2018 KTM 450SX-F FE No Shift Past 2nd

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2021 11:47am
Bikes rolls 40 hrs while warming up on the stand. 2nd lap of practice bike will not shift past 2nd. The 1-2 shift is fine. Any suggestions? Fuel pump first now this....
|
JWACK
12/8/2018 8:30am
Should have listened to me in the last thread.! Hopefully it's just something in the shift mechanism. I would be looking for metal in the oil and filter.
yz133rider
12/8/2018 9:29am
Drop 3 teeth off rear sprocket and leave it in 2nd. That engines so usable u dont need anything else.

Sorry no worthwhile input. Maybe shifter adjusted too high and is hitting.
motox11
12/8/2018 9:40am
Hopefully just the shift mechanism and not a bent shift fork
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/8/2018 9:59am
Not sure if this will help any but I was able to get it to go up to 4th a couple of times but had to really jiggle the shifter to get it to go 2 to 3 to 4 and same going back from 4 to 3 to 2. Again the 1-2 shift is fine.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/8/2018 11:24am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 11:27am

Had this happen on a few KTMs. The part #11 Sliding plate is bypassing the shifting drum. The tension spring could be broke #9 to cause this or the teeth are dull and not getting a good connection/hook on the drum. If your spring is ok, you can take a small round file and sharpen the teeth on the sliding plate.

The file you use needs to mach the diameter of the round shifting points on the drum. Like 3/16

Lynch
12/8/2018 11:34am
Geez you have some bad luck, the Yamaha 250 issues and this bike.

Hoping you find a solution!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/8/2018 11:39am
Lynch wrote:
Geez you have some bad luck, the Yamaha 250 issues and this bike.

Hoping you find a solution!
I appreciate it. My son rides a lot. The yamaha was simple once we figured out it was a the TPS, put another 140+ hours on it problem free! Matter fact it has been completely rebuilt with a carrillo rod and a JE piston!
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
12/8/2018 12:04pm
Here a possibility

photo credit to Cudby, sketch credit to brimx153
Whip
Fantasy
3240th
12/8/2018 12:15pm
Here a possibility [img]https://media.giphy.com/media/ulKNI69ZnUMmWxVW29/giphy.gif[/img] photo credit to Cudby, sketch credit to brimx153
Here a possibility

photo credit to Cudby, sketch credit to brimx153
You are a brave man posting that without permission.
Berni
12/8/2018 1:48pm
Markee wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/08/308463/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_12_08_at_2.16.53_PM.jpg[/img] Had this happen on a few KTMs. The part #11 Sliding plate is bypassing the shifting drum. The tension spring could be broke #9 to...

Had this happen on a few KTMs. The part #11 Sliding plate is bypassing the shifting drum. The tension spring could be broke #9 to cause this or the teeth are dull and not getting a good connection/hook on the drum. If your spring is ok, you can take a small round file and sharpen the teeth on the sliding plate.

The file you use needs to mach the diameter of the round shifting points on the drum. Like 3/16

I had hard shifting in a KTM 250 2steoke.... Stretching by hand part n 9 (the spring) solved the issue. Don't know if it helps or could be related
12/8/2018 2:40pm
Markee wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/08/308463/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_12_08_at_2.16.53_PM.jpg[/img] Had this happen on a few KTMs. The part #11 Sliding plate is bypassing the shifting drum. The tension spring could be broke #9 to...

Also check that bolts numbered 18 and 21 (not shown in this part of the shift mechanism parts page) have not come loose. Clutch basket has to come out to do though. Have seen that before where someone skipped the loctite application.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/9/2018 1:13am
Markee wrote:

Also check that bolts numbered 18 and 21 (not shown in this part of the shift mechanism parts page) have not come loose. Clutch basket has...
Also check that bolts numbered 18 and 21 (not shown in this part of the shift mechanism parts page) have not come loose. Clutch basket has to come out to do though. Have seen that before where someone skipped the loctite application.
That sounds like what the dealer told me to check. I called them and ask if they had any suggestions. They told me to pull the basket out and check a bolt but lost me after that. I will be honest, I do not do anything inside a motor lol, so I will have one of our techs look at this next week. I appreciate the input guys, I sure hope it is as simple as this!!!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
12/14/2018 8:46am
Good news good news, it was part #18 was loose! A little lock tite and a ordering a new gasket to be safe! Thanks so much for the help Vital!!!
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/14/2018 11:33am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Good news good news, it was part #18 was loose! A little lock tite and a ordering a new gasket to be safe! Thanks so much...
Good news good news, it was part #18 was loose! A little lock tite and a ordering a new gasket to be safe! Thanks so much for the help Vital!!!
Good deal
DaveJ
1/7/2019 2:33pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Good news good news, it was part #18 was loose! A little lock tite and a ordering a new gasket to be safe! Thanks so much...
Same exact problem with a 2018 450 XCF
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/8/2019 1:21am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
DaveJ wrote:
Have you fixed it yet? Wondering if the same problem!
DaveJ
1/8/2019 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2019 1:02pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:
DaveJ wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
It sounds like it is exactly the same problem.

The bike would not shift beyond 2nd.

Pulled the cover off and that bolt was very loose.

Pulled off the clutch basket and the water pump drive gear. Tightened the bolt. Put the rest of it back together. Bike shifts perfectly now.

I put a chemical lock on the bolt just in case.

I'm glad you posted what you did because it helps to confirm that perhaps KTM skipped a step or didn't have their tool calibrated.

