2018.5 KTM Factory Edition...ETA?

3/7/2018 11:32am
Sorry not the orange one but did get a few moto's in on my FC450 Rockstar Edition last Sunday. I have had a few 450 Factory...
Sorry not the orange one but did get a few moto's in on my FC450 Rockstar Edition last Sunday. I have had a few 450 Factory Editions including the 2017 model. For me the engine changes are subtle - little quicker revving, little stronger pull low to mid, little less vibration, Map 2 is more lively and responsive, still has exceptional throttle to rear wheel connectivity and finds traction. Power is so smooth - easy to get on the gas earlier in corners. The chassis changes are more noticeable to me. Better precision in cornering (especially entry) and tracking in the rough stuff and ruts. The shrouds are lower and thinner and give the bike a smaller feel. Orange or white these are very good bikes!

A question can you remove the lower part of the sidepannels?
MX915
3/7/2018 11:43am
A question can you remove the lower part of the sidepannels?

Looks like it gets snapped and screwed into the airbox. Parts #4 and #5.
Tim507
3/8/2018 7:18pm
Woohoo Looking forward to the weekend Woohoo

jwoltz
3/8/2018 7:23pm
West coast already! You in Oregon still?

The Shop

Tim507
3/8/2018 7:26pm
jwoltz wrote:
yep.....tomorrow evening the bike gets a lube jobWhistling
jwoltz
3/8/2018 7:47pm
Tim507 wrote:
That gets me excited. Congrats!
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
3/9/2018 12:59am
jwoltz wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
How far are you planning to go with the lube job lol? I am waiting on our new FE, I have always taken every new bike we bought completely apart and greased everything. This will be our first new KTM and I am wondering just how "race ready" they are?
Tim507
3/9/2018 5:54am
jwoltz wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
How far are you planning to go with the lube job lol? I am waiting on our new FE, I have always taken every new bike...
How far are you planning to go with the lube job lol? I am waiting on our new FE, I have always taken every new bike we bought completely apart and greased everything. This will be our first new KTM and I am wondering just how "race ready" they are?
Steering head bearings, swing arm pivot and linkage. I've take then wheel bearings out in the past, popped out the seal and re-packed them on some bikes. On my KTM's I have not done this in a while.

I'll set the sag and look over the whole bike. Check tire pressures.....when I rolled the bike to my van the tires felt like they had some extra pressure in them.

I will leave the suspension at stock setting, ride the bike for 5 6 hours then start fiddling with setup.
Digger29
3/9/2018 6:47am
Tim507 wrote:
sgrimmxdad wrote:
How far are you planning to go with the lube job lol? I am waiting on our new FE, I have always taken every new bike...
Tim507 wrote:
Steering head bearings, swing arm pivot and linkage. I've take then wheel bearings out in the past, popped out the seal and re-packed them on some...
Steering head bearings, swing arm pivot and linkage. I've take then wheel bearings out in the past, popped out the seal and re-packed them on some bikes. On my KTM's I have not done this in a while.

I'll set the sag and look over the whole bike. Check tire pressures.....when I rolled the bike to my van the tires felt like they had some extra pressure in them.

I will leave the suspension at stock setting, ride the bike for 5 6 hours then start fiddling with setup.
I spent 8hrs working on mine on Wed and I was happy to see that everything was greased but I re-greased everything anyways. At one point after about 7hrs my wife came out in the garage and asked me what I had done because it looked like I'd spent 7 mins working on it and not 7hrs and I was like OUCH.... :-)

jwoltz
3/9/2018 9:51am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Tim507 wrote:
Steering head bearings, swing arm pivot and linkage. I've take then wheel bearings out in the past, popped out the seal and re-packed them on some...

