2018 CRF450R Bog Out/Die

mcardamon
Edited Date/Time 1/3/2019 4:06pm
I'm on my 2nd hour on my 2018 CRF450R w/ the softest map on, and I was in third gear rolling on the power out of a corner and it bogged out (no, was not lugging it) and it just bogged out and died on me. Started right up after....

My buddy that owns a '17 told me that he had the same issue in the soft map + normal map, and once he changed it to the aggressive setting it went away.

Thoughts?
|
gt757
8/24/2017 10:57am
i have problems with a 17, it was running great w/ second map and all of the sudden it went off standing alone and wouldn't run again, we checked the electricity, wires, F.I., spark plug and everything seems to be fine but the dang thing just doesn't start Sad
Acidreamer
8/24/2017 11:24am
Its a honda.

For real tho, and just a wild guess because i cant hear it or see how you actually rode it.. Get it remapped Or dont use that setting. 3rd gear in a corner on a 450 is lugging it, and being in a soft map just adds to it. Try going down to 2nd gear and see what happens when the rpms are higher.
dedi684
8/24/2017 11:26am
gt757 wrote:
i have problems with a 17, it was running great w/ second map and all of the sudden it went off standing alone and wouldn't run...
i have problems with a 17, it was running great w/ second map and all of the sudden it went off standing alone and wouldn't run again, we checked the electricity, wires, F.I., spark plug and everything seems to be fine but the dang thing just doesn't start Sad
Buddy's 17 was doing that he replaced kill switch on left side it had moisture in it
mcardamon
8/24/2017 11:42am
Acidreamer wrote:
Its a honda. For real tho, and just a wild guess because i cant hear it or see how you actually rode it.. Get it remapped...
Its a honda.

For real tho, and just a wild guess because i cant hear it or see how you actually rode it.. Get it remapped Or dont use that setting. 3rd gear in a corner on a 450 is lugging it, and being in a soft map just adds to it. Try going down to 2nd gear and see what happens when the rpms are higher.
Obviously it depends on the corner, in a big sweeper like the one I am talking about 3rd gear is not lugging. I was carrying plenty of speed and I was mid range when I started to roll it on. It was abnormal for the bike to do that.

The Shop

mxracin
8/24/2017 12:14pm
I've seen this problem come up, and to fix the starting issue was to simply turn the idle up. It also solved the bong and die issue. Check the owners manual, it'll tell you what it needs to be set at.
MBR
8/24/2017 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 12:40pm
I don't know how much it costs or how much of trouble is it do remap in US, but I have been testing a few weeks now the WifiCom2 box from GET that costs only around 250 euro (300 USD) and you can remap the bike yourself again and again. You just plug it in to your CRF and you can change both ignition and fuel settings from your phone or iPad. It is officially licensed by Honda and it does everything that the PC version with wires does and works with both CRF250R & CRF450R since 2013. You can either zip tie it to your bike or take it away after you changed the map.

It's been really interesting to try different settings with our CRF450R's (2017) and just putting less advance down low makes the bike a much easier to ride. At least our team riders love the map with less advance (even -8) in low RMP & less than 30% throttle and more fuel and advance from mid to top. If you planning to stay on Honda for a few years I would definitely recommend this as you can play around and find the perfect setting for you.

http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/blog/wificom2-pura-tecnologia-nata-dalla…

kiwifan
8/24/2017 12:38pm
MBR wrote:
I don't know how much it costs or how much of trouble is it do remap in US, but I have been testing a few weeks...
I don't know how much it costs or how much of trouble is it do remap in US, but I have been testing a few weeks now the WifiCom2 box from GET that costs only around 250 euro (300 USD) and you can remap the bike yourself again and again. You just plug it in to your CRF and you can change both ignition and fuel settings from your phone or iPad. It is officially licensed by Honda and it does everything that the PC version with wires does and works with both CRF250R & CRF450R since 2013. You can either zip tie it to your bike or take it away after you changed the map.

It's been really interesting to try different settings with our CRF450R's (2017) and just putting less advance down low makes the bike a much easier to ride. At least our team riders love the map with less advance (even -8) in low RMP & less than 30% throttle and more fuel and advance from mid to top. If you planning to stay on Honda for a few years I would definitely recommend this as you can play around and find the perfect setting for you.

