point BS, the playoff points, etc. Keep it simple.

The Shop

Titan1
10/23/2017 2:03pm
Hmmm...I've been following this sport since the early 90's, and I'm confused....I can only imagine how confusing this is going to be for a casual/new fan (the people they are trying to attract to "grow the sport").

If they really want to get new eye balls on the screen and butts in the seats...leave the format alone, and increase the purse money....johnny football fan is flipping channels...flips onto NBS sports...see a graphic on the screen that the winner of that nights 450 main, won $100K in purse money, last place won $10K...hears the commentators talking about how they are racing for a $5M championship bonus...plus mentions all the sponsor/team contingencies, bonuses, salaries...Tomac made $250K this weekend for the win....(those numbers are just hypothetical...I'm not saying that is what it should be...just a random example.)

That will generate some interest...far more than a "Triple crown", or changing up the points distribution or adding/dropping semi's.
gt80rider
10/23/2017 2:03pm
Not a fan of any of it really... If anything it makes it harder for mainstreamers to understand and follow...

And I for one am going to miss the semis... I always liked how it gave a lot more tv time to second tier riders and teams...
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
10/23/2017 2:06pm
I must have missed the part where Feld is upping the purse so the riders can afford to compete and make a living.
Laughing
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/23/2017 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 2:09pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
At first I thought this is too complex for the average fan to understand, but who cares? If people can figure out the game of football...
At first I thought this is too complex for the average fan to understand, but who cares? If people can figure out the game of football, they can figure this out.

Does anybody have a link to the amateur SX series?
Information for Amateur Supercross can be found at sxaracing.com but it redirect you to the following SITE

Amateur Supercross Classes

Amateur Supercross racing will take part on Sunday's.
gt80rider
10/23/2017 2:08pm
And yo Kirk I hear ya.. we need to stop playing wanna-be Nascar... They are indeed dying, I strongly believe sx/mx should go about REPLACING Nascar, fill in the gap that Nascar simply can not accomplish... the nation is changing, out with the old, in with something new to get viewers back in front of the tube...
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
10/23/2017 2:20pm
gt80rider wrote:
Not a fan of any of it really... If anything it makes it harder for mainstreamers to understand and follow... And I for one am going...
Not a fan of any of it really... If anything it makes it harder for mainstreamers to understand and follow...

And I for one am going to miss the semis... I always liked how it gave a lot more tv time to second tier riders and teams...
Agreed. One of the things I don't like about the outdoor series is that you basically never see the second tier guys in TV. If they aren't in the top 5 or a championship contender, it's like they don't exist.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
10/23/2017 2:30pm
Anyone else notice that FELD is calling the shots on this and not the AMA, the sanctioning body of Motocross in America? Why? Because of money. They're too damn greedy. The AMA is a joke. They take all the money from racers and never pay back nearly enough for these guys to make a living.
RandyS
10/23/2017 2:31pm
RandyS wrote:
Not over 2nd and 3rd. Getting 2nd or 3rd is now less of a disadvantage than it was over winning by more than half a percentage...
Not over 2nd and 3rd. Getting 2nd or 3rd is now less of a disadvantage than it was over winning by more than half a percentage point. In addition 2nd and 3rd is more of a benefit over 4th down. Meaning, a guy like Tomac in theory would have lost by more to Dungey than last year. Maybe I'll run the numbers tonight if someone else doesn't but I bet Dungey wins last year by 10 to 15 using the new system.
RandyS wrote:
OK, I went and ran the numbers, it's the Tomac system. Based on last years they tie at 376 with the tie breaker going to Tomac...
OK, I went and ran the numbers, it's the Tomac system. Based on last years they tie at 376 with the tie breaker going to Tomac. However, I still believe it could just as easily go the other way based on the mix of good races vs bad.

They went back over the last couple of years at least to figure out a way to tighten it up, and based on 16 and 17 it will. Roczen gains 6 points on Dungey in 16. However I still say there are combos that will work the opposite but I guess they've done enough to know that the majority of the time it will tighten the title race. I still wish they would make a win be more than a 3 point advantage over 2nd if they're going to change the system.
You are right. Tomac's finishes outside of the top 4 would have ended up being 1 point more per race outside the top 4, making him...
You are right.

Tomac's finishes outside of the top 4 would have ended up being 1 point more per race outside the top 4, making him tie with Dungey who didn't finish outside the top 4 at all. It makes the consistency route to the title more difficult to win with.

The points change helps the guys that finish 5th or worse, those places are 1 point closer to what 1st place receives. Yes 1st place gets 1 point more, but the point spread ratio between 1st-4th is still the same. 5th-21st all receive 1 more point than they used to (22nd gets the same 1 point). In theory the points would be closer for the guys finishing outside the top 4, so it technically is a closer championship on paper.

