2018 Lake Elsinore Grand Prix (This Weekend)

casper
11/11/2018 10:25am
For $100 a class to race, and transponder lap recording, this is pretty unacceptable. Everything else went well fine and the race was real fun.
11/11/2018 10:36am
casper wrote:
For $100 a class to race, and transponder lap recording, this is pretty unacceptable. Everything else went well fine and the race was real fun.
Yea I figured they would have been smart enough to realize with different transponders on each rider's helmets they would have to do manual scoring. The track was amazing for my early race, but it was tore up bad for the buddy race.
barnett468
11/11/2018 10:42am Edited Date/Time 11/11/2018 10:44am
casper wrote:
Well, you are correct, and it appears that the people that run it now have always been disorganized, and at this point all the regulars seem to expect it to be a new and different clusterfk every year, so they just expect that and go with the flow. The Harvey Mushman race was supposed to start on Graham street, but at the starting line they announced that it was going to start where all the other races started but there were only a few of the Mushman riders there at the time to hear the announcement.

My race on Friday had 3 separate classes in it, and I asked them on Thursday if there was going to be a separate start for each class in my race and they said yes. Well I guess none of the other riders in my race got the memo, cuz as soon as they threw the flag, nearly everyone except for me, took off, so I got to start close to last place, lol. So I friggen prayed, then nailed it down the front straight and the dirt road leading to the dreaded sand wash while trying to dodge the squids and friggen early brakers, and luckily passed around 8 guys by the time I hit the wash, so it wasn't all that bad...except that I hate sand and ride like a newby in it, lol.

The Shop

barnett468
11/11/2018 4:41pm
Nice piece of carb board for the garage [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/11/301789/s1200_20181111_155655.jpg[/img]
Nice piece of carb board for the garage
Nice, what class did you win that for?

11/11/2018 5:25pm
Nice piece of carb board for the garage [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/11/301789/s1200_20181111_155655.jpg[/img]
barnett468 wrote:
Nice, what class did you win that for?

It was for the three wheeler four strokes class. I thought I was at least second, but didn't realize that I won it.
11/11/2018 6:31pm
We have been going to the GP for two years now and we dress up for our races to just be silly, we hope it will catch on eventually and more people will do it.

casper
11/11/2018 6:34pm

Stuntman949
11/12/2018 8:10am
Well I didn't have the best Grand Prix by any means. Race 20, I was row 1 in the dead middle. The race was mine to lose. Found the powerband on the 500 and laid it down on the asphalt after the first corner. Broke my brake lever, and ground my peg down to a nub. got tangled with someone later in the race and lost my clutch cable. I tried to enjoy the views up on the hill and putted to the finish.

I'll spare you the pictures of my arm, shoulder, back, hip and leg. Black top takes no prisoners.

Jason_Ashton
Fantasy
4039th
11/12/2018 8:11am
Glad you guys enjoy the photos, we work our butt off out there to get you guys the photos you deserve.
Stuntman949
11/12/2018 8:21am
barnett468 wrote:
Well, you are correct, and it appears that the people that run it now have always been disorganized, and at this point all the regulars seem...
Well, you are correct, and it appears that the people that run it now have always been disorganized, and at this point all the regulars seem to expect it to be a new and different clusterfk every year, so they just expect that and go with the flow. The Harvey Mushman race was supposed to start on Graham street, but at the starting line they announced that it was going to start where all the other races started but there were only a few of the Mushman riders there at the time to hear the announcement.

My race on Friday had 3 separate classes in it, and I asked them on Thursday if there was going to be a separate start for each class in my race and they said yes. Well I guess none of the other riders in my race got the memo, cuz as soon as they threw the flag, nearly everyone except for me, took off, so I got to start close to last place, lol. So I friggen prayed, then nailed it down the front straight and the dirt road leading to the dreaded sand wash while trying to dodge the squids and friggen early brakers, and luckily passed around 8 guys by the time I hit the wash, so it wasn't all that bad...except that I hate sand and ride like a newby in it, lol.
From the promoter side, I understand how things get messed up quick but it's not like they don't hold races the rest of the year. I'm optimistic they'll get it worked out.

As for a pre-registration goes, everything went smooth and quick which was great.

My race was an hour late which seems to be on time.

