2018 CRF250R..any news?

10/27/2017 6:24am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2017 6:27am
Yes. It's always been a bit of a mistatement to say 125s 2ts were particularly high revving.

Here's a first generation (2002) YZ250F vs YZ125 chart. HP Peak at same range with more over-rev on the F.
Lastander
10/27/2017 7:04am
Sounds like the bike is extremely rev happy. Would love to see Barcia ride it :) 14,400 RPM redline...thats insane. What did 125 two strokes redline...
Sounds like the bike is extremely rev happy. Would love to see Barcia ride it Smile

14,400 RPM redline...thats insane. What did 125 two strokes redline at?

One thing I cant help but comment on is the weight. Even if it has a KTM like powerband and power its still carrying around 10 lbs extra compared to the KTM/Husky. Where is all that weight lost at on the Austrian bikes?
2strokes dont redline, unless you speak of the new enduro fuel injected KTMs, as a carb engine rev as long as there is fuel and air increasing
JBecker 72
10/27/2017 7:48am
Myke wrote:
Love it! MXA brings a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket with them to the release demo day! https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-first-ride-video-2018-honda-crf250-twin-piper/
Love it! MXA brings a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket with them to the release demo day!

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxa-first-ride-video-2018-honda-crf250-t…
Haha

I can understand why they recommend it on some bikes, as they can be geared pretty tall, like most 450s. But I’ve always felt that was going backwards on a 250F.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
10/27/2017 9:29am
Racer X

The Shop

10/27/2017 11:28am
That thing sure sounds nice. It has that grunt just like the yamaha's. I like it.
305FC250
10/27/2017 12:59pm
Checked out the video on racer x. Seems like it's only got power up sky high in the rpm range as they went on about that quite a bit, similar to KTM's engine. I was worried I'd regret not waiting for the Honda to hit showrooms, but as a guy who likes more linear power with good bottom and mid out of a 4 stroke, I'm happy I went with Yamaha. If I wanted something that only makes power when it's wound out, I'd rather ride a smoker.
tomtruxell
10/27/2017 1:14pm
I'm sure putting on a 49 rear sprocket will make the bottom end feel better, rev up faster, get it feeling more like the 16/17 which has a 49 stock. The 48 hurts bottom end power feel and helps the top end.
twotwosix
10/27/2017 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2017 1:33pm
tomtruxell wrote:
I'm sure putting on a 49 rear sprocket will make the bottom end feel better, rev up faster, get it feeling more like the 16/17 which...
I'm sure putting on a 49 rear sprocket will make the bottom end feel better, rev up faster, get it feeling more like the 16/17 which has a 49 stock. The 48 hurts bottom end power feel and helps the top end.
250Fs need to be screamed. Shortening up 2nd gear so you need to get into 3rd sooner usually isn't my go to on a 250F... I'd be looking into Slip-ons, powerflow kit, remap etc. I'd bet this bike will probably scream with a 14.5:1 compression piston, a remap and some race fuel.
tomtruxell
10/27/2017 1:43pm
Ya I agree. I'd try some remapping first, the exhaust won't be cheap and I wonder how much gains will be had, hopefully Honda made it fairly light and not restrictive. I guess what I meant is if someone is using the bottom end alot, slower rider, then a gearing change may help. I didn't prefer the 49 on my 16, I went with taller gearing, 270 kit, exhaust and remapping.
twotwosix
10/27/2017 1:47pm
tomtruxell wrote:
Ya I agree. I'd try some remapping first, the exhaust won't be cheap and I wonder how much gains will be had, hopefully Honda made it...
Ya I agree. I'd try some remapping first, the exhaust won't be cheap and I wonder how much gains will be had, hopefully Honda made it fairly light and not restrictive. I guess what I meant is if someone is using the bottom end alot, slower rider, then a gearing change may help. I didn't prefer the 49 on my 16, I went with taller gearing, 270 kit, exhaust and remapping.
Sounds like a fun bike!
10/27/2017 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2017 2:01pm
tomtruxell wrote:
I'm sure putting on a 49 rear sprocket will make the bottom end feel better, rev up faster, get it feeling more like the 16/17 which...
twotwosix wrote:
250Fs need to be screamed. Shortening up 2nd gear so you need to get into 3rd sooner usually isn't my go to on a 250F... I'd...
250Fs need to be screamed. Shortening up 2nd gear so you need to get into 3rd sooner usually isn't my go to on a 250F... I'd be looking into Slip-ons, powerflow kit, remap etc. I'd bet this bike will probably scream with a 14.5:1 compression piston, a remap and some race fuel.
I know through the grape vine that early testing at Geico FCR found the standard exhaust pretty hard to beat as you'd expect with something so intricate, but got some good results from good fuel, a Vortex and mapping and head work. Higher compression will def help with more low-mid. I'm sure there will be some cams developed too by the aftermarket that will boost the low-mid at the expence of a lttle of that big top end. This engine has a lot of potential but is always going to be rev happy with that bore x stroke.
So in saying that, if you have a limited budget for stuff after initial purchase opting for a Vortex with FCR developed mapping and good fuel before the slip on or full system. Try the extra tooth also. Especially for tighter tracks. That's a very cheap mod. Got to laugh at MXA still though for that
Bramlett321
10/27/2017 5:02pm
Yes, it won't be as light or fast a ktm and wont be electric start either. I heard it looks good though.
Gandorlf wrote:
Will 100% be based off the 17' 450R. E-start an optional extra possibly?