It's a small negligible change that really just makes the math different (harder to do in your head maybe?), everyone will have to get used to the new 26 points for a win and the rest of the points table.

I was expecting more of a MotoGP point system where there is more emphasis on winning. 25 for first, 20 for second, 16 for third, 13th for 4th, 11 for 5th, then one point less per position down to 0 points for 16th place. It allows for a bigger swing in points from race to race. The podium is 9 points different, Supercross is only 5. The top 5 is 14 points, Supercross is 8.

Supercross needs to stop trying to be Nascar, because Nascar is dieing. They have royal screwed up their point system with so many changes and bonus this and bonus that and different playoff points, stage points, race points etc. With Nascars new system no one can accurately count the points during the race. A win isn't a set amount of points with all the stage point BS, the playoff points, etc. Keep it simple.
Wow, I was looking at the top 4 and not paying attention to the 5th though 22nd. I thought everyone got bumped up one point. They made the podium less important by quite a bit. Obviously you have to be consistently on the podium or you'll never win a title but they are rewarding more inconsistency.
jbomx363
10/23/2017 2:31pm
RichieW13 wrote:
Agreed. One of the things I don't like about the outdoor series is that you basically never see the second tier guys in TV. If they...
Agreed. One of the things I don't like about the outdoor series is that you basically never see the second tier guys in TV. If they aren't in the top 5 or a championship contender, it's like they don't exist.
I disagree with this a little bit.. They've shown some close battles down the line more than a few times. They "usually" do a run down of the top 10 or so a few times in the broadcast too.
jbomx363
10/23/2017 2:33pm
RandyS wrote:
Wow, I was looking at the top 4 and not paying attention to the 5th though 22nd. I thought everyone got bumped up one point. They...
Wow, I was looking at the top 4 and not paying attention to the 5th though 22nd. I thought everyone got bumped up one point. They made the podium less important by quite a bit. Obviously you have to be consistently on the podium or you'll never win a title but they are rewarding more inconsistency.
It may become known as the Tomac rule. Whistling
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
10/23/2017 2:35pm
Titan1 wrote:
Hmmm...I've been following this sport since the early 90's, and I'm confused....I can only imagine how confusing this is going to be for a casual/new fan...
Hmmm...I've been following this sport since the early 90's, and I'm confused....I can only imagine how confusing this is going to be for a casual/new fan (the people they are trying to attract to "grow the sport").

If they really want to get new eye balls on the screen and butts in the seats...leave the format alone, and increase the purse money....johnny football fan is flipping channels...flips onto NBS sports...see a graphic on the screen that the winner of that nights 450 main, won $100K in purse money, last place won $10K...hears the commentators talking about how they are racing for a $5M championship bonus...plus mentions all the sponsor/team contingencies, bonuses, salaries...Tomac made $250K this weekend for the win....(those numbers are just hypothetical...I'm not saying that is what it should be...just a random example.)

That will generate some interest...far more than a "Triple crown", or changing up the points distribution or adding/dropping semi's.
I agree with the first sentence. Been watching Moto my whole life. We all can add 25 easier than 26, as stupid as that sounds. But we all know the points system by heart. Now its going to suck to add points up. They would've been better off giving points based on the position and lowest points wins the title. 1st place = 1 pt, 2nd place = 2 pts. etc...
RandyS
10/23/2017 2:40pm
jbomx363 wrote:
I wonder if the went back to say the mid 2000s and did some figuring too.
Johnny Depp
10/23/2017 2:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 2:45pm
RandyS wrote:
Wow, I was looking at the top 4 and not paying attention to the 5th though 22nd. I thought everyone got bumped up one point. They...
jbomx363 wrote:
Formerly known as the Bradshaw rule.

nrosso391 wrote: "They would've been better off giving points based on the position and lowest points wins the title. 1st place = 1 pt, 2nd place = 2 pts. etc..."

Amen.
RandyS
10/23/2017 2:53pm
RandyS wrote:
jbomx363 wrote:
Formerly known as the Bradshaw rule. nrosso391 wrote: "They would've been better off giving points based on the position and lowest points wins the title. 1st...
Formerly known as the Bradshaw rule.

nrosso391 wrote: "They would've been better off giving points based on the position and lowest points wins the title. 1st place = 1 pt, 2nd place = 2 pts. etc..."

Amen.
They may have put some serious thought into it. I was sure it would make Stewart the 2006 champion but he only gains one point, RC still wins by 1. I still think a win and a third should count for more than one point over two seconds but I guess it's OK.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/23/2017 2:59pm
They wanted a way to pay back to 22 with a different number for each. Should have been 30,25, 22, 19, etc.

Im surprised there are no amateur evemts in the north where an indoor evemt would be more welcome than in the South and west.
resetjet
10/23/2017 3:23pm
peelout wrote:
i like it semi races made the show drag. the 3 races with 3 races will be a breath of fresh air. some of you guys...
i like it

semi races made the show drag. the 3 races with 3 races will be a breath of fresh air.

some of you guys would bitch about being hung with a new rope
well in fairness peely, an old rope has alot better chances of breaking.......A little rusty on my hanging etiquette but I think you go free if the rope breaks........

