2017 SX results with new point system

Ronix137
10/24/2017 9:15am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 9:34pm
This is what the championship would have looked like if they used the new points system last year. Just an observation. Might try to do some other seasons later.

|
Acidreamer
10/24/2017 9:22am
Looks like its going to favor the winner instead of the consistent guy. I still feel like tomac dominated wins last season - definitely the best rider. Just not consistent and thats why dungey won. Never have been a fan of watching the consistent 2nd place guy win the whole thing. Just my opinion. Not taking away from dungey
RangerLee
10/24/2017 9:41am
Consistency should be rewarded, and it is not like he was a 4th/5th place guy that won, he on the box. Most seasons are not this close, look at SX history and only a few seasons were close, most are blow outs by one person, who is winning, consistently. Guarantee you will call that boring racing.

With the new points wins are not rewarded any more than before, still 3 points more than second, it is just now lower finishes provided more points, so when you do have a bad night it does not ruin your season. Still a bad night for Dungey was usually a 4th place, I would love to be that "slow".
mx_phreek
Fantasy
242nd
10/24/2017 9:55am
Lame, so after all that and saying the points structure would help guys who had some bad races to keep them in it Eli only gained 5 points over the year. And he had plenty bad races too. Waste of time, if they're gonna change it at least make it worth while and give a reward for winning.

The Shop

KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
10/24/2017 10:39am
mx_phreek wrote:
Lame, so after all that and saying the points structure would help guys who had some bad races to keep them in it Eli only gained...
Lame, so after all that and saying the points structure would help guys who had some bad races to keep them in it Eli only gained 5 points over the year. And he had plenty bad races too. Waste of time, if they're gonna change it at least make it worth while and give a reward for winning.
Tomac gained 5 points because he finished outside the top 4 a total of 5 times. Dungey never did finish outside the top 4 so although he scored 17 more points (1 point per race) in the new system, he didn't get the 2 point per race bump that 5th-20th place finishes received per round.

They all ended up with more points because there was 1 more point per round available for 1st-4th, and 2 points per round for 5th-20th.

I would be interested in seeing the points change in the close series results. Seasons where the pints gap was single digits and there were some odd finishes by the champion or second place guy.

2011- Would Reed or Dungey have beaten Villopoto?
2009- Would Reed have beaten Stewart?
2006- Would Stewart or Reed have beaten Carmichael?
2003- Would Reed have beat Carmichael under this structure?
1992- Would Bradshaw have beat Stanton?
1990-Would Bayle have beat Stanton?
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
10/24/2017 10:56am
26 points for a win reminds me of this:

GD2
Fantasy
854th
10/24/2017 10:58am
Interesting.
tprice07
10/24/2017 11:05am
Ronix137 wrote:
This is what the championship would have looked like if they used the new points system last year. Just an observation. Might try to do some...
This is what the championship would have looked like if they used the new points system last year. Just an observation. Might try to do some other seasons later.

Tomac would have won by more...he would have checked out in that last race instead of hanging back...
10/24/2017 11:18am
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I'm hoping that this change will maybe increase battles for the lead? In theory obviously it sounds like it could as there is more incentive to go for the win instead of settling for second or whatever. But at the same time the objective is always to win so I'll probably be wrong.
Mit12
10/24/2017 11:37am
After the king of consistency (Dungey) retired they decided to help riders that can not find consistency??
Johnny Depp
10/24/2017 11:45am
Ronix137 wrote:
This is what the championship would have looked like if they used the new points system last year. Just an observation. Might try to do some...

tprice07 wrote:
Tomac would have won by more...he would have checked out in that last race instead of hanging back...
Nice work on the math. Monday morning quarterbacking though, if Dungey had known it was a different point system he would likely have used a different strategery Shocked

You know what they say about if your aunt had nuts?

I would still prefer a Olympic system and even 1 or 2 throw away races to keep more riders in it until the last race, then let the stuff hit the fan.

It's done, and although it is a tiny change, it will likely affect nothing since most points battles are a blow out.
DPR250R
10/24/2017 11:50am
Cool effort but we dont know what effect the 3 triple crown style races would have.

deluxeman
10/24/2017 12:25pm
This thread is worthless. 2017 is over. Dungey won Tomac didn’t. What does this prove? Nothing, it doesn’t factor in the Triple Crown races, which would certainly favor consistency.

Dungey struggled to get motivated all season, it showed at many races and still beat Eli. That has to tell you where Eli really stands in the big scheme of SX.

I like the new format and points system overall. But looking backwards to see who would have won if we use the new points system is garbage. Lets go back to every SX season and refigure every championship and rewrite SX history.
Ronix137
10/24/2017 12:30pm
DPR250R wrote:
Cool effort but we dont know what effect the 3 triple crown style races would have.

Yea I agree, there's no way to factor that in.
Spat24
Fantasy
1140th
10/24/2017 12:36pm
deluxeman wrote:
This thread is worthless. 2017 is over. Dungey won Tomac didn’t. What does this prove? Nothing, it doesn’t factor in the Triple Crown races, which would...
This thread is worthless. 2017 is over. Dungey won Tomac didn’t. What does this prove? Nothing, it doesn’t factor in the Triple Crown races, which would certainly favor consistency.

