2017 Husky 250 TC owners......still happy?

jeffro503
12/20/2016 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2017 9:24am
Just wondering how the owners of this bike still feel after spending some time with it? Pluses and minuses? Things that were perfect and things that definitely needed changed?
|
jeffro503
12/20/2016 9:56pm
Yeah , I know there are a few owners of this bike on here. They did quite a few changes on that 17' model , so I'm curious as well.
urbanlift707
12/20/2016 11:38pm
I have a 17 sx250, absolutely love it. Just ticked 12 hours, I'm coming off a 06 rm 250 and a 15 rmz450.

I've mainly been riding the 250 prior to the switch, I was blown away with how comfortable I felt on the Ktm right away. I swear it handles just as good as my rm which is saying a lot, not quite as razer sharp. The ease of initiating the turn and lean angle of it make up for the slight loss is accurate steering.

Motor is hands down better, and the rest, brakes, suspension, clutch, much better.
Alex.434
12/20/2016 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2016 11:53pm
This bike is the damn mutt's nuts and goes like a raped ape. My wife thinks I might leave her for it. Handling and suspension are a jooooooke. Feels light years better than my WP Factory Services setup 2013 250SX.

I've got the Lectron carb on mine. I had to work with Lectron to help get it setup for MX and dial in the 2017 settings, but once we did, it's snazzy.

I've got quite a bit of time on the YZ250 platform and 65 hours on the previous-gen 250SX platform for comparison, along with a fair bit of time on 2013-2016 250Fs and 450F's from all the Japanese OEMs.

Braaaapt!!!

Here be pictures: http://imgur.com/a/5y68T

The Shop

12/21/2016 6:11am
Not a 17 but I have a 16 TC250 I got in July and I put 31 hours on it this summer. I can tell the suspension needs refreshed now but the 4CS really wasn't that bad I thought. I'm still going to get a FC revalve since I have a discount from them. I was going to wait a month for the !7' but I don't feel comfortable on air forks
12/21/2016 6:20am
Not a 17 but I have a 16 TC250 I got in July and I put 31 hours on it this summer. I can tell the...
Not a 17 but I have a 16 TC250 I got in July and I put 31 hours on it this summer. I can tell the suspension needs refreshed now but the 4CS really wasn't that bad I thought. I'm still going to get a FC revalve since I have a discount from them. I was going to wait a month for the !7' but I don't feel comfortable on air forks
I just did the bladder conversion and put in an x trig adjuster on my shock, can't wait to try it out

PPS Moto
12/21/2016 6:37am
I love everything about my 2017 TC 250, besides for the carburetion... Which has been a total headache so far. I actually went with a Lectron which broadened the power spread (in stock trim there are a lot of quick shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear) and cleaned up the carburetion, but requires much more adjustment for temperature change than advertised.

I have never hopped on a bike and felt so comfortable right away. All I've done with the suspension is set the sag after break in and check the fork pressure before every ride. I'm really impressed by the suspension and how well the air forks work was a huge surprise (I actually like them better than the Ohlins RFX I had on my 2015 350).

For where I ride and my size/style (mostly sand tracks, I'm 6'2 180ish lbs) I have never had a bike that handles so well. I've ridden it on hard pack and rutty tracks as well and didn't notice any flaws, . It's really confidence inspiring. Maybe it's my love for two strokes, maybe it's the new chassis, but for me this is a really good bike.

Deetsmx
12/21/2016 7:16am
Alex.434 wrote:
This bike is the damn mutt's nuts and goes like a raped ape. My wife thinks I might leave her for it. Handling and suspension are...
This bike is the damn mutt's nuts and goes like a raped ape. My wife thinks I might leave her for it. Handling and suspension are a jooooooke. Feels light years better than my WP Factory Services setup 2013 250SX.

I've got the Lectron carb on mine. I had to work with Lectron to help get it setup for MX and dial in the 2017 settings, but once we did, it's snazzy.

I've got quite a bit of time on the YZ250 platform and 65 hours on the previous-gen 250SX platform for comparison, along with a fair bit of time on 2013-2016 250Fs and 450F's from all the Japanese OEMs.

Braaaapt!!!

