2018 CRF 250 Starting Problems - Fixed

Edited Date/Time 6/1/2018 12:14am
I bought a 2018 CRF 250 for my daughter that has 3.1 hrs on it and it quit today. Battery seems to be stone dead. Swapped out my battery from my 2018 450 and it wont even turn the bike over. Anyone have any suggestions. At the first race of the year and have a $10000 paperweight sitting in the trailer now. A kickstarter would be nice right about now!
|
JkopMx
5/26/2018 8:35pm
We had a 450 do the same.
jumper the starter motor on the clutch side behind the number plate. by the relay where the power comes from the battery. You could just use a metal wrench and place it on both to "jumper" it.

if it tried to start , ur relay is bad or like our bike was. the harness has a fault in a wire.
5/28/2018 5:00am
Yes it bump started just fine with the 450 (good) battery installed and ran fine as well with the 450 battery in it. When I shut it off and tried to use the electric start it just make a clicking and just seemed like it had a very weak battery in it that could not turn the bike over. I think that it must be a starter issue now. Really frustrated, but I'll dig into it tonight when I get home from work.

The Shop

Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/28/2018 5:40am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2018 5:46am
Start simple first.

If that same battery will start the 450 its not the problem.

Like said before, that starter relay is the bridge between your battery and starter, if the resistance is to high you will not get full power (amps and voltage drops).

With that being said, check your main battery cables for corrosion and make sure they are snug tight.

Also... Troubleshooting hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical circuits can be frustrating when you get scatter brain, you can't look all around. You have to stop and think LINEAR, one thing at a time. That electrical system on that bike is very A to B, its not that bad bud.
5/28/2018 6:47am
Good advice Markee, thanks I will slow down and get linear with it tonight when I get home and am in no rush (not sitting at the races with a crowd of "helpers and opinions"). I'll post up once I get it figured out just for those that might be curious. And yes swedishfishmx it did have a blown fuse on the starter side of the relay switch so that is why I am thinking it may be a starter issue. Either way we'll get it figured out in the next day or two I hope and I really appreciate the advice from some fellow mx'ers.
5/31/2018 3:51pm
Just in case anyone was curious, finally determined the problem.
1. Removed starter bench tested it , it worked fine.
2. Tested solenoid, worked fine.
3. checked all wires for cut or break. Entire wire harness was fine.
4. Removed valve cover to check decompression spring/system - it works fine
5. Used new battery - still no go, but turned over a smidge, battery works fine in my 450. Notice starter getting really hot - thought about improper ground. ran extra wire from battery ground to starter - works absolutely perfect - still curious, so I pulled the starter to check how it was grounded to the cases and noticed that paint overspray (in my opinion) was not allowing starter to ground properly. Cleaned bottom of starter off with file and put it back together and works great.
6. By the way Honda dealer was excellent throughout this and took care of everything - crap happens but dealer stood behind what they sold - even though this was an inconvenience I am a happy customer and my daughter has a bike that she can race this upcoming weekend. I hope this helps someone else down the road that may experience the same problem..
DL
5/31/2018 3:57pm
Just in case anyone was curious, finally determined the problem. 1. Removed starter bench tested it , it worked fine. 2. Tested solenoid, worked fine. 3...
5. Used new battery - still no go, but turned over a smidge, battery works fine in my 450. Notice starter getting really hot - thought about improper ground. ran extra wire from battery ground to starter - works absolutely perfect - still curious, so I pulled the starter to check how it was grounded to the cases and noticed that paint overspray (in my opinion) was not allowing starter to ground properly. Cleaned bottom of starter off with file and put it back together and works great.
6. By the way Honda dealer was excellent throughout this and took care of everything - crap happens but dealer stood behind what they sold - even though this was an inconvenience I am a happy customer and my daughter has a bike that she can race this upcoming weekend. I hope this helps someone else down the road that may experience the same problem..
Good work and thanks for the follow up!
5/31/2018 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2018 8:52pm
Excellent diagnostics and good follow up. Should change the title perhaps to 2018 CRF250 starting problem fixed
5/31/2018 10:45pm
Just in case anyone was curious, finally determined the problem. 1. Removed starter bench tested it , it worked fine. 2. Tested solenoid, worked fine. 3...
Interesting although you will have more problems going forwards:

1. Kill switch goes bad pretty easily, bike runs then dies after a few seconds.
2. Clutch baskets break - you want to put a Hinson or rekluse in ASAP.
3. Head picks up on cam. Most likely due to lack of oil when starting. Once it’s picked up a small bit, it’s just a matter of time. You want to prime cam with oil when starting by running starter with kill switch pushed in to pump oil up.
4. Pull oem clutch fibers/steels/springs out and out And replace with Hinson stack, removing inside plate and judder spring. otherwise inside plate will break. This means splitting engine as it will block the one and only engine oil pump/passage.
5. Run 300ml extra oil

DL
5/31/2018 11:04pm
109 wrote:
Interesting although you will have more problems going forwards: 1. Kill switch goes bad pretty easily, bike runs then dies after a few seconds. 2. Clutch...

