JoePit
12/2/2018 6:37pm
Normal especially when cold.
mxer807
12/2/2018 9:43pm
Normal due to clutch /motor design.
12/2/2018 10:04pm
Helda wrote:
I have a fast 6yo on one and we chew through parts like its nothing 15hrs on a clutch and kickstart spring, 20hrs and the piston...
I have a fast 6yo on one and we chew through parts like its nothing 15hrs on a clutch and kickstart spring, 20hrs and the piston and ring is cactus, keep a spare stator, the ratchet gear and main drive gear is good for about 30-40hrs keep a kickstart seal and front sprocket seal and bush on hand, rotate the clutch pins every 30hrs so every second clutch maybe, the spark plug caps tend to snap off internally that can give you problems, jetting is way off I wont even get into it right now hahaha hmmmm what else....
Did you crack any radiators?
ben5020 wrote:
Buddy of mine went through a ton of radiators last season as well as some mount for the over flow bottle I think as well as...
Buddy of mine went through a ton of radiators last season as well as some mount for the over flow bottle I think as well as cracked exhaust multiple times, few top ends even one took a shit at LL last year. Decent bike but if your kids fast be prepared to spend some cha Ching on parts/repairs.
Wow. That sounds like a great thing to get people involved in mini racing. Remember when you just took a spare spark plug and levers in your tool box and you changed the top end every 6 months if you were a total OCD dad. No wonder why clubs and racing is dying off.

The Shop

Helda
12/3/2018 2:49am
Did you crack any radiators?
ben5020 wrote:
Buddy of mine went through a ton of radiators last season as well as some mount for the over flow bottle I think as well as...
Buddy of mine went through a ton of radiators last season as well as some mount for the over flow bottle I think as well as cracked exhaust multiple times, few top ends even one took a shit at LL last year. Decent bike but if your kids fast be prepared to spend some cha Ching on parts/repairs.
Wow. That sounds like a great thing to get people involved in mini racing. Remember when you just took a spare spark plug and levers in...
Wow. That sounds like a great thing to get people involved in mini racing. Remember when you just took a spare spark plug and levers in your tool box and you changed the top end every 6 months if you were a total OCD dad. No wonder why clubs and racing is dying off.
Dont even get me started MA are to blame also, you can buy a bullet proof clutch and other aftermarket parts way cheaper but the rules are they must be OEM so we are stuck replacing shit OEM parts with shit OEM parts that are way way way overpriced!
4DAIVIPAI2K5
12/3/2018 5:07am
Wow. That sounds like a great thing to get people involved in mini racing. Remember when you just took a spare spark plug and levers in...
I'm so happy that we picked up my boys 19 cobra 65 a couple days ago. He will only be riding his 50sr on the practice day before a race, race day and sparingly any training. Plan to spend the time on the 65 where I'm hoping to have less money pissed away like with 50's. Although all the cobra 50's we have had were great bikes.

But when 50's cost as much as a 125, it kills the youth participation also.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
12/3/2018 5:11am
Also Slowtime where are you at in Ohio. It might be a drive but Jimmy at Route 62 in Martinsburg has one heck of a series for the mini kids. It is a small indoor track with a great friendly environment. People are coming from near and far to race it. He does some mid week and weekend practices also.

We also have a group of 50/65 kids that go on weekend trips to NC to ride also if you want to tag along on some trips.
SLOWTIME
12/3/2018 6:41am
Also Slowtime where are you at in Ohio. It might be a drive but Jimmy at Route 62 in Martinsburg has one heck of a series...
Also Slowtime where are you at in Ohio. It might be a drive but Jimmy at Route 62 in Martinsburg has one heck of a series for the mini kids. It is a small indoor track with a great friendly environment. People are coming from near and far to race it. He does some mid week and weekend practices also.

We also have a group of 50/65 kids that go on weekend trips to NC to ride also if you want to tag along on some trips.
In Akron.. we were actually at rt62 sat and Sunday. It was fun! The little dude won both his motos in the shaft drive class. Thanks for the invite to NC. I’ll keep it in mind if we get some free time.
12/3/2018 6:43am
SLOWTIME wrote:
So to all you experts, what’s the best clutch setting for a fast kid coming off a pw? (For maximum life) Also, I’ve been riding my...
So to all you experts, what’s the best clutch setting for a fast kid coming off a pw? (For maximum life) Also, I’ve been riding my whole life.. working on a bike is nothing new to me. Thanks for all the horror stories. I really hope my piston doesn’t turn into a cactus.