What metering rod are you running in yours? I've had the original one and then the 4-2. I thought I had it dialed with the 4-2 but then it started pinging the next time I rode it. Went a bit richer but then it developed a slight bog.
Joko
Fantasy
239th
12/21/2016 9:37am
Alex.434 wrote:
This bike is the damn mutt's nuts and goes like a raped ape. My wife thinks I might leave her for it. Handling and suspension are...

Braaaapt!!!

Alex,
How does it compare to the YZ250? Is your YZ modified much? Does the YZ do anything better than the Husky? Any laptime differences to compare between the two? Thanks!
jeffro503
12/21/2016 10:48am
PPS Moto wrote:
I love everything about my 2017 TC 250, besides for the carburetion... Which has been a total headache so far. I actually went with a Lectron...
I love everything about my 2017 TC 250, besides for the carburetion... Which has been a total headache so far. I actually went with a Lectron which broadened the power spread (in stock trim there are a lot of quick shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear) and cleaned up the carburetion, but requires much more adjustment for temperature change than advertised.

I have never hopped on a bike and felt so comfortable right away. All I've done with the suspension is set the sag after break in and check the fork pressure before every ride. I'm really impressed by the suspension and how well the air forks work was a huge surprise (I actually like them better than the Ohlins RFX I had on my 2015 350).

For where I ride and my size/style (mostly sand tracks, I'm 6'2 180ish lbs) I have never had a bike that handles so well. I've ridden it on hard pack and rutty tracks as well and didn't notice any flaws, . It's really confidence inspiring. Maybe it's my love for two strokes, maybe it's the new chassis, but for me this is a really good bike.

So you have had good luck with setting up the AER48 forks then? Seemed like a lot of guys struggled with the 4CS forks. And liking them more than the Ohlins RFX fork.....that is some really good news to hear! That was one of my concerns about this bike were the forks.

@ Michael Scott : This bladder conversion , what's suppose to change on the shock with this? Same question for the X-trig clamp?
12/21/2016 11:01am
PPS Moto wrote:
I love everything about my 2017 TC 250, besides for the carburetion... Which has been a total headache so far. I actually went with a Lectron...

jeffro503 wrote:
So you have had good luck with setting up the AER48 forks then? Seemed like a lot of guys struggled with the 4CS forks. And liking...
So you have had good luck with setting up the AER48 forks then? Seemed like a lot of guys struggled with the 4CS forks. And liking them more than the Ohlins RFX fork.....that is some really good news to hear! That was one of my concerns about this bike were the forks.

@ Michael Scott : This bladder conversion , what's suppose to change on the shock with this? Same question for the X-trig clamp?
Bladder holds more nitrogen I think.. Which helps with less shock fade.. And the shock comes with a nylon adjuster which deforms/breaks after use and the x trig one is metal to stop this
12/21/2016 11:18am
Stock comes with a poston type setup that slides up and down in the reseivior and separates the oil and nitrogen which creates some friction and heats up the oil much faster. The rubber bladder eliminates that issue. I've heard that the nitrogen can leak through the bladder but others have sworn by it so time will tell.

jeffro503
12/21/2016 11:32am
Ah-ha , I get it. Thanks for the info.
ktm212
12/21/2016 2:43pm
Leaned mine out one notch across the board and it runs absolutely perfect, AERs are the best stock forks I've ever ridden, Added a tooth to the rear, Pro Circuit silencer made a massive difference above 1/2 throttle. chassis is still amazing, got like 35 hours on mine since september. still smile every time I hop on it
jeffro503
12/21/2016 3:10pm
Hey for you guys that own a 16' or a 17' could you take a picture from the cockpit looking down towards the shrouds if you have time? ( I can not find one online any where ) I'm curious to see what the difference looks like between those two bikes.
JW381
12/21/2016 3:43pm
Can we delete this thread please? It's giving my brain ideas that my wallet cannot possibly support at this time in my life.
BobPA
12/21/2016 3:46pm
I am still unhappy there is not one in my garage....
jeffro503
12/21/2016 6:55pm
JW381 wrote:
Can we delete this thread please? It's giving my brain ideas that my wallet cannot possibly support at this time in my life.
LMAO! I can't either Justin. I'm willing to eat top ramen noodles and eggs for the next 6 months though if I have too haha.
mxstate
12/21/2016 6:56pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey for you guys that own a 16' or a 17' could you take a picture from the cockpit looking down towards the shrouds if you...
Hey for you guys that own a 16' or a 17' could you take a picture from the cockpit looking down towards the shrouds if you have time? ( I can not find one online any where ) I'm curious to see what the difference looks like between those two bikes.