Digger29 wrote:
I spent 8hrs working on mine on Wed and I was happy to see that everything was greased but I re-greased everything anyways. At one point...
I spent 8hrs working on mine on Wed and I was happy to see that everything was greased but I re-greased everything anyways. At one point after about 7hrs my wife came out in the garage and asked me what I had done because it looked like I'd spent 7 mins working on it and not 7hrs and I was like OUCH.... :-)

Been checking back on the regular for the pictures of your bike.......so....more please!
Iwannaride
3/11/2018 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 6:51am
Enough parking lot pimpin. On the fence about getting rid of my 17 and need a ride report. Lol.
I rode my '13 at Budds Creek Saturday; She's always been reliable we usually get along well. I'm not a big fan of the recent track changes, but Hey "it is what it is" but didn't feel comfortable. I left her behind and brought the '18 FE out Sunday (different track). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Very Light and compact allowing me to make mid-air corrections with ease. MAP1 is very mild but is still responsive with turn of throttle; allowing me to turn and jump in 3rd when I normally have to do it in 2nd. Broke her in using stock settings. The '18 FE inspires confidence and had me turning better than usual. Traction control was new to me and i'll play with MAP2 + TC next time. Nothing but great things to say THEN THIS!!!

cody41
3/11/2018 4:33pm
Enough parking lot pimpin. On the fence about getting rid of my 17 and need a ride report. Lol.
Iwannaride wrote:
I rode my '13 at Budds Creek Saturday; She's always been reliable we usually get along well. I'm not a big fan of the recent track...
I rode my '13 at Budds Creek Saturday; She's always been reliable we usually get along well. I'm not a big fan of the recent track changes, but Hey "it is what it is" but didn't feel comfortable. I left her behind and brought the '18 FE out Sunday (different track). WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! Very Light and compact allowing me to make mid-air corrections with ease. MAP1 is very mild but is still responsive with turn of throttle; allowing me to turn and jump in 3rd when I normally have to do it in 2nd. Broke her in using stock settings. The '18 FE inspires confidence and had me turning better than usual. Traction control was new to me and i'll play with MAP2 + TC next time. Nothing but great things to say THEN THIS!!!

Is the hole shot engaged ?
mx317
3/11/2018 4:36pm
That's two now. Glad I'm waiting for the 19 so maybe it will be fixed. They must have got a bad batch of seals, but I will probably keep my cone valve forks from my 17 and install them.
mx317
3/11/2018 4:38pm
cody41 wrote:
No the air seal failed. The button on the hs device is above where it would engage.
Iwannaride
3/11/2018 4:46pm
Iwannaride wrote:
I rode my '13 at Budds Creek Saturday; She's always been reliable we usually get along well. I'm not a big fan of the recent track...

cody41 wrote:
I wish it was engaged, but no it isn't.
MX915
3/11/2018 5:02pm
Sucks man. Take it back to the dealer. Factory needs to know if there are issues and warranty repairs will certainly make them aware.
mx317
3/11/2018 5:37pm
It's strange because I haven't heard of any failures like this after that first year. There were several when they first came out, but they changed some things and it was very dependable. Whatever it is they will fix it.
xr70
3/11/2018 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 3/11/2018 5:46pm
Iwannaride wrote:

They should call that Ktm The Ultimate Holeshot Machine instead of that new Honda! Race ready with automatic holesshot device .
Iwannaride
3/12/2018 6:56am
MX915 wrote:
Sucks man. Take it back to the dealer. Factory needs to know if there are issues and warranty repairs will certainly make them aware.
I spoke to the dealer Sunday. He will file claim with KTM. Just a Pain In The Ass 'cause I'll have to pull the forks and make a trip to the dealer when parts arrive.
Motofinne
3/12/2018 7:17am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 7:26am
I'm amazed that this is still happening, and it seems to be even worse than the 17 and regular 18 bikes?

I've had my CV forks on service for a few weeks(getting new coatings) and rode with the AER forks without problems.

Have they made any changes to the AER 48 fork that is on the 2018 FE/RE bikes? It's a joke that they haven't solved the issues with the AER48 fork, this is almost a 4 year old fork. It was okay to have a few issues on the first version of it. Not anymore.

Thankfully KTM will take care of your issues.
MX915
3/12/2018 7:38am
Iwannaride wrote:
I spoke to the dealer Sunday. He will file claim with KTM. Just a Pain In The Ass 'cause I'll have to pull the forks and...
I spoke to the dealer Sunday. He will file claim with KTM. Just a Pain In The Ass 'cause I'll have to pull the forks and make a trip to the dealer when parts arrive.
You could always see if the dealer could pull one of the forks off another bike. I think that's what happened for the other guy on here that had the same issue.