But it will have Japanese build quality. Something the KTM will never have.

FYI, KTM uses much higher quality metals in their bikes. It's not even debatable. I can't knock Japanese engineering. But I wouldn't be knocking KTM build...
FYI,

KTM uses much higher quality metals in their bikes. It's not even debatable.

I can't knock Japanese engineering. But I wouldn't be knocking KTM build quality either.
I'd have to agree with you on that point , I've got both and the ktm fit and finish, build quality and even reliability is spot on !! Anyone that says different has never owned the KTM.
brocsdad
10/27/2017 6:24pm
Gandorlf wrote:
Will 100% be based off the 17' 450R. E-start an optional extra possibly?

But it will have Japanese build quality. Something the KTM will never have.

FYI, KTM uses much higher quality metals in their bikes. It's not even debatable. I can't knock Japanese engineering. But I wouldn't be knocking KTM build...
FYI,

KTM uses much higher quality metals in their bikes. It's not even debatable.

I can't knock Japanese engineering. But I wouldn't be knocking KTM build quality either.
I'd have to agree with you on that point , I've got both and the ktm fit and finish, build quality and even reliability is spot...
I'd have to agree with you on that point , I've got both and the ktm fit and finish, build quality and even reliability is spot on !! Anyone that says different has never owned the KTM.
KTM may want to beef up the transmission gears. I know of several 16 and 16 125's and 250f's with broke trannys.
greg570
10/27/2017 10:55pm
Why do they even bother to paint the engine cases? They look like shit after 10 minutes...
JackLHyde
10/27/2017 11:15pm
tomtruxell wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
250Fs need to be screamed. Shortening up 2nd gear so you need to get into 3rd sooner usually isn't my go to on a 250F... I'd...
I know through the grape vine that early testing at Geico FCR found the standard exhaust pretty hard to beat as you'd expect with something so...
I know through the grape vine that early testing at Geico FCR found the standard exhaust pretty hard to beat as you'd expect with something so intricate, but got some good results from good fuel, a Vortex and mapping and head work. Higher compression will def help with more low-mid. I'm sure there will be some cams developed too by the aftermarket that will boost the low-mid at the expence of a lttle of that big top end. This engine has a lot of potential but is always going to be rev happy with that bore x stroke.
So in saying that, if you have a limited budget for stuff after initial purchase opting for a Vortex with FCR developed mapping and good fuel before the slip on or full system. Try the extra tooth also. Especially for tighter tracks. That's a very cheap mod. Got to laugh at MXA still though for that
Sounds promising, especially since an ECU offers way more bang for the buck than any exhaust and doesn't lose value when you want to sell it.
It might be a good idea to get the stock mufflers hard-anodized or cerakoted right after purchase.
10/28/2017 2:13am
Loose lips within Honda lost jobs. They are keeping this one close for some reason
kiwifan wrote:
fullysicmate knows.... apparently its "Yes, it won't be as light or fast a ktm and wont be electric start either. I heard it looks good though."...
fullysicmate knows.... apparently its "Yes, it won't be as light or fast a ktm and wont be electric start either. I heard it looks good though." ....very insightful.

It will likely be based on the 17 450, as to whether its as light as a KTM or has EC as standard no one knows yet....mind you the '17 version is only 3 pounds heavier than a KTM, so not as though its a massive difference
Correct me if I'm wrong kiwifan.

Post a reply to: 2018 CRF250R..any news?

The Latest