My highlight of the day- They posted online that it was a 25mph speed zone on the start finish pavement. I saw Steve that runs the whole enchilada so I asked him what the deal was. He had a puzzled look on his face and said "25mph in, no limit out." I asked "So 25mph to the finish and then wide open?" to which he responded "yes." At that point I knew if I was protested, I would fall back on this conversation. No one adhered to any speed limit anyway so at the end of the day, none of it mattered
Stuntman949
11/12/2018 8:23am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 8:24am
Glad you guys enjoy the photos, we work our butt off out there to get you guys the photos you deserve.
You guys have a great system with the walk-up touch screen. Cool stuff for sure. Texting a digital copy is a class act as well
11/12/2018 8:41am
I love the photos man! The GP is a super fun weekend and the photos are a great way to remember it all.

Jason_Ashton
Fantasy
4039th
11/12/2018 8:44am
I love the photos man! The GP is a super fun weekend and the photos are a great way to remember it all. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/301963/s1200_image_1.jpg[/img]
I love the photos man! The GP is a super fun weekend and the photos are a great way to remember it all.

Thank you very much.

You guys are classic, love it.

-Jason
barnett468
11/12/2018 9:11am
Well I didn't have the best Grand Prix by any means. Race 20, I was row 1 in the dead middle. The race was mine to...
Well I didn't have the best Grand Prix by any means. Race 20, I was row 1 in the dead middle. The race was mine to lose. Found the powerband on the 500 and laid it down on the asphalt after the first corner. Broke my brake lever, and ground my peg down to a nub. got tangled with someone later in the race and lost my clutch cable. I tried to enjoy the views up on the hill and putted to the finish.

I'll spare you the pictures of my arm, shoulder, back, hip and leg. Black top takes no prisoners.

holy crap. did you lay it down at the end of the straight where the course turned left to go onto the dirt section on lakeshore?

barnett468
11/12/2018 9:24am
From the promoter side, I understand how things get messed up quick but it's not like they don't hold races the rest of the year. I'm...
From the promoter side, I understand how things get messed up quick but it's not like they don't hold races the rest of the year. I'm optimistic they'll get it worked out.

As for a pre-registration goes, everything went smooth and quick which was great.

My race was an hour late which seems to be on time.

My highlight of the day- They posted online that it was a 25mph speed zone on the start finish pavement. I saw Steve that runs the whole enchilada so I asked him what the deal was. He had a puzzled look on his face and said "25mph in, no limit out." I asked "So 25mph to the finish and then wide open?" to which he responded "yes." At that point I knew if I was protested, I would fall back on this conversation. No one adhered to any speed limit anyway so at the end of the day, none of it mattered
"My highlight of the day- They posted online that it was a 25mph speed zone on the start finish pavement. I saw Steve that runs the whole enchilada so I asked him what the deal was. He had a puzzled look on his face and said "25mph in, no limit out." I asked "So 25mph to the finish and then wide open?" to which he responded "yes." At that point I knew if I was protested, I would fall back on this conversation. No one adhered to any speed limit anyway so at the end of the day, none of it mattered"

Yeah, they told me 25 to the first 90 degree corner that turned left to go to towards the start line then no speed limit after that corner which is exactly what I did, unfortunately, not everyone else in my race did, but I didn't care too much because it was my first time back racing after getting hit extremely hard 7 weeks ago in a calvmx race at perris that majorly screwed my back up, so I was only going at around 75% so as not to re-injure any body parts and to see if anything would start hurting. The calvmx race at milestone this sunday will be a much more severe test because they actually have jumps, lol.

Stuntman949
11/12/2018 9:53am
barnett468 wrote:
holy crap. did you lay it down at the end of the straight where the course turned left to go onto the dirt section on lakeshore?

I actually low sided it on the right turn after the finish. Took the turn in third and when I clicked to fourth, all hell broke loose. Glad I didn't slide the bike into all the people on the sidewalk
bartoner
11/12/2018 10:49am
We have been going to the GP for two years now and we dress up for our races to just be silly, we hope it will...
We have been going to the GP for two years now and we dress up for our races to just be silly, we hope it will catch on eventually and more people will do it.

Watched the races from directly in front of the water jump, where all the action was, and we cheered you on every time you went by!! Awesome job!
11/12/2018 11:58am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 11:59am
We have been going to the GP for two years now and we dress up for our races to just be silly, we hope it will...

bartoner wrote:
Watched the races from directly in front of the water jump, where all the action was, and we cheered you on every time you went by...
Watched the races from directly in front of the water jump, where all the action was, and we cheered you on every time you went by!! Awesome job!
That's so cool. Thanks! I was definitely too scared to do the water jump on that beast, but I was throwing no footers and one handers. Did any three wheeler guys do it? It was so much fun. I wish I would have practiced wheelies more because I would have been doing them the whole time.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
11/12/2018 12:32pm
Looks like it was super fun! Makes me look forward to DITD in a couple weeks.
bartoner
11/12/2018 3:47pm
That's so cool. Thanks! I was definitely too scared to do the water jump on that beast, but I was throwing no footers and one handers...
That's so cool. Thanks! I was definitely too scared to do the water jump on that beast, but I was throwing no footers and one handers. Did any three wheeler guys do it? It was so much fun. I wish I would have practiced wheelies more because I would have been doing them the whole time.
No 3 wheelers hit it, we were hoping someone would. I was actually hoping to see one of the sidecars hit it. There sure was a lot of carnage in it though.
Alex.434
11/12/2018 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2018 4:46pm
Hey sombrero dudes! I talked to you in staging for an interview Smile Great pics! You guys were a hoot.