I had a problem with the front brake on my new 450 back in 03. KTM told the dealer to take the entire assembly off one of the bikes on the floor. It does happen. I guess it depends on how nice you ask. Wink
Lynch
3/12/2018 7:52am
Motofinne wrote:
I'm amazed that this is still happening, and it seems to be even worse than the 17 and regular 18 bikes? I've had my CV forks...
I'm amazed that this is still happening, and it seems to be even worse than the 17 and regular 18 bikes?

I've had my CV forks on service for a few weeks(getting new coatings) and rode with the AER forks without problems.

Have they made any changes to the AER 48 fork that is on the 2018 FE/RE bikes? It's a joke that they haven't solved the issues with the AER48 fork, this is almost a 4 year old fork. It was okay to have a few issues on the first version of it. Not anymore.

Also wondering what they changed? I used the AER48 2017 fork for almost 90 hours and did not have a single issue.
Iwannaride
3/12/2018 7:53am
Iwannaride wrote:
I spoke to the dealer Sunday. He will file claim with KTM. Just a Pain In The Ass 'cause I'll have to pull the forks and...
MX915 wrote:
You could always see if the dealer could pull one of the forks off another bike. I think that's what happened for the other guy on...
You could always see if the dealer could pull one of the forks off another bike. I think that's what happened for the other guy on here that had the same issue.

I had a problem with the front brake on my new 450 back in 03. KTM told the dealer to take the entire assembly off one of the bikes on the floor. It does happen. I guess it depends on how nice you ask. Wink
Thx for the advise. My dealer has been VERY COOL and very helpful in educating me with setup etc. The only PAIN is the time to drive to and back; it's not around the corner. If I want to race the FE this weekend at LLQ then I have to make a LONG trip to dealer OR I could race the '13 and try to drop FE forks on the way to LLQ?? OR I could sship forks to dealer, put '13 forks on FE, pick up FE forks en route to LLQ?? It's a logistics nightmare!!
Motofinne
3/12/2018 7:58am
Motofinne wrote:
I'm amazed that this is still happening, and it seems to be even worse than the 17 and regular 18 bikes? I've had my CV forks...

Lynch wrote:
Also wondering what they changed? I used the AER48 2017 fork for almost 90 hours and did not have a single issue.
Yeah i had issues(the X seal) on my 2016 when the AER was new. Then i got the updated X seal and rode about 50 hours with it without issues.

I have only 10 hours(no problems) on my 2017 AER fork since i ride with CV forks.
cody41
3/12/2018 10:24am
Ktm will fix the faulty part, but they’re not going to fix your life after you crash your brains out because of it.
kawiX522
3/12/2018 12:56pm
beautiful bikes. Im DYING to pick one up after riding a friends 2017 back in october. just too much money for me at the moment, as im only 17. If anyone wants a low hour 2015 kx250f, let me know!
3/14/2018 8:20am
Damn. She sure looks a helluva lot slimmer through the shroud/radiator area. Is it as noticable when seated in the cockpit or actually riding?

Garrett314
3/17/2018 6:12pm
Finally made it back to Atlanta to pick up my bike. Cranked perfectly at the dealership leaving today. Made the 6 hour drive home and the battery wasn’t strong enough to crank the bike. Will any trickle charger made for motorcycles work? Did I do something wrong for the battery to die? First time ktm owner
cody41
3/18/2018 5:36am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2018 5:57am
Garrett314 wrote:
Finally made it back to Atlanta to pick up my bike. Cranked perfectly at the dealership leaving today. Made the 6 hour drive home and the...
Finally made it back to Atlanta to pick up my bike. Cranked perfectly at the dealership leaving today. Made the 6 hour drive home and the battery wasn’t strong enough to crank the bike. Will any trickle charger made for motorcycles work? Did I do something wrong for the battery to die? First time ktm owner
I had a 2016 and the exact same thing happened to me. Fired up fine at the dealership, and when I got home it wouldn’t start. I used the 3 seconds on and 15 seconds off starting method. Ended up draining the battery. Fully charged it 3 times, did the same starting method, and it still didn’t start. Then one day it randomly started. I swear people are brain washed by ktm. Those bikes are piles of over priced junk. I will never own another. The only people who say they’re good are the ones who are extremely brand loyal, and those who brainwashed themselves that it’s good because they spent so much to buy one. People buy them because of the hype, over hype themselves, and end up realizing it’s junk and move on.
ob
3/18/2018 7:27am
Lol

Post a reply to: 2018.5 KTM Factory Edition...ETA?

The Latest