jeffro503
12/21/2016 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/21/2016 7:10pm
Thank you Mxstate! Is this the 17' model? Damn....I'm pretty sure it is , and it does look a lot more slim than the 16'! I have yet to see one up close around here , so thank you for the picture.
12/21/2016 9:34pm
It's the best. 6.5 hours in and I'm in love. I should of pulled the trigger months ago!
FI2T
12/21/2016 9:55pm
2 bikes in the shop and building a 04yz with a k5.... I am sick of these threads as well. I keep reading about how good these are, makes me want to sell my 450 and go this route.
Alex.434
12/21/2016 11:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2016 12:02am
Deetsmx wrote:
What metering rod are you running in yours? I've had the original one and then the 4-2. I thought I had it dialed with the 4-2...
What metering rod are you running in yours? I've had the original one and then the 4-2. I thought I had it dialed with the 4-2 but then it started pinging the next time I rode it. Went a bit richer but then it developed a slight bog.
Deetsmx: Hey Deets. Here's my notes
2-3 metering rod set at 2.035"
Powerjet 1 turn out
new style dual float assembly
high velocity carb (new style for '17)

I had some issues when I first got it and did quite a bit of back and forth with Lectron. They did more testing since they sent it to me and found they needed to richen it up a bit more, the bikes are pretty fuel hungry. I also had a float bowl level issue, so I ended up just sending it back to them and saying 'here dial it in with all the new settings'. They did (btw awesome customer service) and also hooked me up with the new dual float assembly to try out. So far so good! Works great now.

Joko: The 2012 YZ250 in my picture above is a bone stock OEM loaner. I didn't do shit to it, just rode it a bunch. The YZ platform is a great platform and well proven. No one is going to get off a 'current gen' YZ250 and say it sucks. It does everything 'good' and the sum of the parts is a fine 2-stroke that's been evolved over the decade. Plus tons of mods and hop-ups and so many tuners know how to make them work great!

That said the 2017 TC platform is sublime. It just does everything (imo) better. Class leading brakes. Mind control handling (I love diving inside ruts now). Bike feels planted in corners. Insane smooth and powerful motor. Hydro clutch. Great pegs out of the box. Incredible AER48 fork. I'm no joke riding with more confidence than any other bike before and hitting jumps and lines I'd never do previously. Now mind you I'm a mid/late 30's guy with a day job... but hey... give me a break Wink 2017 platform is noticeably better than my fully dialed in 2013 250SX that I had 65 hours on.

Also here's WP's settings for the AER48 on the TC250 for a 6'1" guy who weights 190-195 butt nekkid
10.4 bar pressure
12 out comp
17 out rebound
There's your baseline

Also go up one spring rate in the back. I have the right sag note somewhere but can't find it.

::edit:: more fun notes. My buddy who works at KTM HQ said to....
"run the yellow powervalve spring and back the PV adjuster out till it's flush with the engine case"

Since he's about as close to the source as it gets, I did that day one and that's that.

Right now:
Fastway AIR EXT pegs
Lectron carb
All of the above notes
Some blue anodized Husky parts cause it adds 2hp

Next up:
Pipe/silencer
Gearing change (I'm thinking a 49 on the back to increase the distance between 2nd and 3rd, MXA style)
Moto Tassarini reed cage setup (is it ready yet.. please?)
Going to try, for the first time in my life, to run higher bars. I'm tired of being hunched over like a overgrown gorilla. Probably CR Highs.

For those of you thinking about buying one... go go go! I was at Pala Sunday (damn was soupy) and was BLOWN AWAY by all the two strokes out there now. Back in 2012 when I decided to go back to a 2-stroke (had a CRF250R) you'd show up at Milestone/Pala/Socal Track and if you were on a two stroke you were one of a handful... if that. Not goon riders on a clapped out dune bike, I mean guys really there to ride two strokes on purpose. Over the last few years it keeps growing.. and growing. This past Sunday my wife looked at me and was like 'yeah you ain't so cool now on your two stroke are ya... every d-bag is doing it!" (she rides a YZ250F)

