2017 Cobra 50 FWE

Brandon_Lake
I’m currently looking at a cobra 50 on Craigslist and I wanted to know from cobra dads what parts you replace often and what is consistently giving you a headache My son rides a KTM 50 right now and I’m seriously thinking about switching brands.
|
simpson335
1/17/2019 8:41am
We just aged out, and a 17FWE is the only 50 experience I have as a "moto-dad". I will start by saying, that the Cobra bikes pretty much dominate the class, at least from what I see down here in TX. With that being said, I was blown away at the frequency of required "Clutch Milk" changes. Manual gives a pretty short service interval, but in reality it needs to be changed after every ride day. The faster kids parents are changing clutch fluid after every moto.

The clutches in these little bikes get HOT, and not changing the fluid frequently will lead to burnt up clutch shoes, and cost you.

Clutch was the biggest headache for us, because manual gives a couple of suggestions for trying to dial in the "hit" or rpm that the clutch engages. It's a different type of feel than I've ever been around since the bike doesn't move at all until the RPMs are getting up there. We tried several times to dial in the hit, or lower the rpm's needed for engagement, but at the end of the day all that did was wear clutches out faster. Finally just replaced with new and left the washer stacks in the stock position. Clutch shoes lasted longer that way.

Glad we're done with 50's to be honest. Loving the YZ65 "regular" bike maintenance schedule.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. I've got one taking up space in the garage that I cant seem to get sold.
jwoltz
1/17/2019 8:49am
I’m currently looking at a cobra 50 on Craigslist and I wanted to know from cobra dads what parts you replace often and what is consistently...
I’m currently looking at a cobra 50 on Craigslist and I wanted to know from cobra dads what parts you replace often and what is consistently giving you a headache My son rides a KTM 50 right now and I’m seriously thinking about switching brands.
Why do you want to get away from the ktm for your son.
Tracktor
1/17/2019 1:27pm
Buy a welder! Our past experience with Cobras (2012 era) was broke frames one regular. From brackets to main spars. I was very meticulous about maintenance & it wasn't just our bikes. The biggest complaint I had at the time was the use of a bushing instead of bearing on swingarm pivot. This caused extra stress on front motor mounts. They may have changed that since then though.
I will say they are great little bikes if you stay in front of them. Get behind on maintenance or react to problems and all performance 50's are a shitshow no matter what brand........
4DAIVIPAI2K5
1/17/2019 3:55pm
Do it.
I use ATF, Castrol red label. Change it after each ride day. Don't mess with the clutch, leave it stock and just ride it.
Wheel bearing go out quick, that is about the only issue Ive had with 2015 jr, 2018 jr x2, currently on a 2018 sr, an 2019 65.
Get with minton cycle for and dealer help.

The Shop

Wilson116
Fantasy
1599th
1/18/2019 9:28am
I own both KTM and Cobra 50's and have two kids racing. 6 in 1 hand half dozen in the other really. Biggest difference is you will get twice as long out of the KTM clutch but it will cost you 3 times as much to buy a new one. Clutch Milk is easily the best 3 shoe clutch oil. Change it every two hours unless the big over heats. KTM you can pick what ever Dex 3 transmission oil you want and change it every 30 minutes. If your not racing I wouldnt buy either.. If your not racing go japanees 50 > 110 > 65 2t or 140 4t
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
1/18/2019 11:14am
Buy a good used 65 and get the ball rolling on using a clutch. You can skip the whole PeeWee mess, and be so much happier in the end. 50’s put a strain on every aspect of your moto experience , I wish I had skipped 50’s altogether. Looking back, I would have in a heartbeat. 50’s completely suck....

Post a reply to: 2017 Cobra 50 FWE

The Latest