2017 KTM 150 info needed

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2017 6:15 AM

I have local boy wanting my 15 Husky 125 that I play around on. And theres a nice 17 KTM 150 I can pick up at a good price.

How does the powerband of the 150 compare to a 125. Obviously I know it has more power.
But I was wondering if it's wider, narrower or more abrupt? And any other thoughts about this bike.
I'll send the suspension off to FC, so I'm not worried about that.

Thanks in advance

|

10/14/2017 6:41 AM

More midrange, hits harder in the middle, carries into the overrev. Little easier to ride (emphasis compared to a 125, not a 250F), and new motors lighter and a little smoother. Some actually prefer the 125, since they seem a little more traditional for a small two stroke (no bottom end, rev the piss constantly out of them).

You'll have to adapt to the AER air fork. It's a good fork, don't let people tell you otherwise. But, does require that extra 2-3 minutes to check pressures and set them.

|

10/14/2017 6:45 AM

I can't speak to the 150 engine. I have a 16 125 and it's got plenty of power. I've heard people say the 125 revs out fast than the 150. The 17 chassis is amazing, turns much better than the 15.

If you can get a good deal, might be worth the upgrade.

|

10/14/2017 6:55 AM

I just recently bought one and did a lot of reading about the two. The 150 is supposed to be more peaky compared to a 125 with it jumping something like 5 horsepower to its max 41 horsepower and then signing off all within 500 rpms. I'm typing this all off the top of my head but you can look it up and see the exact data.

I rode my 150 for the first time last weekend and it seemed peaky but still very fun. Unfortunately the exhaust flange broke some how on the second lap and KTM will only sell that piece with a complete new cylinder and piston kit. sick

|

10/14/2017 7:21 AM

Make sure you set the float level before you ride the bike. For some reason Mikuni has the float level at way to high a level. JD getting kit also suggested.

|

10/14/2017 7:25 AM

Would you guys say it's easier or more difficult to ride than a 125?
I have a KXF 450 as my main bike.

|

10/14/2017 8:26 AM

731chopper wrote:

I just recently bought one and did a lot of reading about the two. The 150 is supposed to be more peaky compared to a 125 with it jumping something like 5 horsepower to its max 41 horsepower and then signing off all within 500 rpms. I'm typing this all off the top of my head but you can look it up and see the exact data.

I rode my 150 for the first time last weekend and it seemed peaky but still very fun. Unfortunately the exhaust flange broke some how on the second lap and KTM will only sell that piece with a complete new cylinder and piston kit. sick

Send me a pm with the exact part you need and I will check with my dealer, he has helped me with the same situation as you are in a number of times.

|

10/14/2017 8:28 AM

Harder. You have to work to make a 125 go fast. Especially if you ride in a lot of soft conditions. With that said, you can believe how much easier it is to skip over bumps, and it teaches you how to corner by using momentum and correct line choice, not much bombing through and go point and shoot like so many 450 riders do.

Also depends on what your objective and weight is. The 150 actually puts out more peak HP than a YZ250F, but you won't find many grabbing hole shots at your local races. If you're just a weekend warrior like myself, lot of fun to ride any 2t, and ultimately spend a little less $ with no oil changes outside 1qt for the bottom end, and no more oil filters.

|

10/14/2017 8:29 AM

I own a 2017 125 and love it. It's real powerful for a 125. In the comparisons and tests I've seen, the verdict seems to be that the 125 is a better race bike and the 150 is a better play bike due to the differences in power delivery. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to ride a 150 to compare for myself.

|

10/14/2017 8:30 AM

alot depends on the track/ terrain. On slippery and flatter tracks the 125 is easier to handle, while a tight arenacross style track suits the 150 better.I also found the 150 allot easier to ride single track type trails because the extra hp lets you lug it around alot more.

|

10/14/2017 8:43 AM

crf250pilot wrote:

alot depends on the track/ terrain. On slippery and flatter tracks the 125 is easier to handle, while a tight arenacross style track suits the 150 better.I also found the 150 allot easier to ride single track type trails because the extra hp lets you lug it around alot more.

