2017 crf450 assembly issues?

gsxr6
Rear wheel on mine was almost a full mark crooked. Every rear spoke was loose. I mean really loose. Whoever torqued the axle put it about double too tight. The half waffles are facing straight down, is that the way they go and I'm just a vitard? Sheesh. Caught the spokes before the first ride, but this weekend was ride number two and I was adjusting the chain. Boy it handles better with a straight rear wheel. Also dropped the forks flush with the clamps, took 4 clicks out of the compression on forks and low speed on the shock, and a half turn out on the shocks high speed. With the map set to aggressive, I'm in love lol. Coming off a 14yzf,
|
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
2/1/2017 7:54pm
Don't let Peely catch you with loose sprocket bolts . Shit will get real then . Dry
kiwifan
2/1/2017 8:02pm
Gee the shop didn't check the spokes etc when handing it over to you??? nasty....
2/1/2017 8:08pm
Yea, really hope you've brought this to the attention of the people who took your money. I cringe every time I see a post like this about a brand new bike that I know you paid A LOT of money for.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:13pm
I'm an auto tech, I've come to expect poor work from dirt bike shops. I won't bother to complain. They never worked on the last bike I bought from them once, and I owned it for nine years. They won't be working on this one anyways. The big sticker that's says absolutely no warranty tells me what I need to know. I'll be going over everything else before I ride it again that's for sure.

The Shop

kiwifan
2/1/2017 8:18pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I'm an auto tech, I've come to expect poor work from dirt bike shops. I won't bother to complain. They never worked on the last bike...
I'm an auto tech, I've come to expect poor work from dirt bike shops. I won't bother to complain. They never worked on the last bike I bought from them once, and I owned it for nine years. They won't be working on this one anyways. The big sticker that's says absolutely no warranty tells me what I need to know. I'll be going over everything else before I ride it again that's for sure.
Yep, did ya take the linkage part to put decent grease in before u rode it? You dont have to do it straight away of course, but I normally do while its still sparkly clean.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 8:30pm
Whoever put it together probably makes min wage on commission, with experience measured in weeks or days. Oh well. Salesman told me that all the money's in the sxs sales. I imagine those come pre assembled lol.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 8:30pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I'm an auto tech, I've come to expect poor work from dirt bike shops. I won't bother to complain. They never worked on the last bike...
kiwifan wrote:
Yep, did ya take the linkage part to put decent grease in before u rode it? You dont have to do it straight away of course...
Yep, did ya take the linkage part to put decent grease in before u rode it? You dont have to do it straight away of course, but I normally do while its still sparkly clean.
I usually ride a couple rides before greasing them down. On a side note my 14 yzf hasn't ever had the spokes touched. 50 hours and still tight. Nothing was wonky on its assembly. I now like the crf better than the yzf with some adjustments made. It is super stable, and on aggressive it has more low mid than the yzf with close enough top. It feels twenty pounds lighter in the corners, and is the most hooked up bike I've ever rode. Amazing rear wheel traction, and can get to the inside line from anywhere I choose at any moment I choose. Woohoo. It was kicking me in the ass off even little jumps, adjusting the shocks high speed out was the last thing I did, and it really helped. Thing is on rails now. When I do the linkage I'll have my pops ad a grease zerk so I can pump some into the rocker every so often .
JWACK
2/1/2017 8:26pm
On delivery the dealer should only have to put the front wheel and handlebars and levers on, that's about it. Do you check lug nut torque on a new car delivery? Or 4 wheel alignment on a new car on delivery?
This issue if there is one, is from the Honda factory. Not a dealer issue.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:35pm
JWACK wrote:
On delivery the dealer should only have to put the front wheel and handlebars and levers on, that's about it. Do you check lug nut torque...
On delivery the dealer should only have to put the front wheel and handlebars and levers on, that's about it. Do you check lug nut torque on a new car delivery? Or 4 wheel alignment on a new car on delivery?
The dealer has a checklist in which all of these things are to be checked. Filling the oil is part of it as well. Went to go check just to see, yea it's overfull. Haha it's whatever man they could of let me have the bike in a basket I'd have probably said yes. But no, the dealer isn't supposed to send them out with crooked wheels and loose spokes. We all know they do though. Anyone else got any stories about a brand new bike with issues?
kiwifan
2/1/2017 8:36pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I usually ride a couple rides before greasing them down. On a side note my 14 yzf hasn't ever had the spokes touched. 50 hours and...
I usually ride a couple rides before greasing them down. On a side note my 14 yzf hasn't ever had the spokes touched. 50 hours and still tight. Nothing was wonky on its assembly. I now like the crf better than the yzf with some adjustments made. It is super stable, and on aggressive it has more low mid than the yzf with close enough top. It feels twenty pounds lighter in the corners, and is the most hooked up bike I've ever rode. Amazing rear wheel traction, and can get to the inside line from anywhere I choose at any moment I choose. Woohoo. It was kicking me in the ass off even little jumps, adjusting the shocks high speed out was the last thing I did, and it really helped. Thing is on rails now. When I do the linkage I'll have my pops ad a grease zerk so I can pump some into the rocker every so often .
Nice ! Well I have to say I did tell you it was a goody, glad you found that out for yourself Smile