My LEGP was rather eventful. Rode 60 miles to the race from my house on dual sport truck trails, backroads, and highway 15. Got there and things were a little behind due to morning injuries, no worries, just hung around and got situated. Got in staging for the Mushman 100 Sportsman class and since I was fiddling with getting POV cameras and gear and everything sorted I got in line pretty far back in the group. Thought it was going to be multiple waves... (that's what I'd heard) but basically it was just a mass start.... and I was stuck in the back.

First lap passed 26 guys and no one passed me, so that was great. Was honking my horn pretty much the entire lap letting folks know where I was as I made passes (people were swerving all around). First lap seeing the track and on a bike I'd barely ridden, so was feeling it out and feeling good. Overjumped the water jump even though I told myself to go easy off it... whoops.

Then midway thru the sand section / lake bed on the 2nd lap I got a rear flat! Couldn't believe it. Super bummed. Made my way back to the start area and just cruised around the pits asking if anyone had a spare. The guys from OC Dualies (dual sports) leapt into action and changed my tire! What bloody legends. Tossed them some beer money and got back in the race.

Got another 4-5 laps in... and was starting to get dark so I knew they would call it soon... and BAAAM another rear flat. This time immediately after landing the water jump on that short stretch before the hairpin heading up the Ridgeline. WTF! Nursed it back to pits and crossed finish line but jeez, no chance for glory.

Had a blast though. Ripped some good wheelies down Main Street each lap (immediately after this pic was taken), honked my horn at the crowd over the water jump, and generally had a ball. Can't wait to do it again next year.

Got home and looked the bike over. Pretty positive the culprit was no rear rim lock coming stock on the CRF450L. Both flats happened in the 'Moto' sections with high traction and hard torque acceleration and the tire went flat VERY fast both times. Tire spun on the rim and shredded the valve. Neither happened due to 'slamming' a square edge. I took it pretty easy actually over the hard edge stuff and I ride the chunky rocky hills around my house all the time, never flat. Was running heavy duty tubes (per usual) with 1-2psi higher than I normally run on my home rough rocky trails.

Doh. Race gods are cruel. Lesson learned, be back next year. Damn fun time.

Brandork Photography pics

gpracer4224
11/12/2018 6:33pm

I was out snapping some photos for a few friends of mine and t he race between JG and Trevor Stewart was one to watch in the 450 Pro race. It's too bad he didn't line up for the Mushman though

Sully
11/12/2018 7:12pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302072/s1200_DSC_0654.jpg[/img] I was out snapping some photos for a few friends of mine and t he race between JG and Trevor Stewart was one to watch...

I was out snapping some photos for a few friends of mine and t he race between JG and Trevor Stewart was one to watch in the 450 Pro race. It's too bad he didn't line up for the Mushman though

Dang, I was hoping you'd raced it. I want to see GoPro footage. (Great photos, by the way.)
11/12/2018 7:40pm
Sully wrote:
Dang, I was hoping you'd raced it. I want to see GoPro footage. (Great photos, by the way.)
I saw some GoPro footage of the 450 pro race on YouTube. Of course the guy killed his bike on the start.
casper
11/14/2018 9:59am
Any news on getting the results for the races? Nothing posted online and I emailed the race coordinators and got nothing back.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/14/2018 10:12am
Here's a few more photos from the Mushman [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302084/s1200_DSC_0737.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302083/s1200_DSC_0711.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302085/s1200_DSC_0796_3.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302086/s1200_DSC_0800.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/12/302082/s1200_DSC_0802.jpg[/img]
Here's a few more photos from the Mushman

Did Blayne barely miss Clay??
11/14/2018 3:58pm
casper wrote:
Any news on getting the results for the races? Nothing posted online and I emailed the race coordinators and got nothing back.
At the sign us booth they said it would take a week or so. I keep checking online and haven't found anything yet.

Post a reply to: 2018 Lake Elsinore Grand Prix (This Weekend)

The Latest