Thanks!
That's what I was wanting to know. I'm a 60 year old Vet A/B rider. When I race I ride my 450.

I liked having my Husky 125 to play around on but I was hoping the 150 would pull down low a bit more.
We mainly ride medium/loamy dirt here. I also thought about doing a hare scramble on it. Not really wanting to ride my 450 in the woods. lol

|

10/14/2017 9:16 AM

I just got a TE150 for these very same reasons...

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/14/2017 9:30 AM

731chopper wrote:

I just recently bought one and did a lot of reading about the two. The 150 is supposed to be more peaky compared to a 125 with it jumping something like 5 horsepower to its max 41 horsepower and then signing off all within 500 rpms. I'm typing this all off the top of my head but you can look it up and see the exact data.

I rode my 150 for the first time last weekend and it seemed peaky but still very fun. Unfortunately the exhaust flange broke some how on the second lap and KTM will only sell that piece with a complete new cylinder and piston kit. sick

I've seen someone makes a collar to help prevent this problem. Take a look at it when you get the flange back together.

|

10/15/2017 11:09 AM

I found a nice used 17. Does a pipe make the powerband any better?

|

10/15/2017 12:29 PM

There are several power valve springs to change how late the power valve opens.

|

10/15/2017 12:35 PM

endurox wrote:

There are several power valve springs to change how late the power valve opens.

Like this ^^ Just by tuning the power valve spring it dramatically changes the power delivery, where it hits and how hard on the 125.

|

10/16/2017 6:19 PM

Rode the TE150 on an MX track, today.

Ridiculously FUN!

Needs stiffer fork springs...but...damn...FUN!

Jumped easier/farther than I expected.
Turned like a dream.
E-Start: too cool.
Big Tank...no, I'm not removing it! I'm even keeping the lights! 18" rear wheel, too.
"Hey! You just got passed by a fat-old-dude on a little smoker Enduro! Damn!"

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/17/2017 8:19 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Rode the TE150 on an MX track, today.

Ridiculously FUN!

Needs stiffer fork springs...but...damn...FUN!

Jumped easier/farther than I expected.
Turned like a dream.
E-Start: too cool.
Big Tank...no, I'm not removing it! I'm even keeping the lights! 18" rear wheel, too.
"Hey! You just got passed by a fat-old-dude on a little smoker Enduro! Damn!"

The stock fork valving is a major issue with bottoming, essentially no mid valve dampening in stock form. This kit helps out alot.kits come with a card you plug into computer with video instructtions. I sell this kit if interested. Photo



Photo

|

10/17/2017 4:12 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Rode the TE150 on an MX track, today.

Ridiculously FUN!

Needs stiffer fork springs...but...damn...FUN!

Jumped easier/farther than I expected.
Turned like a dream.
E-Start: too cool.
Big Tank...no, I'm not removing it! I'm even keeping the lights! 18" rear wheel, too.
"Hey! You just got passed by a fat-old-dude on a little smoker Enduro! Damn!"

endurox wrote:

The stock fork valving is a major issue with bottoming, essentially no mid valve dampening in stock form. This kit helps out alot.kits come with a card you plug into computer with video instructtions. I sell this kit if interested. Photo



Photo

This is for the Xplor 48 fork?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

10/17/2017 6:13 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Rode the TE150 on an MX track, today.

Ridiculously FUN!

Needs stiffer fork springs...but...damn...FUN!

Jumped easier/farther than I expected.
Turned like a dream.
E-Start: too cool.
Big Tank...no, I'm not removing it! I'm even keeping the lights! 18" rear wheel, too.
"Hey! You just got passed by a fat-old-dude on a little smoker Enduro! Damn!"

endurox wrote:

The stock fork valving is a major issue with bottoming, essentially no mid valve dampening in stock form. This kit helps out alot.kits come with a card you plug into computer with video instructtions. I sell this kit if interested. Photo



Photo

TeamGreen wrote:

This is for the Xplor 48 fork?

Yes, for the Xplor

|