Ha!
12/22/2016 12:17am
Alex.434 wrote:
[b]Deetsmx[/b]: Hey Deets. Here's my notes 2-3 metering rod set at 2.035" Powerjet 1 turn out new style dual float assembly high velocity carb (new style...
Deetsmx: Hey Deets. Here's my notes
2-3 metering rod set at 2.035"
Powerjet 1 turn out
new style dual float assembly
high velocity carb (new style for '17)

I had some issues when I first got it and did quite a bit of back and forth with Lectron. They did more testing since they sent it to me and found they needed to richen it up a bit more, the bikes are pretty fuel hungry. I also had a float bowl level issue, so I ended up just sending it back to them and saying 'here dial it in with all the new settings'. They did (btw awesome customer service) and also hooked me up with the new dual float assembly to try out. So far so good! Works great now.

Joko: The 2012 YZ250 in my picture above is a bone stock OEM loaner. I didn't do shit to it, just rode it a bunch. The YZ platform is a great platform and well proven. No one is going to get off a 'current gen' YZ250 and say it sucks. It does everything 'good' and the sum of the parts is a fine 2-stroke that's been evolved over the decade. Plus tons of mods and hop-ups and so many tuners know how to make them work great!

That said the 2017 TC platform is sublime. It just does everything (imo) better. Class leading brakes. Mind control handling (I love diving inside ruts now). Bike feels planted in corners. Insane smooth and powerful motor. Hydro clutch. Great pegs out of the box. Incredible AER48 fork. I'm no joke riding with more confidence than any other bike before and hitting jumps and lines I'd never do previously. Now mind you I'm a mid/late 30's guy with a day job... but hey... give me a break Wink 2017 platform is noticeably better than my fully dialed in 2013 250SX that I had 65 hours on.

Also here's WP's settings for the AER48 on the TC250 for a 6'1" guy who weights 190-195 butt nekkid
10.4 bar pressure
12 out comp
17 out rebound
There's your baseline

Also go up one spring rate in the back. I have the right sag note somewhere but can't find it.

::edit:: more fun notes. My buddy who works at KTM HQ said to....
"run the yellow powervalve spring and back the PV adjuster out till it's flush with the engine case"

Since he's about as close to the source as it gets, I did that day one and that's that.

Right now:
Fastway AIR EXT pegs
Lectron carb
All of the above notes
Some blue anodized Husky parts cause it adds 2hp

Next up:
Pipe/silencer
Gearing change (I'm thinking a 49 on the back to increase the distance between 2nd and 3rd, MXA style)
Moto Tassarini reed cage setup (is it ready yet.. please?)
Going to try, for the first time in my life, to run higher bars. I'm tired of being hunched over like a overgrown gorilla. Probably CR Highs.

For those of you thinking about buying one... go go go! I was at Pala Sunday (damn was soupy) and was BLOWN AWAY by all the two strokes out there now. Back in 2012 when I decided to go back to a 2-stroke (had a CRF250R) you'd show up at Milestone/Pala/Socal Track and if you were on a two stroke you were one of a handful... if that. Not goon riders on a clapped out dune bike, I mean guys really there to ride two strokes on purpose. Over the last few years it keeps growing.. and growing. This past Sunday my wife looked at me and was like 'yeah you ain't so cool now on your two stroke are ya... every d-bag is doing it!" (she rides a YZ250F)

Ha!
What altitude are you at? Interesting to hear the yellow spring for mx. I just put my red spring in and love it way more than the yellow... Granted I'm still on a 16 and usually ride at 6,000 feet
mxstate
12/22/2016 3:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
Thank you Mxstate! Is this the 17' model? Damn....I'm pretty sure it is , and it does look a lot more slim than the 16'! I...
Thank you Mxstate! Is this the 17' model? Damn....I'm pretty sure it is , and it does look a lot more slim than the 16'! I have yet to see one up close around here , so thank you for the picture.
Jeffro, Yes it's a 17.

I did have a bad case of reeds cage like some but some aftermarket reeds took care of that. Jetting is finicky for me. Some claim it's not sensitive to temp/humidity changes when mine is.
I settled on a JD spec that works but miss the consistency of my 13 250/300 SX Keihin.
I ordered one and will swap them out soon but as of today the bike runs pretty good.