I hear it really wakes up even more with some good mapping.
kiwifan
2/1/2017 8:38pm
JWACK wrote:
On delivery the dealer should only have to put the front wheel and handlebars and levers on, that's about it. Do you check lug nut torque...
gsxr6 wrote:
The dealer has a checklist in which all of these things are to be checked. Filling the oil is part of it as well. Went to...
The dealer has a checklist in which all of these things are to be checked. Filling the oil is part of it as well. Went to go check just to see, yea it's overfull. Haha it's whatever man they could of let me have the bike in a basket I'd have probably said yes. But no, the dealer isn't supposed to send them out with crooked wheels and loose spokes. We all know they do though. Anyone else got any stories about a brand new bike with issues?
I think on average 50% of the bikes I have brought new had stuff that the dealer didnt check properly or did wrong...some do it well some are lax.
JWACK
2/1/2017 8:40pm
My new ktm broke the foot peg springs in the first hour of ride time because they were installed wrong at the dealer.. This happend race day. It was interesting racing without springs holding your pegs down.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:40pm
JWACK wrote:
gsxr6 wrote:
The dealer has a checklist in which all of these things are to be checked. Filling the oil is part of it as well. Went to...
On a side note I've seen many a brand new car that needed alignment ( they don't do it at the factory, the assembly jigs are "close enough") and yes they check the torque of the wheels as part of a cars pre delivery checklist. Wheels would be coming off quite often if they didn't I'm sure.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:41pm
JWACK wrote:
My new ktm broke the foot peg springs in the first hour of ride time because they were installed wrong at the dealer.. This happend race...
My new ktm broke the foot peg springs in the first hour of ride time because they were installed wrong at the dealer.. This happend race day. It was interesting racing without springs holding your pegs down.
Saw a mxa article about that.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:45pm
gsxr6 wrote:
I usually ride a couple rides before greasing them down. On a side note my 14 yzf hasn't ever had the spokes touched. 50 hours and...
kiwifan wrote:
Nice ! Well I have to say I did tell you it was a goody, glad you found that out for yourself :) I hear it...
Nice ! Well I have to say I did tell you it was a goody, glad you found that out for yourself Smile

I hear it really wakes up even more with some good mapping.
The Yoshi slip ons and the mapping tool are def on my list. The silencers are so tucked! And the Yoshi are even shorter? Wow. Ur killing me on the mapping thing tho sound like I need the tool. The yzf one is awesome.
gsxr6
2/1/2017 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 9:28pm
Edit. Wrong thread
scooter5002
2/1/2017 9:12pm
That sucks. Bottom line is, part of what they charge you is for a PDI. Pre Delivery Inspection. On fucking principle alone, I'd be back at the dealer, bitching about it. "Since clearly the bike was NOT inspected, you will be required to do something financially, to compensate me for your shortcomings." I've dealt with shitty workmanship too, and it is infuriating.
bigcat
2/1/2017 9:44pm
So did you not inspected the bike yourself when you picked up at the dealer?

gsxr6
2/1/2017 9:48pm
bigcat wrote:
So did you not inspected the bike yourself when you picked up at the dealer?