3. Head picks up on cam. Most likely due to lack of oil when starting. Once it’s picked up a small bit, it’s just a matter of time. You want to prime cam with oil when starting by running starter with kill switch pushed in to pump oil up.
4. Pull oem clutch fibers/steels/springs out and out And replace with Hinson stack, removing inside plate and judder spring. otherwise inside plate will break. This means splitting engine as it will block the one and only engine oil pump/passage.
5. Run 300ml extra oil

There’s a problem with the oil pick up. With extreme leangles the oil pump starves. Simple fix..... Run 300cc’s extra oil.
usafwx
6/4/2018 10:45pm
109 wrote:
Interesting although you will have more problems going forwards: 1. Kill switch goes bad pretty easily, bike runs then dies after a few seconds. 2. Clutch...

5. Run 300ml extra oil

Currently deciding between a leftover 17 or 18. I was apprehensive about the all new dual cam motor and saw some clutch plate/basket failures on thumpertalk. Haven't heard much about new motor in terms of issues besides this just now. Stay clear for another year or two until they work out kinks?
kiwifan
6/4/2018 11:37pm
109 wrote:

5. Run 300ml extra oil

usafwx wrote:
Currently deciding between a leftover 17 or 18. I was apprehensive about the all new dual cam motor and saw some clutch plate/basket failures on thumpertalk...
Currently deciding between a leftover 17 or 18. I was apprehensive about the all new dual cam motor and saw some clutch plate/basket failures on thumpertalk. Haven't heard much about new motor in terms of issues besides this just now. Stay clear for another year or two until they work out kinks?
I think if you follow the advice above you will have little issues with the 18, 17 is the old single cam motor, the 19 has a lot of changes for the better, suggest waiting for that if you can wait a few more months
usafwx
6/4/2018 11:40pm
kiwifan wrote:
I think if you follow the advice above you will have little issues with the 18, 17 is the old single cam motor, the 19 has...
I think if you follow the advice above you will have little issues with the 18, 17 is the old single cam motor, the 19 has a lot of changes for the better, suggest waiting for that if you can wait a few more months
Yep I had a 16 and didn’t mind the unicam engine for a c vet rider like me, but wasn’t a fan of the Showa air forks. Will see when I get back from my deployment here in a month.
kiwifan
6/5/2018 12:39am
kiwifan wrote:
I think if you follow the advice above you will have little issues with the 18, 17 is the old single cam motor, the 19 has...
usafwx wrote:
Yep I had a 16 and didn’t mind the unicam engine for a c vet rider like me, but wasn’t a fan of the Showa air...
Yep I had a 16 and didn’t mind the unicam engine for a c vet rider like me, but wasn’t a fan of the Showa air forks. Will see when I get back from my deployment here in a month.
fair call, tell you what you will love the 18 suspension!!
usafwx
6/5/2018 1:07am
kiwifan wrote:
That's what's got me eyeballing the 18-19s along with the new frame. I could careless about electric start and missing a bit on bottom end. Just need something reliable to carry me through the last year of active duty and 3 years of grad school, might wait for the 19 but already seeing nice discounts on 17's and even 18's. We'll see, thanks for the input.
kiwifan
6/5/2018 1:09am
kiwifan wrote:
usafwx wrote:
That's what's got me eyeballing the 18-19s along with the new frame. I could careless about electric start and missing a bit on bottom end. Just...
That's what's got me eyeballing the 18-19s along with the new frame. I could careless about electric start and missing a bit on bottom end. Just need something reliable to carry me through the last year of active duty and 3 years of grad school, might wait for the 19 but already seeing nice discounts on 17's and even 18's. We'll see, thanks for the input.
yep, and judging by the changes they have done on the 2019's, then the bottom end issues probably are addressed
FRANK121
6/10/2018 8:39am
Who told you to run 300ml extra oil? If my math is right that's 10.144 fluid ounces! That's another 1/3 quart! No wonder some of these clutch baskets are breaking?
Bkep73
9/3/2019 7:26pm
I bought a 2018 CRF 250 for my daughter that has 3.1 hrs on it and it quit today. Battery seems to be stone dead. Swapped...
I bought a 2018 CRF 250 for my daughter that has 3.1 hrs on it and it quit today. Battery seems to be stone dead. Swapped out my battery from my 2018 450 and it wont even turn the bike over. Anyone have any suggestions. At the first race of the year and have a $10000 paperweight sitting in the trailer now. A kickstarter would be nice right about now!
Hey man I’m a local A rider here in Texas my 2019 crf250r did the exact same thing (twice) my cam literally almost seized itself to the head and fried my cams and cam journals and I’m tired of throwing good money after bad any obvious fixes if you don’t mind sharing them with me I’m to much money in the hole for it to mess up again. Is it oil pump failure or a factory f*** up lol I’ve been chasing my tail for almost 2 months now. My bike did it at 33hours.
Goffen
10/16/2019 10:02am
JkopMx wrote:
We had a 450 do the same. jumper the starter motor on the clutch side behind the number plate. by the relay where the power comes...
jumper the starter motor on the clutch side behind the number plate. by the relay where the power comes from the battery. You could just use a metal wrench and place it on both to "jumper" it.

if it tried to start , ur relay is bad or like our bike was. the harness has a fault in a wire.
U mind telling what cabel it was and where?!
JkopMx
10/16/2019 10:11am
JkopMx wrote:
We had a 450 do the same. jumper the starter motor on the clutch side behind the number plate. by the relay where the power comes...

Goffen wrote:
U mind telling what cabel it was and where?!
Shoot me a PM. Which wire your referring to I’m not sure .

The wire that was bad in our 450 was a wire inside the wire harness going to the relay .

Touching the 2 terminals together bypassed that wire and started the bike.

Post a reply to: 2018 CRF 250 Starting Problems - Fixed

The Latest