Chassis is awesome. I'm a (almost) 50 y/o slow vet C and besides a stiffer spring in the rear I did nothing suspension wise. The new frame feels so much more planted.
My 13 had full Ohlins TTX treatment and it is not even close. I was wondering about the AER 48 and it works as expected.
I tried the red PV springs which I preferred on my 2 previous SX but the Yellow (flush) is my choice on the TC.
Yes. it does take a bit of re-adjustment after an EFI bike (i had a 15 FC 450) but for me it's worth the trade. The weight (or lack of here) is a huge plus in my book.
The 450 was just freight train and overwhelming for me. Too much for an old guy.
Don't get me wrong, 450 are awesome if you're fit and ride often. I'm out of this league.

Ergos are top notch, Magura clutch even better than the Brembo. Strong and progressive brakes
Complains : Enough cases of crappy reeds cages or broken reeds and no real action from KTM. (my dealer got a new cage assembly that Husqy did not even bother to inspect. He did before shippping to me and saw the same junk so returned it to them). According to KTM the issue is only with the reeds. Whatever...
I have pre-ordered the VForce (ETA 02/17)

Brraaapp!!!

tek14
12/22/2016 4:46am
mxstate wrote:
Jeffro, Yes it's a 17. I did have a bad case of reeds cage like some but some aftermarket reeds took care of that. Jetting is...
Jeffro, Yes it's a 17.

I did have a bad case of reeds cage like some but some aftermarket reeds took care of that. Jetting is finicky for me. Some claim it's not sensitive to temp/humidity changes when mine is.
I settled on a JD spec that works but miss the consistency of my 13 250/300 SX Keihin.
I ordered one and will swap them out soon but as of today the bike runs pretty good.

Chassis is awesome. I'm a (almost) 50 y/o slow vet C and besides a stiffer spring in the rear I did nothing suspension wise. The new frame feels so much more planted.
My 13 had full Ohlins TTX treatment and it is not even close. I was wondering about the AER 48 and it works as expected.
I tried the red PV springs which I preferred on my 2 previous SX but the Yellow (flush) is my choice on the TC.
Yes. it does take a bit of re-adjustment after an EFI bike (i had a 15 FC 450) but for me it's worth the trade. The weight (or lack of here) is a huge plus in my book.
The 450 was just freight train and overwhelming for me. Too much for an old guy.
Don't get me wrong, 450 are awesome if you're fit and ride often. I'm out of this league.

Ergos are top notch, Magura clutch even better than the Brembo. Strong and progressive brakes
Complains : Enough cases of crappy reeds cages or broken reeds and no real action from KTM. (my dealer got a new cage assembly that Husqy did not even bother to inspect. He did before shippping to me and saw the same junk so returned it to them). According to KTM the issue is only with the reeds. Whatever...
I have pre-ordered the VForce (ETA 02/17)

Brraaapp!!!

aah that FMF silencer fits great. Nice bike you have!
MM504
12/22/2016 6:42am
Well mine is ready to go out for New Years Weekend. I am starting off with the stock carb and have a few tricks to try from dealing with these carbs previously. Also have a Keihin to try as well. I have the Scalvini Exhaust with their shorty carbon silencer and will be trying some different rear sprockets as well. Suspension has been done by Performance Factory in Texas and we will get into the cylinder in a few weeks. I look forward to sharing info with all the TC owners out there.

PPS Moto
12/22/2016 6:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
So you have had good luck with setting up the AER48 forks then? Seemed like a lot of guys struggled with the 4CS forks. And liking...

Yeah, I have 12 hours on the bike, no complaints about the forks so far (this is uncommon for me). I really didn't like the 4CS forks, which lead to quite a bit of concern about the AER forks. This is the first bike I have owned with air forks so I had a bit of "fear of the unknown" as well, but after a few laps all of my worries went away.
12/22/2016 8:32am
MM504 wrote:
Well mine is ready to go out for New Years Weekend. I am starting off with the stock carb and have a few tricks to try...
Well mine is ready to go out for New Years Weekend. I am starting off with the stock carb and have a few tricks to try from dealing with these carbs previously. Also have a Keihin to try as well. I have the Scalvini Exhaust with their shorty carbon silencer and will be trying some different rear sprockets as well. Suspension has been done by Performance Factory in Texas and we will get into the cylinder in a few weeks. I look forward to sharing info with all the TC owners out there.

It's so beautiful thank you for building that

Post a reply to: 2017 Husky 250 TC owners......still happy?

The Latest