This bike is serving as a quick stepping stone towards our fun 90’s project KX60. We aren’t a crazy mini family (:
Ha...he said FAST and maximum life in a 50cc thread. WoohooGrinningSillyGrinningWoohoo

Be prepared for long nights in the garage with your wife yearning for your warmth in bed cuz you won’t be there!
4DAIVIPAI2K5
12/3/2018 7:28am
SLOWTIME wrote:
In Akron.. we were actually at rt62 sat and Sunday. It was fun! The little dude won both his motos in the shaft drive class. Thanks...
In Akron.. we were actually at rt62 sat and Sunday. It was fun! The little dude won both his motos in the shaft drive class. Thanks for the invite to NC. I’ll keep it in mind if we get some free time.
I was there with my boy, we stopped by just to say hi and hang out for a bit, and support Jimmy. I tried to get him to let me drive the tractor to prep the big track lol.

We go on weekends. Leave Friday after school, drive to Fayetteville NC. Ride Saturday at East Bend, stay in a nice hotel Saturday night in Advance NC. Hotel has an Indoor pool with two 2 story water slides hot tub. Ride Sunday at mx421 until 4ish then head home. If you can find another friend to split the trip with we do for $200 bucks each.
agn5009
12/3/2018 7:54am
dedi684 wrote:
Im trying to sell a brand new one in the northeast $3200 never ridden
agn5009 wrote:
Where at???
dedi684 wrote:
NY
Like NYC, Buffalo, upstate?
SLOWTIME
12/3/2018 9:23am
SLOWTIME wrote:
So to all you experts, what’s the best clutch setting for a fast kid coming off a pw? (For maximum life) Also, I’ve been riding my...
So to all you experts, what’s the best clutch setting for a fast kid coming off a pw? (For maximum life) Also, I’ve been riding my whole life.. working on a bike is nothing new to me. Thanks for all the horror stories. I really hope my piston doesn’t turn into a cactus.

This bike is serving as a quick stepping stone towards our fun 90’s project KX60. We aren’t a crazy mini family (:
Ha...he said FAST and maximum life in a 50cc thread. :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :lol: :woohoo: Be prepared for long nights in the garage with your wife...
Ha...he said FAST and maximum life in a 50cc thread. WoohooGrinningSillyGrinningWoohoo

Be prepared for long nights in the garage with your wife yearning for your warmth in bed cuz you won’t be there!
Mr. Baker, I don’t need him to have the fastest bike. I was looking for input on a good base setting so we can continue to learn smoothness and technique.. (for a fast kid coming off a pw) Highly doubt we will be racing this bike. But if we do, I’ll text you, we’ll come to your new garage and we can work on it (: Hope all is well with you! -dts
rclee
12/22/2018 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2018 2:05pm
My sons 2018 50. Has 40 hours. Regular maintenance oil change every other ride along with air filter cleaned and replaced. Having issues. Bike loses power while throttle is open(twisted). Sounds like clutch slips. Eventually after a long timeframe of riding, water combusts out of the cap breather hose. Not sure what’s going on here I need to fix it Myself. I’m going to try and adjust his clutch but I have no clue how to. The owners manual kinda sucks. Please help
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
12/22/2018 2:17pm
My son was six when we first got a 17 50SX (Same as the 18)

Cracked the muffler in the first 20 hours, the inner cone snapped off.

Stator went at about the 60 hours mark.

Ring and Piston every 30 hours.

Two sets of radiators. The aftermarket ones are much better, but we can't race with them in Aus as the class is a stock bike class (Got away with running them at a state level but could not at the junior nationals here)

We have 80 hours on our now, can still race the 50 class for another two years here, but will only do one more. Have a race mid Jan, then will sell the 17 and get a fresh one to get us through the year. Will only run the 50 on race days, all other riding will be done on the YZ65.

Bigger bike is so much easier all round Smile

Fresh air filters and go ride Smile
12/22/2018 2:39pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
My son was six when we first got a 17 50SX (Same as the 18) Cracked the muffler in the first 20 hours, the inner cone...

Two sets of radiators. The aftermarket ones are much better, but we can't race with them in Aus as the class is a stock bike class (Got away with running them at a state level but could not at the junior nationals here)

We have 80 hours on our now, can still race the 50 class for another two years here, but will only do one more. Have a race mid Jan, then will sell the 17 and get a fresh one to get us through the year. Will only run the 50 on race days, all other riding will be done on the YZ65.

