2017 KTM 50SX issues

BlckRv3n
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2018 1:32pm
My daughter is fairly new to riding a bigger 50. She just came off of the pw50. I originally set the clutches to factory at 9 clicks clockwise. She was burping a lot. She has finally got out of that stage. Change a stator in it along with new plug as well. Re-adjusted the clutches to 11 clicks clockwise.

She rode today, for approx 5-10min. On her next lap she came around the bike bogged down and died. Haven’t had this issue before. I know it was still getting warm but hadn’t started boiling coolant yet... bike wouldn’t start bike up. “Haven’t tried since it’s cooled down”....

Any suggestions/ideas?
|
atrdrvr7
8/7/2018 4:34pm
My son has the same bike. Is it dripping coolant slowly from the radiator? The bike has a plastic water pump impeller. They sometimes crack and slip on the shaft. The bike will run like crap. I chased the carb for a while before I figured out it was the impeller.

When that bike is on point its great. When it's not it's a friggin nightmare.
holeshot100
8/8/2018 7:56am
The best day of my life was when my son got off a 50 and on a 65.
You should see what happens when you race these 50's hard.

The Shop

8/8/2018 9:03am
The best day of my life was when my son got off a 50 and on a 65. You should see what happens when you race...
I’ve been threatening to move my son from a PW50 right to a 65 for this reason. It seems all I hear is horror stories about maintenance
4DAIVIPAI2K5
8/8/2018 11:08am
The best day of my life was when my son got off a 50 and on a 65. You should see what happens when you race...
450 wrote:
I’ve been threatening to move my son from a PW50 right to a 65 for this reason. It seems all I hear is horror stories about...
I’ve been threatening to move my son from a PW50 right to a 65 for this reason. It seems all I hear is horror stories about maintenance
I have been very happy with our Cobra's
holeshot100
8/8/2018 11:56am
450 wrote:
I’ve been threatening to move my son from a PW50 right to a 65 for this reason. It seems all I hear is horror stories about...
The 65 is way too much bike. The KTM or Cobra is a step you have to make.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
658th
8/8/2018 12:16pm
450 wrote:
65 dosnt HAVE to be too much. I skipped my son from a crf50 to a wicked fast 65sx so I could skip the 2t 50 step. I just put a washer in the exhaust like they do on pw50s. It worked perfectly, tamed that mean mother right down to about the same level as his crf50. That got him used to the clutch and new shifting pattern, then I gradually opened the hole in the washer up as his skills progressed. Height was another issue we dealt with. I adjusted his rear shock way down so he could touch easily, then once he got used to the bike/clutch etc I explained how making it taller would make it handle better on the jumps. Cut his teeth on the peewee track and now hes moved on from the pee wee track to the big boy track and is getting fast as hell haha. He can double every jump on the track. I intend to take the same route with my other son when hes ready. Training wheels is another topic too. I started both boys with them but felt they actually caused more problems than they helped. Have now started my daughter straight from a bicycle to a 2 wheeled pw50 and she is doing great.
STLSharky
8/8/2018 1:28pm
How bout Cobras Mr Albertson?
mikec265
8/8/2018 2:08pm
450 wrote:
Hoseclamp wrote:
65 dosnt HAVE to be too much. I skipped my son from a crf50 to a wicked fast 65sx so I could skip the 2t 50...
65 dosnt HAVE to be too much. I skipped my son from a crf50 to a wicked fast 65sx so I could skip the 2t 50 step. I just put a washer in the exhaust like they do on pw50s. It worked perfectly, tamed that mean mother right down to about the same level as his crf50. That got him used to the clutch and new shifting pattern, then I gradually opened the hole in the washer up as his skills progressed. Height was another issue we dealt with. I adjusted his rear shock way down so he could touch easily, then once he got used to the bike/clutch etc I explained how making it taller would make it handle better on the jumps. Cut his teeth on the peewee track and now hes moved on from the pee wee track to the big boy track and is getting fast as hell haha. He can double every jump on the track. I intend to take the same route with my other son when hes ready. Training wheels is another topic too. I started both boys with them but felt they actually caused more problems than they helped. Have now started my daughter straight from a bicycle to a 2 wheeled pw50 and she is doing great.
First time I ever heard of putting a washer in a 65... Thanks for the idea. I have a couple buddies that are ready to move up when their legs are about 2 inches longer. Currently on a pw and Honda 50.
Mike68
8/8/2018 7:33pm
My son had 2016 KTM 50 SX and I had to clean the spark plug every moto else it would bog out after 5-10 minutes. Tried hotter plug, lower oil ratio, etc but the only thing that worked was changing/cleaning the plug every moto.
bf884
8/8/2018 7:46pm
Sounds like you roached another stator. Until she rides the bike harder skip the oem stator and buy the chinese eBay ones. If you haven’t already, engine ice and two2cool for the trans. They get crazy hot if not ridden fast enough to move the air over the motor.
richter28
Fantasy
164th
8/8/2018 9:14pm
Something simple and over looked sometimes, check the carb vent hoses routinely and clip them as they are notorious for getting mud jammed in them, causing them to start and stop. Also I've seen them get wedged weird and pinched, also not allowing it to breathe.

Post a reply to: 2017 KTM 50SX issues

The Latest