LOL
10/23/2017 3:26pm
*Removes semi's to simplify for the casual fan, adds triple crown to confuse them more*

Only in Supercross my friends. For the record I like the 3 main events. Not so much the rounds, as I won't get to see one live, but we'll see how it goes. The points are pointless. It's been the same for generations and they make a minor and almost meaningless change.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
10/23/2017 3:38pm
My problem with the semis is they haven't been semis for some time. They are consolation races. IMO they should take the top half of the...
My problem with the semis is they haven't been semis for some time. They are consolation races. IMO they should take the top half of the heat races to the semi and no one advances straight to the main. The problem is, with only 40 riders that doesn't work. As long as 250's are separate this is the best they could do.

The promoter's don't owe TV and track time to slower riders. They have been getting semi's and lcq time for decades and they are still not earning a decent living. Most of these guy's day jobs pay better.
There is also the 250 class to choose.

The different length mains will hopefully bring different results. 7 minutes gives the "local" hot rod a chance to get a holeshot and stay up front before running out of conditioning. 15 minutes is enough time for conditioning to matter, but not so much to get boring.

Yeah, the different lengths could be interesting. Mookie looked pretty good in some of the heats last year, but never could keep it going in the main events. Maybe a guy like him could hang on for a top-3 in the shorter main. Also guys like Mike Alessi and Vince Friese are really good at getting out front early, but can't stay there very long.
kkawboy14
10/23/2017 4:21pm
RandyS wrote:

You are right. Tomac's finishes outside of the top 4 would have ended up being 1 point more per race outside the top 4, making him...
You are right.

RandyS wrote:
So your saying they are rewarding the guy who pushes hard for a win but wads it up so then he doesn’t lose as much?

From what I read, I like it all!
darrennerrad
10/23/2017 4:34pm
I don't like the changes. In my opinion it robs the spectators of being able to watch more racing, and furthermore if a top rider gets on the leaderboard in practice has some bad luck in the heat race such as a mechanical or taken out by an Anderson, they're forced to race in the LCQ, and we all know how crazy those are. Just my take on it.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
10/23/2017 4:43pm
I'm a fan of most of the changes. I would have preferred they kept the points as-is and see if a year or two of the new format helps with the final standings. I am a big fan that there are now two 250 E/W shootouts, with one on a rutty track and one on a hardpack track.
Crush
10/23/2017 4:51pm
I must have missed the part where Feld is upping the purse so the riders can afford to compete and make a living.
This guy
Johnny Depp
10/23/2017 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 4:54pm
I don't like the changes. In my opinion it robs the spectators of being able to watch more racing, and furthermore if a top rider gets...
I don't like the changes. In my opinion it robs the spectators of being able to watch more racing, and furthermore if a top rider gets on the leaderboard in practice has some bad luck in the heat race such as a mechanical or taken out by an Anderson, they're forced to race in the LCQ, and we all know how crazy those are. Just my take on it.
Personally I'd rather no LCQ. Sudden death for me. If something goes wrong in the heat, you're done if you can't catch back up to 9th (I'd make it 11 and no DNQ er LCQ). Results are too predictable as is, I'd rather see the occasional favorite watching the main from the stands. The factories and ticket holders will all cry snowflake tears, so I get it that we still have the LCQ. The show would be too short without it, it's the alleged "B Main" where 5 advance so it matters. I'll get over it.
darrennerrad
10/23/2017 4:56pm
I don't like the changes. In my opinion it robs the spectators of being able to watch more racing, and furthermore if a top rider gets...
Personally I'd rather no LCQ. Sudden death for me. If something goes wrong in the heat, you're done if you can't catch back up to 9th...
Personally I'd rather no LCQ. Sudden death for me. If something goes wrong in the heat, you're done if you can't catch back up to 9th (I'd make it 11 and no DNQ er LCQ). Results are too predictable as is, I'd rather see the occasional favorite watching the main from the stands. The factories and ticket holders will all cry snowflake tears, so I get it that we still have the LCQ. The show would be too short without it, it's the alleged "B Main" where 5 advance so it matters. I'll get over it.
I respect your opinion, I just enjoy watching more races.
Chains
10/23/2017 5:15pm
So with 3 mains this puts even more emphasis on the start. Maybe Brayton can win it all this year.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
10/23/2017 5:33pm
Titan1 wrote:
Hmmm...I've been following this sport since the early 90's, and I'm confused....I can only imagine how confusing this is going to be for a casual/new fan...

So do you believe MEC tv ratings bows the rest of the supercross season out of the water?

Post a reply to: 2018 Supercross Format Changes

The Latest