Dungey struggled to get motivated all season, it showed at many races and still beat Eli. That has to tell you where Eli really stands in the big scheme of SX.

I like the new format and points system overall. But looking backwards to see who would have won if we use the new points system is garbage. Lets go back to every SX season and refigure every championship and rewrite SX history.

Well said.
marx41
Fantasy
924th
10/24/2017 12:40pm
deluxeman wrote:
This thread is worthless. 2017 is over. Dungey won Tomac didn’t. What does this prove? Nothing, it doesn’t factor in the Triple Crown races, which would...

I think you’re taking it a little too seriously. It’s just for fun. It’s pretty natural to think “what if this change happened sooner, how would it have affected things?” Not just with supercross, but life in general. Arguing that Eli should’ve won last year is silly, because rules are rules and he didn’t, end of story. This is just bench racing and observations, that’s all.
Acidreamer
10/24/2017 12:45pm
deluxeman wrote:

Relax it was just to illustrate the difference in how the season plays out.
10/24/2017 12:48pm
deluxeman wrote:

Who shit in your corn flakes this morning? I thought it was an interesting little stat considering for this sports entirety it's had the same points structure. This thread proves that this new points structure could have a drastic effect on the championship. I just don't understand why you're all worked up over this?
Ronix137
10/24/2017 12:58pm
Tomac gained 5 points because he finished outside the top 4 a total of 5 times. Dungey never did finish outside the top 4 so although...
Tomac gained 5 points because he finished outside the top 4 a total of 5 times. Dungey never did finish outside the top 4 so although he scored 17 more points (1 point per race) in the new system, he didn't get the 2 point per race bump that 5th-20th place finishes received per round.

They all ended up with more points because there was 1 more point per round available for 1st-4th, and 2 points per round for 5th-20th.

I would be interested in seeing the points change in the close series results. Seasons where the pints gap was single digits and there were some odd finishes by the champion or second place guy.

2011- Would Reed or Dungey have beaten Villopoto?
2009- Would Reed have beaten Stewart?
2006- Would Stewart or Reed have beaten Carmichael?
2003- Would Reed have beat Carmichael under this structure?
1992- Would Bradshaw have beat Stanton?
1990-Would Bayle have beat Stanton?
Thanks for the list of close seasons.

Here's 2011:

Acidreamer
10/24/2017 1:22pm
Almost forgot how stacked it was in 11.
tprice07
10/24/2017 1:26pm
Nice work on the math. Monday morning quarterbacking though, if Dungey had known it was a different point system he would likely have used a different...
Nice work on the math. Monday morning quarterbacking though, if Dungey had known it was a different point system he would likely have used a different strategery Shocked

You know what they say about if your aunt had nuts?

I would still prefer a Olympic system and even 1 or 2 throw away races to keep more riders in it until the last race, then let the stuff hit the fan.

It's done, and although it is a tiny change, it will likely affect nothing since most points battles are a blow out.
I like the idea of olympic system and throw away races...I was a big fan of throw away races.. but that'll never happen.
deluxeman
10/24/2017 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 4:02pm
deluxeman wrote:

Who shit in your corn flakes this morning? I thought it was an interesting little stat considering for this sports entirety it's had the same points...
Who shit in your corn flakes this morning? I thought it was an interesting little stat considering for this sports entirety it's had the same points structure. This thread proves that this new points structure could have a drastic effect on the championship. I just don't understand why you're all worked up over this?
Sorry, it's been a long day..............
deluxeman
10/24/2017 4:01pm
deluxeman wrote:

marx41 wrote:
I think you’re taking it a little too seriously. It’s just for fun. It’s pretty natural to think “what if this change happened sooner, how would...
I think you’re taking it a little too seriously. It’s just for fun. It’s pretty natural to think “what if this change happened sooner, how would it have affected things?” Not just with supercross, but life in general. Arguing that Eli should’ve won last year is silly, because rules are rules and he didn’t, end of story. This is just bench racing and observations, that’s all.
I gotcha, It just isn't in me to "What If" things that have already happened.
It's like arguing over who was better, the '86 Bulls or the '17 Warriors. Fun to discuss but in the end it's just a lot of words thrown around and no conclusion. People are passionate about it for sure. Just listen to sports talk radio for a few hours.

Some people love this type of banter and interaction, nothing wrong with it. It just isn't my thing.

10/24/2017 6:25pm
deluxeman wrote:

Who shit in your corn flakes this morning? I thought it was an interesting little stat considering for this sports entirety it's had the same points...
deluxeman wrote:
Sorry, it's been a long day..............
Hey no problem, happens to all of us. Hope all is well.
TDeath21
10/24/2017 9:34pm
They should have kept the two point gap till you get outta the top five. And of course three from 1st to 2nd. But I agree with making it to where 20-22 don't score identical points.

Post a reply to: 2017 SX results with new point system

The Latest