It's great hearing so much good about these new Yamaminins. Just stepped my boy up to an older KX60 for his little short legs. Think I'll be looking at the YZ65's when he's tall enough and there should be plenty of good used units around to choose from by then.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
12/22/2018 4:13pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
My son was six when we first got a 17 50SX (Same as the 18) Cracked the muffler in the first 20 hours, the inner cone...

It's great hearing so much good about these new Yamaminins. Just stepped my boy up to an older KX60 for his little short legs. Think I'll...
It's great hearing so much good about these new Yamaminins. Just stepped my boy up to an older KX60 for his little short legs. Think I'll be looking at the YZ65's when he's tall enough and there should be plenty of good used units around to choose from by then.
We lowered my sons YZ65 bike as much as we could, which was not a great deal, 20mm in the rear and slid the forks through as far as we could back in late May when we first got it.

Probably could have gone to a softer spring rate to help a little more, but he is only riding that for fun at the moment and it is saving us putting more hours on the 50, the 50 would have 110 hrs or more if we didnt have the 65 lol.

six months on, he is still 7 years old (8 next March) he can just touch the ground on one side but not enough to start it himself unless in a deep rut haha.

So far no issues at all, but he does not ride it any where near as fast as it will go, but What I have seen from friends with older faster kids, bike is still rock solid.

Actually the 50 was super solid until he picked up speed and started riding it reasonably hard. Will be interesting to see how we go with a fresh 50 next year.
mxer807
12/22/2018 7:43pm
rclee wrote:
My sons 2018 50. Has 40 hours. Regular maintenance oil change every other ride along with air filter cleaned and replaced. Having issues. Bike loses power...
My sons 2018 50. Has 40 hours. Regular maintenance oil change every other ride along with air filter cleaned and replaced. Having issues. Bike loses power while throttle is open(twisted). Sounds like clutch slips. Eventually after a long timeframe of riding, water combusts out of the cap breather hose. Not sure what’s going on here I need to fix it Myself. I’m going to try and adjust his clutch but I have no clue how to. The owners manual kinda sucks. Please help
Cooked stator?
AngryBear
12/22/2018 9:22pm
rclee wrote:
My sons 2018 50. Has 40 hours. Regular maintenance oil change every other ride along with air filter cleaned and replaced. Having issues. Bike loses power...
mxer807 wrote:
Cooked stator?
water combusts?
rclee
12/22/2018 9:28pm
rclee wrote:
mxer807 wrote:
Cooked stator?
AngryBear wrote:
water combusts?
Yea after an hour or so of riding with a few breaks. But I shut him down when the water combusts.
mxer807
12/22/2018 9:42pm
rclee wrote:
mxer807 wrote:
Cooked stator?
AngryBear wrote:
water combusts?
Huh
Blink
mxer807
12/22/2018 9:45pm
mxer807 wrote:
Cooked stator?
AngryBear wrote:
water combusts?
rclee wrote:
Yea after an hour or so of riding with a few breaks. But I shut him down when the water combusts.
What exactly do you mean by when the water combusts?
rclee
12/22/2018 9:56pm
AngryBear wrote:
water combusts?
rclee wrote:
mxer807 wrote:
What exactly do you mean by when the water combusts?
Water combusts out of the breather hose that’s on the cap after an hour session or so. I changed the oil and checked plus topped the water off Including adjust the clutch for higher rpm. I was thinking the current setting was slipping too much idk tho. We are going to ride tomorrow if I have the same problem I’m going to replace water seals. Do a top end plus replace the clutch.
chump6784
12/23/2018 12:44am
rclee wrote:
If the clutch is slipping too much it will cause excessive heat. Lay the bike on its side and take the clutch cover off, you week see 3 8mm bolts. Turn them counter clockwise and count the clicks. Standard is around 14 clicks in I think. The more clicks in the higher the revs before the clutch engages. I have my daughters 50 set at around 6 clicks in, my son's at 9. They are both slower riders and these settings work well for them
rclee
12/23/2018 5:11am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2018 5:12am
rclee wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
If the clutch is slipping too much it will cause excessive heat. Lay the bike on its side and take the clutch cover off, you week...
If the clutch is slipping too much it will cause excessive heat. Lay the bike on its side and take the clutch cover off, you week see 3 8mm bolts. Turn them counter clockwise and count the clicks. Standard is around 14 clicks in I think. The more clicks in the higher the revs before the clutch engages. I have my daughters 50 set at around 6 clicks in, my son's at 9. They are both slower riders and these settings work well for them
Thank you. That sounds logical. I’m going to try it. I’ll let you know how it goes a today

Post a reply to: 2018 Husqvarna TC50

The Latest