http://www.athenaparts.com/eng/blog/wificom2-pura-tecnologia-nata-dalla…

Agree, I highly recommend this product Smile
gt757
8/24/2017 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/24/2017 1:02pm
gt757 wrote:
i have problems with a 17, it was running great w/ second map and all of the sudden it went off standing alone and wouldn't run...
dedi684 wrote:
Buddy's 17 was doing that he replaced kill switch on left side it had moisture in it
so he replaced the whole thing and that worked? mine seems also to have moisture in it...
cjmx
Fantasy
1179th
8/24/2017 2:13pm
mxracin wrote:
I've seen this problem come up, and to fix the starting issue was to simply turn the idle up. It also solved the bong and die...
I've seen this problem come up, and to fix the starting issue was to simply turn the idle up. It also solved the bong and die issue. Check the owners manual, it'll tell you what it needs to be set at.
This ^^^ turn the idle up. Easy to test. If not, remap
Bennett59
8/24/2017 4:17pm
I know a local guy had issues with his bike to and it was kill switch
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/24/2017 4:31pm
kiwifan wrote:
Agree, I highly recommend this product Smile
The app needs an update to allow editing the maps offline when the bike isn't running before I would recommend it to anyone. Until that update comes along you better have some fans blowing on the radiators while doing this. Dan from GET usa has said that this was Honda's choice to not allow offline map editing.
JohnnyD13
8/24/2017 6:38pm
You guys are making me nervous.
Lol. Right after you bought 2! It will be fine. Yours will run forever
mxwrench66
8/24/2017 8:32pm
gt757 wrote:
unplug your killswitch
tmauto769
Fantasy
1001st
8/25/2017 4:44am
Don't be, if the last numbers on the VIN are an indication of when they came off the production line, mine would be one of the first 17's in the country last year(000195), and they were the ones that supposedly had problems. Mine has had none. Keep in mind, you only hear of things that went wrong, how many thousands are out there that you don't hear about that don't have issues. It's a Honda, maintain it and ride it, it will last.
8/25/2017 5:22am
mxracin wrote:
I've seen this problem come up, and to fix the starting issue was to simply turn the idle up. It also solved the bong and die...
This is correct. A friend of mine was having the stalling issues with his 17 around the 2-3 hour mark. Turned up the idle and it's never done it since.
Kenny Lingus
8/25/2017 7:00am
tmauto769 wrote:
Don't be, if the last numbers on the VIN are an indication of when they came off the production line, mine would be one of the...
Don't be, if the last numbers on the VIN are an indication of when they came off the production line, mine would be one of the first 17's in the country last year(000195), and they were the ones that supposedly had problems. Mine has had none. Keep in mind, you only hear of things that went wrong, how many thousands are out there that you don't hear about that don't have issues. It's a Honda, maintain it and ride it, it will last.
I was definitely joking. Long time Honda guy. Just got off an '05 that was bulletproof. Sold it for $2000.

BobPA
8/25/2017 7:14am
tmauto769 wrote:
Don't be, if the last numbers on the VIN are an indication of when they came off the production line, mine would be one of the...
I was definitely joking. Long time Honda guy. Just got off an '05 that was bulletproof. Sold it for $2000.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/25/211421/s1200_IMG_20170808_160954177.jpg[/img]
I was definitely joking. Long time Honda guy. Just got off an '05 that was bulletproof. Sold it for $2000.

I hope you didn't sell those apehangers with the bike.
Kenny Lingus
8/25/2017 7:18am
BobPA wrote:
I hope you didn't sell those apehangers with the bike.
I am 6'2" I need them. I have some friends that do FMX and even they say the bars are tall.
H4L
8/25/2017 8:09am
tmauto769 wrote:
Yup. I've owned the 4 major Japanese brands & Hondas have been the most bullet proof for me.
Bennett59
8/25/2017 9:52am
Knock on wood my 17 been great only one stall out and that was my fault. I have not touched my idle at all and as of now map 1, I keep forgetting my manual to look at which is the aggressive map. After I wash any of my bikes I blow all the water off with my air compressor especially the controls area.
4/9/2018 3:26pm
Just purchased the 2018 CRF450R had it for 1 day ran great then shut it off and put it away for the night the next day I was going riding with buddy’s from work it started and I ran it for about 20 mins then turned it off to drink a beer then went to start it again and will not start we tried to start it for over 30 mins and nothing it would act like it wanted to start and run for about 1-3 second then bog out again then it wouldn’t do anything like the bike had no battery in it there was no sound when hitting the start button I called my dealer and told him this and I said I only have 2 hours on the bike this makes no sense if any one has had this issue please let me know I’m so pissed off
4/9/2018 3:30pm
Bennett59 wrote:
I know a local guy had issues with his bike to and it was kill switch
My 2018 CRF450R I put 2 hours on it and the second day I had it it died and will not start back up just sent it back to the dealer I hope it’s somthing simple I mean what could be wrong with a brand new bike right?
peelout
4/9/2018 3:31pm
hate to be Captain Obvious here but what do you have your sprocket bolts torqued at?
4/9/2018 3:40pm
mcardamon wrote:
I'm on my 2nd hour on my 2018 CRF450R w/ the softest map on, and I was in third gear rolling on the power out of...
I'm on my 2nd hour on my 2018 CRF450R w/ the softest map on, and I was in third gear rolling on the power out of a corner and it bogged out (no, was not lugging it) and it just bogged out and died on me. Started right up after....

My buddy that owns a '17 told me that he had the same issue in the soft map + normal map, and once he changed it to the aggressive setting it went away.

Thoughts?
I had the same problem I got to 2 hours on my brand new 2018 CRF450R and I started it and ran it for about 30 mins and turned it off and drank a beer and went to start it like 25 mins later and it wouldn’t start it would Act like it wanted to but would not actually fire then I eventually killed the battery turning it over and just got pissed off becuse I just bought it 2 days ago then I proceeded the next day to empty the gas out of the tank for the spark plug check all the wiring and put everything back together put fresh gas in it and when I went to hit the start button there was nothing it was no sound at all so I got mad and I called the dealer and I sent it back to the dealer he told me he was going to look at it free of charge and find out what was going on with that and I expressed that I was very upset because I just spent nine grand and I haven’t even got to ride a bike for more than two hours
4/9/2018 3:44pm
peelout wrote:
hate to be Captain Obvious here but what do you have your sprocket bolts torqued at?
I have no clue what your talking about I just bought the bike and I have not touched anything besides starting it and riding it
Tryhard
4/9/2018 3:54pm
If i run the first map on my 18' 250r , it died alot for some reason , not sure why exactly . I only use map 3 for the braaaaps! no issues there .
4/9/2018 4:16pm
Tryhard wrote:
If i run the first map on my 18' 250r , it died alot for some reason , not sure why exactly . I only use...
If i run the first map on my 18' 250r , it died alot for some reason , not sure why exactly . I only use map 3 for the braaaaps! no issues there .
Iv kept it on aggressive mode ever since I had it I got only 2 hours on the bike

Post a reply to: 2018 CRF450R Bog Out/Die

The Latest