Nope I loaded that sucker up got out of there before the accountant changed her mind lol. Duh
2/1/2017 10:35pm
I didn't have any of the issues you've had with your crf but when I got my 16 crf I was pretty surprised to find that there was barely any grease anywhere on it.
Bruce372
2/2/2017 12:10am
I've bought maybe 5 new bikes in my time and not once has the front wheel been on correctly. Quite ironic since two times I had to wait 2 hours for their top techs to go over the bike. I got home, started the bike and the fork lug bolts started unscrewing they were so loose.

This is the latest one...

shmoo
Fantasy
226th
2/2/2017 12:37am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2017 12:43am
Bruce372 wrote:
I've bought maybe 5 new bikes in my time and not once has the front wheel been on correctly. Quite ironic since two times I had...
I've bought maybe 5 new bikes in my time and not once has the front wheel been on correctly. Quite ironic since two times I had to wait 2 hours for their top techs to go over the bike. I got home, started the bike and the fork lug bolts started unscrewing they were so loose.

They had a 50/50 chance with the fork decal as well.
Or was that you?
2/2/2017 12:39am
JWACK wrote:
Agreed.
I worked ten years at a YAMAHA/kawasaki/suzuki franchise.
Built hundreds of new bikes from crates.
Bars, front wheel, front fender, maybe a footpeg.
Rear wheel is in, aligned and tight. No need to check spokes provided the OEM has done their job properly. Don't blame the dealer.
2/2/2017 2:52am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2017 2:58am
I always pull my bikes apart before riding them, new or used i don't care. I need to inspect shit to feel safe.
I also don't thrust any dealer with servicing.

Latest gem was my friends roadbike, had new tires installed and the bike steered a little bit funny. Upon inspection the front wheel was totally misaligned. As in, the tubes where bend inwards from just torqueing shit down randomly. Big ass dealership with a huge floor with expensive bikes, and that's how they do a tire change...
mx317
2/2/2017 3:41am
gsxr6 wrote:
I'm sure many have horror stories about auto techs also.
mxracer816
Fantasy
2864th
2/2/2017 5:13am
JWACK wrote:
My new ktm broke the foot peg springs in the first hour of ride time because they were installed wrong at the dealer.. This happend race...
I've broken the peg springs on pit bikes before! Talk about sketchy, drag the peg in the corner before a rhythm section and fight through the first double gripping with your thighs, searching for the peg to push it back down. Definitely wouldn't want to try it on a big bike! Sorry for the off topic post guys!
Bruce372
2/2/2017 5:27am
Bruce372 wrote:
I've bought maybe 5 new bikes in my time and not once has the front wheel been on correctly. Quite ironic since two times I had...

shmoo wrote:
They had a 50/50 chance with the fork decal as well.
Or was that you?
Nope, fork decals are dealer installed
JayBraap19
2/2/2017 5:31am
gsxr6 wrote:
Whoever put it together probably makes min wage on commission, with experience measured in weeks or days. Oh well. Salesman told me that all the money's...
Whoever put it together probably makes min wage on commission, with experience measured in weeks or days. Oh well. Salesman told me that all the money's in the sxs sales. I imagine those come pre assembled lol.
Unfortunately this is true. I worked at a RideNow Powersports as a salesman for a while. Most shops have turned to relying on SxS sales, as the gross margins for those are much higher along with used sales. I recall some of the salesmen getting bored and letting all the air out of the forks on our CRF's on the showroom. Then when I pointed it out to managment, it took the service dept. over 3 weeks to fix the issue, and they literally took one fork off and flipped it backwards after re installing it. About 1/4 of the bikes on our showroom had some sort of loose bolts, backwards part, or were straight up missing something. 99% of the time I was the only person to catch this stuff.
JWACK
2/2/2017 5:32am
JWACK wrote:
mxracer816 wrote:
I've broken the peg springs on pit bikes before! Talk about sketchy, drag the peg in the corner before a rhythm section and fight through the...
I've broken the peg springs on pit bikes before! Talk about sketchy, drag the peg in the corner before a rhythm section and fight through the first double gripping with your thighs, searching for the peg to push it back down. Definitely wouldn't want to try it on a big bike! Sorry for the off topic post guys!
Yeah.. I know it was a dealer install issue but I lost a lot of faith in my ktm that day.
JWACK
2/2/2017 5:33am
This thread will probably get deleted.

Post a reply to: 2017 crf450 assembly issues?

The Latest