2018 CRF450 Remove E start

jtiger12
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2018 9:20am
So, after the race the other week (I think it was houston) Matthes interviewed brayton. He said something which caught my attention, especially since I am very close to pulling the trigger on a crf450. He said his race bike had a kickstart, and he preferred the kick start as it removed extra weight and he was just uses to it that way. Is this something other people are doing? I am guessing removing kick from an 18 would be easier than adding e start to a 17. You would need the gears, spring, kick, plug, and the auto decomp system. Is the cam different in the 18?
|
Bennett59
1/20/2018 9:01am
Decompressor on cam is different, gears in tranny, the wiring harness
Johnny Depp
1/20/2018 9:04am
I'm gonna laugh the 1st time he crashes and loses time getting fired back up. Maybe he's running a Rekluse Auto so he won't have to worry about it. I know everyone denies using them, same as PED's.
jtiger12
1/20/2018 9:04am
Yes, but the harness and battery are extra items, so removing them and wrapping connections with tape or plastic is easy.
slowgti
1/20/2018 9:08am
jtiger12 wrote:
Yes, but the harness and battery are extra items, so removing them and wrapping connections with tape or plastic is easy.
Wire weight adds up

The Shop

H4L
1/20/2018 9:12am
The 18 doesn't come with a kick start. Unless your riding at a higher pro level like Brayton I don't think the extra weight of the battery is that noticeable. I came off of 09-10 models that were the lightest 450's at that time & pulled the trigger on a 18 in Dec. 2017. Don't know what the weight differences are, but the 18 with e-start feels lighter while pushing it & loading it on the truck. It also feels lighter while in motion with a very good feel to how it distributes the weight.

Lightning78
1/20/2018 9:17am
It would be kinda funny to see people go the same direction with e-start as they did with air forks. Everybody loved the idea of air forks at first but that obviously changed. I highly doubt e-start will follow the same consumer approval trends but really, what was ever wron with kickstarting your dirtbike? People that complained that they were to beat up to kick their bike only mentioned the inconvenience once they HAD e-start. If it never made its way to production bikesi dont think there wouldve been an overwhelming push to include e-start on production bikes..... which consequently ADDED 10 more pounds to bikes that roll off the assembly line over 20lbs heavier than the 2 strokes they replaced some 15 years ago. Kinda sad if you ask me. EFI and E-Start are responsible for a 20lb weight gain that were technological advancements addrd to bikes that made the 4 strokes “better” and i wonder where the japanese would be weight-wise if they chose to forgo efi and e-start in lieu of saving the 20lbs these japanese mfgs have not been able to shake off
1/20/2018 9:20am
I'm gonna laugh the 1st time he crashes and loses time getting fired back up. Maybe he's running a Rekluse Auto so he won't have to...
I'm gonna laugh the 1st time he crashes and loses time getting fired back up. Maybe he's running a Rekluse Auto so he won't have to worry about it. I know everyone denies using them, same as PED's.
At least he know his bike will start. Brayton being on a factory supported team rather than the factory team itself, probably has a lot more freedom to run what he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the factory guys would rather not have e-start. Never have to worry about an elecrical issue and they do happen.

Post a reply to: 2018 CRF450 Remove E start

The Latest