I'm glad I found your post. Sounds like KTM had some issues here.
daboza27
1/8/2019 10:51pm
DaveJ wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
DaveJ wrote:
It sounds like it is exactly the same problem. The bike would not shift beyond 2nd. Pulled the cover off and that bolt was very loose...

Pulled off the clutch basket and the water pump drive gear. Tightened the bolt. Put the rest of it back together. Bike shifts perfectly now.

I'm glad you posted what you did because it helps to confirm that perhaps KTM skipped a step or didn't have their tool calibrated.

I also had this happen earlier this year on my 17 450sxf. That #18 bolt cocks the shift star when loose and binds everything up.

Unfortunately for me I couldn’t find an answer online at the time so I pulled the motor and tore it all apart thinking it was an idler gear on the transmission, only to find it was just that little bolt for the shift star.
I’ve been able to help a couple people since, so it’s nice to come across these threads and chime in to save people a headache.

sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
1/9/2019 1:08am
daboza27 wrote:
I also had this happen earlier this year on my 17 450sxf. That #18 bolt cocks the shift star when loose and binds everything up. Unfortunately...
I also had this happen earlier this year on my 17 450sxf. That #18 bolt cocks the shift star when loose and binds everything up.

Unfortunately for me I couldn’t find an answer online at the time so I pulled the motor and tore it all apart thinking it was an idler gear on the transmission, only to find it was just that little bolt for the shift star.
I’ve been able to help a couple people since, so it’s nice to come across these threads and chime in to save people a headache.

I was very close to doing the same. I am thankful that I was pointed in the direction of checking this first. This needs to be added to the KTM known issues. Keep you relays and fuel filters closeLaughing
DaveJ
1/9/2019 9:37am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
DaveJ wrote:
It sounds like it is exactly the same problem. The bike would not shift beyond 2nd. Pulled the cover off and that bolt was very loose...

daboza27 wrote:
I also had this happen earlier this year on my 17 450sxf. That #18 bolt cocks the shift star when loose and binds everything up. Unfortunately...

I was thinking same thing....shift drum or gear fork.

I just got lucky by pulling the right clutch case hoping that I could sneak a peak into the tranny as to pre-order parts...and there was the loose bolt. I was able to spin it with my fingers. Sneaked a wrench in and tightened it then everything worked perfectly...then tore it down and fix it right.

Thanks for sharing!!
Johnson1976
10/17/2020 8:31am
Just had the same issue on 2017 450sxf FE. Out mid ride and wouldnt shift 3rd to 4th then stopped going from 2nd to 3rd.
Dropped the oil and coolant, pulled the inner clutch cover off and all looked good. Came across this thread and looked up the bolt highlighted here.
Shifting by hand 1/N/2 was fine but when going for 3rd you could see the drum moving up.
Managed to tighten enough to test again and all gears select fine.
Now taking the clutch/basket off to access it properly and threadlocknit back in.
Cheers guys saved me from getting turned over by the garage.
bvm111
10/17/2020 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2020 6:55pm
i have a 20.5 FE and i am having down shifting issues, sometimes from 4th to third but almost always from 3rd to second when coming into a corner... almost have to stomp on the shifter to get it to go in to second. Is that a symptom of this issue?

edit: who down votes an honest question?
DaveJ
10/19/2020 11:53am
bvm111 wrote:
i have a 20.5 FE and i am having down shifting issues, sometimes from 4th to third but almost always from 3rd to second when coming...
i have a 20.5 FE and i am having down shifting issues, sometimes from 4th to third but almost always from 3rd to second when coming into a corner... almost have to stomp on the shifter to get it to go in to second. Is that a symptom of this issue?

Yes. Not saying it's your problem, but start with the easy stuff first. Only takes a few minutes to pop the cover off and look. Just lay the bike on it's side.
bvm111
10/19/2020 6:57pm
bvm111 wrote:
i have a 20.5 FE and i am having down shifting issues, sometimes from 4th to third but almost always from 3rd to second when coming...

DaveJ wrote:
Yes. Not saying it's your problem, but start with the easy stuff first. Only takes a few minutes to pop the cover off and look. Just...
Yes. Not saying it's your problem, but start with the easy stuff first. Only takes a few minutes to pop the cover off and look. Just lay the bike on it's side.
thanks dave ... i’m almost to 15 hours on the meter and plan on going through everything when i get the chance, I will pull the cover and check it out!
4/13/2021 11:46am
bvm111 wrote:

DaveJ wrote:
Yes. Not saying it's your problem, but start with the easy stuff first. Only takes a few minutes to pop the cover off and look. Just...
bvm111 wrote:
thanks dave ... i’m almost to 15 hours on the meter and plan on going through everything when i get the chance, I will pull the...
thanks dave ... i’m almost to 15 hours on the meter and plan on going through everything when i get the chance, I will pull the cover and check it out!
Hey bvm111 did you find the problem?
My 2021 450 also have the exact same problem as yours
😕
skyrebel88
4/13/2021 12:15pm
Hello Gents, i posted in a different thread about having a similar problem having a hard time shifting up from 2nd to third while on the gas. i never use fourth so idk if i would have the same issue there. i have to let up or off to get it to shift. i have a 19 250sxf. is this the same problem? i read here some guy stretched the spring out and another used a file to file something.
4/13/2021 12:21pm
I’m only having problems when down shifting coming into a corner
Bike only has 10 hours on it 🤥

Post a reply to: 2018 KTM 450SX-F FE No Shift Past 2nd

The Latest